PDA

View Full Version : Extra Character Info

SRP76
19-Sep-2007, 04:14 AM
I've happened upon several "additional" tidbits about the various characters in the ...Dead films.

Things such as characters' last names, and the "fact" that Peter (from Dawn) "has a brother in jail", and things like that.

Now, I ask: where does this stuff come from?! None of it is stated in the films. Are they in the original scripts (I've only read the Day script), or something?

Or are these things just fan-made?

bassman
19-Sep-2007, 04:34 AM
I've happened upon several "additional" tidbits about the various characters in the ...Dead films.

Things such as characters' last names, and the "fact" that Peter (from Dawn) "has a brother in jail", and things like that.

Now, I ask: where does this stuff come from?! None of it is stated in the films. Are they in the original scripts (I've only read the Day script), or something?

Or are these things just fan-made?

I fail to see what answer you're looking for....

Peter actually says that he has a brother in jail in "Dawn"...

Can you explain a bit more, please? I missed your question, I think...

SRP76
19-Sep-2007, 04:39 AM
Peter actually says that he has a brother in jail in "Dawn"...

He does not!

Where? When?! I've seen the movie about a hundred times, and have never seen a scene in which Peter says anything at all about himself.

I'm thoroughly confused now....

I saw what I assume was the theatrical version on VHS way back in like '84, owned an "uncut" VHS version, and now I have a "Special Edition" DVD version. NONE of them had any mention.

ProfessorChaos
19-Sep-2007, 06:13 AM
yes, dude, he does mention this, it is in the scene where they are leaving philadelphia in the chopper and fran asks everyone who among them is leaving anyone behind...

peters says a couple brothers, then later fran asks if they are real brothers or street brothers, to which he replies real. one's in jail (there's a thread here somewhere on that, titled "one's in jail") and the other is a pro ball-player, but they still catch up time to time. watch more closely, brother. it should definitely be on your special edition dvd.

btw, welcome to the soft parade.

SRP76
19-Sep-2007, 06:49 AM
Ah, now I understand. No, it's not on any version I've ever had.*cries*

On the DVD I have now, they take off, light their smokes (that they refused to give the cross-eyed guy), and start off with Peter asking Fran if "he's (Stephen) your man".

Apparently, a whole bunch of stuff was chopped out.

The version I have is 2 hours, 7 minutes, so I couldn't imagine I missed very much, though. And oddly, it has Romero and Savini on a commentary track, and they make no mention of "there was a scene here, that we cut out of the theatrical release". Nothing. Just gone without a trace. *cries again*

ProfessorChaos
19-Sep-2007, 07:18 AM
just check out the "important" (sticky) threads at the top of the dead discussions page, the last one titled "looking for the best dvd/soundtrack", and there is a nifty guide to what you need, brother.

bassman
19-Sep-2007, 12:09 PM

On the DVD I have now, they take off, light their smokes (that they refused to give the cross-eyed guy), and start off with Peter asking Fran if "he's (Stephen) your man".

Apparently, a whole bunch of stuff was chopped out.

The version I have is 2 hours, 7 minutes, so I couldn't imagine I missed very much, though. And oddly, it has Romero and Savini on a commentary track, and they make no mention of "there was a scene here, that we cut out of the theatrical release". Nothing. Just gone without a trace. *cries again*

Do you have the "Ultimate Edition" with all 3 cuts of the film? If not, that's what you need. I can't remember which version has the line(or if all three of them do), but I know that one of them does...

dmbfanintn
19-Sep-2007, 01:33 PM
The "One's in Jail" dialog is only in the Cannes edit of the film.

The theatrical starts out with "Is he your man?" most of the time, just like to know who everybody is.....

They cut all the other out in the theatrical....Get the Cannes cut (Or directors cut, if you will) the scene is in it...

capncnut
19-Sep-2007, 07:33 PM
Just wait until you see the extended civil defence scene in the European version, save your tears for then. :D

The version I have is 2 hours, 7 minutes, so I couldn't imagine I missed very much, though...
Mmm, 156 mins is the longest version (semi) available. That's almost 30 mins longer...

ProfessorChaos
19-Sep-2007, 07:51 PM
capn, which scene are you talking about when you say "civil defense" scene?

capncnut
19-Sep-2007, 08:01 PM
Flyboy - "Those things can be stopped so easily. If people would just listen, do what has to be done."

Peter - "How 'bout it Flyboy? Let's say the lady get's killed, will you be able to chop off her head?"

:D

ProfessorChaos
19-Sep-2007, 08:06 PM
yeah, that was a killer scene. i wish that someone would put together a master cut with all the awesome dialogue, head-shots, scenes, etc

i really liked the line peter said when they stopped for fuel:

"where the hell are we goin'?" (under his breath)

it really helped set the mood, i don't know why it wasn't left in either the us version or the extended version, but is included on the european version.

capncnut
19-Sep-2007, 08:17 PM
yeah, that was a killer scene. i wish that someone would put together a master cut with all the awesome dialogue, head-shots, scenes, etc.
Well essentially that's the Krekel Ultimate Cut and all the subsequent 'fancuts' that followed. But yeah, I think GAR should go back into the editing room with all existing re-mastered footage and come up with an official complete version for the 30th anniversary.

Yojimbo
19-Sep-2007, 09:04 PM
He does not!

Where? When?! I've seen the movie about a hundred times, and have never seen a scene in which Peter says anything at all about himself.

I'm thoroughly confused now....

I saw what I assume was the theatrical version on VHS way back in like '84, owned an "uncut" VHS version, and now I have a "Special Edition" DVD version. NONE of them had any mention.

Dude, he does too! Though, I cannot recall which version it was, there was dialogue after they head "straight up" from the police docks where Stephen asks if anyone was leaving anyone behind. Peter very clearly says that he is leaving two brothers behind. Fran asks if they are real brothers or street brothers, to which Peter answers that they are real brothers and that one is in jail and the other is a ball player. Peter then asks if Stephen is Fran's man, to which Fran replies, "most of the time, yeah"

This has been cut down some in the Theatrical Version, but I think is still in the Cannes Cut.

Also, a lot of the missing information, such as Fran's surname age, and the fact that she lost weight after her divorce, blah, blah, is contained in the original script and in the novelization that GAR did with Susanna Sparrow. Cool read if you can find it since it's been ou of print for over 20 years.

Edit: Guess a bunch of the heads here beat me to this info, so it goes to show that the whole thread needs to be read before a response is given. But I am curious about what "civil defense" sequence is being referenced. Can someone clarify?

ProfessorChaos
19-Sep-2007, 09:08 PM
yep, i got that book...pretty killer. what else is a good read is the complete night of the living dead filmbook.:)

Yojimbo
19-Sep-2007, 09:57 PM
yep, i got that book...pretty killer. what else is a good read is the complete night of the living dead filmbook.:)
Gotta get that one, haven't seen it yet.

Also, at one time I had the paperback version of Book of the Dead, which disintegrated on me after taking it on a vacation trip. (paperbacks fall apart so easily) I heard about, but never read, Book of the Dead II. Both books, in case you don't already know, were compilations of zombie themed stories by mainstream authors, such as Stephen King, Peter Straub, etc. Need to find copies of both books, but haven't found them yet.

ProfessorChaos
19-Sep-2007, 10:00 PM
yeah brother, got both those books. book of the dead 2 is called "still dead", and there's even a third anthology out, but only one of the 2 dudes from the first 2 books edited this one, it's called "mondo zombie" all are killer, you should be able to find 'em on ebay.

someone just started a thread on book of the dead in fiction, btw

SRP76
19-Sep-2007, 10:19 PM
Thank all you guys for pointing me in the right direction.

Now, I feel ripped off. Wow, I got a DVD with 800 hours of crap: audio commentaries, production notes, trivia games....worthless!

What good is all that crap, if the movie itself is all chopped up?!

Well, I'll be keeping my eyes open at Best Buy and FYE from here out, looking for a better version...

ProfessorChaos
19-Sep-2007, 10:34 PM
you can find it cheaper on the net, bro.

Yojimbo
19-Sep-2007, 10:40 PM
Thank all you guys for pointing me in the right direction.

Now, I feel ripped off. Wow, I got a DVD with 800 hours of crap: audio commentaries, production notes, trivia games....worthless!

What good is all that crap, if the movie itself is all chopped up?!

Well, I'll be keeping my eyes open at Best Buy and FYE from here out, looking for a better version...

Brother, go and look for the Ultimate Edition. Has most of the mainstream versions (theatrical, cannes (aka directors cut) and euro release, in addition to the document of the dead by Roy Frumkes, a pretty cool behind the scenes flick which was filmed at Monroeville while they were filiming DOTD. Choice stuff, that!) BTW: I don't have the version that you have, so what you've got sounds pretty cool.

capncnut
20-Sep-2007, 12:36 AM
Just be thankful you didn't get the UK early nineties 4Front edition. ALMOST every gore scene in the movie was cut except for the helicopter chop and Flyboys headshot.

SRP76
20-Sep-2007, 12:41 AM
Just be thankful you didn't get the UK early nineties 4Front edition. ALMOST every gore scene in the movie was cut except for the helicopter chop and Flyboys headshot.

That's horrible. Cutting all that takes away significant plot.

Without seeing Stephen getting chomped, you end up with "all of a sudden, he's a zombie", and you're left wondering, "how did that happen?!". Same deal with cutting out the scene where the zombies massacre the bikers. You go from a scene where they're running all over the mall, to "hey, where'd they all go?".

I would feel very ripped off if I paid to see something like that.

Yojimbo
22-Sep-2007, 12:52 AM

Cap, a little digression, I know, but I am curious. On your signature you have a very interesting quote about ambition. Where did that come from.

Apologies to the thread! Party on.

That's horrible. Cutting all that takes away significant plot.

Without seeing Stephen getting chomped, you end up with "all of a sudden, he's a zombie", and you're left wondering, "how did that happen?!". Same deal with cutting out the scene where the zombies massacre the bikers. You go from a scene where they're running all over the mall, to "hey, where'd they all go?".

I would feel very ripped off if I paid to see something like that.

I don't know, but sometimes I get a kick out of seeing movies editied for Television where they replace expletives with terms like "Melon Farmer" and "Mickey Freaky" So while cutting out the gore from DOTD would be a crime against humanity, I'm wondering if it might be hilarious on some level. Like, there we have the helicopter scene, and Roger is filling the gas tank and the zombie is on the boxes behind him and Stephen yells out to him and then suddenly the scene cuts forward to Peter pointing his gun at Stephen who is now on the ground. Or Miguelito is being hugged by his girlfriend and she is saying "Mi Vida" and Migeulito looks at her with those blank zombie eyes and opens his mouth and then CUT TO Roger and Peter in basement talking about running-

On second thought, I'd be pissed too if I paid for that!

capncnut
22-Sep-2007, 01:07 PM
The 4Front edition is a particularly messy version and should be avoided at all costs. One minor example is where Peter and Roger are in the 107 basement and Peter refills his pistol after only two shots... :rolleyes:

Cap, a little digression, I know, but I am curious. On your signature you have a very interesting quote about ambition. Where did that come from.
Click here (http://satanicsingles.com/library/SatanicBible.pdf)

jim102016
22-Sep-2007, 01:57 PM
Flyboy - "Those things can be stopped so easily. If people would just listen, do what has to be done."

Peter - "How 'bout it Flyboy? Let's say the lady get's killed, will you be able to chop off her head?"

Never heard that before!
Wow, I've seen the movie maybe thirty times, thought I had the dialogue memorized. I thought I had the best version!

MoonSylver
22-Sep-2007, 11:18 PM
Never heard that before!
Wow, I've seen the movie maybe thirty times, thought I had the dialogue memorized. I thought I had the best version!

Yeah, that's the European (Argento) cut. Even though it's SHORTER in runtime, it has all kinds of alternate camera angles & such, plus the aforementiond scene & a few other snippits of dialog. If you're a "Dawn" fan, that big ol' black box Ultimate Edition is SOOOOO worth it. ;)

capncnut
23-Sep-2007, 10:35 AM
Yeah, that's the European cut. Even though it's SHORTER in runtime, it has all kinds of alternate camera angles & such, plus the aforementiond scene & a few other snippits of dialog.
I think this little vid says it all really.

sNF6ug7TekU

LivingDeadBeat
18-Oct-2007, 06:18 PM
^No longer available. I'm in the UK and I'm pretty sure the 'Ultimate Edition' is region 1. I have a PS3 which is apparently region free, but I don't really want to risk it considering some music DVDs I own play in Black and white. I have the 'Director's Cut' 139 mins and the Full Uncut Version 140 mins, what am I missing out on?

dmbfanintn
18-Oct-2007, 06:33 PM
Edit: Guess a bunch of the heads here beat me to this info, so it goes to show that the whole thread needs to be read before a response is given. But I am curious about what "civil defense" sequence is being referenced. Can someone clarify?

This is only in the Argento version, when they are on the roof after first getting to the mall and they find the skylight that leads to the hideout.

Roger says this doesnt go down into the mall, what the hell is this?

Peter pulls out his flashlight and shines it down in there and says "Civil Defense, Civil defense water supplies"

also, after raiding the mall for the first time, Stephen Roger and Peter have the conversation about Fran being pregnant.

This is where the lines come in, only in the Argento verison, where Stephen say something like:

we kicked thier asses. they talk about phily and he says that place was a madhouse, probably over run. Then he says why cant people just do what has to be done, and peter says, "how bout if flyboy, lets say the lady gets killed, you be able chop off her head?"

Also the additional dialog in the basement of 107 before the priest comes out AND the additional dialog of the priest. All of this is only in the Argento version. I really like hearing all of the dialog that we never got to hear over the years before the interwebs came about....

jim102016
18-Oct-2007, 08:07 PM

Sh*t, twenty years of watching that film and I've never seen this scene. Matter of fact, never even noticed anyone talking WOW, I think I have three different versions of the film laying around. In my mind there should be two versions: One that naturally has to be cut down for time constraints, etc. and the Director's cut which contains everything that had to be let out. Releasing different stuff to different countries is complete HORSE****!

acealive1
18-Oct-2007, 08:53 PM
what book? where! i want it!!

Suicycho
18-Oct-2007, 10:53 PM
Most all of that dialogue is also in the novelization of Dawn.

There is a part in the novel where Peter talks about a guy busting out a chessboard and asking a king for one grain of rice for the first square, 2 for the second, 4 for the third, 8 for the fourth etc. as an analogy for zombies reproducing exponentially.

jim102016
19-Oct-2007, 11:33 PM
This is only in the Argento version, when they are on the roof after first getting to the mall and they find the skylight that leads to the hideout.

Roger says this doesnt go down into the mall, what the hell is this?

Peter pulls out his flashlight and shines it down in there and says "Civil Defense, Civil defense water supplies"

also, after raiding the mall for the first time, Stephen Roger and Peter have the conversation about Fran being pregnant.

This is where the lines come in, only in the Argento verison, where Stephen say something like:

we kicked thier asses. they talk about phily and he says that place was a madhouse, probably over run. Then he says why cant people just do what has to be done, and peter says, "how bout if flyboy, lets say the lady gets killed, you be able chop off her head?"

Also the additional dialog in the basement of 107 before the priest comes out AND the additional dialog of the priest. All of this is only in the Argento version. I really like hearing all of the dialog that we never got to hear over the years before the interwebs came about....

I had some CDs once from overseas and they were awful on my DVD player. Would the European DVD or Argento cut work ok on DVD player in the states?

Legion2213
20-Oct-2007, 06:46 PM
I had some CDs once from overseas and they were awful on my DVD player. Would the European DVD or Argento cut work ok on DVD player in the states?

The Dawn "Ultimate" DVD set has the Argento cut...it's R1, should be fine on your player.

http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Dead-Ultimate-Ted-Bank/dp/B0002IQNAG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-2987027-3386866?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1192905939&sr=8-2

acealive1
20-Oct-2007, 06:58 PM
The Dawn "Ultimate" DVD set has the Argento cut...it's R1, should be fine on your player.

http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Dead-Ultimate-Ted-Bank/dp/B0002IQNAG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-2987027-3386866?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1192905939&sr=8-2

theres region free players out now

Yojimbo
20-Oct-2007, 09:00 PM
Click here (http://satanicsingles.com/library/SatanicBible.pdf)

Cap, thought so! That Anton is one funny guy!

Most all of that dialogue is also in the novelization of Dawn.

There is a part in the novel where Peter talks about a guy busting out a chessboard and asking a king for one grain of rice for the first square, 2 for the second, 4 for the third, 8 for the fourth etc. as an analogy for zombies reproducing exponentially.

Bitchen! Totally forgot about that one! "dude got all the rice in the kingdom" Gotta pull my book out and check it out.