PDA

View Full Version : Saw 28 Weeks later today..

Andy
13-Sep-2007, 02:05 PM
Not as bad as i thought it was going to be.. but i do have a couple of gripes.. The re-used soundtrack from 28 days felt abit tacked on, you know like some kind of feeble link to the first film? dont get me wrong, its a good soundtrack but it really felt to me like they where just using the same couple of songs from the first film, really shouldn't it of had a new soundtrack?

Well might just be me being pedantic..

Speaking of pedantic, i also got the feeling from 28 weeks that they where trying to say it was a very british incident, like only britain was infected by the rage virus (america rescuing us, refugee camps in spain..) but im sure in 28 days its mentioned that before TV went off they where reporting outbreaks in new york and paris and other cities..

Anyway apart from that, i liked it.. the story with robbie carlyle and his family was pretty good i thought and the beginning was superb, the ending was abit flimsy but again i had that same issue with 28 days.

Thats about all im gonna say becuase i dont want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

AcesandEights
13-Sep-2007, 07:10 PM
but im sure in 28 days its mentioned that before TV went off they where reporting outbreaks in new york and paris and other cities..

I always thought this explained itself. Mass panic. Imagine a disease that incites rage ripping its away across a part of Europe (never you mind it's a part that happens to be an island). The civil inability to control the spread and the forced evacuation of the country, which we know happened by the articles and later references, is going to touch off hoarding and riotous behavior (due to religious frenzy, fear, panic, you name it) across portions of Western Civ that happened to be dialed into the process due to 24/7 news channels and internet.

Bottom line, the people supplying the protagonist with that info had been stuck 'behind enemy lines' for a good long while and were operating off of assumptions based on information they had heard in the midst of a mass panic. News agencies report all sorts of things off the cuff based on limited information...especially during a crisis.

Anyway, I'm glad you finally got to see it and got some enjoyment out of it. Personally, I liked the soundtrack...loved it, in fact, so I was happy about its inclusion.

Tricky
13-Sep-2007, 08:25 PM
They could also have said it was spreading across europe & the world to try & stop people fleeing britain!make them think they would be no better off abroad so as to stop it actually reaching anywhere outside britain

MinionZombie
13-Sep-2007, 10:30 PM
They could also have said it was spreading across europe & the world to try & stop people fleeing britain!make them think they would be no better off abroad so as to stop it actually reaching anywhere outside britain
I read it as confusion during the goings on at the beginning. And if I remember they only said "Paris and New York" in 28DL.

Anyway, pedantic goings on...

I was pleasantly surprised by the film, I was dropping the "old man balls" diss all over it's ass until I sat down and saw it was equal to the original, so...well I guess we all make the odd mistake. Anyway...

I really dug it, my gripes were a couple of bits that made the plot continue, but were just daft actions from daft characters (like at the start with that daft bint at the window).

But I thought it was visually stunning, action packed, terrifying, it showed us the next step ... the aftermath if you will. It did fall apart a tad in the second half, as it was basically one long chase, but it was a good chase...so...I'll let it off.

I think I'll pick up the DVD, complete the collection like.

Rottedfreak
14-Sep-2007, 11:37 AM
Shouldn't the three from the first movie have been in District One too?

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2007, 12:28 PM
District One was that area of London, the ones from the first film holed up in some country house. They could be anywhere, they could be dead, anything, but the sequel wasn't about the characters from the first film, so it doesn't matter where they are really.

Danny
14-Sep-2007, 12:59 PM
still have yet to see this though, but my movie budgets going on superbad, king of kong adn kenny this month so ill hold off for a bit.

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2007, 04:46 PM
Ahhh I wanna see Super Bad, hopefully will get to see it soon...I also wanna check out Death Proof in the cinema, even though I've seen it twice already.

Danny
15-Sep-2007, 02:03 AM
i should be seeing superbad on monday so ill say if its any good. i hadn theard of that kenny one till t'uther day, a freind from film class last year recommended it, as "its a mocumentary like spinal tap but aout a fat guy called kenny who cleans port o crappers for a living", i was sold on that:lol:

AcesandEights
15-Sep-2007, 02:17 AM
i should be seeing superbad on monday so ill say if its any good.

Yeah, I'm interested in the opinion of it in markets outside of the US. I thought it was funny, but not hysterical, as I was led to believe.

Danny
15-Sep-2007, 02:20 AM
yeah im not expecting a laugh fest, maybe somethig with a litte more plot and intergirty than (ugh) american pie, but thats it, still looks entertaining though "mclovin'?, sounds like a sexy burger":lol:

MinionZombie
15-Sep-2007, 11:15 AM
hehe, I've been giggling at that clip too in the adverts.

Sounds like it might be along the same comedic lines as 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up - i.e. mix of nob-based comedy and heart-felt reality. Both those films were good, and made me laugh a lot, so I'm totally up for Superbad.

Tricky
18-Sep-2007, 10:19 PM
Well,ive just seen 28 weeks & i enjoyed it,i thought they captured the look of an abandoned country post infection really well,things like the piles of skeletons in the tube stations,dead plants in the houses etc,& the infected would still scare the absolute crap out of me if that was real! (much more than a romero zombie if i dare say so here :shifty:)
Surely an international force rather than just american would have come in to oversee the repopulation though?unless other nations knew enough about the rage virus as to not touch britain with a bargepole!
One gripe though,they shouldnt have shown the new wembley stadium in the film,because at the time 28 days was made that didnt even exist,so it knackers up the continuity quite a lot in my opinion,though i suppose 28 days didnt really mention a date in it so it could still pass if you imagine that the events happened now rather than when the film was actually released...

cymruambyth
18-Sep-2007, 10:31 PM
Do you know if a third is going to be made,I heard they had a trilogy in mind.

Tricky
18-Sep-2007, 10:42 PM
I think the ending leaves that possibility wide open ;)

MinionZombie
18-Sep-2007, 10:57 PM
I think the ending leaves that possibility wide open ;)
Ah mate, it's left whore-like wide open for a sequel! :p

It'll be "28 Months Later" apparently, but nout more has been said. A sequel is pretty much guaranteed. But will it be any good, will it just be more of the same, will there be anything different? Hmmm...*strokes chin*

Rottedfreak
19-Sep-2007, 11:38 AM
Scrap a sequal do a prequal to 28 Weeks and call it 28 Hours Later.

MinionZombie
19-Sep-2007, 12:37 PM
Scrap a sequal do a prequal to 28 Weeks and call it 28 Hours Later.
I see where you're coming from, but I duno...it'd kinda step on the toes of the first movie in a way, and with 28 Weeks Later you see the outbreak happen again, so you essentially see those first hours of outbreak again...but yeah I see where you're coming from...I'm not sure it'd work as a whole film to have a prequel, but it would be cool to see at least some of the early infection taking over. Perhaps in news reports, like, someone in 28 Months Later is watching a bunch of monitors showing the original outbreak from the first film, seeing the stuff we were told about in the first movie...and then we move into the new film to see where it goes from here (i.e. end of the second film).

Tricky
19-Sep-2007, 05:27 PM
I see where you're coming from, but I duno...it'd kinda step on the toes of the first movie in a way, and with 28 Weeks Later you see the outbreak happen again, so you essentially see those first hours of outbreak again...but yeah I see where you're coming from...I'm not sure it'd work as a whole film to have a prequel, but it would be cool to see at least some of the early infection taking over. Perhaps in news reports, like, someone in 28 Months Later is watching a bunch of monitors showing the original outbreak from the first film, seeing the stuff we were told about in the first movie...and then we move into the new film to see where it goes from here (i.e. end of the second film).

Aye the problem with showing all that stuff that was mentioned but not shown in the first film is that it gives them plenty of room to cock up the picture your imagination had made up of it,but saying that they've done a really good job in the first two of showing the infection itself & the fallout afterwards so as long as it stayed gritty & didnt go all hollywood then it could be done.
It could pick up with what the scientists who created/were testing the rage virus were actually hoping to achieve (obviously they werent intending on wiping out britain),then it could move onto the immediate moment when it broke out of the lab into the outside world & show how the military tried to cope,and the virus sweeping through the packed subways & rural areas etc (enough london scenes already,howay..).Im not sure how they would do it though as to show the spread of infection across the uk they couldnt really stick to one small band of characters & their personal stories like they did in the first two

Rottedfreak
19-Sep-2007, 07:30 PM
It wasnt clear in the movie but the rage virus was created to test new pharmaceutical products that prevent bouts of road rage and so on.

capncnut
19-Sep-2007, 07:50 PM
It'll be "28 Months Later" apparently, but nout more has been said.
It's on, depending on how well '28 Weeks' does on DVD.

In March 2007, plans were announced by Danny Boyle to create a "third chapter" of the film franchise, which may be given the title 28 Months Later with a 2009 release date, thus creating a trilogy. Whilst the action would expectedly take place in France, picking up where the second film left off, Boyle has stated that his thoughts are to set the movie in Russia. In June 2007, it was announced that if DVD sales of the film did well Fox Atomic would consider producing the third film.

In July 2007, while promoting the film Sunshine, Boyle revealed that he has a story formulating for the next film "There is an idea for the next one, something which would move [the story] on. I've got to think about it, whether it's right or not.". Boyle also revealed that he would like to return as the director.

Tricky
19-Sep-2007, 08:05 PM
I hope they dont go down the same tired route of the infected & the virus mutating & all that in their attempts to move the story on,im sick of seeing that in these kind of films,including land of the dead with "might as well just be human big daddy" :rolleyes:
keep the circumstances & effects of the virus the same & dont try squeezing too many films out of what is at present a good story would be my advice :)

capncnut
19-Sep-2007, 08:13 PM
Well, seeing as though ol' Boyley is setting it in Russia, I'm guessing vodka, heavy artillery and big beefy soldiers called Mikhail will play a part in it somewhere. ;)

AcesandEights
19-Sep-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, seeing as though ol' Boyley is setting it in Russia, I'm guessing vodka, heavy artillery and big beefy soldiers called Mikhail will play a part in it somewhere. ;)

Sounds like the recipe for the perfect skin flick. "From Russia With Rubber Glove"

DVW5150
20-Sep-2007, 12:23 AM
I cant wait fer this one on DVD.
The sumarations have been fun to read, and with alittle integrity, a third film would be good.
I was watching it in the theater, and i couldnt recall how it all started for a second.
I mean, the whole thing both films as one story has a massive arc.
No one in the film has any idea how it got started, so maybe the third film would address that some how.
In the USA on dvd October 9th ... :elol:

Rottedfreak
20-Sep-2007, 06:49 PM
Okay lets see:
I get my 28 Hours later prequal, a straight to DVD documentry with video diaries, refugee accounts, news footage.
and thingumebob gets 28 seconds later prequal where we see what transpired at Cambridge with horny American teens discovering the lab it was created in, finding their tutor secretly employed by the MOD and moralising about bioweapons and so forth amid the gore, gunfights and sex.
And then we get 28 Months Later where a everyday guy wakes from cryostasis and finds lifeless cities and small pockets of survivors duking it out.

AcesandEights
23-Sep-2007, 09:11 PM
I got to see it again this weekend. Good stuff, everyone was quite happy with it.