PDA

View Full Version : Resistance is Futile....

Kaos
05-Oct-2007, 01:15 PM
Resistance is Futile! (http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9790825-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20)

October 3, 2007 3:59 PM PDT
MIT develops brain-to-machine algorithm

Posted by Stefanie Olsen (http://www.news.com/8300-10784_3-7.html?authorId=137&tag=author)
Scientists are making progress on neural devices that can translate the thoughts of a paralyzed person into driving action for a prosthetic device.
Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology said Wednesday that they've developed an algorithm for a neural prosthetic aid that can link an individual's brain activity to the person's intentions; and then translate that intention into movement.

Of course, other scientists have already done that, and built prototypes for neural brain-to-machine devices that can work for animals or humans. But each team has taken a different approach to the problem, such as developing algorithms for measuring activity in a specific brain region, or measuring them through EEGs vs. optical imaging.

MIT said that it has developed a unified algorithm that can work within the parameters of these different approaches. Lakshminarayan "Ram" Srinivasan, lead author of a paper on the subject, said MIT's new graphical models are applicable no matter what measurement technique is used.

"We don't need to reinvent a new paradigm for each modality or brain region," he said in a statement.

Still, he said, the algorithm isn't perfect, nor the final solution to solving what is a difficult problem. "Translating an algorithm into a fully functioning clinical device will require a great deal of work, but also represents an intriguing road of scientific and engineering development for the years to come," according to MIT.

MIT will publish a paper on the subject in the October edition of the Journal of Neurophysiology.

MissJacksonCA
05-Oct-2007, 01:50 PM
That's awesome. I saw once a group utilizing (or attempting to) something similar to help a woman who was no longer able to walk and with it she was able to walk a marathon. We are so blessed that there are people out there who toil day and night to cure or attempt to cute these problems.

capncnut
05-Oct-2007, 04:29 PM
Well, it was only a matter of time before the Neural Interface became a reality. Who's gonna have the money to get one though? I wouldn't mind betting it's gonna cost a whole s**tload of dollar.

Terran
05-Oct-2007, 09:58 PM
I cant wait to become a robot!

Yojimbo
08-Oct-2007, 11:09 PM
I cant wait to become a robot!

Terran, you rule, dog!

In the future there will be robots!

kortick
09-Oct-2007, 06:33 AM
The thing is Terran is completely serious

he probably would make a good robot too