PDA

View Full Version : Could You Do Dawn?

SRP76
16-Oct-2007, 10:02 PM
By this, I mean, given your local mall, could you duplicate what our heroes did?

The mall in Dawn had everything the heroes could possibly need, from televisions to lumber to weaponry.

Now, what could you do with the "modern" mall in your area?

My local mall here in Gainesville is The Oaks Mall. TOTALLY worthless! Here's the lowdown:

Sure, they have about 300 stores...but they are all crap.

There is a J.C. Penney, but not like the one 30 years ago; this one has clothing, and...well, clothing.

A Macy's...see: J.C. Penney.

A Sears. Now, this is useful. You can at least scarf tools from here.

A huge chunk of the mall is nothing but restaurants. Plenty of food, but nothing else.

A whole bunch of jewelry shops. These would do about as much good as a screendoor on a submarine.

A few videogame/media stores, like F.Y.E. Tons of DVDs and games, but not useful.

The entire rest of the mall is clothing stores. Everything from $600 pants, to LeBron James jerseys. That's it.

.......and they have nothing else. Not so much as a sporting goods store. You won't even find so much as a freakin' baseball bat, in the whole place!

So, if I tried to hole up there, I'd be dead in minutes.

How about you guys? Are your malls more useful (they can't be any less, that's for sure)?

wyvern1096
16-Oct-2007, 11:24 PM
The local mall at least has a tobacco shop. Otherwise I'd be shooting and searching zombies for a pack of Basics...

jim102016
16-Oct-2007, 11:31 PM
Hell no, haven't been in any mall which I could use to pull off similar activities. Even though wasn't really a gun store in the Monroeville Mall at the time of the filming, I'd wonder if there's one in a mall anywhere in the states. Maybe in Alaska.

How could you safely kill off all the dead once you lock the place down? Going to run around the mall with a crow bar or some other blunt object like in 28 Days or Shaun? Too damn risky.

DubiousComforts
16-Oct-2007, 11:40 PM
Hell no, haven't been in any mall which I could use to pull off similar activities. Even though wasn't really a gun store in the Monroeville Mall at the time of the filming, I'd wonder if there's one in a mall anywhere in the states. Maybe in Alaska.
I doubt a modern shopping mall would do the trick. Your best bet would be to hole up at the local Wal-Mart. Less entrances to protect and lots of places to hide. Doesn't Wally World retail firearms in many states?

Skippy911sc
17-Oct-2007, 01:50 AM
My local would be a SUPER walmart...

They used to have firearms but have since discontinued those...however they still stock the ammo...

Food...

Tools...

Ammo...

TVs...

Video games...

Generators...

DVDs...

All a grown man could want...oh I forgot TOYS...Yippee!!!

acealive1
17-Oct-2007, 02:05 AM
i could survive,especially in this lil rinky dink city. theres a handful of exits in the place and none are big enough to drive a car through without a ton of work.

most exits could be blocked with a single sheet of plywood

My local would be a SUPER walmart...

They used to have firearms but have since discontinued those...however they still stock the ammo...

Food...

Tools...

Ammo...

TVs...

Video games...

Generators...

DVDs...

All a grown man could want...oh I forgot TOYS...Yippee!!!

dont they still have bow and arrows? JACKPOT!:evil:

The local mall at least has a tobacco shop. Otherwise I'd be shooting and searching zombies for a pack of Basics...

that'd be hilarious *shoots zombie in the head and with smoking gun still in hand starts cautiously patting down zombie for cigs and still looking around at the same time*

SRP76
17-Oct-2007, 02:10 AM
My mall doesn't even have bows! Count yourselves lucky.:D

Now, if - if - I were allowed to use the entire "commercial zone" around the mall itself, I might be okay.

I could use the Sports Authority diagonally across the street, to get weaponry.

But the mall itself is a deathtrap.

ProfessorChaos
17-Oct-2007, 02:46 AM
i've recently relocated for school and haven't been to the local mall all that much yet...it's st. clair square, right off i-64 near st. louis...very heavily populated area, so there'd be LOTS of living dead infestation.

as i've said, i've only been a couple of times, but from what i saw, the entrances would be almost impossible to block the same way they did in dawn.

next time i go i'll have to pay more attention...i just glanced at the entrances as i was walking in and thought that it'd be a bitch to block them from a living dead onslaught.

jim102016
17-Oct-2007, 04:30 AM
i could survive,especially in this lil rinky dink city. theres a handful of exits in the place and none are big enough to drive a car through without a ton of work.

most exits could be blocked with a single sheet of plywood

dont they still have bow and arrows? JACKPOT!:evil:

that'd be hilarious *shoots zombie in the head and with smoking gun still in hand starts cautiously patting down zombie for cigs and still looking around at the same time*

Plywood? How would it stand up to the weight from hundreds (if not more) of bodies pressed up against it?

SRP76
17-Oct-2007, 04:40 AM
Plywood? How would it stand up to the weight from hundreds (if not more) of bodies pressed up against it?

Heh...it supposedly worked for the outer perimeter in Land.:lol:

That was another moment where I almost screamed at the screen, seeing just a sheet of plywood separating the "shooting range" from the dead world outside.

I thought of something else:

I once took a walk around my local mall, and counted the doors and display windows.

Over 120 of them!!:eek:

There's no way - NO way - that place could be secured. Even if you had a four-man team, and no interruptions, in the real world, it would take you a week to block up all the entry points.

EvilFlyingCow
17-Oct-2007, 05:28 AM
I doubt a modern shopping mall would do the trick. Your best bet would be to hole up at the local Wal-Mart. Less entrances to protect and lots of places to hide. Doesn't Wally World retail firearms in many states?

There's a new zombie novel coming out this Halloween about a group of people who hole up in a Wal-Mart. If you like to read and you get a chance to check it out, here's the site:

http://www.eveofthedead.com

acealive1
17-Oct-2007, 06:18 AM

the openings are narrow at best, i'll take pics next time im at that fire trap of a mall. they have motion doors,so cover those two door and nail em shut and voila. strength is best when pushing or pulling,not sliding to the side so they'd be screwed trying to get in.

and the door are also like 9 feet high......kinda hard to move em if u cut the power to em.

Danny
17-Oct-2007, 09:57 AM
my local mall actually has another one on the other side of the road, its shaped like an + so you can see in almost every direction at the cnetre on the sceond floor, theres survival stores, books adn game stores, i think theres a gun store but its out fo the way since they arent to popular round here (the yobs prefer lucozade bottles full of rocks, its cheaper) theres a supermarket, electronics stores, a gadget store, a few for mobile phones and clothes and the doors would be pretty easy to barricade as there are these little market tram type stalls in the centre that you could manouver to the edges, plus pile some manekins on the escalator and get a collapsible chain ladder form the survival store and the smaller 2nd floor is yours with only one exit, to car park for quick escape.

JohnoftheDead
17-Oct-2007, 01:13 PM
The WalMart in my town still carries firearms, damn I must live in a redneck town. The WalMart is also a bit removed from the town so it would be quite ideal. It really wouldn't matter if it didn't still have firearms though since there are 2 gunstores on the way from my house to the WalMart so a quick stop on the way would arm me quite nicely. From there it would be nothing but plasmas & pizza rolls til the end of days! Oh yeah & has anyone around here ever tried punching through a sheet of 3/4" plywood? It certainly isn't possible unless if you're Mr. Miyagi or something, although by the time Land happened I would assume the Zeds could bust out a cordless drill & unscrew the plywood & let themselves in. :)

ProfessorChaos
17-Oct-2007, 07:00 PM
...although by the time Land happened I would assume the Zeds could bust out a cordless drill & unscrew the plywood & let themselves in. :)

:lol::lol:and all it would take is big daddy pointing at the wall and going "RRRAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH".:rolleyes::lol::lol:

gglanning
17-Oct-2007, 07:09 PM
Since I live about 10 miles from Monroeville. I guess that would be my mall.

Danny
17-Oct-2007, 07:17 PM
nooooiiyccce!

-but how many others in the area would think the same way?:sneaky:

DubiousComforts
17-Oct-2007, 07:29 PM
although by the time Land happened I would assume the Zeds could bust out a cordless drill & unscrew the plywood & let themselves in. :)
The dead wouldn't need to mess with power tools. With Big Daddy in charge, they could load up at those gun shops on the way and just shoot their way in.

In hindsight, it's probably a good strategy to keep Big Daddy alive. :D

ProfessorChaos
17-Oct-2007, 07:34 PM
nooooiiyccce!

-but how many others in the area would think the same way?:sneaky:

i live hours away, and i think that way.

that'd be great...i'm sure if the $hit ever did hit the fan, most of us would be meeting on the rooftop.

...and all the zeds in the parking lot would be communicating (a la big daddy) and saying to each other "why do they come here?"....then someone would go "some kind of instinct...memory. this was an important place in their lives.":lol:

MapMan
17-Oct-2007, 07:46 PM
My super Wal Mart is attached to a strip mall. It does carry firearms and ammo. There is a super Target on the other end of the strip. Pier 1, Staples and Old Navy to mention a few in the middle. I would secure Wal Mart, get on the roof and make my way to Pier 1. ( Gotta have my crib looking good yo) Target has a better selection of meat cuts. I would risk my ass for a tasty T-Bone.

jim102016
18-Oct-2007, 03:44 AM
My super Wal Mart is attached to a strip mall. It does carry firearms and ammo. There is a super Target on the other end of the strip. Pier 1, Staples and Old Navy to mention a few in the middle. I would secure Wal Mart, get on the roof and make my way to Pier 1. ( Gotta have my crib looking good yo) Target has a better selection of meat cuts. I would risk my ass for a tasty T-Bone.

Make sure you keep power running for the freezers!

wyvern1096
18-Oct-2007, 10:37 PM
I used to work at a mall with rolling steel gates that came down over the doors for the anchor stores. You could hole up in Sears, raid the food court once, and the near-by Publix and be set. The mall itself would be a write off but the four big stores could be secured. There were roll down metal ladders on the roof as well. Easy exit. Come to think of it you could also go from anchor store to anchor store (not that JC Penny or McRae's would be useful) via the roof.

Yojimbo
20-Oct-2007, 11:54 PM
...and all the zeds in the parking lot would be communicating (a la big daddy) and saying to each other "why do they come here?"....then someone would go "some kind of instinct...memory. this was an important place in their lives.":lol:

Funny!

LivingDeadBeat
21-Oct-2007, 04:02 PM
My mall isn't very ideal, it has two floors, but both are ground floor as it's on a hill. There is an underground carpark mind you, but it doesn't beat Monroeville.

dynamitejim
21-Oct-2007, 08:27 PM
My mall got a Dick's Sports store built into it a couple years ago and they sell guns. There's probably not enough food in the place to last more than a year unless you somehow turn the roof into a greenhouse and grow your own plants.

DjfunkmasterG
21-Oct-2007, 08:57 PM
If I could get too, or use the Arundel mills Mall in Hanover, MD, I could make it easily. They have Pro Bass, Outdoor sporting goods store that has a massive display of firearms. A food court with at least 30 eateries, and 100's of other stores i could pillage from to make life in the mall livable and passable. Hell, they even have a Medieval Time eatery in the mall, so that takes care of entertainment :D

Wyldwraith
04-Nov-2007, 08:22 AM
Well,
The Paddock Mall (my local mall in Ocala, FL) is total garbage, suffering all the same equipment deficiencies as the 45-minute-away Oaks Mall in G-ville..the only advantage the Paddock Mall has is a lack of outdoor windows and thick safety glass in the doors.

I too live within 5 minutes by bike of a Super Wal-Mart that carries firearms. Across the street from said Wal-Mart is a pawn shop so more goodies there.

Honestly, these days I think Malls are total deathtraps. The sort of stores that carry useful gear just don't become mall outlets anymore.

Oh, had to mention the comment about the zombies talking about why the humans would go to Monroeville made me spit soda and laugh my ass off. Good one :)