PDA

View Full Version : totally under the radar or what

Danny
14-Sep-2007, 08:31 AM
now when it comes to horror games im usually right on the ball, but this one slipped right past me. obscure by name and nature i guess: http://www.obscure2.com/
i only found a copy of obscure in gamestation a while back adn havent finished yet but love the whole "shut in a high school/college campus with monsters on the loose" story with teh multiplayer co-op and love how this looks but damn, i didnt even know it was out production stages yet, let alone out on the ps2,pc and wii allready.

europe only though ,sucks to be american i guess, though lately a lot of stuff, like the silver ds forexample, is UK and europe only.
shame it aint that way with dvd's:bored:

capncnut
14-Sep-2007, 09:37 AM
The first game wasn't too bad actually, even though they have like 30 copies in the average GameStation store.

Danny
14-Sep-2007, 12:51 PM
just back from ther ein fact, they didnt have any copies on the shelves but i asked for one and got it. (plus the 4 disc return of the king with lost season 1 part 2 free,it was either that or akira, which ive allready got, and whos gonna turn down a free box set;)) and it looks good, like the first one only set at a uni and the girl who survived the first time whent form the slasher trendy girl to angry goth/emo kid in this one, still more multiplayer killin's are a doin's!

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2007, 04:49 PM
How come you keep going into GameStation and coming out better off than when you went in?! :confused:

Next thing they'll be giving out BJ's. :eek:

fartpants
14-Sep-2007, 06:09 PM
Next thing they'll be giving out BJ's. :eek:

i'm queing up already...:lol::lol:

capncnut
14-Sep-2007, 09:32 PM
The only suckage I ever got from GameStation was Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon for Xbox. :dead:

Craig
14-Sep-2007, 11:09 PM
I might get this if it's cheap, since I can't find the AV adaptor to my XBox and The Suffering: TTB isn't compatible with 360.

Danny
15-Sep-2007, 01:54 AM
The only suckage I ever got from GameStation was Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon for Xbox. :dead:

oh yeah that sucked balls "punch enemy till he drops, move one, repeat for entire game":rolleyes:

I might get this if it's cheap, since I can't find the AV adaptor to my XBox and The Suffering: TTB isn't compatible with 360.

it actually hasnt been out to long and still cost me 19.99, but ive seen it on ebay for like 14 qudi buy it now and loads of starting bids of a £1.

Craig
15-Sep-2007, 09:26 AM
it actually hasnt been out to long and still cost me 19.99, but ive seen it on ebay for like 14 qudi buy it now and loads of starting bids of a £1.
Well it's on Play.com for £17 so that aint too bad.

DeadJonas190
17-Sep-2007, 02:49 AM
That game looks pretty cool, too bad its not here in the US.

CornishCorpse
17-Sep-2007, 09:13 PM
Whoop the internet works. Obscure was a horrible horrible game..I tried my best to play it and the case looked intresting enough but I just couldnt handle that everything was a cliche or a streotype. Nothing caught my attention so why why why are they trying again?

Danny
18-Sep-2007, 01:27 AM
well i finished obscure a mo' ago, but after playing obscure 2 for about 10 mins, its nothing like the origional, no dodgy camera angles, goes into almost over the shoulder aiming for guns, rotating camera for melee, more intuitive controls, actual inventory system you can pause to use, much better graphics and overall design and its kind of like silent hill 4 meets the first buffy game on the xbox with a little bit of scream thrown in for good measure.;)

CornishCorpse
18-Sep-2007, 06:13 PM
Well in that case I shall have to look into putting my wii into some horror. Thanks for the tip.

cymruambyth
18-Sep-2007, 10:11 PM
Anyone know if there is a follow up to dead rising on the 360 in the pipeline?

MinionZombie
18-Sep-2007, 10:53 PM
I really, really hope so...but there are no official plans at all.

I read somewhere that a sequel was "officially unofficial" or vice-versa...kinda like "oh you know there's gonna be one, but that's all there is to say".

Besides, it only came out last year, so there's gotta be enough time between each to make it worth while. I guess 2009 would be a good year for it...or perhaps 2010...although that's a way off, which sucks, but it'd be better than just having the same game set elsewhere...it's gotta be different enough...but I guess if they can make it different enough, and sooner, then that's the pot-o-gold we're all after.

Dead Rising was awesome by the way, flawed, but still greatness.

Danny
19-Sep-2007, 01:57 AM

theres not.

The creators said they would love to make a sequel but the head honchos over at capcom decided against it, though a lost planet sequel is in the works i beleive.

MinionZombie
19-Sep-2007, 10:51 AM
theres not.

The creators said they would love to make a sequel but the head honchos over at capcom decided against it, though a lost planet sequel is in the works i beleive.
I reckon that's bollocks. It did big business, it'll do big business again, especially if they rectify the problems and then expand out into a whole town. You've got guaranteed cash in the bank right there.

I say it's all a bunch of posturing to stir up more passion for the game and a wanted-sequel. There'll be a sequel...in time. Nobody can ever leave stuff at just one.

Craig
19-Sep-2007, 10:59 AM
Nobody can ever leave stuff at just one.
Though I wish some developers would nowadays, there's so many brilliant and classic games either being let down or completely overshadowed by their sequels... Of course it's been that way with films for many years.

MinionZombie
19-Sep-2007, 12:34 PM
Though I wish some developers would nowadays, there's so many brilliant and classic games either being let down or completely overshadowed by their sequels... Of course it's been that way with films for many years.
Well, like I always say, a naff sequel is better than a naff remake. :)

But Dead Rising 2 would be so awesome - fix the problems with the first, pimp it out across an entire town, and bingo - a superbly fun game!

Craig
19-Sep-2007, 01:49 PM
Well, like I always say, a naff sequel is better than a naff remake. :)

But Dead Rising 2 would be so awesome - fix the problems with the first, pimp it out across an entire town, and bingo - a superbly fun game!
Well yes there's always room for improvement with sandbox games, and the original concepts for Dead Rising showed lots of different outside places.

But I still think some games just don't need sequels.

CoinReturn
19-Sep-2007, 03:39 PM
There will be a Dead Rising 2, no doubt about it. It sold over a million copies! It would be retarded from a business standpoint not to make a follow-up.

bassman
19-Sep-2007, 03:42 PM
There will be a Dead Rising 2, no doubt about it. It sold over a million copies! It would be retarded from a business standpoint not to make a follow-up.

Actually, it seems like I remember reading a while back that the production company behind the first game said they wouldn't do another.

MinionZombie
19-Sep-2007, 04:40 PM
Actually, it seems like I remember reading a while back that the production company behind the first game said they wouldn't do another.
Well they said that at the time, I'm sure money would change their mind, or a work drought. Or of course - get another company to make it, it wouldn't be the first time another company did a sequel.

I wonder if that Inafune guy will eventually be up for the sequel, he's not at the moment, too busy or something, but it's too early for a sequel anyway.

bassman
19-Sep-2007, 04:52 PM
Well they said that at the time, I'm sure money would change their mind, or a work drought. Or of course - get another company to make it, it wouldn't be the first time another company did a sequel.

I wonder if that Inafune guy will eventually be up for the sequel, he's not at the moment, too busy or something, but it's too early for a sequel anyway.

If there is another, I really hope they make it easier to save and the time limit aspect is taken out. Those were the two major things that pissed me off...

MinionZombie
19-Sep-2007, 05:36 PM
Indeed, saving was a bitch. I think any place safe enough to hang out for a bit, you should be able to save at, and so you ... I duno ... write an entry in your journal, to signify a save has taken place.

Yeah, the time limit can get a bit annoying when you're having fun in a certain area and then you've suddenly got to get a move on or what not. Also, they need a mode called "just have some fahkin' fun!" or something like that. :D Basically, there's no plot or story to be bothered with, you can enable cheats if you want - such as invincibility for you and your weapons, and then a bunch of fun cheats too.

Dead Rising is a game where you can have a lot of fun, but it's kinda contained a little bit, a tad imprisoned, you can't really bust out and have a stupid amount of fun - that's where a proper fun mode would come in, where you can go through all the areas and just go nuts, rack up some ludicrous amounts of zombie kills for example...and well, say if cheats were enabled, make any achievements harder to get. Like instead of "kill 50,000 zombies", it'd become "kill 200,000 zombies" or whatever, and then the actual amount of points would be halved too, so you can still earn a bit - but not a lot - rewarded for your patience in sitting around having fun basically.

Anyway...all good thoughts I reckon. :)

Danny
19-Sep-2007, 09:14 PM
the amount it sold is well and good, but your forgetting how long dead rising was in production and that was a single mall, imagine how long a game set in the whole town would take to develop, in that time they could make 3 or 4 simpler games and sell them all for the same price and make more money.
and which do you think a big companys more into, spending 5 or 6 years developing one game or during that time making 3 or 4 and getting the money from all of them?:sneaky:

MinionZombie
20-Sep-2007, 10:36 AM
the amount it sold is well and good, but your forgetting how long dead rising was in production and that was a single mall, imagine how long a game set in the whole town would take to develop, in that time they could make 3 or 4 simpler games and sell them all for the same price and make more money.
and which do you think a big companys more into, spending 5 or 6 years developing one game or during that time making 3 or 4 and getting the money from all of them?:sneaky:
Nah they'll blates make a second Dead Rising, guaranteed.

They don't just have one set of programmers for their entire company. :p

There's been plenty of back room mumblings and talks, so if they weren't serious about it, they wouldn't be bothering...so in other words, just a matter of time.

Danny
22-Sep-2007, 01:11 PM
Nah they'll blates make a second Dead Rising, guaranteed.

*lights mz's gameing dreams aflame, then pisses out the fire*

*taken from the legend that is kotaku.com:cool:*

Dead Rising creator Keiji Inafune really wants to do Dead Rising 2. He told me that, saying "I really want to do Dead Rising 2. We spotted the current Capcom Research & Development and Online Business head wondering outside TGS. Our conversation:

Ashcraft: So Dead Rising 2 won't be announced next year?
Inafune: Yeah. The original team has been split up and is working on different projects.
Ashcraft: And you are probably busy with your executive role at Capcom?
Inafune: I do really want to do Dead Rising 2. It's just still hard to get games for the Western market approved.
Ashcraft: But Dead Rising was a big hit aboard.
Inafune: It wasn't a big hit here in Japan.
Ashcraft: Why is it hard to still get Western geared games approved in Japan?
Inafune: You live here. You know how it is. That's why getting games for the Western market is still a challenge. So we need people like [Osaka-based Capcom producer] Ben Judd to bridge the gap between Japan and abroad. It's really hard for people like Ben, I'm sure.

Microsoft Japan boss Takahashi Sensui walks by, says a brief "hello." Sensui notices me, smiles and tells Inafune, "Watch out for this guy." Inafune laughs.

Ashcraft: Capcom has been cranking about a lot new IPs like Dead Rising, though — not just relying on sequels.
Inafune: And there are a lot more new titles coming. A lot more.

MinionZombie
22-Sep-2007, 09:03 PM
When you eat an awesome slice of cake, you want another slice...and the cook wants to give it to you.

Guaranteed - Dead Rising 2 in the future, guaranteed.

CoinReturn
23-Sep-2007, 02:27 AM
I agree with Minion. Inafune said he'd love to do the sequel, its just not on his schedule yet. My guess is that it will come out in 2009, as a companion piece to Resident Evil 5.

Danny
26-Sep-2007, 01:48 PM
-anway, back to obscure 2.

http://www.olivierderiviere.com/od/flash/

The creator of the soundtrack put it up for free download on his site.:cool:

Danny
02-Oct-2007, 05:53 AM
just thought id post my latest entry on my horror gameing blog on my views so far on obscure 2, and trust me cap' if you loved silent hill 2 you will love this game too, so far i cannot recommend it enough, it has far outdone its predeseccor and i highly recommend it.

http://racooncitytimes.blogspot.com/2007/10/games-im-playing-this-month-my-take-on.html