PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Review (Diary is DEAD on arrival)

DjfunkmasterG
14-Sep-2007, 07:35 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070914/review_nm/film_dead_dc

Not good folks, they don't like it.

bassman
14-Sep-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh no....some shmoe at yahoo doesn't like it. I guess I should not see it now.:bored:

Seriously, who cares about these reviews? Good or bad, is it supposed to change my opinion of a film I haven't seen?

This has got to be the 1,000 post of another review. Why don't we make ONE thread with all the reviews?...

Griff
14-Sep-2007, 08:00 PM
Good. DIARY ain't gonna be everyone's cuppa tea. I'm just happy that its mine.

capncnut
14-Sep-2007, 09:52 PM
This has got to be the 1,000 post of another review. Why don't we make ONE thread with all the reviews?
Was gonna say the same thing mate. I bet the original review is about 3 days down the list now. :rolleyes:

As for Diary, I have no interest in negative reviews because 80% of the films dogged by magazines and sites do not deserve it. I know Diary wont be a blockbuster (how do I know? not ONE review has said "this is f**kin' amazing!") but I have it on good authority that it's far from a turd and definitely a step up from Land.

I guess there are some folks out there that wont settle for anything less than Night or Dawn...

DjfunkmasterG
15-Sep-2007, 01:36 AM
when you set the bar as high as Romero did with DAWN some people are going to expect that same type of work all the time, especially in a genre you created.

I look at Dawn as the king of zombie films, and as a filmmaker I hope I can meet that bar, or maybe someday exceed it. Dawn is one of the reasons I put a lot of effort into getting cranes and dollies for Deadlands and added the dialog between myself and Brian at the end. Dawn is a great story, although set inside a mall for most of the film, it feels so EPIC for even its meager budget. When you create something that big you have to keep aiming for that scale.

People say Land failed because he made it too epic, ummm, DAWN felt more epic than Land, and of course we all know why Land failed (Big daddy ahem, producers, universal etc etc)

In all the zombies films ever made, Shaun of the Dead is the closest thing we will ever get to a Romero Dawn of the Dead ever again.

DruNewp
15-Sep-2007, 02:16 AM
I've read some good reviews, and some bad ones. Let's all remember that the critics, for the most part, loved LAND. Some called it a masterpiece even. But nobody came to see it. Critic reviews mean nothing when it comes to numbers. Besides fans, who will see it anyway, it's all about marketing. We'll see how they market DIARY.

And, regardless - who cares? I for one don't want the masses ever embracing Romero like we do. That's what makes it so personal for me. I take pride in the films, the people, and even dopey forums like this one. And my collection!

I leave you with my newest addition to my collection, an original program from 1978!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/DruNewp/DSC06422-1.jpg

Minerva_Zombi
15-Sep-2007, 04:14 AM
Reviews... honestly... All of Romero's movies have been misunderstood by most critics. Night was a huge critical success until it was released in Europe. Dawn was labelled as just gorey crap until Roger Ebert praised the film. Day was widely bashed by everyone. And Land was highly accepted by critics... See the trend here? We all know how some of you feel about Land. lol.

panic
15-Sep-2007, 04:48 AM
Actually, that's typically why people write and read movie reviews. Plus, how can you actually have an opinion about a movie you haven't seen. Presumably the reviewer is in a slightly better position to judge, as they've actually seen the film. I'm not saying the reviewer is right, its just that reacting to a negative review by saying movie reviews are stupid is, well, stupid?

Seriously, who cares about these reviews? Good or bad, is it supposed to change my opinion of a film I haven't seen?

capncnut
15-Sep-2007, 06:10 AM
Shaun of the Dead is the closest thing we will ever get to a Romero Dawn of the Dead ever again.
Shaun is NOWHERE near as good as Dawn, I fail to see the similarity.

AcesandEights
15-Sep-2007, 07:44 PM
Mileage varies, Cap'n.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Sep-2007, 08:33 PM
Shaun is NOWHERE near as good as Dawn, I fail to see the similarity.

You're kidding right? Shaun of the Dead is probably the single best zombie film ever made next to the original Dawn of the Dead. They are equally good and YES it is as good as DAWN 1978

Human Rain
15-Sep-2007, 08:54 PM
You're kidding right? Shaun of the Dead is probably the single best zombie film ever made next to the original Dawn of the Dead. They are equally good and YES it is as good as DAWN 1978

Nope. Shaun's a great spoof, but intellectually and cinematically, Dawn is far its superior. Romero's writing, camera work, and editing are the work of a master; Shaun is an effective homage that I really dig, but it doesn't even touch Dawn cinematically.

jim102016
15-Sep-2007, 09:58 PM

No way in hell! Doesn't work that way. Shaun was a spoof played on Romero's trilogy just like Airplane was spoofed off of the Airport movies. Both were great for slapstick laughs, but they're not comparable to their serious-minded (if the thought of a zombie outbreak can be considered serious) models in the same ways. Comparing apples and oranges.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Sep-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't look at Shaun of the Dead as a spoof.

You guys are wishy washy, first when Shaun was out and popular Dead heads trounced on anyone calling it a spoof, now you guys dismiss it when it is the next best zombie film since Dawn of the Dead. Sorry but it is well written and well executed and in many points better.

People with thoughts like you guys have are the f**king reason that half assed slasher piece of **** remake of Halloween made $50,000,000

If you can easily dismiss a great film like Shaun of the Dead

Human Rain
15-Sep-2007, 10:51 PM
Excuse me if I'm new, but I've never considered Shaun a great film. Never have, never will. It's a very good one. Quite funny. Well written. But to understand the technique of Romero - his subversive shots, his timing, his subtle imagery mixed in with extreme violence - is to recognize a master work. I will never say anything negative about Shaun of the Dead; it's a fun film that was a breath of fresh air as both a comedy and a horror film. But like a spoof, it plays up all the obvious bits and exploits them for their humor, as well as taking them seriously enough so that it laughs with the proceedings instead of at the proceedings. It is a better version of what Return of the Living Dead tried to do. To say it is not on par with Romero's classics is not an insult; it wasn't trying to be on that level. It was simply trying to be an effectionate homage, and it worked.

I do not go to many horror movies; I don't like slasher movies. My thinking is reasonable because I fancy myself a thoughtful person: I like clever, interesting films regardless of genre that push the envelope and have a pulse - undead or otherwise. Dawn and Shaun are films I would recommend based on that criteria. Dawn is a great American film, and Shaun is a supreme example of an effective homage. But if each one was falling off a cliff and I could only rescue one, it is not a difficult choice.

DruNewp
16-Sep-2007, 03:23 AM
Shaun was one hell of a flick, and added it's own original twist to the genre. Whether or not it's a classic is subjective. Agree to disagree fellas!

Minerva_Zombi
16-Sep-2007, 07:16 AM
I can almost agree that Shaun and Dawn are very close to one another. Shaun is so brilliant. It has Horror, Great Comedy, Emotion, Action, etc. EVERYTHING WORKS! You'll laugh one minute, cry the next, and barf in between at Harry Potter getting ripped to shreds. lol. But, it isn't as good as Dawn. But by today's standards, Its a work of art.

capncnut
16-Sep-2007, 08:12 AM
I'll be honest, I can't stand Shaun of the Dead. Okay, I can understand while some folks may fall in love with it's simplicity but there's no f**king way in HELL it stands next to Dawn of the Dead. Sorry...

Danny
16-Sep-2007, 11:22 AM
film making wise, with camera work, acting and screenplay im gonna say it DOES stand up to dawn, but there so far apart time wise that they dont really compare well, one has stuff about text messageing and stuff, the other has questionable perms, both are a result of the time there shot in, and the huge gap between makes em unable to compare, but there both a 10/10 in my book.

Griff
16-Sep-2007, 01:49 PM
SHAUN is wonderful but its ideology, if you will, is not its own. It belongs to Romero.

Danny
16-Sep-2007, 02:02 PM
good point, without dawn you wouldnt even have shaun.

major jay
16-Sep-2007, 03:34 PM
The only thing that's bothering me about these negative reviews is all the remarks about the acting being bad. But I really love the idea of comparing how we get information these days. That alone makes me want to see this movie.

bassman
17-Sep-2007, 02:08 PM
Actually, that's typically why people write and read movie reviews. Plus, how can you actually have an opinion about a movie you haven't seen. Presumably the reviewer is in a slightly better position to judge, as they've actually seen the film. I'm not saying the reviewer is right, its just that reacting to a negative review by saying movie reviews are stupid is, well, stupid?

So you start name calling? Cool guy.:rolleyes:

jim102016
17-Sep-2007, 10:09 PM

The reviewer is not necessarily in a better position if he's not viewing it with an open mind. If he goes into the theater hating zombie movies or maybe hating horor flicks altogether, his professional opinion isn't worth sh*t. I don't know how it goes, but movie reviewers have personal tastes and dislikes just as we do and I'm sure they don't always get to pick what they want to rate.

DVW5150
18-Sep-2007, 02:20 AM
Micheal whatever-his-name-is isnt ,well, thinking about a career in ...oh sh*t ...:lol:
I am going to see this film, no matter what is written about it.
Fact of point, I dont want to know anything else about it.

The reviewer should pick through George A Romeros poop for peanuts & corn before ragging on something thats been copied to 'death'.
All the more reason to see it.:moon: