PDA

View Full Version : silent hill 5 gameplay footage

Danny
08-Sep-2007, 07:43 AM
RgCZlR7X0xM

Well its more than i was expecting, my thoughts?

1:its a nice suprise theyve taken the one thing i liked from that god aweful movie, the transition to the dark world via the walls crumbling into nothing adn revleaing all wire and mesh grating and the like behind it, jsut under the surface, and using the ingame engine as well, noooiyce!.
2:...another hospital?, and they all a have a different layout, bad conitnuity vibe right there, least silent hill 12 and 4 were just set in old and new silent hill respectivley.
3:it kinda of looks a little unorigional, another creepy little girl, more smashing nurses, whos costumes appear to be shrinking ,gross, with lead pipes and gorey darkness, it can only go so long.
4: and given that the fogs not too deep for my liking, especially considering the stephen king novel the mist inspired silent hills creation whilst ill get it and it will no doubt rock a bakers dozen of cocks i really think its gonna be blown away by alan wake.

Cody
08-Sep-2007, 07:14 PM
Graphics look awesome I must say. Its the same old stuff thats in every other twisted metal though. Its like if they kept all the other Resident Evils after 3 and kept them in Racoon City....same old stuff..

Danny
09-Sep-2007, 01:12 AM
thats true but rmemeber 4 was actual set in the nieghbouring town of ashfeild so this is a return to the town.

Cody
09-Sep-2007, 01:26 AM
wtf why did I saw twisted metal???

capncnut
09-Sep-2007, 07:21 AM
its a nice suprise theyve taken the one thing i liked from that god aweful movie, the transition to the dark world via the walls crumbling into nothing adn revleaing all wire and mesh grating and the like behind it, jsut under the surface, and using the ingame engine as well, noooiyce!.
Yeah, I noticed that. Seems to work very well in-game too.

Danny
10-Sep-2007, 02:30 AM
beats just fading to black at a dodgy camera angle then switchin' if you have even a little know how about how games are contsurcted thats just straight up cheap.

MikePizzoff
11-Sep-2007, 10:19 PM
Looks great. I can't wait to play this and get scared the way I did when I first played through Silent Hill 2. I've had Silent Hill 4 for years but can't get any further than like a half hour into the game-play because it's just boring and the damn ghosts are annoying.

PJoseph
13-Sep-2007, 03:23 AM
Those are all interesting comments. Obviously I can't say too much, but as a fan of the game for ten years and now being on the other side, I can say based on what I've seen, it's going to go some very wild places.

pJ

Danny
13-Sep-2007, 03:36 AM
i hope it has more in toluca lake and the woods and stuff, plus if it is set in the 70's itd be cool to see a young walter sullivan or something, i mean theyve allready got the cahracter model form 4.
plus id like to see a reason why laura was in silent hill 2, other than her being another aspect of mary like maria there shouldnt have beena reason why she was in silent hill since it "only draws those with darkness in there hearts", so why was a little kid drawn there?, its been buggin' me.

capncnut
14-Sep-2007, 10:10 PM
And I would like to see more primitive weapons, stuff like machine guns have no place in Silent Hill. It's the investigative element of the game that I love the most.

id like to see a reason why laura was in silent hill 2, other than her being another aspect of mary like maria there shouldnt have beena reason why she was in silent hill since it "only draws those with darkness in there hearts", so why was a little kid drawn there?, its been buggin' me.
Well, the fact that Laura was semi-adopted by Mary, only to have her die as well would be more than enough to fill up a child's heart with darkness. Besides, Laura wasn't innocent by any means, especially when she tried to trap james in the hospital.

James: "Hey, lemme out you little brat!"
Laura: "Shut up, fart-face!" :D

Danny
15-Sep-2007, 02:02 AM
yeah but compared to the others who were murderers, or in eddies case just mentally unstable being a brat's not exactly "a heart od darkness" is it?

i mean you had:

James sunderland: Couldnt cope with creing for his terminally ill wife and her degenerative disease so he soffocated her witha pillow and (i think) put her body in the boot adn drove off to there "specail place" and thats when it gets wierd.

Angela: (i think taht was her name, its been a while) was pysichally abused by her father when she was younger and then snapped and killed him.

Eddie: constantly the butt of jokes he snapped and shot a dog , though i think he may have killed someone as well, he certainly goes nuts by the end.

Maria: created by james' subconious to represent a part of mary he didnt see at teh end, outgoing ,confident ect.

and to balance that he created pyramid head to repeatedly kill her till it hammered home the message that he blacked out killing mary and then when he has no need for maria or pyramid head anymroe confronts his inner fears.

So then theres laura, whos cahracter model even has a head shaped a lot like mary and marias character models, had a connection to mary but knew here supposedly after she had died. and got through the town without noticing any monsters, cus as shown by vincent in silent hill 3 ,not everyone sees silent hill as a town full of monsters, so what exatcly was laura?:sneaky:

capncnut
15-Sep-2007, 05:46 AM
So then theres laura, whos cahracter model even has a head shaped a lot like mary and marias character models, had a connection to mary but knew here supposedly after she had died. and got through the town without noticing any monsters, cus as shown by vincent in silent hill 3 ,not everyone sees silent hill as a town full of monsters, so what exatcly was laura?:sneaky:
Maybe James got Mary up the duff, and Laura is his subconcious' way of telling him that he may have killed his own kid. I know it's not said in the game but hey, it's a theory. :D

Danny
15-Sep-2007, 05:48 AM
heh, thats perfectly sane compared to some of the theorys you hear on the silent hill forum lemme tell ya'.

PJoseph
16-Sep-2007, 05:19 PM
"stuff like machine guns have no place in Silent Hill. "

What about the Uzi they put in SH3?

pJ

Cykotic
16-Sep-2007, 05:21 PM
i must admit, although I'm not a big fan of silent hill, that footage looked pretty nice

Danny
16-Sep-2007, 05:41 PM
"stuff like machine guns have no place in Silent Hill. "

What about the Uzi they put in SH3?

pJ

i reckon he means that silent hills a sleepy mountain town out of the way and whilst you can find a chainsaw, or a lead pipe or something around, the odds of finding an uzi is kinda slim and not really inkeeping with the narrative asthetic of the game.

...or something.;)

capncnut
17-Sep-2007, 07:33 AM
i reckon he means that silent hills a sleepy mountain town out of the way and whilst you can find a chainsaw, or a lead pipe or something around, the odds of finding an uzi is kinda slim and not really inkeeping with the narrative asthetic of the game.
Precisely and all that noise disturbs the ambience, it becomes an action game, if you will. I know Silent Hill has action sequences but to me it's all about the cerebral horror. I rarely use any weapons more powerful than the shotgun or rifle.

When you start bringing in machine guns, the game becomes easy and you find yourself unafraid of the bubble head nurses and the mannequins because youre packing so much heat.

Oh, and I really never really got into SH3 or 4 as much as I did the first two.

Craig
17-Sep-2007, 12:53 PM
Day-um, I need to play some of these games. It's just the original put me off when I was younger when that nurses face started bleeding... :barf:

But I'm sure it wouldn't affect me as much now.

Danny
18-Sep-2007, 01:29 AM
dude, i was 15 when i got silent hill 2, and if you can sit through a romero movie it wont bother you, and trust me youll ****ing love it, greatest horror game ever made, right cap?;)

capncnut
18-Sep-2007, 11:39 AM
greatest horror game ever made, right cap?;)
Not only that, but also one of the greatest horror stories ever made!

MikePizzoff
18-Sep-2007, 04:31 PM
I rarely use any weapons more powerful than the shotgun or rifle.

I don't even use those. For all of Silent Hill 2 I pretty much only used the 2x4 or the lead pipe. I guess pyramid head was the only thing I used powerful weapons on. Unless there are other "boss" that seem to of slipped my mind... it has been a few years so I am probably forgetting some.

Danny
19-Sep-2007, 01:58 AM
yeah the pipe you find jammed in the bonnet of that car at the gas station was allways my weapon of choice, i dont think i ever used the rifle for anything.

Craig
19-Sep-2007, 11:00 AM
Well I started playing Silent Hill 2 and it's creeping the hell outta me so I think I'm gonna equip all the firepower I can muster, even if it's just to ease the tension a bit :D

PS - In the dark, as long as my light is off can I literally walk right by monsters without being detected?

capncnut
19-Sep-2007, 07:22 PM
In the dark, as long as my light is off can I literally walk right by monsters without being detected?
Pretty much, as long as you dont 'rub' against them repeatedly. In fact, it's quite possible to investigate the apartment block without using your light too. There's a trick they implemented in-game where the players' eyes become accustomed to the dark and things become slightly visible after a few minutes.

i dont think i ever used the rifle for anything.
Depends on the mode of play, on it's hardest setting the final boss is an absolute bitch. The rifle can cut that short by a good five minutes.

Danny
19-Sep-2007, 09:10 PM
it might ruinj the experience a bit but turn the brightness way the frigg up in the game options, and then turn your torch off adn they wont notice you.

and for your first time ,how creepy was that 5 minute walk through the woods to the cemetery?, thats a bit of genius right there.

Craig
19-Sep-2007, 09:48 PM
it might ruinj the experience a bit but turn the brightness way the frigg up in the game options, and then turn your torch off adn they wont notice you.

and for your first time ,how creepy was that 5 minute walk through the woods to the cemetery?, thats a bit of genius right there.
I spent about 15 minutes walking because I thought something might jump out. Plus I was getting used to the controls.

Also that first monster you catch a glimpse of. I tried to go the opposite way but I couldn't because apparently I wanted to find out what it was. :lol:

Danny
19-Sep-2007, 09:56 PM
I spent about 15 minutes walking because I thought something might jump out.

man it takes me back, a brilliant piece of games design since ,especially if youve played the first one you know whats coming and the longer it takes, with the occasional growl or splash from the woods or toluca lake just amps up the fear *wipes tear from eye*, god i gotta start that again later.

capncnut
20-Sep-2007, 12:29 AM
how creepy was that 5 minute walk through the woods to the cemetery?, thats a bit of genius right there.
Yeah mate, shit hot! It's just a shame that they didn't utilize that section to the full. I heard there were some hackable areas...

Danny
20-Sep-2007, 12:58 AM
nothing special, a bit of a farm or something as you head into town adn that path covered by cones adn a roadblock was just another road, later on in the hospital after marys monologue theres an area, which was found using the camera hack that lead down a corridor that looked like hell, what it was for i dont know but there we are, just something i thought id share.

capncnut
20-Sep-2007, 05:34 PM
nothing special, a bit of a farm or something as you head into town adn that path covered by cones adn a roadblock was just another road
I heard about that farm, and there was a ranch too, I believe.

later on in the hospital after marys monologue theres an area, which was found using the camera hack that lead down a corridor that looked like hell, what it was for i dont know
If I'm not mistaken that was a part of the statue face puzzle where you had to keep turning the head to get various different path combinations. It wouldn't surprise me if the developers thought of something really grotesque for that but later took it out.

Danny
21-Sep-2007, 04:10 AM
all of em are listed on here: http://www.silenthillforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=30985&highlight=invisible

some pretty cool extras left in huh?