PDA

View Full Version : Silly Dawn of the Dead question (Romero)

Ivarr
04-Sep-2007, 01:51 PM
Ok, so after they shoot all the zombies in the head ... they have to clean up the place.... so they choose to put all the corpses in a walk in fridge ... full of food that still looked fine... But will not be anymore ...

Why didn't they just put them in the Ice Skating rink?

It had plenty of space ... would have kept the bodies on "ice" so to speak and it was room that they mostly didn't use.

And if you recall.... they never did run out of power.

Hell, they could have stacked the bodies up in there and covered them with blankets or anything ... and kept the food clean.

DOH!

Griff
04-Sep-2007, 02:18 PM
But then the hilarious skeletons-in-the-closet analogy would be lost!

AcesandEights
04-Sep-2007, 02:39 PM
Ok, so after they shoot all the zombies in the head ... they have to clean up the place.... so they choose to put all the corpses in a walk in fridge ... full of food that still looked fine...

I've often wondered the same thing.

Hell, they could have stacked the bodies up in there and covered them with blankets or anything ... and kept the food clean.

DOH!

A short term solution, but not a long term one...I guess it would depend on how long they were planning on staying there (which seemed to be a 'for the immediate future' sort of the thing). Best bet would be to move the dead out of the building asap, but I'm trying to recall the number of dead that needed to be cleaned and it was quite a few, so doing that would have been one hell of a task.

capncnut
05-Sep-2007, 01:48 AM
Best bet would be to move the dead out of the building asap, but I'm trying to recall the number of dead that needed to be cleaned and it was quite a few, so doing that would have been one hell of a task.
Indeed, elevator to the roof and throw them down in front of the trucks. Hell a good 200 bodies might've held off the bikers for a few hours...

Philly_SWAT
05-Sep-2007, 02:20 AM
Indeed, elevator to the roof and throw them down in front of the trucks. Hell a good 200 bodies might've held off the bikers for a few hours...
Not sure if there was an elevator to the roof, but I have said repeatedly that they should have taken the bodies to the roof and thrown them off. It wasnt like they had anything else to do.....if they were there for a few months, what else were they doing all day? I mean, how much shopping could Fran do? How much single-player raquetball could Peter play? How many pictures was Flyboy going to take? They really had nothing more important to do then to get those bodies out of there.

clanglee
05-Sep-2007, 02:43 AM
Yup, I wondered about that myself. Maybe they were just lazy, and not too hungry. Seems a waste tho.

Cody
05-Sep-2007, 02:59 AM
Ivvar you look like a cop....but thats not the important part. the important part is the zombies wouldnt of been able to ope that door and excape if infance some of them remained alive

Ivarr
05-Sep-2007, 12:47 PM
Why do I look like a Cop? :)

I'm a network engineer by trade :)

And that picture is me going to a holoween party as a zombie.

AcesandEights
05-Sep-2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah, if you tossed them off the roof you'd best do it at a point that tends to be down-wind and is on the side or corner farthest from the core area of habitation.

MinionZombie
05-Sep-2007, 06:05 PM
Forget flinging bodies down, they should have ripped out the wires on the trucks rather than leaving them taped up...silly billies. :p

And yeah, everytime I watch Dawn I go "ah man, the MEAT!"...but they probably had other fridges/freezers packed with meat, not just one...mind you, a lot of zombies...the ice rink would be a bit fiddly to put them on (keep slipped over), and they'd probably stink up more, rather than being in a confined, frozen place...so I guess it makes the most sense...still though, all that meat...damn...and the FRIGGIN TAPED UP TRUCKS, GAH! :D

bassman
05-Sep-2007, 06:10 PM
Too bad the mall probably didn't have a furnace. Just burn them all....

And about the doors/trucks. Seeing as how this mall supposedly had everything, they could have welded gates from the stores around the exterior doors....

MissJacksonCA
06-Sep-2007, 02:03 AM
I kinda figured they put the dead bodies into the walk in cooler because hey... after a few days (depending on the last shipment to the restaurant) the food would spoil and thus who needs it? Besides... the jcpenneys should have a few fridges too...

And where else were they supposed to target practice?

DEAD BEAT
06-Sep-2007, 03:45 AM
Ok, so after they shoot all the zombies in the head ... they have to clean up the place.... so they choose to put all the corpses in a walk in fridge ... full of food that still looked fine... But will not be anymore ...

Why didn't they just put them in the Ice Skating rink?

It had plenty of space ... would have kept the bodies on "ice" so to speak and it was room that they mostly didn't use.

And if you recall.... they never did run out of power.

DOH!

This was brought up b4 and i noticed nobody has mentioned an important fact!

Remember the outbreak had been out of control for weeks which i imagine the mall was abandoned about that long as well.

Point being if you recall the first night of getting there and doing the hit and run, that they had barely turned on the power which had been off for god knows how long!

No power in the building for weeks means no power to the fridge and so no cold air to keep the meat fresh," it was bad already im sure!

Besides that ive been in those freezers b4 they are so cold you can't smell anything, im sure if they had to run in for a steak "no problemo"!

;):D:cool:

MissJacksonCA
06-Sep-2007, 03:49 AM
What you said Dead beat kinda made me wonder... maybe the zombies aren't so far from us... sure they eat raw human flesh but people eat raw flesh all the time... maybe GAR was trying to say stop eating meat you sickies... maybe just maybe ... or maybe not who knows...

Slain
06-Sep-2007, 07:40 AM
In the screenplay for Dawn of the Dead they put all the dead mall zombies inside a bank vault.

MinionZombie
06-Sep-2007, 10:09 AM
Still, the meat would be rotten is what you're saying - good point, hadn't thought of the power angle...nyaaah, clever bugger. :D

Anyway, if the meat was still fine, putting infectious zombies in there, yeugh! No way man, surely the disease would kinda spread around all over the meat eventually, although perhaps the deep cold would keep that in check...still, wouldn't risk it for some roast beef. :D

Also - you'd have to get the bleach out in force for cleaning up all the blood, heck, I'd be putting on chemical clothing to be handling dead zombies!

Ivarr
06-Sep-2007, 10:36 AM
In the screenplay for Dawn of the Dead they put all the dead mall zombies inside a bank vault.

Now that would have made sense....

But I can aslo understand why the bank might have been less that happy to do that.

I am still sticking to the ice ring idea... faster to do ... and anyone who has ever sat in one knows that the whole room is like 40 degrees.

Not to mention that i have yet to see any rink that did not have a big roll up loading dock style door in it. Wtih walky talkies and somebody on the roof they could have pushed them out the door. I doubt that the whole Mall was under siege by thousands of Z's. If it was, the bikers whould have never gotten in.

And lets just be honest ... how many of us would not have run straight for the chopper when we saw the column of pain coming down the road toward the mall....

But that was the point GAR was making ... they were so locked into the "consumer" mind set that they could not even think of giving up the mall. It was their heaven ... But as we saw it was also their prison ... and it was killing them.

I just know this .... If ever Zombies do rise and walk the earth ... I am NOT going to a Mall :)

darth los
06-Sep-2007, 08:57 PM
Ivvar you look like a cop

:lol::lol:

So there's no way you would light up with him in the vcinity?

dogma789
07-Sep-2007, 02:55 AM
Deleted post.

MissJacksonCA
07-Sep-2007, 03:31 AM
Another part of it could've been they had the mentality that even though the zombies were killed they were still a possible mental threat so they put them in the walk in because its like a frickin bank vault in there and thus... if you locked in the dead zombies you'd 'feel' safer...

jim102016
07-Sep-2007, 12:57 PM
Another part of it could've been they had the mentality that even though the zombies were killed they were still a possible mental threat so they put them in the walk in because its like a frickin bank vault in there and thus... if you locked in the dead zombies you'd 'feel' safer...

They were a threat alright, a health threat! Twice-baked dead bodies, sure first thing I'd do was to place them in with my food supply! They were just lazy bastards, they should have figured out a way to throw them off the roof. Should have figured it out before they put the false wall in place.

The ice rink would have been a good temporary storage facility if they decided to gradually take them out through the roof, a few a day maybe. Once up on the roof, they could have made it fun by building a catapult so the bodies didn't pile up next to the building and create a huge stink.

Has anyone ever looked at the mall's blueprints to see if there is another access point going to the roof?

DjfunkmasterG
07-Sep-2007, 01:35 PM
This was brought up b4 and i noticed nobody has mentioned an important fact!

Remember the outbreak had been out of control for weeks which i imagine the mall was abandoned about that long as well.

Point being if you recall the first night of getting there and doing the hit and run, that they had barely turned on the power which had been off for god knows how long!

No power in the building for weeks means no power to the fridge and so no cold air to keep the meat fresh," it was bad already im sure!

Besides that ive been in those freezers b4 they are so cold you can't smell anything, im sure if they had to run in for a steak "no problemo"!

;):D:cool:

Actually freezers are on their own separate circuits and not all the Malls power was off it is just at a minimum when they arrived. Cold Food storage would always be kept on for restauants.

Dommm
07-Sep-2007, 01:50 PM
they could've been vegetarians???

Griff
07-Sep-2007, 07:15 PM
I think you guys are missing out on the whole 'sweeping it under the rug' metaphor. No, they haven't adequately dealt with it. That's kinda the point.

AcesandEights
07-Sep-2007, 07:36 PM
I think you guys are missing out on the whole 'sweeping it under the rug' metaphor. No, they haven't adequately dealt with it. That's kinda the point.

I don't buy that this was the intention of GAR, but...I suppose you could be right. I bet if you asked GAR today, after the fact, he might even agree with you on this...(wouldn't make it true though).

Griff
07-Sep-2007, 07:45 PM
Of course it seems that they've dealt with the problem but I think its inevitable from the start that the situation just can't sustaine itself. I mean, just how long is that power gonna stay on? And what are they gonna do in there? Rebuild society in shopping mall? Is Peter gonna be content to play handyman while the other two raise a child? It was a fool's paradise from the start and isn't supposed to stand up to scrutiny.

AcesandEights
07-Sep-2007, 07:47 PM
It was a fool's paradise from the start and isn't supposed to stand up to scrutiny.

Fair point, that.

DruNewp
08-Sep-2007, 05:50 AM
Let's remember that our four friends were attempting to do everything they could to live a normal, cozy life in the mall they called home. Like the old saying goes - out of sight, out of mind. Throwing bodies all over an ice rink, in full view, wouldn't be consistent. In a freezer, with a close-able door makes more sense.

Besides - they did use the rink once and awhile.

Yojimbo
08-Sep-2007, 04:49 PM

True that. Also in the novelization too.

I always assumed that they could not get the authorization to shoot in the vault, hence the change to the freezer.

hadrian0117
11-Sep-2007, 11:05 PM
...Point being if you recall the first night of getting there and doing the hit and run, that they had barely turned on the power which had been off for god knows how long!

No power in the building for weeks means no power to the fridge and so no cold air to keep the meat fresh," it was bad already im sure!...

The power was still on when they got to the mall (they even made a comment on how the power was still on). All they did was turn on things like the Muzak and escalators.

jim102016
11-Sep-2007, 11:49 PM
The power was still on when they got to the mall (they even made a comment on how the power was still on). All they did was turn on things like the Muzak and escalators.

I remember them walking around on top of the mall after they land, Peter says something about the power still being on in the area. I always thought he said "could be nuclear" or something like that?

AcesandEights
12-Sep-2007, 12:06 AM
I always thought he said "could be nuclear" or something like that?

I have a distinct memory of this, as well.

MinionZombie
12-Sep-2007, 10:03 AM
Yeah he definitely says the power is still on in the area, and "could be nuclear" as well.