PDA

View Full Version : just a short rant on slasher films

Danny
18-Oct-2007, 01:38 PM
so yeh, what it says on the tin really, submitted for a freinds new horror blog hes set up whilst he works on a site proper: http://tricktreat.blogspot.com/

-so now im imagining you took the time click here but does anyone else think the same thing about slasher films now?, theres just nothign but clones now, and bcuase of that its fallen into more obscurity, hell i reckon a slasher by gary ugarek of nick thompson would be interesting to see.:D
i mean aside from minerva zombeis own take at halloween has anyone on here ever tried there hand at the slasher subgenre, cus im kinda working ona script for one now as i really want to try to make something that shows "yes you can do something other than the same cliche slasher everytime", seriously?, is the subgenre officially just an elepheants graveyard for sleasy flicks about horny drunk teenagers and nothign more?

bassman
18-Oct-2007, 01:41 PM
so yeh, what it says on the tin really, submitted for a freinds new horror blog hes set up whilst he works on a site proper: http://tricktreat.blogspot.com/

-so now im imagining you took the time click here but does anyone else think the same thing about slasher films now?, theres just nothign but clones now, and bcuase of that its fallen into more obscurity, hell i reckon a slasher by gary ugarek of nick thompson would be interesting to see.:D
i mean aside from minerva zombeis own take at halloween has anyone on here ever tried there hand at the slasher subgenre, cus im kinda working ona script for one now as i really want to try to make something that shows "yes you can do something other than the same cliche slasher everytime", seriously?, is the subgenre officially just an elepheants graveyard for sleasy flicks about horny drunk teenagers and nothign more?

It's always been that way. I thought the original Scream had a unique approach with the movie tie ins, but other than that, all slashers have always been boring to me(including Halloween:shifty:).

Instead of horny drunk teenagers, you should do horny drunk elderly people in an assisted living home.:p

Danny
18-Oct-2007, 01:55 PM
i just think some of its just so far fetched its comedic, im currently working on one myself and the one thing i would not shift on? HE ****ING RUNS! all this walking till the victim trips (:rolleyes:) is bullcrap, im thinking something a little different, a bit of the abttle royale things in it, but not what youd think. ill leave it at that, since knwo ill be working with bigass blu ray cameras i reckon this one might be a little more than a pipe dream script, im gonna look for some decent dyi effects site too becuase i want to "do a savini" and learn some effects myself.

axlish
18-Oct-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm working on one now, hopefully to start filming some time before next summer, and yes, it is formulaic as hell. Making a slasher that wasn't formulaic would be like making a western without horses and guns. There is a craving to feed when making a slasher, and when it isn't fulfilled, then you are not satisfying your core audience. It is a slasher after all, try not to be pretentious about it.

MikePizzoff
18-Oct-2007, 03:55 PM
HE ****ING RUNS! all this walking till the victim trips (:rolleyes:) is bullcrap

I think Michael Meyers was the only one to not run after victims if they ran away. Maybe also the killer in Student Bodies, but I can't really remember because it's been so long since I saw it.

MinionZombie
18-Oct-2007, 05:41 PM
Down to the sort of film you're making really.

But the problem with newer slashers, such as those pish-awful Urban Legend films (seriously BAD), they lack any sense of tension, intelligence or any sort of idea above their station - Halloween, now there's a film with ideas above it's station, which it achieves.

The classic slashers - like the Friday 13th films - they fill a certain void, and it's brilliant I say. It's the knock-offs of the original successes which are just shiite, beyond the key genre markers, it's mainly tosh for the slasher genre...and nowadays you've gotta do something different, or dip your balls in there ... not like Urban Legends where it's just shiite moment after shiite moment, devoid of any sense of drama, horror, tension or fear - absolute cack ... then you get some loud noises chucked in to constitute a "scare", it's bollocks, mate - marketing and business exercises done badly.

At least the Friday 13th films were business savvy, but came at the right time - at the forefront of the movement - and provided decent entertainment. But you can't just make that sort of thing anymore...so if they really are making an 11th Friday 13th film, it'll be interesting to see what happens (hopefully going back to the vibe of the first four films, of which 1, 2 and 4 were f*cking superb ... 3 was iffy, but had its moments and purpose - the fact that 2 through 4 are all within the same time frame of a few days/week is also awesome).

Anyway, slasher flicks have their place, as long as they're done well then who cares? If conventions are used, then it has to be in the right way, rather than just train-track "oh that'll do" slap-dash bish-bosh.

I don't look down on the slasher genre at all, I do look down on crap slasher flicks though...because they're crap...but the land marks of the genre are boshty-as-fook. :cool:

mista_mo
18-Oct-2007, 10:57 PM
The Original nightmare on elm street is superior to friday the 13th and halloween.

that is all.

MikePizzoff
19-Oct-2007, 12:58 AM
The Original nightmare on elm street is superior to friday the 13th and halloween.

that is all.

Nightmare On Elm St isn't a slasher flick, nor are any of it's sequels.

Minerva_Zombi
19-Oct-2007, 05:42 AM
Anybody ever notice in Halloween H20, Janet leigh? For those of you who don't know, Janet Leigh starred in the original slasher "Psycho". Shje is also Jamie Lee Curtis' Mother. But, In Halloween H20, she drives the exact same car she drove in Psycho. I dunno if anyone ever noticed that little homage to Psycho.