PDA

View Full Version : second grader does what?!?

acealive1
20-Oct-2007, 09:51 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071020/ap_on_re_us/gun_drawing_suspension

ok,we have more important things going on than this.

Danny
20-Oct-2007, 10:02 PM
now thats just paranoid, are they thinking "oh ****, this is another ****in' columbine aiting to happen or something?", there is a limit to the this kind fo stuff, i mean drawing a stick figure with a gun, the kid could have just seen a movie with one in or somethign ,hell anything, kids use imagination ynow?, shame the people doing the suspending and enforcing nutty rules forget that each students unique and you gota treat them that way, not jump to conclusions.

"Kyle drew other pictures, including a skateboarder, King Tut, a ghost, a tree and a Cyclops" - what'll they penalize him with for drawing them d'ya reckon?:rolleyes:

acealive1
20-Oct-2007, 10:59 PM
i used to draw police cars with guns on them as a kid and never got in trouble

Terran
20-Oct-2007, 11:02 PM
I once got in trouble in kindergarten because I drew a bunch of naked people on a test...and then tried to erase them (but you could still totally see everything)....Let me tell you the nun was not happy (I went to Catholic school as a child)...

Also as a kid I drew tons of violent pictures...people getting ripped apart ...guns...violence galore....but back then no one cared if a kid drew violent stuff...

Yojimbo
21-Oct-2007, 12:00 AM
Dummies! Dummies!!!! Dummies!!!!!

Zero-tolerance has got to be the worst shortcut through thinking ever!

acealive1
21-Oct-2007, 12:53 AM
Dummies! Dummies!!!! Dummies!!!!!

Zero-tolerance has got to be the worst shortcut through thinking ever!

:lol::lol:

Danny
21-Oct-2007, 10:16 AM
i used to draw police cars with guns on them as a kid and never got in trouble

dude i drew so many ghosts and weird castles and coffins and **** youd think i would have turned out to be afull blown goth when i grew up, they never batted an eye, the only time i ever saw somethign like this happen was in year 4 when we were making book marks and some kid drew what we didnt know then was a disturbingly realistic depiction of a man and a woman doing the monster mash:lol:

MinionZombie
21-Oct-2007, 11:21 AM
I spent a lot of time drawing cars with guns on them, also apartment buildings burning down (a la "Batteries Not Included), then moved on to Terminators, Aliens and people shooting each other with limbs flying everywhere, blood, guts and all sorts...then zombies eating people.

I'd be certifiable by the decision of those loonies. :lol:

Danny
21-Oct-2007, 01:17 PM
surely its less of a warning sign if the kids not hiding these pictures with a zeal.

MikePizzoff
21-Oct-2007, 05:26 PM
Kyle drew other pictures, including a skateboarder, King Tut, a ghost, a tree and a Cyclops, the newspaper reported.

:eek: WOW! PUT IT ON THE SIX O'CLOCK NEWS!

Legion2213
21-Oct-2007, 06:30 PM
The term "PC gone mad" applies here...absolutely bloody insane. :rolleyes:

"Zero tolerance" should focus on mugging, raping, murdering, robbing etc...not childrens imagination...

Marie
21-Oct-2007, 06:45 PM
The term "PC gone mad" applies here...absolutely bloody insane. :rolleyes:

"Zero tolerance" should focus on mugging, raping, murdering, robbing etc...not childrens imagination...

The point is, more often than not, it focusus on the people who DEFEND themselves against mugging, raping, murdering, robbing etc.

The schools seem to be trying to alter the essential nature of little boys. Researchers once did an experment where they gave little boys dolls to play with, the boys promptly bent the dolls into a ninety degree angle, started pointing them at each other and yelling "BANG".

Get over it, we're a predator species, we'll never be peaceful grasseaters. Best we can hope for is that we can teach them to be (mostly) law abiding.
(BTW, we're doing a crappy job of that too.)

M_

Legion2213
21-Oct-2007, 06:58 PM
Marie, I know a woman who gave her little boy a few dolls out of curiosity...she told me (quite proudly) the first thing he did was have them square up and start fighting...he did that because he was a little boy, not a little girl. :D

You are totally correct in everything you write BTW, we are a predator species and we are a pretty violent bunch when the thin veneer of civilisation is peeled away...we didn't reach the top of the food chain by being passive daisy pickers.

Yojimbo
21-Oct-2007, 09:07 PM
The point is, more often than not, it focusus on the people who DEFEND themselves against mugging, raping, murdering, robbing etc.

The schools seem to be trying to alter the essential nature of little boys. Researchers once did an experment where they gave little boys dolls to play with, the boys promptly bent the dolls into a ninety degree angle, started pointing them at each other and yelling "BANG".

Get over it, we're a predator species, we'll never be peaceful grasseaters. Best we can hope for is that we can teach them to be (mostly) law abiding.
(BTW, we're doing a crappy job of that too.)

M_

Marie Rules!

DeadJonas190
22-Oct-2007, 04:03 AM
Man, I would have been expelled if I went there, my friends and I used to pass around pictures and each drawn in a stealth bomber, a tank or whatever other type of war machine we wanted to draw and then at the end of the day we had a full blown picture of a war, complete with Cobra being blown up by G.I. Joe guys.

This is an example of people going overboard and leaving common sense behind.

SRP76
22-Oct-2007, 04:11 AM
And what happens if they ignore this, then he comes out in a couple months and starts blowing heads off?

Oh, yeah, the same thing that happens every time: "why didn't they do anything about him then?"

You can't have it both ways. Either we ignore all of these incidents, and DON'T bitch when a math class gets sprayed up, or we clamp down on all of these incidents, and hope for the best.

One, or the other. Not "whatever's convenient".

DeadJonas190
22-Oct-2007, 04:39 AM
And what happens if they ignore this, then he comes out in a couple months and starts blowing heads off?

Oh, yeah, the same thing that happens every time: "why didn't they do anything about him then?"

You can't have it both ways. Either we ignore all of these incidents, and DON'T bitch when a math class gets sprayed up, or we clamp down on all of these incidents, and hope for the best.

One, or the other. Not "whatever's convenient".

A 7 year old drawing stick figures is hardly a threat. People are going overboard and stripping away personal freedoms in the name of "Security" when in fact, all they are doing is slipping us into a more Orwellian society every single day. There comes a point when one must stand up to the absurdity of what is going on and tell people to use some common sense. A 7 year old drawing stick figures is harmless, it is a kid being a kid.

Put it this way, how often did school shootings happen when kids dressed up as cowboys and indians and played all day outside shooting at each other with invisible bullets and invisible arrows.... oh wait, they didn't occurr. Take away the play guns, the play arrows and throw "Political Correctness" into the mix and suddenly we have a Columbine type situation every freaking year, sometimes a couple times a year.

What happens? The media glorifies the violence, they pound how horrible what happened is into our heads and give those unstable indivuals that are living amongst us ideas of how to take care of their problems and become an overnight TV sensation that will live on in the history books for the horrible atrocities they committed.

But lets blame the 7 year old who drew a stick figure and suspend him for being a kid.

SRP76
22-Oct-2007, 04:45 AM
And every time a shooting happens, everyone complains that "you should have seen the warning signs". You cannot deny that. It happens every single time.

If you let one "be a kid", then you have to let them all. You can't just single one out, because "you look creepier than the other gun-drawing kid", or exclude another "because he's a cute one".

And if they do just let them go, nobody has ANY right to bleat that "this could have been prevented" later on.

Danny
22-Oct-2007, 11:14 AM
they dont have many rights at all if thats how there treated.
This is a seven year old kid who, amongst a series of pictures pdrew one with what he said was a water pistol and everyone thought "aww snap, here goes columbine all over again!", there is a difference, all the school shoot outs have allways been done by loners that werent normal kids, there were warning signs but thsi is just one drawing the kid drew, its absurd to do this routine evertime as its just one drawing give it a few days and the kid wouldnt even remember the picture , i mean what can this lead to "outlawing imagination due to possible implications of mass homocide"?:rolleyes:

DeadJonas190
23-Oct-2007, 05:56 AM
And every time a shooting happens, everyone complains that "you should have seen the warning signs". You cannot deny that. It happens every single time.

If you let one "be a kid", then you have to let them all. You can't just single one out, because "you look creepier than the other gun-drawing kid", or exclude another "because he's a cute one".

And if they do just let them go, nobody has ANY right to bleat that "this could have been prevented" later on.

A kid drawing a single picture of what he said was a watergun is in no way an indication of him becoming a mass murderer. If you look into the personal life of these people who are doing the shootings, they all seemed to be pretty messed up individuals who had quite a few problems and almost every single shooting was done by people being bullied.

Yet the bullies are allowed to do what they do, nevermind that their actions are more responsible for what happened than most other factors.

This is just a ridiculous thing to do, there is no reason for a "zero tolerance" policy in regards to childrens drawings. IF the kid were unstable, he would be drawing more than one drawing of a watergun. It's time to stand up and tell people they are being ridiculous and insane and that their ignorant policies are causing too many problems.

And I thought it was dumb because schools are banning peanut butter because somebody may or may not be allergic to it. Sometimes idiocy overtakes common sense.