PDA

View Full Version : Diary Of The Dead Review

livingdeadboy
09-Sep-2007, 09:16 PM
Last night I was able to check out the flick in Toronto, here is my review :

Now this is pretty much my first time writing a movie review. My typical thoughts on a movie consist of “That was good”, or “I didn’t really like it”. So I will try my best to write an interesting but non-spoiler review. If you really really want spoilers, you can private message me (But I suggest waiting till you see the movie).

Alright, well I'll start right off the bat with, I loved this movie. I won't bore you with a synopsis of the movie, cause you can read the plot somewhere else, and I am pretty sure most of you know the plot already. Instead of the movie starting off with saying “George A. Romero’s DIARY OF THE DEAD”, it begins as a fully cut together documentary about what these students went through for the first few days of the outbreak. The movie has narration, and is told through a variety of cameras, security cameras, cell phones, news footage…this makes for an already very interesting watch.

The movie starts out with a great opening scene which grabs you right from the get go, and already you can tell that this is not some Blair Witch knock off. Comparisons to Blair Witch will be thrown right out the window. In DIARY the camera acts as a character in the film, a lot of time I forgot I was watching a documentary esque movie, and thought I was just watching a film. Instead of shaky cameras, off the cuff improv dialogue, we get a full more theatrical sort of experience. We still watch the whole movie through the POV of the cameras, and this never changes…which leads to some terrifying scenes. I have never found zombie movies scary, but this was quite a creepy film in parts. Most notably the “Hospital Scene”, talk about a perfect creep fest…great location, great build up…great pay off.

From the get go, I can assume that this will be a movie that either fans or going to love or hate. It’s very much the Romero world; there are little nods to Night and Day. But the overall feeling is something new all to itself, obviously one can compare it to Night, but even that would be a very loose comparison. What really makes this movie work is what you don’t see. The film is not a zombie gore fest by any means, not by comparison to Land anyways (But don’t worry, DIARY still holds a great deal of signature Romero moments that had the audience up and cheering). There are no huge crowds of zombies roaming around, they are here and there and they still very much are a threat, but still not the scariest. Radio reports and peoples actions really up the paranoia level of the movie, and make it a scarier experience. This is by far the scariest Romero Dead film of the series; it holds a great sense of dread with it.

In the negative department, of which I have very few complaints, I think some delivery of lines where a little camp. And the staging of a couple scenes definitely played cheesy in a few parts where it should have been serious. Also, there were only a couple CGI moments that took me out of the movie (don’t worry, there is no priest zombie in the movie, the CGI is very subtle). But all these complaints are few and far between each other.

All together, DIARY was a very impressive achievement for Mr. Romero, and I hope this film sees the light of day soon, cause I know I can’t wait to see it again. I think the social commentary in this movie played stronger and better then it did in the other films. This was a nice touch; it really added to the overall experience, it brought a sense of reality to the whole concept…more so then the other films in my opinion. In conclusion, Romero fans won’t be disappointed, the film has his dark humor and great zombie moments laced through out the film. And people looking for more then just cheap thrills, should also leave the theatre feeling satisfied.

DruNewp
09-Sep-2007, 10:28 PM
Great review, Sir. Mr. Romero is not only a true independent visionary, but a social commentator more than anything. Even though I'm trying to hold back excitement for this flick...don't know if I can!

Human Rain
10-Sep-2007, 12:38 AM
What was the general reception from the audience? Was the film well-recieved, as most of Romero's Dead films are?

Griff
10-Sep-2007, 01:15 AM
If I may... the crowd loved it. There was applause throughout, especially during the more unique zombie kills, but also when a recognizable face or familiar reference was onscreen. Romero duly received a standing ovation afterwards. These premieres, where everyone is typically amped up for the movie anyway, aren't always the most reliable of barometers by I think most people are gonna respond really well to it, especially those who thought that LAND strayed a little too far from the formula.

Human Rain
10-Sep-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm also interested in the critical reaction, which we'll just have to wait for. Romero remains the only horror director around who generally gets acclaim from critics. With the exception of perhaps Day of the Dead, which has since been generally regarded as a classic, all his Dead films were met with wide praise from the press.

jdog
10-Sep-2007, 01:40 AM
awsome review i knew this movie would kick ass. cant wait for it to hit theaters.

Danny
10-Sep-2007, 03:02 AM
i wasnt to exicted about this, till now taht is i for one cant wait to see it.

...no doubt on a straight to dvd release over here...:bored:

Griff
10-Sep-2007, 03:54 AM

Well, you never know. I get the feeling that maybe the filmmakers think they've got something special on their hands and really wanted to have the film seen and get the word of mouth out before settling any major distribution deals.

Hitting the multiplexes might be a bit much to ask but I'd be offended if this didn't play at least the arthouse/independant cinemas around the world.

Danny
10-Sep-2007, 04:08 AM
did land even get a theatrical release over here?:rockbrow:

clanglee
10-Sep-2007, 04:57 AM
Yes!!! Awsome Man!! Thanks for the review you lucky bastard. Now if only I could see it. . . .

strangeillusion
10-Sep-2007, 05:16 PM
I maybe jumping the gun a tad especially considering there is no US distribution yet but from what was played at Toronto is this shaping up to be released unrated or does it look like it's going to get an "R" rating?

livingdeadboy
10-Sep-2007, 05:18 PM
I maybe jumping the gun a tad especially considering there is no US distribution yet but from what was played at Toronto is this shaping up to be released unrated or does it look like it's going to get an "R" rating?

I'd say an R rating for sure, nothing seemed to outrageous by anymeans. That doesnt mean that it wasn't gory at all...but it just wasn't about the gore though.

LivingDeadBeat
24-Oct-2007, 08:53 PM
It'll most likely get an uncut release a few years down the line :)

georgefox
15-Dec-2007, 12:19 AM
i saw it it was soo awsome deffenetly see it in theaters when its relesed

Legion2213
15-Dec-2007, 12:40 AM
i wasnt to exicted about this, till now taht is i for one cant wait to see it.

I hope it does go straight to DVD...I fvcking hate going to the pictures, it's like all the noisy, ill mannered, annoying folks always pick the same movie to watch as me. :mad:

Yeah, a straight to DVD release is what I'm hoping for.