PDA

View Full Version : 6 years ago today...

DVW5150
11-Sep-2007, 04:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKLnPB8LQ8

I avoid embedding videos I edit so folks wont mess with them.
Please read the description .

MinionZombie
11-Sep-2007, 10:15 AM
A very sad day indeed. :(

I duno about over in America, but there wasn't much on TV about 9/11 last year, which is kinda off, because it was the big 5 year anniversary. Meanwhile this year, the 6th anniversary, there's much more on TV about it again. We're seeing more documentaries about the smaller stories, or seeing other sides of things now, like there's one coming up about the 'secret underworld of 9/11' or something, about people who were going through the wreckage and underground areas underneath the wreckage after the buildings had fallen. I'll watch that one, looks interesting.

Anyway...sad day indeed. :(

EvilNed
11-Sep-2007, 10:53 AM
It's also 5 years ago that the swedish foreign minister Anna Lindh was stabbed to death. 9/11 as a date sucks.

DVW5150
13-Sep-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for your responses MZ & E.Ned, take care.

bassman
13-Sep-2007, 05:31 PM
Good video and all, but they definitely should have picked another song....

MinionZombie
13-Sep-2007, 05:43 PM
One thing I will say about the song, apparently it's not got anything to do with 9/11, but is instead about when Billy Joe's father died (which must have been in a September then...), anyway, the video kinda ended up putting that 9/11 vibe on it, and with 9/11 you can read that into the lyrics...at least, that's what I heard anyway - it's about Billy Joe's father's death.

*runs away to the internet*

There once was much debate about what this song was about, one of the most common initial beliefs, and still a very prevalent one at that, being that it is about 9/11. However, Billie Joe has confirmed to the public that the song was written as a memorial anthem about his father, a jazz musician and minor league baseball catcher, who died of lung cancer when Billie Joe was only ten years old.

In this melancholy ballad, Billie Joe, backed by the support of the other members of Green Day, takes a trip back to his painful childhood and thinks about the day he lost his innocence when his father died. Like many faced with such a traumatic event, Billie Joe never truly recovered, and he can't believe that twenty years have passed since the day. As Armstrong associates pain with the month September, the month his father died, he would rather not deal with anything related to the month prompting him to sing, "As my memory rests, but never forgets what I lost... Wake me up when September ends..."

(from Wiki)

I watched a doc on Channel 4 on Tuesday about the underground of the debris, the mall areas, and parking garages, but mainly about the rescue workers who dedicated months of their time to bringing out as many bodies/parts to be identified as much as possible.

The interview footage with this ex-firefighter guy who was looking for his son in the debris was particularly harrowing.

EvilNed
13-Sep-2007, 09:40 PM
Great tragedy. I think the song fits well somehow. I also find the pictures of dead rescue workers and victims to be harrowing and sad. A tragedy to be sure.

coma
14-Sep-2007, 05:54 AM
Good video but it made me depressed. All I could think of, seeing all the dust, was that awful f**king smell and all the telephone poles, storre fronts and bulletin boards FILLED with flyers with people looking for loved ones/ Hundreds and hundred and hundreds.
Sigh.:(

DVW5150
18-Sep-2007, 02:03 AM
I was aware the Billy wrote it about something completely different than
that occurance in 2001.
MZ , Thanks for posting the reply on what it means to him.By the way MZ, you posted your reply at 3:43 pm. By my time here on this site, wierd.Thats the official casualty count of the FDNY at the pile.Then called the pit.
Media called it Ground Zero.
My ex's brother was FDNY & thats what he called it.
I wouldnt waste my time to edit it if my high school friend had not died that day.
It would be more like a sad day, not a really fu*king horrid anniversary.
Also it changed everyone, wheather you admit it or not.
Its not just for myself, to turn something out that reflects what it means to me, but the people who gave everything they have to look for, and in 2 cases, find people alive.
Thanks for your replies, and for watching.
:)

Good video and all, but they definitely should have picked another song....

Thanks for the kudos on my editing!

Good video but it made me depressed. All I could think of, seeing all the dust, was that awful f**king smell and all the telephone poles, storre fronts and bulletin boards FILLED with flyers with people looking for loved ones/ Hundreds and hundred and hundreds.
Sigh.:(

Sorry man . Me too . But I have a habit of looking at pain right in my face.
I guess the video does the job . I know what you mean Coma.

EvilNed
18-Sep-2007, 01:55 PM
Am I the only one who thought that the song fit quite well? I'm not even a Green Day fan, yet I liked it.

Ivarr
18-Sep-2007, 09:24 PM
Sometimes we are reminded, though there are indeed dark souls walking the earth ... That there are also brave selfless souls that honor us with every day their light shone.

When I feel despair and my heart is broken... I take hope that there are souls in this world that will risk all and more to save their fellow humans.

That spark of light that can not be dimed... is proof enough that we can be more... and we will someday be worthy of their gift.

DVW5150
19-Sep-2007, 11:28 PM
Sometimes we are reminded, though there are indeed dark souls walking the earth ... That there are also brave selfless souls that honor us with every day their light shone.

When I feel despair and my heart is broken... I take hope that there are souls in this world that will risk all and more to save their fellow humans.

That spark of light that can not be dimed... is proof enough that we can be more... and we will someday be worthy of their gift.

Damn Ivar, thats very good.
It made me think of when people are running away from danger , there are those that go towards it, much like the firefighters in south Manhattan that day.
Very good writing, indeed.
Thanks EvilNed too, for liking that video edit.