PDA

View Full Version : Great Article on DIARY

DruNewp
08-Sep-2007, 06:23 AM
**** YEAH! Get ready peeps!

-- ----------------------

Romero's 'Diary' breathes new life into the dead

By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY
It sure looked as if the zombie revival was on the brink of expiring. Especially after the flesh-eaters were reduced to a livestock joke in the ill-fated comedy Black Sheep. Tagline: "Get ready for the Violence of the Lambs."

But if anyone could keep the genre on life support, it's the filmmaker who more or less invented it nearly 40 years ago with Night of the Living Dead, George A. Romero.

MORE: Argento, Gordon add flair to Midnight Madness

With Diary of the Dead, which premieres Saturday as part of the Toronto International Film Festival's Midnight Madness program, the 67-year-old guru of gobbling ghouls has done a radical rewind, imagining what a 21st-century zombie outbreak would be like.

The film already is creating a stir: A Toronto Star poll of in-the-know festivalgoers picked Diary of the Dead as one of the most-anticipated titles.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Sept. 11 | Hurricane Katrina | Director | Toronto International Film Festival | Diary | Night of the Living Dead | Wes Craven | George A Romero | Snapshots | Del Toro

Whereas Night used strangers barricaded in a farmhouse to reflect the nightmares of the Vietnam era, Diary downloads a post-9/11 and Hurricane Katrina image of widespread chaos for the YouTube/MySpace generation.

"I had a version of the story in mind when I was doing Land of the Dead," he says, referring to his return to his zombie roots in 2005. "I thought it would be cool to go back to Day 1, when it all starts, and lay media stuff on top."

The action centers on a group of students filming an old-fashioned horror movie for school. The scares turn real when they see shocking TV footage of corpses feasting on the living. The class assignment evolves into a documentary, obsessively shot by Jason (Joshua Close), who is driven to record every terrifying moment of their frantic escape in a Winnebago.

Though the movie might sound Blair Witch Project-inspired, the handheld camera doesn't shake and the background blares with news reports (some of it actual coverage of Katrina and 9/11), radio broadcasts and amateur Web accounts.

"During the shootings at Virginia Tech, people were filming out of the windows," Romero says. "CNN was asking flood victims to send in pictures. We have all this information now, but it's not being managed."

Though Diary is a departure, it also retains much of the lore and the gore from the director's original four-part Dead saga, but with a few tasty twists. Instead of halting zombies by just shooting them in the head, one stalker gets his brains eaten by chemicals. The slow vs. swift zombie debate continues, with Romero making a humorous case for his shambling brand.

And there are cameos. Those who pay attention might recognize voice-overs by Stephen King, Quentin Tarantino, Simon Pegg, Wes Craven and Guillermo Del Toro.

Romero has declared his low-budget independence again after collaborating with Universal on Land of the Dead, which was lauded by critics but earned a middling $20 million.

"I'm not bitter," he says. "I was amazed by the reviews." But a date switch from fall to summer proved to be a bad move: "I thought it would do better than it did, but it got lost between Batman Begins and War of the Worlds."

Romero prefers working without studio interference. "That way, if I see a nice sunset, I can shoot it without writing a memo. I am able to do what I want — and dig my own grave."

He isn't ready to bury his interest in the waking deceased anytime soon. They continue to be the perfect vessels for what he calls his "snapshots in time." Besides, Romero has another premise. A full-out zombie comedy. One that presumably does not involve sheep.

Cody
08-Sep-2007, 07:34 PM
Its good that hes working alone, he did it with night all look what happened to that bad boy.

MinionZombie
08-Sep-2007, 08:20 PM
Once again, my excitement for this flick ramps up another notch - bring it the fudge on! :)

What's all this "ill fated" chat about Black Sheep, it's not even out yet is it?

AcesandEights
08-Sep-2007, 08:29 PM
What's all this "ill fated" chat about Black Sheep, it's not even out yet is it?

Yeah, the recent flare up in all things zombie is more than just than a brush fire, it's been going hard and heavy for a while now and has produced some good movies (sure, some crappy ones) some good games, a ****load of nice books and comics and now brings us our second Romero flick in a handful of years! Good times, as far as I'm concerned. So some overdone movie-trend farce is going to lampoon zombie films?

Anyway, I'm trying not to get all ramped up about this movie, like I did Land, and am really avoiding a ton of the details, but...yeah...I can't wait to see it.

DruNewp
08-Sep-2007, 08:39 PM
Yeah, the recent flare up in all things zombie is more than just than a brush fire, it's been going hard and heavy for a while now and has produced some good movies (sure, some crappy ones) some good games, a ****load of nice books and comics and now brings us our second Romero flick in a handful of years! Good times, as far as I'm concerned. So some overdone movie-trend farce is going to lampoon zombie films?

I'm trying not to get all ramped up about this movie, like I did Land, and am really avoiding a ton of the details, but...yeah...I can't wait to see it.

I LOVE romero's motivation for the film - he's commenting on the digital age of media, and how EVERYONE can be a newscaster now. But I'm also trying not to read up and look up EVERY single thing about Diary like I did with Land.

As far as I'm concerned, keep the zombie craze coming. True fans can separate the crap from the real stuff, and no amount of crap will make us sick of the genre. The only thing that can happen is the craze fizzles down and the mainstream loses interest - who cares!?

Danny
09-Sep-2007, 01:34 AM
im jsut praying someone mutters some variation of the "there dead, there..all messed up" line in this, cus it really seems to be like night for this day in age, and not just plot wise.

DruNewp
09-Sep-2007, 07:58 AM
Agreed. Romero himself is comparing it to Night. He said the only real way to comment on the digital media and "everyone is a journalist" idea was to bring it back to the original outbreak.

Could you imagine if a zombie outbreak really did happen and how many amateur videos there would be? Camcorders, cell phone videos, etc. Everyone's got a means to report now...

jdog
09-Sep-2007, 08:07 AM
i cant wait to see this. very excited to see gar's new vision.