PDA

View Full Version : Chud Review of Diary of the Dead

Geophyrd
14-Oct-2007, 12:10 PM
I don't know how many people read CHUD (Cinematic Happening Under Development AKA Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller) but its a really good movie site. Devin Faraci is the principal author and I've found myself in agreement with his movie reviews ALOT more often than not. That's almost completely opposite the normal situation I find with critics. (except Ebert...he and I almost always agree). Devin's take is not a positive one. Remember that he says explicitly that Dawn of the Dead may be his favorite all time movie, but here's his spin (http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=reviews&id=12145)on Diary. Man, I'm so sorry to hear.

MinionZombie
14-Oct-2007, 01:34 PM
To be honest, I'm waiting till I see it for myself.

And I think the whole "blair witch zombie movie" created certain expectations for some folk, but I'm glad it's not going to be all POV stuff - besides we already have a good zed flick like that - "The Zombie Diaries".

I have a feeling that GAR always intended it to be a film with both feet in different waters, a mix of "movie-movie" and "POV", which I like the idea of. But I think GAR kinda simplified the idea of it to such a bitesize morsel that it can (and probably has been) misread.

Anyway, as I said, I'm waiting to see it for myself...people need to stop expecting stuff from movies before they go and see them, you can be looking forward to something, but never expect certain things - that was a main problem with Land, people who hated it expected something else, while those who liked it were just excited to see it and weren't expecting anything.

The same tact should be employed with Diary I say, it's what I'll be doing anyway.

Trencher
14-Oct-2007, 05:30 PM
I think this reviewer do not realize that the reason why Romero chose film students to show the "democratization of information" is so that he has an explanation for why the film is of such good quality.

MinionZombie
14-Oct-2007, 05:39 PM
I think this reviewer do not realize that the reason why Romero chose film students to show the "democratization of information" is so that he has an explanation for why the film is of such good quality.
Aye I think that's gonna be part of it, but of course if there's movie-movie type camera work in it (i.e. the invisible eye) then that isn't 'at the hand of the protagonists' but 'at the hand of Romero'.

But yeah indeed, rather than just 'anybody' wielding the cameras in the film, by using film students then you can have better looking stuff, because looking at footage shot by someone who's barely held a camera, to someone who's learning the craft, is completely different...even people who've used a camera a bit are way behind people who've learned/are learning the craft.

So rather than have 'panicky pete' camerawork again (not that it's wrong to have that), then he goes for something looking better, grabbing more images for the full gag to be revealed, or for the money shots to be exposed, rather than skimming over it.

And anyway, we've had films that look like that before, so it'd be nice to have something different - as well as something that rests between movie-movie and POV-movie (and by the sounds of things, possibly in more than one respect? There were photos from the set showing a fancy camera rig set-up, on a dolly or something, which would suggest Romero-POV camerawork to along with the protagonist's-POV camerawork...if that makes sense?)

Dead Hoosier
14-Oct-2007, 09:22 PM
I respect anyone whose favorite film all-time is Dawn of the Dead...because it's mine too. Not to mention this guys sounds like he knows his ****. I hope it's not that bad, but without seeing it, he has confirmed my worst fears going in.
I thought the acting would probably be suspect, and it appears GAR has even amplified his "message" to levels that I hoped wouldn't exceed Land in it's sledgehammer-type nature. I'll judge it for myself, but it doesn't sound good. Probably another flick everyone would bash if it didn't come from GAR.

sirjacktorrance
14-Oct-2007, 10:02 PM
i think the very opposite to that.if land or diary have been directed by another.everyone would aplaud it.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Oct-2007, 01:23 AM
I think people should stop dismissing the review. I see people trying to justify the reviewers remarks, just because it is Romero directed zombie film. I wouldn't go on trying to prise something none of us has seen yet, the best thing to do is take the review with a grain of salt, then make up your own mind when the film is released in theaters.

vill666
15-Oct-2007, 03:04 AM
i'll go see it no matter what

AcesandEights
15-Oct-2007, 03:06 AM
I'll be back with comments several months from now when I get to see the movie. :skull:

DubiousComforts
15-Oct-2007, 07:56 AM
I'll be back with comments several months from now when I get to see the movie. :skull:
Why exactly are any of these web sites bothering to review Diary when it won't see release for months? Seems like an obvious case of oneupmanship.

MinionZombie
15-Oct-2007, 09:49 AM
Why exactly are any of these web sites bothering to review Diary when it won't see release for months? Seems like an obvious case of oneupmanship.
As well as cock-mc-teasery. :mad:

Basically, all people need to do is not expect anything and when you do get to see it, just go in fresh with no assumptions, presumptions or expectations - which is why some people didn't like Land, as I've said before.

The pre-views/reviews have been mixed, some love it, some hate it, some are a bit "meh" about it ... well I already know where I'll be slotting in, I know I'll love it because:

1) I have faith in it
2) My interest hasn't been rabid from the off, I grew into liking it after initially being a bit "hmmmm..." about the concept
3) I'm not expecting anything and reading as few reviews as possible (even then I skimmed this review posted here)

It's simple - to enjoy Diary, go in fresh & don't expect anything...expectation kills any film no matter how good or bad...expectation is the devil's play thing. :eek:

*runs off, pointing fingers in people's faces, with a wild-crazed-look in his eyes, shouting the same line* WARRRRGHHHH!!!!!