PDA

View Full Version : First ever Mass Effect review (GameInformer)

CoinReturn
10-Oct-2007, 05:04 PM
The actual review isn't online, but the tidbits are as follows:

Some gems from the review (paraphrased):

"Best science fiction story since Star Wars, and best story in a video game, ever"

"They said they actually felt a strong sense of guilt when they yelled at one of their crewmen and she got all watery-eyed and teary"

"They said the combat and AI can be a little clumsy and overwhelming, besides that it's the second coming"

Final score: 9.75/10

Like I said, you don't have to believe me, but you can see for yourself when the review is out."

Some more details:

- Both the primary score and the second opinion are a 9.75.
- The review is, oddly, only a page long, despite being incredibly positive.
- The review is on page 151
- Some direct quotes:

"Concept: One of the greatest science fiction stories ever told, and a new benchmark for video game storytelling"

"Graphics: Every second of gameplay offers the visual quality you have come to expect from Final Fantasy cutscenes"

"Sound: One of the most memorable and unique soundtracks in gaming. It's inspired by '80's sci-fi, yet sounds like nothing you've heard before. The game also features an amazing ensemble of voice actors"

"Playability: Fun and functional, but something always seems to be amiss with the AI and Balancing"

"Entertainment: An expansive quest (18 to 30 hours) that toys with your emotions and keeps you engaged"

"Reply Value: High"

"Mass Effect shares a similar design to Bioware's previous work on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire. However, by comparison, both of these remarkable games now seem like test runs."
"The gameplay is certainly fun, and it controls admirably, but it doesn't live up to the large stage the story sets or the standards you've come to expect from action games and RPGs"
"You'll want more from it, but by no means does it hold the experience back, nor does it make you wish you were playing something else. In fact, I think you'll agree that Mass Effect is one of video games' greatest treatures."
"It sounds like a perfect game. And it comes damn near close. The one thing that might turn a few people off is the combat, which has a lot of little nuisances that take a while to get used to. When they all come together the action is breathtaking."
"Bioware's epic also has the richly detailed environment of Gears of War, the deep exploration of Oblivion, and a fictional universe almost as compelling as Star Wars"
"Characters convey realistic emotions, their lip-syncing is perfect to the point that they don't seem like CG creations, and they all have little quirks that you attribute to being alive"

Ho-lee ****. I was planning on buying this anyway, but dammit if it doesn't make the wait even harder to endure.

capncnut
10-Oct-2007, 08:11 PM
"They said they actually felt a strong sense of guilt when they yelled at one of their crewmen and she got all watery-eyed and teary"
Hehe, awesome man. :D

Will this run of unbelievably red hot games for the 360 ever let up? It's relentless... and EXPENSIVE!

Danny
10-Mar-2008, 05:25 PM
i got this along with army of two, assains creed and lsot oddesy t'uther day and i agree with most of that, except for one thing, its got teh steepest ****ing difficulty curve ive ever seen, im fighting that blue woman whos voiced by someone form star trek the next generation, im lvl 15 and keep getting my ass ahnded to me.:mad:

but why is it a good game?, becasue even in light off that i STILL keep going back to that, more than any other game like WoW or devil may cry 4 right now, its about 20 quid perowned now so check it out, its basically oblivion meets KOTOR.

CoinReturn
10-Mar-2008, 05:41 PM
You know, after playing both, I prefer Lost Odyssey over Mass Effect. I think the latter got very repetitive near the end. I really dug Lost Odyssey's art style, story, and combat system, even if all 3 are very, very traditional.

p2501
11-Mar-2008, 12:47 AM
i got this along with army of two, assains creed and lsot oddesy t'uther day and i agree with most of that, except for one thing, its got teh steepest ****ing difficulty curve ive ever seen, im fighting that blue woman whos voiced by someone form star trek the next generation, im lvl 15 and keep getting my ass ahnded to me.:mad:

but why is it a good game?, becasue even in light off that i STILL keep going back to that, more than any other game like WoW or devil may cry 4 right now, its about 20 quid perowned now so check it out, its basically oblivion meets KOTOR.
fight her from a distance with the AR and you should be ok.

I grabbed the ME download content pack that dropped today. it's absolutely worth it.

Danny
11-Mar-2008, 07:27 AM
I beat the bitch and did a few more hours and got up to lvl25, and got a full party finally.
Its good, like finding a ship drifting full of zombie "medical test subjects" as you track down a pyscho organ dealing surgeon.
the main quest *does the unviersal meh gesture*
but overall im enjoying it, im having trouble gettign into lost oddessy, but its got a real vibe of final fantasy 8, so much so kutachini probably saw it as "microsoft to sony: **** you" :lol:, they couldnt lable it final fantasy so the called it lost oddessy instead, it happened with a few other rpg series as well like legend of mana or shadow hearts, so id expect this to become a series if its good.
but like i says i gotta get more into it.