PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Ultimate Edition

millsaps05
25-Sep-2007, 06:14 PM
Hey guys!! I'm not new to the forum, but I've only been a lurker until now. I had a question about the Dawn of the Dead Ultimate. How good is it? I have a copy of Dawn, but it isn't very good. I was just wondering if Dawn Ultimate Edition is worth upgrading to? Thanks.

ProfessorChaos
25-Sep-2007, 06:16 PM
welcome....i would say that it is a must-have for any fan. three different versions of the film (u.s. theatrical, extended, european) and a fourth disc with all kinds of bonus goodies. trust me, this is a purchase you will NOT regret.

millsaps05
25-Sep-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks. How good is the picture quality? The copy of DOTD i have was a $10.00 version from Wal-Mart that skips during certain scenes on my DVD players (not just a problem with a particular DVD player).

ProfessorChaos
25-Sep-2007, 06:32 PM
i'm not very educated in the terminology of these things, but i'm pretty sure it's not digitally restored or anything, but it looks better than the 1st edition dvd i used to have (which i paid like 40 bucks for at the time-it was kinda rare). the audio has been remastered, though, at least on the u.s. theatrical version.

check the sticky threads (the word important is in bold red print beside them)at the top of the dead discussion forums, find the one titled "looking for the best...?" and you should be able to follow a link to amazon.com for more details.

DjfunkmasterG
25-Sep-2007, 06:42 PM
actually it is a brand new transfer so yes it is digitally remastered. These DVD's in the special edition (Ultimate Edition) have new remastered picture. DD and DTS 5.1 sound and the original Mono sound.

The best transfer was the Argento Cut because it was in the worst shape possible. Their restoration of it was fantastic.

I just read the specs on the blu-ray edition of Dawn of the Dead and for $30.00 they can shove it. It uses the US cut with an edited version of the featurette and really no other bonus goodies.

I will stick to my SD - DVD and whenthey get smart and go with the better format (HD-DVD) then I may plop down the cash to buy it again... if they bulk up the features.

MoonSylver
25-Sep-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm not a super-tech guy, but to me the transfer looked FANTASTIC. Clean clear image & rich vibrant color. If you're a fan of "Dawn" this is the must-have version.
---MS

Mr.X
25-Sep-2007, 09:29 PM
It's the best edition, and worth ever cent. Buy it.

MinionZombie
25-Sep-2007, 09:50 PM
I got the Ultimate Edition DVD when it came out, had it pre-ordered and everything. It's one of the single best DVD purchases I've ever made. If you're a GAR fan, a zed fan or a flat out Dawn fan, it's a must-have, nuff said. It's great. :)

ProfessorChaos
26-Sep-2007, 12:30 AM
while i was stuck in iraq, one of my buddies came back from the big px in baghdad (we were stationed in fallujah) and said he had picked up something for me for my birthday.

since he knew i was like the biggest fan of romero's dead films, he had thought of me when he saw something killer, he said. by now, i was practically shaking him to death saying "what the fu(k is it, brother?"

the he pulled the ultimate edition out of his rucksack, and i was stunned...4 discs! holy sh!t!!! i must have spent the next two evenings back at my barracks watching every version, all the special features, etc. needless to say, that made my birthday in iraq one of the best b-days i've ever had.

sadly, i thought back to the time when dawn was so hard to find on dvd that i ended up payin close to 40 bucks for a single disc edition that had no special features, just the film, plus scene selection. it was still killer to have it, but it doesn't even compare to the ultimate edition.

DeadJonas190
26-Sep-2007, 06:26 AM
It is worth it. Buy it today and be joyful, for it is the greatest version to date.

Plus a few of us members are on the mall tour on the 4th disk.