PDA

View Full Version : for STALKER players...

Cykotic
15-Sep-2007, 04:42 PM
Will STALKER run on Windows Vista Home Premium??

MinionZombie
15-Sep-2007, 04:57 PM
I have very important news for Vista gaming!!! You guys know how games crash somtimes, and have….errors? Like in STALKER, the sky will only show on anyhting besides static lighting. I have just found a solution for this STALKER problem and many others.
Vista, of course, can only read about 2 gigs of memory. Most games need 3 gigs…there is a way to make Vista read 3 without screwing up your games with complicated mods…
You have to go into “system” in the system options (RAM, processor speed) then click on “Advanced System Settings.” then go to “Advanced,” then “Performance.” Go to “Advanced” under Performance, then click “Change” on the bottom. Click on “Custom” size, then put “3067″ in both tabs. This will change the System Paging File size, allowing Vista to read more memory. I just found this out, just wanted to share it with the world (mostly the world of STALKER players).

http://www.thinktechno.com/2007/03/13/list-of-vista-compatible-games/

There's probably mods out there specifically aimed at making STALKER Vista compatible, so give that a Googling too.

Cykotic
15-Sep-2007, 04:59 PM
In other words, just install it on XP then?

Tricky
15-Sep-2007, 06:08 PM
Im not sure on stalker,but vista is pretty temperamental when it comes to gaming at the moment!i cant play battlefield 2 on it because punkbuster doesnt seem to get on with it & it kicks you off the servers after a minute in a round!and while playing other games i get the odd crash where its says my display driver has failed which usually means having to bring up task manager & quit the game :rolleyes: pain in the ol' derriere!vista has some creases to iron out for sure,but once its sorted i think it will be a good gaming platform

MinionZombie
16-Sep-2007, 10:39 AM
So usual MS OS then, buggy-as-fook to kick off with, then will eventually be decent.

Anyway, aye, stick with XP if you can for STALKER. Also, the better your PC, the better the results you'll get from STALKER, which can be a bit hungry on resources. The better the rig, the better it'll look, but the fascinating zone will still be fascinating even if your graphics aren't sh*t hot (like for me).

A great game.

Tricky
16-Sep-2007, 02:17 PM
Eeeh i know i keep spec dropping,but i bet stalker will look sweet on my rig!:D it can wait though as i seem to be building a collection of games that i never end up completing because i always buy another one that catches my eye in the shops!

MinionZombie
16-Sep-2007, 02:43 PM
lol!

Well indeed, STALKER will look f*cking schweet-as on your rig, I can guarantee you that. Also, you can get it on play.com for a tenner, boshty.

I say get it once you know Vista will play it properly (either via a Vista update or from a good community mod), and also, get it when you don't really have other things to play. You need to get immersed and dedicate your gaming life to it for a good couple of weeks on the first play through, lots of exploring and adventure in the first half, then the second half rachets up the action until it's balls-out shooting around the most famous of landmarks.

Cykotic
16-Sep-2007, 04:58 PM
This is the spec for the laptop i'm gonna try to run it on:

Intel Pentium Processor T2080

1.73GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB Cache

Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium

2GB Memory

160GB Hard Drive

15.4" TruBrite Widescreen Display

256MB Intel 900 Media Accelerator