PDA

View Full Version : Update the Dead Films

SRP76
16-Oct-2007, 08:03 PM
Much argument has been made of the "timeline"/"when did it happen" of Romero's Dead films.

I have always gone on the assumption that all 4 films happen right now, as in, within a few years of each other, in the present day.

Thinking about this, you have to stretch your disbelief a bit, and discount the "dated" items in each film.

I thought about it, and it isn't as bad as you might think. Here is the list of everything that would have to be "updated", to make the films fit today:

Night:

1. Ben's truck. It would have to be replaced with a modern truck.

2. Johnny's car: Maybe. We could actually leave it as-is. Some people drive "Classic", or antique cars. Johnny could just be one of these car buffs.

3. The radio: Make it a modern rack stereo system.

4. The television: again, just a newer, 27-inch color set. Doesn't have to be a plasma tv, or anything elaborate.

5. The calendar on the diningroom wall: change it from "December 1966" to "December 2006", or something.

Dawn:

1. The car: The one used to lock the doors; make it a new car.

2. The highschool football schedule in the office: change it from "197*" (the last digit is blurred out), to "2007".

Day and Land:

- Not a thing. They're good to go, as-is.

Just 7 items, over the course of 4 films, to completely update them to "today".

Anyone think of something I may have missed?

capncnut
16-Oct-2007, 08:41 PM
Dawn:

1. The car: The one used to lock the doors; make it a new car.

2. The highschool football schedule in the office: change it from "197*" (the last digit is blurred out), to "2007".
3. Remove all evidence of flaired jeans from the zombies clothing. :D

SRP76
16-Oct-2007, 08:50 PM
3. Remove all evidence of flaired jeans from the zombies clothing. :D

I see hundreds of people today (especially teens) dressed in those.

I did remember a couple more things about Dawn, though:

1. The "new" tv they get: replace with a digital model (no dial).

2. The turntable: replace with a CD player.

MikePizzoff
16-Oct-2007, 09:16 PM
I feel Dawn is far too extensive to even bother creating this type of list for. Just about EVERYTHING in the movie would have to be touched up to meet modern times. It was pretty contemporary.

EDIT: "...looks like a shopping center... one of those big indoor malls..."

acealive1
16-Oct-2007, 09:25 PM
hmm u got a great point. i'd like to see a true dawn remake.

jim102016
16-Oct-2007, 09:26 PM
Yeah, someone could lose their marbles fast by trying to count the sheer number of "update-ables" in the original Dawn'.

Thinking about cell phones and the like, Peter and Roger sure wouldn't have to lug those huge walkie-talkies around with them today. They certainly wouldn't find hard liquor in the mall, nor would they be allowed to smoke!
Ah, the good ole' days.....

To hell with another Dawn remake, I want to see Romero's original Day' script made into a movie!

SRP76
16-Oct-2007, 09:45 PM
It's not a matter of what could be updated, it's a matter of what would have to be updated.

Walkie-talkies certainly aren't extinct, by any stretch of the imagination. Neither are any of the things used in the film. All the things they had, you will still find in a shopping mall today (well, everything except useful stores, that is. My local mall is pretty worthless: just clothing and jewelry).

Actually, that reminds me of another idea...

capncnut
16-Oct-2007, 09:58 PM
With that said, you would have to remove most of the shop titles as a lot of those businesses don't exist today.

jim102016
16-Oct-2007, 11:26 PM
It's not a matter of what could be updated, it's a matter of what would have to be updated.

Walkie-talkies certainly aren't extinct, by any stretch of the imagination. Neither are any of the things used in the film. All the things they had, you will still find in a shopping mall today (well, everything except useful stores, that is. My local mall is pretty worthless: just clothing and jewelry).

Actually, that reminds me of another idea...

The walkie-talkie is far from extinct.....but they've been revolutionized! If you're going to replace Ben's truck, the little black and white tv Dawn, etc. you should replace the ten pound walkie-talkies with ones that can fit in the front pocket of their SWAT uniform!

DubiousComforts
16-Oct-2007, 11:51 PM
No way that you could realistically pull off a modern zombie/crisis film without the Internet.

There would be no need for radio and TV broadcasts listing rescue stations. As long as there was electricity, the masses would be accessing the Internet, and getting all of their information online. It's just like that ex-military guy that posted a blog from New Orleans while he waited out Katrina at his place of business.

Unfortunately, there would also be tons of undead Jackass-style videos on You Tube, and probably more than a few tasteless Ebay auctions.

acealive1
17-Oct-2007, 12:11 AM
you're a bit wrong. u know in a time of crisis that the government might shut off the net to "conserve power". crazy but it seems logical

Dawg
17-Oct-2007, 01:04 AM
Yep, cell phones and the Internet may not be operating if this did happen, for a number of reasons.

If there is nobody around to man power plants, even Nuclear power plants, you won't have electric.

Everything will need maintained at some point, cell towers, computer servers, etc, and many are out of state from where you may be.

As for 'updating', Ben's truck could still be an old rambler that a farmer still used and there are still people with black and white tvs believe it or not.

:dead:Dawg

acealive1
17-Oct-2007, 01:34 AM
Yep, cell phones and the Internet may not be operating if this did happen, for a number of reasons.

If there is nobody around to man power plants, even Nuclear power plants, you won't have electric.

Everything will need maintained at some point, cell towers, computer servers, etc, and many are out of state from where you may be.

As for 'updating', Ben's truck could still be an old rambler that a farmer still used and there are still people with black and white tvs believe it or not.

:dead:Dawg

have mercy on me if somethin like this ever happens as i live like 30 miles from Davis-Besse (power plant that owns at least 2 of the 5 worst power plant disasters)

the last thing we need is another "bub" trying to expose fuel rods.

u should know what i mean by davis besse though

jim102016
17-Oct-2007, 04:34 AM
No way that you could realistically pull off a modern zombie/crisis film without the Internet.

There would be no need for radio and TV broadcasts listing rescue stations. As long as there was electricity, the masses would be accessing the Internet, and getting all of their information online. It's just like that ex-military guy that posted a blog from New Orleans while he waited out Katrina at his place of business.

Unfortunately, there would also be tons of undead Jackass-style videos on You Tube, and probably more than a few tasteless Ebay auctions.

Was this guy writing while the storm was in progress....was he able to write after it was over and done with and the destruction had set in?

I think the internet would be up for a while in a dead crisis, as would cell phones, until the people who keep the wheels turning drop by the wayside.

DubiousComforts
17-Oct-2007, 05:43 AM
Was this guy writing while the storm was in progress....was he able to write after it was over and done with and the destruction had set in?
He is ex-Special Forces, worked for an IT company at the time and posted before, after and during the storm. Some info is available here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdictor_(blog)). They used a generator to keep their servers running after power was knocked out.

The blog still exists if anyone cares to sift two years backwards through the postings (Interdictor's journal (http://mgno.com/)). I read it during the aftermath of Katrina and the photos that he posted were unbelievable.

I think the internet would be up for a while in a dead crisis, as would cell phones, until the people who keep the wheels turning drop by the wayside.
The power was still on in the first two DEAD films, even after civil defense broadcasts fell by the wayside. As long as there was power somewhere, people would be using the Internet and cell phones to establish communications with other pockets of the "living."

acealive1
17-Oct-2007, 06:15 AM

yea then we'd have zombie cops saying "send more cops" on the CB :lol:

Philly_SWAT
17-Oct-2007, 01:22 PM
Much argument has been made of the "timeline"/"when did it happen" of Romero's Dead films.

I have always gone on the assumption that all 4 films happen right now, as in, within a few years of each other, in the present day.
Well, that is a very good assumption, seeing is that is how they are presented.

Thinking about this, you have to stretch your disbelief a bit, and discount the "dated" items in each film.

The thing that is very funny about the concept of "dated" items stretching the suspension of disbelief as to the films happening "now" is that no one ever mentions the suspension of disbelief that the dead are coming back to life and want to eat the living. If you can accept that concept and enjoy the films, how is it harder to ignore the dated items? As has been mentioned, you can still find many of those dated items still today, but I have yet to see a zed feasting on brains.....

jim102016
18-Oct-2007, 03:52 AM
He is ex-Special Forces, worked for an IT company at the time and posted before, after and during the storm. Some info is available here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdictor_(blog)). They used a generator to keep their servers running after power was knocked out.

The blog still exists if anyone cares to sift two years backwards through the postings (Interdictor's journal (http://mgno.com/)). I read it during the aftermath of Katrina and the photos that he posted were unbelievable.

The power was still on in the first two DEAD films, even after civil defense broadcasts fell by the wayside. As long as there was power somewhere, people would be using the Internet and cell phones to establish communications with other pockets of the "living."

In the first two movies, not that much time went by. The outbreak was contained in (or so it appeared) in Night. In Dawn, going by the size of Fran's stomach, it had been only a few months.

That brings up another point, how long can power stations (speficially nuclear) function on their own? Comparing today's technology to the 1970s, how long can a power source continue to run idle after its human maintainers are gone?

Any experts on this matter here?

Doc
14-Nov-2007, 11:59 AM
Ehh....Why not maybe George should do a little digital magic with all his films and re-release them with technology appropriate to today. I see no reason why Ben in the original NOTLD can't have an I-Pod and a Blackberry.:lol: