PDA

View Full Version : The zombie survival guide

Danny
10-Oct-2007, 03:03 PM
just got around to finishing it and ive gotta say im not particularly impressed. Aside from the last section about "documented outbreaks" it was all pretty boring, and whats confusing is it was branded as a "comedy novel" on the back. how is this comedic in any way?, im guessing thats just becuase it was hard to categorise, well why not jsut call it fiction?!?
The outbreak record however was pretty good as fiction, ranging from 30,000bc to 2002, but man, i groaned when he did the roanoke cop-out, im surprised that davis aint fallen back to that on a dr who episode. so whilst its entertaining , its really not worth it, youll read it once and itll be a long time before you read it again, id stick with autumn or monster island instead.

AcesandEights
10-Oct-2007, 03:07 PM
Man, did I enjoy Monster Island...but that's another story.

I didn't mind the Zombie Survival Guide and I think it was comedic based solely on the 'kitsch' factor of the subject matter and the mock-seriousness in which it was addressed.

Tell me you read World War Z, Hellsing! It's worth it...and coming out in paperback soon.

Danny
10-Oct-2007, 03:09 PM
true, but theres nothing in there thats playe din a way to actually make you laugh, so it houldnt be seen as comedy if it takes itself seriously and doesnt try to make you laugh.
eh, its just me being picky i guess but still...

bassman
10-Oct-2007, 03:15 PM
I've heard so much about this book but never been interested enough to read it. Then again....I guess i'm not the average zombie fan..

Danny
10-Oct-2007, 03:19 PM
but if it were ghostbusters though, eh man?:D

bassman
10-Oct-2007, 03:36 PM
but if it were ghostbusters though, eh man?:D

Oh yeah....i've read everything pertaining to GB.:cool:

Yojimbo
10-Oct-2007, 04:09 PM
Though I did enjoy reading the guide (currently it sits next to the toilet giving me the option of doing something while I am sitting there -- hey, it's good for those short visits and also those longer ones too -- but as a stand alone, I don't think I will ever read it cover to cover again) I too was confused by it's classification as a comedy since, frankly, there are no comedic elements in the book other than the obvious fact that it is a "parody" of sorts of those old styled survival guides.

MinionZombie
10-Oct-2007, 07:11 PM
I figured it might not be the greatest read, being a guide and all, fake or not...but you know.

I am however currently reading "World War Z", page 70-something at the moment, and it's bloody good. :thumbsup::):cool:

clanglee
10-Oct-2007, 08:33 PM
I dunno, I could see it as a comedy. Parody being a form of comedy. But it is a loosely categorized book.

I loved the book tho'. Thought it was great!!

SRP76
11-Oct-2007, 12:32 AM
I enjoyed most of it. Also read WWZ, and prefer that, by a huge margin.

The only things I didn't like are the "virus theories" that are presented, and I also didn't like all the obviousness. "Be careful....stay alert....". Yeah, no sh*t, Sherlock. I really need a "guide" to tell me that!:lol: