PDA

View Full Version : Colin McRae believed to have been killed in a helicopter crash!

Neil
16-Sep-2007, 08:17 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6997134.stm

MinionZombie
16-Sep-2007, 10:44 AM
:( Indeed.

I saw this on the news last night, I think it's pretty definite he was killed in the crash. They said nobody survived. It's registered to him, crashed near his house, he hasn't been in contact with anyone - so aside from DNA/dental records being confirmed, it's pretty much guaranteed the poor bloke has been killed. :(

I remember following the 1995 rally that he won, kept the newspaper clippings in a scrapbook and everything.

If any Americans are going "who?" without looking at the link - yes, the bloke whose name makes up "Colin McRae Rally" and "Colin McRae: Dirt".

And a mere 5 days away from a year since Richard Hammond nearly lost his life in that crash too. Bit of a difference I know, but still...

And there was that plane crash yesterday at that air show, the pilot died there too. :(

Tricky
16-Sep-2007, 02:03 PM
And there was that plane crash yesterday at that air show, the pilot died there too. :(

Its tragic that as well as the loss of the pilot,its also the loss of a part of british history & it cant be replaced :(

MinionZombie
16-Sep-2007, 02:41 PM
So not a good day for Britain yesterday then really.

The loss of a pilot, the loss of a piece of rare war history, and the loss of one of our WRC champions. :(

And just think of the poor family left behind (wife & daughter), cos McRae's son was on board as well! :eek: Sounds like there was also possibly another father/son combo on board too (like a friend of the family or something).

A terrible thing indeed.

slickwilly13
16-Sep-2007, 04:25 PM
I read about this on a Filipino forum I belong to. Live life to its fullest, because you never know...

Neil
16-Sep-2007, 05:24 PM
Rally driving in my opinion must be one of the most demanding forms of motor sport!

MinionZombie
16-Sep-2007, 05:30 PM
Rally driving in my opinion must be one of the most demanding forms of motor sport!
It certainly does look like a difficult sport, and indeed I imagine it actually is too. Getting your timing right, chucking the car sideways around a corner a fair bit before you even get to the corner, then chucking it the other way for the next corner, on gravel and all sorts, narrow roads and all sorts - and all when barging it are ludicrous speeds.

capncnut
17-Sep-2007, 07:24 AM
"Four over crest into hairpin"

Yeah, this is awful news, his little boy died in the crash too.