PDA

View Full Version : Another Negative Review

panic
13-Sep-2007, 05:49 AM
*** POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING ***

From Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/toronto_film_festival_2007/news/1669658/):

I was majorly intrigued by George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead's premise. Not just because it's Romero, but because it's seen entirely through the digital camera lens of student filmmakers. A Cloverfield-esque approach to zombie movies? What's not to get excited about? Diary was obviously shot on a shoestring budget and, early in his career, Romero did wonders working around non-existent production values. But here, he embraces it too eagerly. Constant stilted voiceovers, amateurish acting, and tons of stock footage supposedly creates the illusion that this is a raw, unadulterated filmmaking. Instead, these tacky flourishes consistently distract and pull the viewer out of the movie. The whole concept is interesting but completely falls apart even before the first half is over. If your girlfriend is being zombie mauled and screaming for help, wouldn't you -- oh, I don't know -- put down your damn camera?

Diary at times feels like it's supposed to be a parody of zombie films, but it certainly doesn't have enough jokes. And there are barely any scares. What's surprising is how talky this whole affair is. Most of the movie is spent watching these jerks squabble and argue. Day of the Dead somewhat suffered from the same problem, but it also had that fantastic zombie onslaught at the end. Diary just peters out (you've never seen so few zombies in a zombie flick), recycling the same ending Romero used in the original Night of the Living Dead. Such a cruel disappointment.

Also from Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/toronto_film_festival_2007/news/1669952/):

Well, it certainly hasn't been a dull festival. Tons of films big (Michael Clayton) and small (Juno) have screened to kudos, and on the whole there haven't been very many outright disappointments (notwithstanding George Romero's Diary of the Dead and a few others).

DjfunkmasterG
13-Sep-2007, 11:37 AM
WHy does everyone suddenly have to compare every film to Cloverfield. WTF? I haven't even seen a coherent Cloverfield trailer let alone do I give a damn about Cloverfield. Honestly how am I supposed to be excited about a film that no one knows anything about.

To compare a much higher budgeted film like Cloverfield to Diary is, well, laughable. Sometimes these people who do reviews really have their heads up their asses.

jim102016
13-Sep-2007, 01:11 PM
WHy does everyone suddenly have to compare every film to Cloverfield. WTF? I haven't even seen a coherent Cloverfield trailer let alone do I give a damn about Cloverfield. Honestly how am I supposed to be excited about a film that no one knows anything about.

To compare a much higher budgeted film like Cloverfield to Diary is, well, laughable. Sometimes these people who do reviews really have their heads up their asses.

The guy may be on to something there, I'll have to see it for myself before I criticize it. It's new, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. But, I have a feeling I'll be wanting those kids to put down their cameras as well. Not that Blair Witch was the same thing, but I remember getting claustrophobic, wishing it was a normal movie.

RJ_Sevin
13-Sep-2007, 08:20 PM
"A Cloverfield-esque approach to zombie movies?"

Seeing as how DIARY was in the can before the world even knew CLOVERFIELD (or whatever its real title ends up being) existed, the comparison is a poor one.

DjfunkmasterG
13-Sep-2007, 08:51 PM
"A Cloverfield-esque approach to zombie movies?"

Seeing as how DIARY was in the can before the world even knew CLOVERFIELD (or whatever its real title ends up being) existed, the comparison is a poor one.

exactly my point RJ, but also why in the hell would one compare Romero's work to that?

Danny
14-Sep-2007, 03:32 AM
i dont really base my viewing tastes on reviews, especially not rotten tomatoes, if i do and its rare i go for the reviews on aintitcool or popcultureshock, rotten tomatoes is a pretty crappy site, though they tend to give all the films i like bad ratings but love crap like titanic or whathave you so like they say different strokes.

Dr. Pus
14-Sep-2007, 05:36 AM
Do y'all really listen to critics/film reviewers? Not I. This movie will kick major zombie ass.