PDA

View Full Version : Add this one to the list of remakes...

Neil
01-Oct-2007, 08:35 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Karate-Kid-Remake-6486.html

ProfessorChaos
01-Oct-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't know which is worse: the fact that they're remaking Karate Kid or the thought of Will Smith's kid becoming an "actor" just like his father.:bored:

AcesandEights
01-Oct-2007, 08:55 AM
*Salutes* the original Karate Kid. You were the best around...till Hollywood decided you might be profitable as rehash.

-Qae_TUTeGo

*Sniff, sniff* Beautiful, in all its 80s cheesiness :(

ProfessorChaos
01-Oct-2007, 08:59 AM
believe it or not, my girlfriend has never seen the original...better hurry up and watch it with her before she gets the wrong impression from this new piece-of-cobra-kai sh!t...:|

Danny
01-Oct-2007, 09:38 AM
bollox, no one can replace mr miyagi.:cool:

MinionZombie
01-Oct-2007, 10:04 AM
Guaranteed - it'll blow in comparison and the Karate Kid people love is the 80s original, why studios think they can recreate the history again is beyond me, they must all be high on crack and crack-whores.

The reasons why a movie has done so well is because it was one of the few that stuck in people's minds, it had the x-factor to be good and inspiring - plus it's had umpteen years of cult success and following, as well as VHS and DVD sales...you can't recreate that, it's just not possible.

Guaranteed suck-fest that the fans lash out at.

Looks like Hollywood is making it's last, desperate push in the remake stakes, having almost run out of remaking ideas. Methinks (or hopes) this is the last push and that most of these projects end up in the long grass of nothingness and then the whole "new 3-D" thing kicks off to distract them elsewhere.

As I've said before, I'd rather see films re-released in 3-D than remade.

ProfessorChaos
01-Oct-2007, 01:14 PM
Looks like Hollywood is making it's last, desperate push in the remake stakes, having almost run out of remaking ideas. Methinks (or hopes) this is the last push and that most of these projects end up in the long grass of nothingness and then the whole "new 3-D" thing kicks off to distract them elsewhere.

Hate to be the pessimist, but seems like this statement or ones just like it keep popping up all over the internet, and it's usually only a week or three before they announce the possibility of another remake. I think it's actually a cyclic effect, and by the end of this year, we'll be hearing about the upcoming remakes of Team America, Donnie Darko, American Psycho, and all sorts of other movies that are less than ten years old. Perhaps they'll remake so many films that they'll literally run out of stuff to remake. Or, maybe if we just ignore the problem it'll go away.....:| Although I seriously doubt that'll work.

Surely, those of us who consider themselves to be purist could use our beloved buddy the internet to help stage a global boycott of one of these films, and instead of paying 8 bucks to go see it in theaters, we could convince everyone to go out and buy the original version on dvd the weekend the remake hits theaters. Or maybe we could firebomb all the theaters that are running the remakes, therefore destroying the outlets and products (much like the Boston Tea Party). We could even arrange to do this during a packed showing, and kill two birds (and thousands of moronic brainless people who enjoy the whole remake fad) in the process.

(Sorry to quote you to point this out MZ, it's not like I'm blaming you or anything)

AcesandEights
01-Oct-2007, 01:30 PM
believe it or not, my girlfriend has never seen the original...better hurry up and watch it with her...

I say, it's a must! Introducing people to movies is great fun, especially if you suspect (or know) they may appreciate it. The Karate Kid is cheesy...if she's not from the generation that saw it, she may not enjoy it, but better to try something and know you don't like it, than never try it and possibly miss out.

MissJacksonCA
01-Oct-2007, 01:52 PM
It would be hard for the remake to stand up to the overall feel of the origional. It was so clean and sweet. But I think this remake may very well do well. I used to know a bunch of moms who put their kids into karate class its like the 'new thing' for the wealthy to do with their kiddies is to buy them black belts so there's going to be a ton of kids and families going to see it. I just dont think the message can be the same as in the origional because in schools today and parks all over ...kids dont fight fair and they're using weapons. And in general kids have no respect for their elders or parents or adults in general. I'm sure the movie will blow though because hey... whens the remake ever better than the origional? Except of course for King Kong ...

SRP76
01-Oct-2007, 07:34 PM
Or, maybe if we just ignore the problem it'll go away.....:| Although I seriously doubt that'll work.

I disagree with that.

"Ignoring the problem" is exactly what we need, and it's the only thing that will work:

The reason these movies are made, is to turn a quick buck. They're counting on people coming to the theatre, plunking down their money, and seeing the movies. Now, if we don't do that - "ignore it"- then they won't make the money.

If they don't make the money, they'll move away from this, and try something else. This is the only way to break them of this habit.

As long as the cash keeps rolling in, they will continue to do this.

But.....The Karate Kid?! :lol:

ProfessorChaos
01-Oct-2007, 08:04 PM
well, i was saying us, as in hpotd folk...i seriously doubt that it'll work because there's just way too many morons who can't find anything else to do on a friday but go waste money on sh!t movies.