PDA

View Full Version : Odd version of Dawn.

Burbank
19-Sep-2007, 09:07 PM
Now, as far as I know there are 3 versions of Dawn. The original cut, the directors cut and the "German" cut.

I have the directors cut on video and have watched it alot. I've waited for the nice box set to come out in the UK before investing in a DVD version of the film, but it never seemed to appear.

However, my girlfriend, knowing I'm a fan of the film got me it on DVD and I watched it a few nights ago. It was a really odd version... it seemed like the directors cut meets the original cinema cut, but it's been years since I've seen the original cut as well!

For example, the scene at the harbour was really cut down from what I remember. There is no confrontation between Stephan, Fran and the runway police officers.

Then the famous scene in the abandoned airport - I know in the original cut they don't show the zombie children, Peter just shoots the door and that is that. However in this version - zombie children!

Any ideas?

Yojimbo
19-Sep-2007, 09:50 PM
Now, as far as I know there are 3 versions of Dawn. The original cut, the directors cut and the "German" cut.

I have the directors cut on video and have watched it alot. I've waited for the nice box set to come out in the UK before investing in a DVD version of the film, but it never seemed to appear.

However, my girlfriend, knowing I'm a fan of the film got me it on DVD and I watched it a few nights ago. It was a really odd version... it seemed like the directors cut meets the original cinema cut, but it's been years since I've seen the original cut as well!

For example, the scene at the harbour was really cut down from what I remember. There is no confrontation between Stephan, Fran and the runway police officers.

Then the famous scene in the abandoned airport - I know in the original cut they don't show the zombie children, Peter just shoots the door and that is that. However in this version - zombie children!

Any ideas?

Sounds like the Euro Cut.

EvilNed
19-Sep-2007, 09:58 PM
They show the kids in the theatrical. I have it, and they've always been there.

SoCalLoco
20-Sep-2007, 05:52 AM
Actually, the Director's cut is the US Theatrical version. Then, there's the uncut, extended version, also called the Cannes cut, I believe. Then there's the Euro cut from Claudio and Dario Argento.

Yojimbo
20-Sep-2007, 03:29 PM
Actually, the Director's cut is the US Theatrical version. Then, there's the uncut, extended version, also called the Cannes cut, I believe. Then there's the Euro cut from Claudio and Dario Argento.

THe US Theatrical Version is GAR's favorite version, but I don't believe that is the version that folks are referring to when they are talking about the "Directors Cut"

The "Cannes Edit" is often referred to as the "Directors Cut"-- somewhat of a misnomer since this is the version which, while longer, is considered to be by GAR as being less tight and streamlined than the Theatrical Release which he considers to be the ultimate version.

So while GAR's pick would be the Theatrical Version, I think it would cause confusion to refer to that version as the "Directors Cut" since, rightly or wrongly, this is what most people call the "Cannes Edit"

GAR does refer to an interlock edit which is significantly longer than any other version, but apparently this no longer exists. Too bad, though!

MikePizzoff
20-Sep-2007, 04:31 PM
It seems to me like you're watching the Euro version. Is the soundtrack (Goblin) very repeatative? I know the one song, I believe it's called "Zombie", is played 7 times in the Euro cut. :rockbrow:

capncnut
20-Sep-2007, 05:45 PM
Definitely sounds like the Euro. In the UK, there were a whole bunch of cuts, some of which spliced versions together. The original Intervision release spliced the Euro and Theatrical, another one that was later released had a few scene elongations like the Extended. Let's not forget the 4Front edition which removes almost all the gore out, though I doubt any of those versions made it to DVD though.

clanglee
20-Sep-2007, 10:48 PM
That sounds like the US theatrical cut to me. That's the one I've seen the most, It has the Zed kids, and they meet the cops, but the confrontation is cut out. Just the nice stuff. . cigarettes and "straight up!"