PDA

View Full Version : Hows this not illegal?

MissJacksonCA
26-Aug-2007, 03:56 AM
I'm sure Americans know or have at least heard of JD Byryder... I remember hearing their advertisements during commercials on the radio as a kid... never really paid any mind to them... now what I can't believe is legal is this... they never put price tags on their cars or even quote the price of the car to the consumer *until* they go into their little office and run the perspective buyers credit through the ringer and then they determine the price... its like credentially profiling or something... and to my idea... it should be illegal...

I mean ... you can't jack up the prices of air conditioners during a heat wave so how is this possible?

Found that out in this story...

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/ManageDebt/MintingMoneyOffPoverty.aspx?page=2

Its not even like giving a high risk person a high interest loan... because their high risk shows that they might not pay... but to actually set a price on something depending on the consumer... wtf?

Dawg
27-Aug-2007, 08:19 PM
It's f**king crooked in my book as well.

It is like in some stores, the prices are different in different towns, depending on 'the market', WTF?!!

You know one way to deal with them? Don't. No one should even set foot in their little scam and buy from them and hopefully they would go out of business.

Most states I know, you are suppose to display the price for all to see, especially in stores in Michigan as I understand.

:dead:Dawg

MissJacksonCA
27-Aug-2007, 11:07 PM
Wow I never really figured that stores in other location would price goods differently depending on the market but you're so right! Today I had to drive fifteen minutes away to another Target to look for some pills and WTF? They were an extra two dollars there. Felt like debating how badly I need OTC sleeping pills.

I can understand a store marking up goods if they're in a touristy area or if they're where the uber wealthy live... nothing like sacking it to people who can afford it which is personally funny to me because my dad only and exclusively grocery shops where his main office is which is in a scary part o town so the groceries there are cheaper than where he lives. But like purposefully going person by person to price a good wtf?

On a semi related note... I just bought a new used SUV... a Mazda Tribute... the sticker price in the window of the car in the dealership was 22K... when I was checking out their vehicles online it was priced at a little over 12k... when I compared the vin numbers they were the same so I naturally demanded the internet price... but wtf? How can they show two different prices in two places and get away with it?

jdog
28-Aug-2007, 05:10 AM
sounds like a scam to me. it should be against the law to do that

DeadJonas190
28-Aug-2007, 05:46 AM
I don't know if that is leagle, it dosn't sound like it should be. As far as places charging different prices for goods in different locations, I can say that it happens everywhere, including Blockbuster. At my BB our movie rental price is $3.69, but at a store south of us it is $2.99 and the stores to the north of us are $4.49 and up. The thing with that is that south of us is closer to Detroit where there is less money and to the north of us is where people with more money live.

The Target thing is funny, I experianced a similar thing a couple weeks ago. I was at a Target in a nicer area than the one I usually go to and that Target was cheaper than mine. I actually found a set of sheets for my bed for $7.50 and they were $14.99 at the one near me. I guess it could have been a sale at that store and not at the one I go to, but I didn't ask.

Scott
28-Aug-2007, 10:11 AM
Keep in mind that the price varies across the country because the average wage/standard of living is different all over the country.

DjfunkmasterG
28-Aug-2007, 12:27 PM
What JD Byryder does is really just a legal form of theft. They prey on the less fortunate people of society because they are the easiest target to get $$$$ from.

That article is no surprise to me, I actually know first hand what that is like. When I had to personally claim bankruptcy in 2003, because of being laid off due to 9/11, I had to start all over from scratch. I paid 24.99% on a car loan, but it wasn't an old clunker it was a brand new Left over 2002 Mustang GT, Yeah I could of went with a lesser car, but I know I wouldn't have been happy so I bought something new with a warranty and what I like to drive. I paid on that for 18 months, bought a left over 2004 GT in January 05 at 12% Traded that in November 05 for my 06 at 7.9% interest, now I am in an 07 at 5.9%.

I stayed away from CC's during my financial recovery, It was hard but I just cut back on spending, stopped wasting $$$ on **** I hardly used, and for the little extras I would save up for it. I had a good job once I started working again, and I am in a very strong field with better security than most jobs. I was able to raise my credit score 250 points and 3 years after my Bankruptcy I bought a home at 6% interest.

It is a matter of pacing yourself. It sucks at first especially if you were like me, a compulsive spender, but once you set yourself to it you quickly realize how fast you can save up the money for your new toy. I already have a savings account going with about $5000 in it for my next new car in 2009, but the time the car is out I will have almost half the cost of vehicle saved to put down on it.

Best solutions to quick debt relief.

1. Don't let your bills go into collection, if they do quickly make modest arrangements to pay them in monthly installments. If you have a doctors bill of $200.00... paying $50 a month on it is better than the 30 points you will lose on yoru credit score if it goes into collection.

2. If you have crap credit but a job paying a decent wage that leaves you extra cash, go out and buy the car at the higher rate, but make your payments and make the payments affordable. As you pay this type of loan and pay it well, banks will see what you can handle both a high debt and payment so when you go to trade up in the future you will get more car for your payment.

3. Stay the hell away from Credit Cards. In todays world you have to have it for emergency purposes, but keep it for those type on purposes. Don't buy gas on your credit card. If something you need has to be bought on a credit card and it isn't an emergency purpose... then you don't friggin' need it.

4. So you want a new laptop or PC, or WS TV... Oh it is only $2500.00 let me just plop it on the visa. WRONG! If you make $40,000 a year, or even $30,000 it is possible to own that TV and not have to make payments on it. Start a savings account, and do the following. With fall and winter coming the need to be outdoors wasting money tends to take a back seat. If you spent $200 a weekend partying during the summer take that $200 and put it in your bank account... a separate savings account. In 10 short weeks you have $2000.00 That TV you want today will still be there or be replaced by a better version at a lesser price... it can wait.

Even if you have a credit score of 330 (Bottom of the barrel) it is possible to raise that score to a better level fast by making an attempt to pay your bills. Make the arrangements with the creditor, and let them know you will agree to pay this amount every month as long as they report to the bureau your making payments. Every 6 months your score will rise about 20-50 points. It takes a lot of restraint, but it does work. Hey, I have zero will power for things like this, but... I developed it fast and now I realize it is the best thing I could have ever done.

Manage your money wisely. I am not saying at age 22 you have to worry about retiring, if you have a good job you can wait til age 40 to start a 401K and still have a comfortable retirement, but while your young take responsibility of your finances otherwise when you get in your 30's it could make your life a nightmare.

Yojimbo
29-Aug-2007, 01:53 AM
Keep in mind that the price varies across the country because the average wage/standard of living is different all over the country.

You are correct, Sir. We are the United States of America, and we are capitalistic society. I say that proudly. We are capitalists and the market will set the price. Supply and demand and all that nonsense. We do have controls that penalize unfair gouging, (usery laws and the like) but as much as an advocate of capitalism that I am, I think that institutions that prey on the stupidity of the average person are simply abusing the system. What they do should be illegal if it is not already.

DJ raises a good point about having a fiscally intelligent plan and sticking to that plan. How many of us actually save money for retirement?

It occurs to me that the majority of folks out there are too irresponsible for their own good, and it is just that sort of mentality that makes them easy prey for predatory lenders, high interest credit card companies and used car salesmen. We have no one to blame but ourselves when we fall victim to these leeches and we should not expect the government to save us if we do not even care to save ourselves.

MissJacksonCA
29-Aug-2007, 03:15 AM
I'm a uber huge fan of Dave Ramsey so for tips on getting out of debt and how to save listen to his radio show and/or read his books the man is a genious...

But I do save for retirement, I pay my own medical insurance, I pay for my life insurance, and right now i'm saving to own a home here in the U.S. ...when I have to buy a car like I just did... I pay for it in cash and I buy something economical and useful I dont need to be flashy

I've been in financial peril before without a dime to my name I owned nothing and I slept on peoples sofas... I learned the value of a dollar working a crap wage paying job and learned it again working 80 hours a week in a restaurant for no tips from people who drove Lexus' and Cadillacs... even now as I own my biz I know the value of money and I thank my lucky stars that I've been down and out... because I know how to save and how to spend and I'm in a good place financially... I may never be a billionaire but that's okay because I dont live like I am one and thus dont drive myself into debt everyday...

Unfortunately despite making all the right money choices my dream of owning a home in my homeland of California may never come into fruition... its so obscene to live there i'll have to be waiting for foreclosures til kingdom come... so that may take me 15 years but hey... there's nothing between me and my goals but time and opportunity and I know what i'm going to do about it...do you?

Arcades057
29-Aug-2007, 08:22 AM
Hey, simple answer: Don't go there. Problem solved without the wall o' text, and without hiring a lawyer.

Apparently the US is filled with rubes who'll go there and buy cars, so let them.