PDA

View Full Version : Yeah so..

Andy
11-Sep-2007, 10:04 AM
..Got through to the police recruitment line yesterday and i got myself an application pack coming, third time ive applied but i feel pretty confident about this one so hopefully this time next year, it'll be officer andy :cool:

MinionZombie
11-Sep-2007, 10:06 AM
Bloody hell, how many times do you need to apply?!

Maybe this is why there's no bobbies on the beat, they're all filling out applications all the damn time! :eek:

A friend-of-a-friend was in a similar position, tried a couple of times but got turned down and gave up. But I couldn't have seen that guy as a cop, it just didn't seem right.

Danny
11-Sep-2007, 02:12 PM
^same here actually, i knew a dude at high school who was dead set in following the family tradition of being a copper but next time i was him was walking round between lessons at college last year and he was pilling boxes in some discount store for a living, apparently ,not jsut fromhim but coppers who are freinds of the family (since my grandad used to run a few garages and dealt with crashes with them and the like) they said its apparently real hard nowadays to get in.

bassman
11-Sep-2007, 02:16 PM
heh heh....my brother's name is Andy and he's an officer.

Anyway....good luck, man.

Terran
11-Sep-2007, 03:50 PM
it'll be officer andy That makes you doubly a witch!!! :clown:

Congrats though

Tricky
11-Sep-2007, 05:10 PM
shhhh watch what you say lads,we know police are never really off duty :p

on a serious note though,i know of coppers,young ones, who turn a blind eye to drugs,violence & other criminal activity when their not on duty,which in my opinion is wrong!:eek:

MinionZombie
11-Sep-2007, 05:48 PM
shhhh watch what you say lads,we know police are never really off duty :p

on a serious note though,i know of coppers,young ones, who turn a blind eye to drugs,violence & other criminal activity when their not on duty,which in my opinion is wrong!:eek:
That's kinda like a medic walking past someone passed out on the streets from booze or something. :eek:

Terran
11-Sep-2007, 08:59 PM

I dont know how wrong it is...I wouldnt really say its a black or white, right or wrong type of situation....

I mean their job is to uphold/enforce the law whether they agree with the particular law or not..... So it would depend heavily on the individual what they do when not on duty....

For example... They may not really agree with the legal status of a given drug like marijuana, so when off duty if they witness it they let it slide.....They not care too much about general speeding and traffic violations so they choose not to enforce them.....

They may choose to ignore a young person shoplifting perhaps thinking (I did the same thing as a kid and I turned out okay...)

They may choose to ignore a relatively benign bar fight....

Other things though are harder to rationalize....mob assault...physical robbery....rape ....etc etc.... these types of things even regular citizens should try to do at least something....

That's kinda like a medic walking past someone passed out on the streets from booze or something. :eek:

Like I said theres varying degrees....a medic isnt going to try and treat every person they see that skins their knee...or stubbs their toe... But they will likely perform CPR when needed or do the Heimlich maneuver....or put pressure on a gushing wound.....

I mean with both situations essentially most things can be left to self regulate

MikePizzoff
11-Sep-2007, 09:52 PM
"I definitely smell a pork product of some sort!"

:p

Cody
12-Sep-2007, 12:48 AM
^^ lol

wyvern1096
14-Sep-2007, 07:46 PM
Good luck. Went through police academy and started going out with an FTO before I realized that I do not have the patience to be a cop. But I still respect the folks that do this for a living.

capncnut
14-Sep-2007, 09:38 PM
Good luck with that, I know you've been trying for some time now.

<continues rolling joint> :D