PDA

View Full Version : Something from 28 weeks that bothered me

Skippy911sc
19-Oct-2007, 07:43 PM
I saw 28 weeks later some time ago and something has been bothering me and I wanted to know if anyone else noticed this. Jeremy Renners character is carrying an M4 type rifle with a red dot, I think it is an Aimpoint red dot sight , with a pvs-14 night vision monocular mounted behind it. When he looks through the optic in many situations the view is zoomed. As well, sometimes it is night vision capable and other times it is a day optic, this without removing the night vision monocular. Did anyone else notice this and was anyone else bothered by this?

Legion2213
19-Oct-2007, 08:04 PM
I know nothing guns or night vision scopes, but I know that Hollywood seems to know less...they are always adding "noises/effects" to fire arms that don't exist in real life.

I always loved that scene in "the last action hero" where "Arrnahld" shoots a car and looks all shocked because it didn't blow up (like it should've done in his little movie world).

jim102016
19-Oct-2007, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE=Legion2213;116647]I know nothing guns or night vision scopes, but I know that Hollywood seems to know less...they are always adding "noises/effects" to fire arms that don't exist in real life.

Hollywood doesn't know **** about the military, they OFTEN f*ck up every or any aspect dealing it. The town is full of people who are payed to pretend to be other people; no real-life experience goes into the equation. When they're not playing make-believe, they're criticizing and leading wild political crusades against things they've never had the balls to stick their own necks out for.

For some damned reason, they're looked upon as heroes and role models, America is all f*cked up.

Can you guess that I'm not a fan of celebrities?

DubiousComforts
20-Oct-2007, 01:10 AM
Hollywood doesn't know **** about the military
Wasn't 28 Weeks Later made in the UK?

no real-life experience goes into the equation. When they're not playing make-believe, they're criticizing and leading wild political crusades against things they've never had the balls to stick their own necks out for.
Funny how that accurately describes most American politicians, both the Democrat and Republican parties, and particularly the current administration.:D

jim102016
20-Oct-2007, 03:25 AM
Wasn't 28 Weeks Later made in the UK?

Funny how that accurately describes most American politicians, both the Democrat and Republican parties, and particularly the current administration.:D

Government has always been f*cked up in one way or another....I think American obsession with worthless celebrities is going to be worse in the long run.

AcesandEights
20-Oct-2007, 06:15 AM
Good catch, but to be honest, it doesn't really bother me or get under my skin. Good eye, nonetheless.

Government has always been f*cked up in one way or another....I think American obsession with worthless celebrities is going to be worse in the long run.

Yup, because it helps distract them from the ****ed up state of the government.

Yojimbo
20-Oct-2007, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=Legion2213;116647]I know nothing guns or night vision scopes, but I know that Hollywood seems to know less...they are always adding "noises/effects" to fire arms that don't exist in real life.

Hollywood doesn't know **** about the military, they OFTEN f*ck up every or any aspect dealing it. The town is full of people who are payed to pretend to be other people; no real-life experience goes into the equation. When they're not playing make-believe, they're criticizing and leading wild political crusades against things they've never had the balls to stick their own necks out for.

For some damned reason, they're looked upon as heroes and role models, America is all f*cked up.

Can you guess that I'm not a fan of celebrities?

Yeah, as a native Los Angeleno, it irks me that Los Angeles has a flaky rep, primarily because of the stupids in the entertainment industry and the wannabes who flock to Los Angeles, presumably to get into the entertainment industry. Those of us born here have to deal with these a-holes in addition to the bad rep they give our city. There are lots of us here that are normal, average folks and we love our city too.

Hollywood is stupid, that is for sure. I know that there are a lot of outfits that hire consultants to make sure that their military or combat scenes are done with authenticity, but my guess is it all goes to hell in the editing room where the suits will prevail with their suggestions of pumping shotguns twice before firing once, silencers on revolvers, grenades attached to webgear by the loops on the pins, etc.

Wyldwraith
05-Nov-2007, 12:08 PM
I really think its simpler than that,
A lot of time the way things are in real life are more boring and/or restrictive than screenwriters/directors would like. They think like this: "I have 90-120 minutes to play out the story. Why should I waste screen-time showing a guy switching out some gizmo or other on his gun. The audience doesn't care about things like that, they just want more explosions and more blood"

Then like the previous poster mentioned, even when someone in the creative area DOES care the suits prevail come the editing.

To be fair, there's so much going on in many fast-paced action scenes that I really do thing your average viewer really doesn't notice or much care. Suspension of disbelief powers the entertainment industry.

Yes we get it, America = Too indulgent of celebrities. Not too impressed with the Uber Patriots (tm) either.

SymphonicX
07-Nov-2007, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=jim102016;116669]

Hollywood is stupid, that is for sure. I know that there are a lot of outfits that hire consultants to make sure that their military or combat scenes are done with authenticity, but my guess is it all goes to hell in the editing room where the suits will prevail with their suggestions of pumping shotguns twice before firing once, silencers on revolvers, grenades attached to webgear by the loops on the pins, etc.

wait, I don't see what this has to do with the editing....!!!!

I mean, if the movie was made with the grenades hanging off the guys army coat by the pins - then that's how it was shot....nothing to do with the way it is cut. Now the only real argument for it being an editing problem is the night vision thing, ie when it cuts to a shot of a scope view that doesn't belong to the actual rifle - this is noted I think in the goofs section of IMDB for this movie. Also cutting to two different shots of the same person pumping the shotgun twice is the same idea as showing an explosion from two different angles, multiple times to get a greater effect - think the ferrari blowing up in mission impossible three. This is just a technique to show passing of time or to play with time and rythmn and doesn't really have to follow any succinct flow of reality....

Its more a storyboard/scripting problem is a character fires 1000 plus rounds from a handgun...a reload needs to be factored into an action sequence generally before its shot (we are talking hollwood here) or can also be blamed on the continuity department. Now as for sound effects (when a gun makes loads of clicking sounds when someone just picks it up), this is a sound problem, a post production problem yes....but an editing problem? No...don't forget every sound effect is manufactured in post production...not the editing part which is to get flow and pace in the movie.

Anyway I do concurr that the producer is always usually responsible for making ridiiculous suggestions in the cutting of a movie...they are there to oversee the pace and flow of the film is what is expected and to achieve this they'll usually ask for something to be cut to pieces just to make it appear a certain way....but really its a mass effort if say, arnie has killed 13 people with one grenade yet those same people who fired millions of AK47 rounds at him didn't even hit the wall behind him....

But to be honest, if the movie is fun to watch then I don't care about how accurate the weapons are....Dawn 78 isn't exactly noted for its weapon realism, especially as no shells ever come out of a gun.

ZombieTurtle
10-Nov-2007, 11:37 PM
I saw 28 weeks later some time ago and something has been bothering me and I wanted to know if anyone else noticed this. Jeremy Renners character is carrying an M4 type rifle with a red dot, I think it is an Aimpoint red dot sight , with a pvs-14 night vision monocular mounted behind it. When he looks through the optic in many situations the view is zoomed. As well, sometimes it is night vision capable and other times it is a day optic, this without removing the night vision monocular. Did anyone else notice this and was anyone else bothered by this?

Optical devices in movies do all kinds of things that they don't do in real life. Displays are often enhanced to make the scene more interesting to the sheep off the street. Perhaps this is just another example.

I don't remember the sights details from the movie as they were not that important to me at the time, and I'm used to ignoring when the view through an optical device doesn't really appear like it should.

What I do know is that the Aimpoint 3x magnifying module on a twist mount can be added or removed from the rail in under 2 seconds. Same with the PVS-14.

Maybe what you are seeing is the magnifying module being interchanged and used during times with greater amounts of ambient lighting, and the PVS-14 being used when the light levels are low. Then the unused device would be carried in a pouch on the user's vest or belt. As the magnifier doesn't appear too much unlike a PVS-14, confusing the two from one scene to the next is possible.

While I've never personally tried to use the Aimpoint magnifier with a NOD, that doesn't mean it cannot be done. It is my understanding that there is a magnifier specifically for use with the PVS-14 system, but again I've not used it.

Also if there was a magnifier on the rifle in question you should see 3 modules on the rail.

Yojimbo
10-Nov-2007, 11:51 PM
wait, I don't see what this has to do with the editing....!!!!

I mean, if the movie was made with the grenades hanging off the guys army coat by the pins - then that's how it was shot....nothing to do with the way it is cut. Now the only real argument for it being an editing problem is the night vision thing, ie when it cuts to a shot of a scope view that doesn't belong to the actual rifle - this is noted I think in the goofs section of IMDB for this movie. Also cutting to two different shots of the same person pumping the shotgun twice is the same idea as showing an explosion from two different angles, multiple times to get a greater effect - think the ferrari blowing up in mission impossible three. This is just a technique to show passing of time or to play with time and rythmn and doesn't really have to follow any succinct flow of reality....

Its more a storyboard/scripting problem is a character fires 1000 plus rounds from a handgun...a reload needs to be factored into an action sequence generally before its shot (we are talking hollwood here) or can also be blamed on the continuity department. Now as for sound effects (when a gun makes loads of clicking sounds when someone just picks it up), this is a sound problem, a post production problem yes....but an editing problem? No...don't forget every sound effect is manufactured in post production...not the editing part which is to get flow and pace in the movie.

Anyway I do concurr that the producer is always usually responsible for making ridiiculous suggestions in the cutting of a movie...they are there to oversee the pace and flow of the film is what is expected and to achieve this they'll usually ask for something to be cut to pieces just to make it appear a certain way....but really its a mass effort if say, arnie has killed 13 people with one grenade yet those same people who fired millions of AK47 rounds at him didn't even hit the wall behind him....

But to be honest, if the movie is fun to watch then I don't care about how accurate the weapons are....Dawn 78 isn't exactly noted for its weapon realism, especially as no shells ever come out of a gun.

You make a good point. Certainly the grenades attached to tactical vests by pins is not the fault of editors. You are right to point the blame at producers rather than the editors. Yeah, DOTD isn't known for it's realism when it comes to gunplay (like revolvers shooting too many rounds -- in that particular instance an editing error) but I still love it.

Craig
11-Nov-2007, 04:07 PM
Most of the best and true to life films don't come out of Hollywood.