PDA

View Full Version : UK Trilogy of the dead owners

Andy
12-Oct-2007, 10:05 PM
Ok so i bought the trilogy of the dead boxset a long time ago, i mean years ago, when it first came out, mine is a first edition boxset.

Now in case you dont know, the first edition boxsets are very rare now and considered collectable, not only becuase the trilogy of the dead boxset is now out of production but becuase the first edition had a famous misprint on the box, where it got the picture for dawn of the dead and the picture for day of the dead ass about face.

Now my question is aimed here at fellow owners of the first edition of the boxset, with that misprint on it.. mine is a VERY first edition, i can remember pre-ordering it and getting it on day of release, but when it arrived, it had a silver dawn disk in it and not the same diskprint as the rest, im not kidding, check out my pics that is honestly how it came, now my question is, do any of the rest of you own a first edition boxset with a similar dawn disk, which would indicate the dawn disk print was not ready but they needed to get it out so made a dodgy very first edition, which makes it more collectable, or am i alone in this error due to some factory cock up making my boxset worthless and me, very very angry.

I was debating this with capn the other night and we just cant agree so check out my pics to see exactly what i mean and any helpful comments would be much appreciated.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/images/andy/trilogy/Hpim0439.jpg
The boxset in question.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/images/andy/trilogy/Hpim0441.jpg
The Famous Misprint.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/images/andy/trilogy/Hpim0442.jpg
My four disks.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/images/andy/trilogy/Hpim0443.jpg
Night and Dawn (notice how dawn is silver)

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/images/andy/trilogy/Hpim0444.jpg
Day and Special Features Disk.

AcesandEights
12-Oct-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't understand the question, but Capn's wrong :p

Andy
12-Oct-2007, 10:27 PM
The question is simple, is there anyone else out there, in the uk, who owns the same trilogy of the dead boxset WITH a silver dawn of the dead disk?

i hope capn is wrong, i really do :p

MinionZombie
12-Oct-2007, 11:00 PM
I hate to be that annoying "reply but no answer" guy, but dude ... look at you and your bony fingers, you a zombie or something? :p:D ... do I win a prize for that, I discovered your secret! :elol:

I don't own that boxset, isn't that the one where there's something other that's wrong with it, Dawn is cut or something...I remember there being something gash about that box set so I never got it, instead I've got all four on Region 1, the best discs for all over them - including the awesome Ultimate Dawn DVD, a must-have.

I'll go be annoying somewhere else, I'm tired and I've still got to change my bloody bed sheets before I get to crawl in there, grrrr...this is why I need a Maid! :D

Andy
12-Oct-2007, 11:20 PM
.. shame doctors cant do anything for bed wetting :p

i also own many other versions of all 3 films, but this boxset is collectable, especially the first editions :p

also leave my bony fingers alone :shifty:

MinionZombie
13-Oct-2007, 10:41 AM
I know, a shame isn't it Andy ... but never fear, you just put a plastic sheet down under your bed sheets, don't drink anything for 3 hours before you go to sleep and you'll be fine. :p:lol:

How much you going to flog it for when you eventually do? Not that I'm interested, my Region 1 collection is perfect thank you very much. :D

capncnut
13-Oct-2007, 12:51 PM
Okay, here's my side of the argument. The two discs presented below.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/images/andy/trilogy/Hpim0443.jpg
The silver disc in question belongs to the UK edition of...

http://www.lovefilm.com/lovefilm/images/products/9/1549-large.jpg

...the director's cut. If you look carefully, even the title fonts match. Also, it was released on BMG label and the logo can just about be seen to the left under the centre hole of the disc. Now whether Anchor Bay had a shortage of discs and replaced them accordingly (which I highly doubt), or whether there was a boo-boo at the factory, I don't know. But the discs are supposed to match the background picture.

I personally think someone at the factory was playing silly buggers. If so, that's a damn shame.

Erm, I think you'll find I'm correct this time. :rolleyes:

kidgloves
13-Oct-2007, 02:11 PM
Capncnut is correct Andy im afraid. I've got both editions.

Andy
13-Oct-2007, 05:36 PM
Bah im robbed of a collectable........... unless i can get another one.. :shifty:

CornishCorpse
13-Oct-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah I had the silver disk, not sure why though? and the famous mis print although didnt know it had any importance today, collectable? gah if it was any other dvd set then itd be an instant ebay.

Andy
13-Oct-2007, 07:38 PM
Yeah I had the silver disk, not sure why though? and the famous mis print although didnt know it had any importance today, collectable? gah if it was any other dvd set then itd be an instant ebay.
THANKYOU! thankyou so much, you dont know how much reading that made my day man!

so there are other boxsets out there with the silver disk in!

capncnut
13-Oct-2007, 10:34 PM
So if I put my silver disc in with the trilogy box set, I got a collectable?

kidgloves
14-Oct-2007, 09:16 AM
Mmmm. Just what i was thinking

capncnut
14-Oct-2007, 11:05 AM
Now, my previous quote was left sarcastically, and the fact that folks (including me) are now "Mmmm, should I switch discs" proves how unlikely these 'errors' are to be considered collectable. It's a full blown mis-match, not a misprint. In fact, you'll pretty much find that a buyer will return the boxset, even though the silver disc was legitimately placed in the tray.

I still think it's a factory workers idea of a joke. It's unfortunate that more than one person has now been affected by this.

Andy
14-Oct-2007, 05:00 PM
Now, my previous quote was left sarcastically, and the fact that folks (including me) are now "Mmmm, should I switch discs" proves how unlikely these 'errors' are to be considered collectable. It's a full blown mis-match, not a misprint. In fact, you'll pretty much find that a buyer will return the boxset, even though the silver disc was legitimately placed in the tray.

I still think it's a factory workers idea of a joke. It's unfortunate that more than one person has now been affected by this.
and what if its not 2 or 3 people but a whole batch?

capncnut
14-Oct-2007, 08:29 PM
and what if its not 2 or 3 people but a whole batch?
Right, just had an examination of the text that you find marked around the inside centre hole and both discs (Trilogy and BMG versions) have exactly the same markings. It's seems possible they are ordered from BMG and the new outer picture is just applied to the disc. This leads me to believe that some left the plant without the correct 'stamp' so to speak. I could be wrong but that's what it seems like to me.

Whether this makes them more collectable or not I'm not sure because anyone could just slot a BMG disc in there and claim it to be the real thing. Even if 100 people had the silver discs, it could just be pure sloppiness and given the fact that they made the infamous cover error, it hardly seems surprising. Unless Anchor Bay have catalogued every single copy that has left the factory (I'm not up on these things so I really don't know) and can verify their existence, by number or whatever, then... <shrugs>

Anchor Bay have a lot to explain with this one all round. :rockbrow:

Andy
14-Oct-2007, 09:59 PM
my 4 disks are numbered, but unfortunatly the silver disk is numbered differently to the other 3.

As for collectable i dont know becuase like you guys say, any idiot can just get a BMG version and stick it in and i doubt there is a way to prove otherwise.

I Do honestly feel so robbed, without the silver disk the box with the misprint is a collectable now, so guys who own them, hang on to them.

capncnut
14-Oct-2007, 10:20 PM
Go to GameStation. I went in there about a year ago and saw three GAR Trilogy box sets in a row.

Danny
15-Oct-2007, 09:40 PM
mines got all 4 discs making up the picture on the inner box art behind it, dont know abotu the picture glitch on the back though, i havent checked in a while, ill give it a look later.

LivingDeadBeat
18-Oct-2007, 05:51 PM
It seems that the 'Director's Cut' comes with the Trilogy of the Dead anyway. I own the 'Director's Cut' version which is the disc you own. It seems that the only difference is the print on the disc because both versions seem to be exactly the same with the Savini commentary.

MinionZombie
18-Oct-2007, 08:05 PM
Now by "director's cut" you mean the mis-labeled Director's Cut yeah?

In the UK it was called the dir cut but it was actually the extended "Cannes Cut". GAR still considers the theatrical version his director's cut...god I'm such a nerd. I've still got the SFX magazine interview article with GAR when Dawn: Extended ("Dir Cut") where GAR himself said that very stuff. :D

LivingDeadBeat
18-Oct-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah I mean the mis-labeled one, hence the apostrophes :) I was looking at the German version for a while then realised I can't speak German.

Danny
05-Nov-2007, 11:54 PM
mines got all 4 discs making up the picture on the inner box art behind it, dont know abotu the picture glitch on the back though, i havent checked in a while, ill give it a look later.

i looked it up out of my almost power of greyskull sized collection, and yes ive got the one with the missprint, shame i bought it from pc world in bad condition or this would be a decent collectors item.
but eyah it shows logan over a corpse for dawn and flyboy zombie stepping out the elevator for day.

capncnut
06-Nov-2007, 01:49 AM
i looked it up out of my almost power of greyskull sized collection, and yes ive got the one with the missprint, shame i bought it from pc world in bad condition or this would be a decent collectors item.
but eyah it shows logan over a corpse for dawn and flyboy zombie stepping out the elevator for day.
Also it has the censored director's cut of Dawn (which was later rectified along with the missprint) so yeah, it might be a collectors item in years to come.

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2007, 10:20 AM
Censored extended edition you mean? In the UK the extended version was called the director's cut, but GAR said that his director's cut is the US theatrical cut.

Indeed, I've got it on video and it's cut by 6 seconds, but my Ultimate Edition DVD is uncut, bitch. :sneaky::):cool:

Andy
06-Nov-2007, 12:47 PM
Censored extended edition you mean? In the UK the extended version was called the director's cut, but GAR said that his director's cut is the US theatrical cut.

Indeed, I've got it on video and it's cut by 6 seconds, but my Ultimate Edition DVD is uncut, bitch. :sneaky::):cool:
i own the trilogy cut, with 6 seconds missing, a seperate dawn DVD with the same commentry but the 6 seconds back in, another dawn DVD with cast+crew+GAR commentry, another dawn DVD which is the european cut and ive just ordered the ultimate edition boxset too (it has some features i havn't seen).

Oh yeah, i also own 2 seperate rare 156min cuts, one in german and one in english.

I Also own the original 1979 novelisation.

Beat that for a dawn collection :p

capncnut
06-Nov-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah I got about 5 different Dawn discs and I have the 'Extuhndud' version uncut.

I would own that Trilogy box but I have all the solo discs and they have exactly what the Trilogy box has on 'em. Plus I have The Dead Will Walk on another Dawn disc and Document of the Dead as it's own solo disc. What I'm trying to say is that I'm not coughing up a score for a fancy box and Ken Foree walking around Monroeville Mall for 10 mins. :D

Oh and as I got Creepshow today, I found a BITCHIN' Martin 2 discer that is different to the recent re-release. Thanks for (not) telling me about it. :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2007, 04:03 PM
Got a link to this new 2 disc of Martin?

I take it it isn't the one with about 300mb of data on the second disc? :lol:

capncnut
06-Nov-2007, 07:25 PM
I take it it isn't the one with about 300mb of data on the second disc? :lol:
No I do believe it's the same one: has commentary, 30 minute documentary, notes, trailers, foreign trailers, tv spots, bios, galleries, whatnot (which I didn't bother with in the first place). This one however, has a different 'bumpy' cover with Amplas on the front instead of that s**ty red cover one. Probably one of those HMV 'special' type things but for £7.99, I'm happy as Larry.

Oh and the new 2 disc Creepshow package is proper s**t hot mate. :cool:

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm definitely gonna have to 'double up' and get that Creepshow doovde when it's cheaper, already got it on region 1 you see.

aga
06-Nov-2007, 09:09 PM
A printing mistake really makes this collectible? Compared to the DVDs that have come out since the box itself is pretty crap, isn't Night the 30th version?

I didn't realise BMG re-released the Dawn disc uncut. I'm pretty sure I have the cut version though, is it pretty obvious? Not really bothered, only kept it for the commentary.

Andy
06-Nov-2007, 11:41 PM
A printing mistake really makes this collectible? Compared to the DVDs that have come out since the box itself is pretty crap, isn't Night the 30th version?

I didn't realise BMG re-released the Dawn disc uncut. I'm pretty sure I have the cut version though, is it pretty obvious? Not really bothered, only kept it for the commentary.

Yeah night is the 30th version, and yes it is a pityful boxset with few, if any, redeeming features.

However a misprinted DVD, especially one which is pulled out of circlation as quickly as this one was, will always gain value.

capncnut
07-Nov-2007, 06:37 AM
It'll be a collector's item that nobody in particular will want to add to their collection. :D