PDA

View Full Version : NOTLD, the stage show!

Geophyrd
05-Oct-2007, 12:04 PM
This is a blip from my blog, going to be posted midweek next week, but thought I'd share in advance...

Night of the Living Dead – I don’t know if anyone in Corvallis, Oregon reads my blog. But I know people who would go to Corvallis because they’re mounting NOTLD as a play (http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2007/10/04/entertainment/cover/cov01_livingdead.txt). It’s the whole sick crew: Barbara (“They’re coming for you Barbara!”), Ben (not sure of his ethnicity…did you know that Ben in the original 1968 version was the first African American to act as a lead in a movie? Romero always said it was because actor Duane Jones was the best actor any of them knew), the Coopers, Tom and Judy. And a lot of boards. And screaming. I wanna go!

Updated...Uhm, sorry didn't realize there was a thread below.

Trencher
05-Oct-2007, 05:31 PM
What a great idea! Night are very suited for the stage.

Yojimbo
05-Oct-2007, 11:50 PM
I saw the Gangbusters version here in Los Angeles late last year and enjoyed it. I agree that it translates well to the stage, but what is weird is recently there have been a number of productions in this vein, whereas there had not been any in the previous years.

Why, suddenly, are so many folks producing plays based on NOLD?

Trencher
07-Oct-2007, 07:11 PM
The dawn04 and land movies introduced the Romero zombie genre to a lot of more people, and shook off the bmovie stigma that have been associated with it.

Yojimbo
08-Oct-2007, 04:38 PM
The dawn04 and land movies introduced the Romero zombie genre to a lot of more people, and shook off the bmovie stigma that have been associated with it.

That is true. And a lot of time has passed. Like cars, after a certain number of years it can automatically be classified as "classic"

slutdaddy
12-Oct-2007, 06:24 PM
Why, suddenly, are so many folks producing plays based on NOLD?

i think partly because of what was said already about the introduction of Romero to new audiences but also think that

1 - Zombies are the new Vampires - right now it seems they are the "in" monster for movies. Or at least that genre

2 - The film is in public domain so there is a lot of freedom and free use - and though it has been so for a little while now it took some people longer to catch on than others.

3 - As I said in my other thread about my production: there is a great dramatic quality to the "strangers trapped together in a confined area during the apocolypse"

That and Halloween is just around the corner so some productions may have been put off or placed around this time (though personally i would like to see the play go up around the 1st of may - when the movie is said to have taken place)

just my two bits