PDA

View Full Version : GTA music

acealive1
09-Oct-2007, 02:11 AM
is the grand theft auto grandchise(not a typo) starting after 3 the best in video game music?

Danny
09-Oct-2007, 02:22 AM
nope, youve got the likes of obscure, silent hill, metal gear, final fantasy and loads more which are origional fantastic compositions, the gta series jsut takes songs from the time and puts the ones they can get the rights to in the game, not to say i dont enjoy running over fat guys in hawaian shirts to "video killed the radio star", but ill stick with the likes of akira yamoaka anyday.

plus theres allways guitar hero 1 and 2 of course.

MikePizzoff
09-Oct-2007, 03:03 AM
is the grand theft auto grandchise(not a typo) starting after 3 the best in video game music?

After 3? I thought the soundtrack for 3 was pretty awesome.

SRP76
09-Oct-2007, 03:04 AM
For "real" music, GTA is the best, as far as I'm concerned. Well, depending on the game. I love the Vice City soundtrack, but there's nothing on Liberty City Stories I like.

As far as music made specifically for the games goes, I'll take Final Fantasy (especially VI and VII).

ProfessorChaos
09-Oct-2007, 03:57 AM
i'd say yeah, as far as soundtracks go...there's really no original music on these games, but the music they include is always great. can't recall how many different artists/songs i've discovered thanks to rockstar.

and how about all those talk-radio programs and dj's? farking hilarious.:lol:

Danny
09-Oct-2007, 04:17 AM
that one in vice city witht eh presnter "amy" allways got me, with the likes of "thor" as guests:D

acealive1
09-Oct-2007, 05:26 AM
i'd say yeah, as far as soundtracks go...there's really no original music on these games

they made a whoel disc of original music for san andreas........ that lil song u hear when the game is loading is by dj pooh

ProfessorChaos
09-Oct-2007, 05:47 AM
they made a whoel disc of original music for san andreas........ that lil song u hear when the game is loading is by dj pooh

well, i was talking about the music on the radio stations. but yeah, i realize that the song that plays during the loading sequence is original...used to have it as a ringtone on my old phone.

Danny
09-Oct-2007, 05:53 AM
lol, i had the pheonix wright theme on mine:D

DeadJonas190
09-Oct-2007, 06:20 AM
I have Super Mario Bros. as a ringtone and then an orchestrated The Legend of Zelda theme that I made with a ringtone program.

As for GTA, yeah, they have really good soundtracks even though they are not original. I voted yes, but then was reminded of the Guitar Hero franchise by Hellsing and want to change my vote.

Danny
09-Oct-2007, 06:25 AM
my vote goes for guitar hero 2 in particular, its got something for everyone.

ProfessorChaos
09-Oct-2007, 06:42 AM
i think that the gta series outdoes the guitar hero series, especially when it comes to variety...look at all the stations on gta san andreas: master sounds, k-rose, radio los santos, etc.

as much as i enjoy the guitar hero games, they are mainly using rock songs, so that's where i see the flaw there. not that songs like paint it black, one, mother, and the likes you'll find on the gh series aren't amazing, but the gta series brings a lot more to the table.

acealive1
09-Oct-2007, 07:08 AM
well, i was talking about the music on the radio stations. but yeah, i realize that the song that plays during the loading sequence is original...used to have it as a ringtone on my old phone.

true,point taken. if ya put it like that then yea ur right.but thats why i dont like libert city stories. they tried to skimp on the songs,and no one bought the damn thing. they then realized the music was a great deal of the reason people bought the game

ProfessorChaos
09-Oct-2007, 07:46 AM
yeah, i had both lcs and vcs. but i ended up selling them both. i sold lcs because the music was terrible, and vcs was a pretty crappy story.

but i think the real reason i got rid of both of those games was because after pimpin, robbin, rompin, stompin, fightin, fu(kin, etc with cj and his abilities (climbing fences especially) it was just way to constricting to have to play as either of the bozo characters in either vcs or lcs. they both moved like they belonged in a gar flick....i mean, c'mon it's a four foot tall fence...jump the motherfu(ker!!!!

i realize that some of this is due to hardware limitations for the psp, but i really think rockstar could've made an attempt to bring some of the awesome features of gta san andreas to either lcs or vcs. both seemed like such a huge step backwards...

capncnut
09-Oct-2007, 08:46 AM
There ain't nothing like hijacking a truck that's playing Foghat's Slow Ride and then obliterating everything in your path. :D

MinionZombie
09-Oct-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't remember the soundtrack to GTA3 that much, some of it was okay, but Vice City had an AWESOME soundtrack, it was superb. San Andreas was a mix, some good, some bad - well, for my tastes anyway.

Yes, in terms of 'real world' music, GTA has it all sewn up, the likes of Saints Row can't compete because all the good songs have been snatched up, lol...poor buggers.

As for music composed specifically for a game, I really don't know...

acealive1
15-Oct-2007, 07:11 PM
WELL! GTA wins hands down for best soundtrack.

Tricky
16-Oct-2007, 05:14 PM
GTA3 had ace music,and witty chat as well,it was very much "of the time" in 2001 and made it all seem realistic!

"liberty city survivor!we take a handful of recently released convicts,equip them with grenade launchers & flamethrowers,and let them hunt each other down!"

"heeeeeead radio,im dj michael hunt,you can call me mike" :lol:

Oh yeah final fantasy 7 had an awesome soundtrack,the music in each area really added to the atmosphere whether it was sad,happy,scary or action.The entire game was an absolute masterpiece though :)

MinionZombie
16-Oct-2007, 05:49 PM
Chatterbox on GTA3 was brilliant, has to be said. I went and downloaded an MP3 recording of the entire thing. :D

Craig
17-Oct-2007, 05:30 PM
Always liked the music on San Andreas best, had some great songs to listen to for just cruising around the countryside or the desert.

I must agree Chatterbox was great though.

PS - does anyone know who did Personal Jesus for San Andreas? Was it Depeche Mode?

ProfessorChaos
17-Oct-2007, 06:38 PM
PS - does anyone know who did Personal Jesus for San Andreas? Was it Depeche Mode?

that's right. this song's also been done by johnny cash and marilyn manson. each covered the song individually, though...not a duet. although that'd be very interesting.

i wonder just how kick-a$$ the soundtrack to gta4 is gonna be....

MinionZombie
17-Oct-2007, 06:59 PM
Driving around to Lynard Skynard's "Free Bird" was awesome, hop in a convertible and out-run the law, "Devil's Rejects" style - or go up the big mountain, and flatten it (again, "Devil's Rejects" style, at that moment in the track) and take a speeding jump off the top using that plaque thing on the observation deck - have done that loads of times, much-much fun. :cool::)

Danny
17-Oct-2007, 07:03 PM
ooh, how delightfully white trash, my preffered one was riding a chopper through red country plwoing down rednecks to....well redneck style music ,YEEHAW!....im not sure what station it was but i think it had rush on *p-dang!*:cool:

MinionZombie
17-Oct-2007, 07:07 PM
hehe, I loved listening to that "all my ex's live in Texas" song whilst chuntering around in one of those hick pick up trucks around the country. :D

Danny
17-Oct-2007, 07:10 PM
ah man, we can act as posh as we want but the phrase "im a little bit country" applies to everyone, theres a littl ebit in every bloke that wants to wear flannel and trucker hats adn ride pick up trucks and whatnot, its like birds migrating north, its instinct, white trash instinct:lol:

bassman
17-Oct-2007, 07:12 PM
You guys are making me want to play San Andreas and head straight for the hillbilly towns with a rocket launcher....

Then again, I live in a hillbilly town, so it's something that I think about doing everyday.

MinionZombie
17-Oct-2007, 07:19 PM
I live in the country, near a town and a city, but it's all very green and rural around these areas, usually the smell of some breed of animal shiite wafting from the fields come crop season, conga lines of Polish workers trapesing back and forth from the local 'big farm' (as opposed to smaller farms, the big one is like a big fat business).

I immediately thought of the South Park episode after you said "I'm a l'il bit country", hellsing. :D

Danny
17-Oct-2007, 07:26 PM
ah another dude on the outskirts, you know that white trash blood stirs every time you hear the wurzles.

DRINK THY CID-AR! :lol:

ProfessorChaos
17-Oct-2007, 07:30 PM
I immediately thought of the South Park episode after you said "I'm a l'il bit country", hellsing. :D

the best part of that episode is when all the guys keep saying:

"if you don't care about america, you can GEEET OOOOUUUT!"

everytime i hear that i laugh my ass off.

as for gta san andreas, though, for me nothing beats driving around in the mountains in the pouring rain with the cops all over my as and eddie rabbit singing "i love a rainy night" on the radio. then that dj from krose....man she is funny as hell.:lol:

Danny
17-Oct-2007, 07:34 PM
i really hope IV finally allows you to do in game custom radio stations as well as just playing the songs on your 360, imagine going off a ramp over the river to dont fear the reaper or going on a drive by spree to run to the hills?, ah the possibilities...

bassman
17-Oct-2007, 07:41 PM
i really hope IV finally allows you to do in game custom radio stations as well as just playing the songs on your 360, imagine going off a ramp over the river to dont fear the reaper or going on a drive by spree to run to the hills?, ah the possibilities...

Or killing hicks in the hills while rocking out "The Sound of Music"?:shifty:

Danny
17-Oct-2007, 07:50 PM
oh just going round with a knife to the halloween theme:shifty:

-i am talking about in game, not giving any suggestions or owt.

acealive1
23-Oct-2007, 02:36 AM
You guys are making me want to play San Andreas and head straight for the hillbilly towns with a rocket launcher....

Then again, I live in a hillbilly town, so it's something that I think about doing everyday.

fly to the city by the woods and then paracheute and steal a car......you'll think its the 50's with all those cops chasing cj :lol: