PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to steal what you can't see?

MissJacksonCA
28-Aug-2007, 09:39 PM
http://www.switched.com/2007/08/23/man-arrested-for-mooching-neighbors-wi-fi/

Wow I didn't know you could steal a persons WiFi unsecured network... kinda gives me the warm fuzzies because I have wifi and unsecured and I pay through the nose for it but I think its funny that you actually have to be a customer of Starbucks to enjoy their wifi... or other similar coffee bar...

I can understand arresting a person for stealing wifi from anothers home because thats a way for identity theives to gain access to your info... *but* think its kinda silly to do it if you're sponging off a cafe wifi

Cody
28-Aug-2007, 09:47 PM
When I worked for Starbucks they stole from Paneras Wifi because it was better :P

MissJacksonCA
28-Aug-2007, 09:50 PM
lol... Panera rocks... I've never actually taken my laptop to a cafe it freaks me out someone might spill something into it ... or someone might steal my puter from me on my way to the car...

DeadJonas190
29-Aug-2007, 06:02 AM
I have my wifi secured so hopefully nobody has cracked my WEP key to access it. I guess I am a criminal though as my Nintendo DS detected and connected to my neighbors wifi connection one time. I hope he doesn't sue me.

MissJacksonCA
29-Aug-2007, 05:27 PM
Is there any way to secure my wifi without having to call Linksys call center in India? I tried watching the video with the article but it was about as useful as those instructions a flight attendant gives about where the exits are and what to do when the plane crashes...

Cody
29-Aug-2007, 05:48 PM
I find those instructions very useful.

;)

fartpants
29-Aug-2007, 06:11 PM
when my internet failed recently i went on my neighbours wi-fi for about a week until mine was fixed, he never knew a thing about it and once mine was fixed the first thing i did was secure my wi-fi cos i was amazed how easy it was to connect to someone elses...

Cody
29-Aug-2007, 06:15 PM
Can you even tell if someone is using your wifi?

Maitreya
29-Aug-2007, 06:37 PM
Can you even tell if someone is using your wifi?

Not that I know of...

This case is quite idiotic. It can't be considered stealing unless they put up security measures to prevent people from getting in. It's not like it charges more the more you use the internet either.

MissJacksonCA
29-Aug-2007, 07:04 PM
Good points Mait... you dont get charged more when someone sponges off your wifi but what it does do is open you up to people stealing information from your computer *and* if say... your neighbor has wifi and is paying through the nose for it he doesn't want someone else to use it because hey... if you're going to use it then damn well chip in for it...