PDA

View Full Version : 30 Days Of Night

MikePizzoff
22-Oct-2007, 04:41 AM
Did anybody else see this yet?

I thought it was a great horror film; in my opinion, the best horror this millenium; the best vampire flick since Near Dark. It gets straight to the intensity within minutes, which is awesome.

The usage of an entirely original score is great, and the fact that the music is sparingly used is even greater. I was expecting to hear some shoddy nu-metal thrown in during action sequences but thankfully there was just great atmospheric music or sometimes no music at all, which would add to the suspense.

The actors were all great. Especially Melissa George... but I'm biased because I think she's absolutely gorgeous. Mark Boone was really cool. All of the vampires were well chosen and pretty freaky.

I've heard a few reviews knocking this, saying it was silly or just horrendous, but I 100% disagree and most people I've spoken to are on the same page as me, saying it's the best horror movie in years.

I give it a 9/10... which is amazing for my standards.

DeadJonas190
22-Oct-2007, 04:47 AM
I have to agree, it was really freaking good. I do have a couple minor complaints, but overall they are just me being picky. I will put them in a spoiler tag so I don't give away anything.

For instance, the main massacre of the village occurs in one day, yet the blood on the vampires stays fresh looking for the entire film. Also, the blood in the snow would have been covered during the blizzard, but soon after you can still see blood in the streets.

However, that overhead shot of the slaughter was amazing.

So thats pretty much the extent of my complaints. I still would give it an 8.5/10, it is definatly an awesome movie.

MikePizzoff
22-Oct-2007, 05:16 AM
I agree, Jonas. That was pretty much the only complaint I had, too, which is rare because these days pretty much every new movie that comes out I have tons of complaints about.

And, yes, that overhead shot of the town was VERY impressive.

AcesandEights
22-Oct-2007, 07:30 AM
First off, thank you for using spoiler markings and not giving too much away and thank you for passing on the positive reviews. Now, I'm stoked to see this!

Neil
22-Oct-2007, 08:59 AM
The reviews on AICN haven't been too good... Just goes to show!

Danny
22-Oct-2007, 11:18 AM
not out here yet but im definatley looking forward to it.:D

MissJacksonCA
29-Oct-2007, 05:37 AM
I finally just got to see the movie and really loved it... most people i've talked to said they didn't enjoy it or they liked it but that its nothing great or anything... heck of the five people who went with me only one other person loved it as much...

Without spoiling it I will say Boo in that... I felt there were a few discrepencies in the movie that made it seem shoddy but similarly could be fodder for a 30 DON forum in itself where we could debate it like we do the dead series.

For the most part though I thought the movie was great and loved it because we haven't seen a new vampire movie in theaters in a while (last one I recall was that Kate Beckinsale flick) and its been a LONG time since a vampire movie kinda broke the typical mold. The movie was pretty slow paced and lagged a lot but when stuff happened it rocked. I have to say... I plan to read the graphic novel on this one because i'm hoping its a bit different and perhaps the story will go on and on.

MikePizzoff
29-Oct-2007, 05:57 AM
The movie was pretty slow paced and lagged a lot

You really think so? I thought it was paced perfectly; not too fast, not too slow.

MissJacksonCA
29-Oct-2007, 06:16 AM
Thats how I felt... and the five people who went with me... It was kinda like action... calm... action... calm... I mean it didn't ruin the movie and prolly made it more suspenseful like a calm before a storm but I just was craving what was going to come next... my personality is very I want it now... which is why I can't buy gifts for people in advance... I have to give them it early... same reason why I couldn't be trusted not to peek at my presents... I jsut sat there the whole movie gripping my fingers around the arm rests going 'yeah yeah MORE GIVE ME MORE' ... I did kinda feel like a lot of the overhead shots were a bit of a waste and possibly their attempt to continue to show the total isolation of the town but thaaaaaaaaaaaas jus me...

I'm wondering how many pages the script was too because it felt like there wasn't a whole lot of talking either... not that you need it or anything I dunno I have to see it again prefferably when there's less people in the theater it will give me a better chance to take it in...

But hey Mike... got to tell ya... your review was the reason I went to see the movie because the 20 people I know here who've seen it all said not to waste my money... however they'd prolly say the same if Dawn the origional was at the movies because their opinions just dont seem to roll in the same direction as mine do... so hey thanks for the non spoiling review the movie was awesome and i did love it~!

MikePizzoff
29-Oct-2007, 06:08 PM
Glad to hear my review persuaded even just one person from these boards to go see the movie and enjoy it!

Everyone else should follow suit!

DubiousComforts
29-Oct-2007, 06:36 PM
Hate to piss on the virtual lovefest for this movie, but I will anyway. :D

Great idea for a story which the filmmakers had no idea how to pull off effectively. Way too many cheap scares with headache-inducing edits and annoyingly loud audio.

Just like DAWN '04, we now have super-fast vampires. On the one hand, they're shown to be intelligent beings, but in the very next scene, they're portrayed as thoughtless savages to the detriment of the entire film. Goth fashion-conscious "vampires" are as laughable on screen as they are in real-life. Now blood-suckers that look just like your next door neighbor--that is scary.

It needs to be mentioned, however, Josh Hartnett did a great job with what little he had to work with. I still would see the movie regardless of anyone's opinion, pro or con, but perhaps save $20 and wait for the $4 DVD rental.

MissJacksonCA
29-Oct-2007, 06:40 PM
The look of the vampires did kinda remind me of the vamps from that Fright Night movie... like Charlies girlfriend when she got all psycho...

Minerva_Zombi
29-Oct-2007, 07:11 PM
yeah i liked it, but best horror movie of the millinium? come on... far from it. The Devil's Rejects, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Grindhouse, etc. are way better films. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it a 6 or 7. I liked the Vampires. But, overall the movie was uneven and in my opinion "Cheap scares" ruin movies for me. Ex. when a character is in the background and suddenly someone walks past the camera and we get a sharp loud sound... That kind of crap makes my blood curl.

MikePizzoff
29-Oct-2007, 09:47 PM
yeah i liked it, but best horror movie of the millinium? come on... far from it. The Devil's Rejects, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Grindhouse, etc. are way better films.

That's YOUR opinion...

To me, Grindhouse was half awesome; Planet Terror ruled, although it wasn't like a grindhouse flick; and Death Proof was boring, although it was impressive how grindhouse-esque it was.

The Devils Rejects wasn't really "horrifying". I loved it and all, but it was more gore than horror. I'd even go as far as to say it was pretty much more so an action flick.

I didn't see 28 Weeks Later but 28 Days Later I found pretty good but, again, the second half of the movie, with the military guys, really dragged on and I had just wished it would end for most of that whole segment.

Minerva_Zombi
30-Oct-2007, 05:10 AM
That's YOUR opinion...

To me, Grindhouse was half awesome; Planet Terror ruled, although it wasn't like a grindhouse flick; and Death Proof was boring, although it was impressive how grindhouse-esque it was.

The Devils Rejects wasn't really "horrifying". I loved it and all, but it was more gore than horror. I'd even go as far as to say it was pretty much more so an action flick.

I didn't see 28 Weeks Later but 28 Days Later I found pretty good but, again, the second half of the movie, with the military guys, really dragged on and I had just wished it would end for most of that whole segment.

yeah my opinion and most critics and most everyone elses too. if you thought planet terror ruled and death proof was boring. u obviously have bad taste. 30 days of night was barely above average if that. it was nothing i haven't seen before.

MikePizzoff
30-Oct-2007, 10:09 PM
if you thought planet terror ruled and death proof was boring. u obviously have bad taste.

Wow...

Danny
30-Oct-2007, 10:30 PM
yeah my opinion and most critics and most everyone elses too. if you thought planet terror ruled and death proof was boring. u obviously have bad taste. 30 days of night was barely above average if that. it was nothing i haven't seen before.

god forbid two people have tastes unique to themselves:rolleyes:

MikePizzoff
31-Oct-2007, 12:53 AM
god forbid two people have tastes unique to themselves:rolleyes:

Thanks, Hells.

Danny
31-Oct-2007, 01:10 AM
it really grinds my gears when other people have to tell YOU that they thought the movie was bad so it must be, whatever happened to "in my opinion"?:rolleyes:

AcesandEights
31-Oct-2007, 11:00 AM
Gonna see it tonight with a good group of friends. I'll be hoping for a fun movie.

Danny
31-Oct-2007, 12:36 PM
uh, my friends are dragging me to see saw 4 instead:rolleyes::mad::barf:

Khardis
31-Oct-2007, 09:17 PM
As for 30 Days of Night, I enjoyed about 90% of the movie. The ending was a little hollywood-ish for me, but hey it is a Hollywood film, so there ya go.

ProfessorChaos
01-Nov-2007, 02:51 AM
uh, my friends are dragging me to see saw 4 instead:rolleyes::mad::barf:

those people aren't your friends, hellsing.

:lol:

AcesandEights
01-Nov-2007, 04:49 AM
Okay. Not a bad movie. It definitely seemed to stall a little in execution, but it had a lot of parts that were done well, but just didn't seem to paste together into a compelling movie. Still though, those individual parts were worth the price of admission.

Yojimbo
02-Nov-2007, 01:46 AM
if you thought planet terror ruled and death proof was boring. u obviously have bad taste.

Kind of harsh and personal there.

Minerva_Zombi
02-Nov-2007, 04:26 AM
Kind of harsh and personal there.

you're right. i apologize.

Yojimbo
03-Nov-2007, 01:53 AM
you're right. i apologize.

Minerva_Zombi you are good people. I'd let you into the cellar any day, it's the safest place!

Minerva_Zombi
03-Nov-2007, 05:27 AM
Minerva_Zombi you are good people. I'd let you into the cellar any day, it's the safest place!

thanks but no thanks. i think i'll stay up here and continue to board up windows and knock out women. lol

Danny
03-Nov-2007, 04:30 PM
those people aren't your friends, hellsing.

:lol:

we whent there and it was full, thank god, then someone suggested resi 3 ,which i enjoyed so i said yes but my blogcast cohost/ sidekick jsut wouldnt adn the only other was the horror of dracula but he will not watch a film beofre 1985 or with subs or anything like that, his taste sucks, so we whent home and ate pizza and played halo 3 till ju-on came on.

-not as scary as the remake but a much better film however.

MikePizzoff
04-Nov-2007, 07:47 PM
we whent there and it was full, thank god, then someone suggested resi 3 ,which i enjoyed so i said yes but my blogcast cohost/ sidekick jsut wouldnt adn the only other was the horror of dracula but he will not watch a film beofre 1985 or with subs or anything like that, his taste sucks, so we whent home and ate pizza and played halo 3 till ju-on came on.

-not as scary as the remake but a much better film however.

So he refuses to watch movies with subtitles but then later that night he watches one with subtitles? Why didn't you smack him?

Danny
04-Nov-2007, 08:01 PM
oh he wasnt there then hed pissed off home, i wouldnt hae let such sweet irony, adn therefore a chance for a pride obliterating bitch slap get by me:lol:

Neil
07-Nov-2007, 07:48 AM
Saw it last night...

On the whole a relatively good film, which could have easily have been a great film.

Characters were all a bit one dimensional, which meant you didn't really care about them... Needed to be 'darker'!

I'd be very interested in seeing the obvious sequal - The vampires head for the neighbouring town next year, where Stella is waiting for them. Of course she's tried telling people about what happened before, but they all just think she's mad! This time she's ready though!

Chakobsa
07-Nov-2007, 10:39 PM
I thought that this was a pretty good film actually, great gore, interesting characters and the whole thing captured the mood of the books brilliantly in my view. The vampires looked great, just like the Templesmith illustrations.
If they do sequels, I hope they stick to the books and do "Dark Days" and "Return To Barrow". "Return" is my favourite, bloody brilliant.

Danny
07-Nov-2007, 10:48 PM
Saw it tonight, moiy thauwts be wit'-in: http://theundergroundslacker.blogspot.com/2007/11/30-days-of-night-review.html

I thought that this was a pretty good film actually, great gore, interesting characters and the whole thing captured the mood of the books brilliantly in my view. The vampires looked great, just like the Templesmith illustrations.
If they do sequels, I hope they stick to the books and do "Dark Days" and "Return To Barrow". "Return" is my favourite, bloody brilliant.

i doubt they take it as far as the one in space, though id prefer to see it left as a stand alone film, though you know its gonna be milked dry.:rolleyes:

Mutineer
07-Nov-2007, 11:22 PM
Thumbs up !

Well worth the time. Not great, but really good I thought. One of the best Vampire films in years.

Danny
07-Nov-2007, 11:46 PM
^aye, the key point at the end of my review is, wether you think its one of your all time favourites or just so-so you wont leave the threatre dissapointed.;)

Mutineer
08-Nov-2007, 12:29 AM
I was surprised at the level of gore, particulary with the last beheading.

Danny
08-Nov-2007, 01:05 AM
the little girl beheading had way more of an impact, you only see half a second as the axe connects up close ,but that was enough to send over a dozen people ,mostly tween chavs, fleeing the cinema in shock and terror.

MikePizzoff
08-Nov-2007, 12:46 PM
the little girl beheading had way more of an impact, you only see half a second as the axe connects up close ,but that was enough to send over a dozen people ,mostly tween chavs, fleeing the cinema in shock and terror.

You should wrap spoilers around that. I was going to mention that part, too, but realized it might give away something for people.

Danny
08-Nov-2007, 09:04 PM
You should wrap spoilers around that. I was going to mention that part, too, but realized it might give away something for people.

that doesnt have anything to do with the plot though its a 2 minute scene which has no relevance to the plot, well a shot at the end does, but i didnt say taht part becuase it would be spoiling it, all ive said is theres a vampire they kill, which, given its a vampire movie, is pretty much a given anyway.

Neil
09-Nov-2007, 08:04 AM
I thought the vampires were wasted a bit... We learned nothing about them really which is a real missed opportunity as I suspect they've quite some history behind them.

Also, they seem rather reckless:-
1) They seemed willing to waste their months supply of food. No attempt in the slight to 'pace' themselves, just killing everyone/anyone they could as quickly as possible.
2) They seemed to not care in the slightest about being killed. People are attacking them with shotguns blowing their heads off, and no attempt to preserve themselves.

As I've said before, good flick, but it could have been fleshed out and beefed up to something quite outstanding!

Danny
09-Nov-2007, 02:15 PM
actually the comic is more indepth, with a group of vampires coming to get these vampires as they fear theyll reveal the vampires to the world again. plus theres tons more to the story, but i for one liked a movie were vampires were jsut monsters ,none of this underworld emo fantasy bollox yknow?, just vampires showing up in the dark and doing what they do. not every film has to establish a star wars mythos, and many in fact have been ruined by thinking they had to.

DubiousComforts
10-Nov-2007, 02:15 AM
you wont leave the threatre dissapointed.;)
I was disappointed even though I had zero expectations. I suppose you can't please everyone. :D

but that was enough to send over a dozen people ,mostly tween chavs, fleeing the cinema in shock and terror.
There were kids younger much than tween-age in the theater where I saw it. What the hell is wrong with the parents?

I thought the vampires were wasted a bit... We learned nothing about them really which is a real missed opportunity as I suspect they've quite some history behind them.

Also, they seem rather reckless:-
I feel the vampires were ill-defined and completely wasted. Outside of Marlow--who was creepy because he showed intelligence and looked like a regular guy-the rest of the pack looked like Goth fashion models. Goths beating up on regular people... way too predictable.

Whatever CGI effect was being used on the vampires' eyes was a little silly, and not at all scary. After a while, they began to look like Zip and Pip, the Pinheads from FREAKS.

http://www.aolcdn.com/pmms/productpagemovies/05/03/2528352http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/580/pinheads2rm3.jpg

Excessium
13-Nov-2007, 06:17 PM
I liked the movie a lot. The movie really didn't scare me a whole lot.

SPOILER

The part that did get to me though was when the vampire "couple" were torturing the couple in their home. The woman pleading with the female vampire while they were being tortured, followed by the inevietable neck tearing and then her scream-that long, drawn out scream that trailed off into a little gurgle did get under my skin.
It's something about a really good scream that make scenes a little more scary.

MikePizzoff
16-Nov-2007, 12:46 AM
I liked the movie a lot. The movie really didn't scare me a whole lot.

SPOILER

The part that did get to me though was when the vampire "couple" were torturing the couple in their home. The woman pleading with the female vampire while they were being tortured, followed by the inevietable neck tearing and then her scream-that long, drawn out scream that trailed off into a little gurgle did get under my skin.
It's something about a really good scream that make scenes a little more scary.

Yes, that scene was great! Especially because there was absolutely no music during it; adding to the intensity.

20-Nov-2007, 07:31 AM
hmm...

movie pretty good all around...

except that big ass factual discrepancy that Barrow is NOT isolated, there are multiple flights in and out of town 365 days a year, and it's a populated central hub for Alaska's northern oilfields.

and since when does crude oil combust as fast as rubbing alcohol?

and who grows weed using UV light? (the bulb Evan used was not a UV bulb, at least)

so basically, considering I was treated to it... i give it a

:skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull: out of
:skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull: :skull::skull::skull:

MikePizzoff
20-Nov-2007, 12:47 PM
and who grows weed using UV light? (the bulb Evan used was not a UV bulb, at least)

Actually a good amount of people do. I even remember people through out high school that grew it in their closets that way.

20-Nov-2007, 05:18 PM
I even remember people through out high school that grew it in their closets that way.

well, call me old fashioned, but I was raised to believe Plants need VISIBLE light to grow. In fact these plants are budded at a light temperature of 3500K, vegetated at about 5200K. If you're using a UV light to grow weed in your closet you may as well be using a nightlight.

Now, there are bulbs and filter mechanisms which remove UV radiation from the setup.

MikePizzoff
20-Nov-2007, 06:23 PM
well, call me old fashioned, but I was raised to believe Plants need VISIBLE light to grow. In fact these plants are budded at a light temperature of 3500K, vegetated at about 5200K. If you're using a UV light to grow weed in your closet you may as well be using a nightlight.

Now, there are bulbs and filter mechanisms which remove UV radiation from the setup.

Perhaps it wasn't UV, I just assumed. But there WERE people that were growing baby pot plants in their closets with lights of some sort.

I'm sure they didn't get buds that way, but they still grew from seeds into plant form.

MikePizzoff
11-Feb-2008, 03:45 PM
I projected this last night with a couple of friends, some beers, and some herbal essences... this movie kicked just as much ass as it did the first time I saw it. Definitely a horror movie that I feel like giving an applause when the end credits start to roll (one of my friends actually did; he'd never seen it).

Also, I'd do anything to be married to Melissa George.

SoCalLoco
11-Feb-2008, 07:26 PM
I can't wait to watch it on blu-ray.

Kaos
11-Feb-2008, 08:26 PM
I can't wait to watch it on blu-ray.
I agree. I pre-ordered on Amazon.

Danny
11-Feb-2008, 08:55 PM
its one of the few flicks in a good long time ive wanted to get on dvdm only superbad and hot fuzz were the one si had to buy last year.

Neil
11-Feb-2008, 09:11 PM
I enjoyed it... Felt it could have been better... But enjoyed it...

I'd like to see a sequel where they iron it out really go for it :)

Mike70
11-Feb-2008, 09:27 PM
i really liked 30 days... that said i have neither the desire for nor interest in a sequel. for once i would like to see a decent horror movie left alone without a seemingly endless, increasingly dreadful as they continue, string of half-baked and mostly contrived continuations.

Danny
11-Feb-2008, 10:15 PM
i really liked 30 days... that said i have neither the desire for nor interest in a sequel. for once i would like to see a decent horror movie left alone without a seemingly endless, increasingly dreadful as they continue, string of half-baked and mostly contrived continuations.

i agree ,it was like a vampire version of the thing, a good stand alone old school isolation with a monster style horror flick.:cool:

p2501
12-Feb-2008, 01:47 AM
if your looking for sequels, Niles and templesmith have more books that finish out Eben and Stella's run in 30 days of night, both of which are excellent.

here

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Days-30-Night-Book/dp/193238216X/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202784103&sr=8-5

und here

http://www.amazon.com/Return-Barrow-Days-Night-Book/dp/1932382364/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

Danny
12-Feb-2008, 06:21 AM
just as long as they dont go to the vampires in space ones...somehow a vampire story in alaska is fine but one in space somehow lacks believability:sneaky:

Skippy911sc
12-Feb-2008, 06:32 PM
just as long as they dont go to the vampires in space ones...somehow a vampire story in alaska is fine but one in space somehow lacks believability:sneaky:

One of the greatest movies ever was about vampires from space...or in space...Lifeforce

I think it was filmed in and around London...give it a watch...it was very enjoyable.

Mike70
12-Feb-2008, 07:19 PM
One of the greatest movies ever was about vampires from space...or in space...Lifeforce

I think it was filmed in and around London...give it a watch...it was very enjoyable.

enjoyable and one of the craziest movies ever as far as plot goes. it starts out as a space movie; then becomes a vampire movie; then becomes an end of the world zombie flick before changing back into a scifi movie at the end.

Neil
12-Feb-2008, 07:53 PM
enjoyable and one of the craziest movies ever as far as plot goes. it starts out as a space movie; then becomes a vampire movie; then becomes an end of the world zombie flick before changing back into a scifi movie at the end.

Screenplay by Dan OBannon no less, the year after Return of the Living Dead :)

Who also wrote my current tribute to Roy Scheider, 'Blue Thunder'...

Danny
12-Feb-2008, 09:53 PM

coudlnt make it 20 mins in, outlandish special effects couldnt save somethign that seemed to be more for a elvira crowd for me.

clanglee
13-Feb-2008, 12:56 AM
coudlnt make it 20 mins in, outlandish special effects couldnt save somethign that seemed to be more for a elvira crowd for me.

What? No!! Life Force is one of my favorites of all time. You really need to watch the whole thing Hell. It gets better and better, and the end is awesome!!

Neil
13-Feb-2008, 08:31 AM

But she was like naked for the entire film :)

clanglee
13-Feb-2008, 09:38 AM

Exactly!!!!!!!:D

MinionZombie
15-Feb-2008, 05:54 PM
Just watched 30 Days of Night...wasn't expecting anything any which way and didn't really read anything at all about it...and what can I say except...

WHAT A COMPLETE LOAD OF RUBBISH!

Absolute crap, not quite as atrocious as Ghey08, but it's was pathetic. It made absolutely no sense at all, and did anyone else feel that huge chunks of the film were just missing? Like people just end up somewhere.

And also - these have to be the THICKEST vampires in existence. You've got a month, all this time, and a pokey little town. Do you use your blood sniffing powers? No. Do you split up and search all the houses? No.

You sit on your arse looking absolutely confused and then just stare slightly off camera for 2 hours.

ABSOLUTE CRAP.

Mike70
15-Feb-2008, 06:07 PM

indeed. not a stitch of clothing to be seen anywhere and she had few to zero lines- in fact i don't think she talks at all, been awhile since i watched this though so i could be wrong.

a woman who is naked all the time and doesn't talk...hmmmm:evil:

oh and by the way the book it is based on "space vampires" by colin wilson and has a very lovecrafty feel to it.

ZombieGrrL
20-Mar-2008, 02:06 AM
but i for one liked a movie were vampires were jsut monsters ,none of this underworld emo fantasy bollox yknow?, just vampires showing up in the dark and doing what they do.Abso-bloody-lutely hellsing! 30DON may not be the best vampire movie, but it's about time that another VAMPIRE movie was made.

Unfortunately they are far and few between now-a-days. Instead we have the crazy music, kinky underground sex, wannabe euro-goth/emo/victorian CRAP that most of those so called "vampire" movies are filled with. They bore me to tears now, it's like, shut the hell up and suck some damn blood will ya, you're a vampire for godsake!

Danny
20-Mar-2008, 02:26 AM
very true, i blame interview with a vampire, great film but it really invigorated the whole regency dandy fop thing were vampires were like a cross between russel brand and marylin manson. wereas they were origionally seen as this barbaric shadow of the night to represent palgue in eastern europe or something count orlocke style, if you repalced the werewolves in dog soldiers with vampires that wouldve been what a vampire movie should be like, nowadays there usually just a way to get semi legitamate porn.
I enjoyed the comics but 30 days was fantastic, it had great pacing, was mostly faithful to the comic, though the ideas like a higher ranking one showing up and ordering them to burn the town becuase they were just thick savage vampires should have been included and the plot wouldve made more sense.
plus in the comic at the end one of the vampires is held captive in a house and reveals he is a membe rof the FBI, wich wold have perfectly explained the "well how did they expect to get away with it" plot hole.

but no, some people still want ladyboys that probably hang out with zed form pulp fivtion. :lol:

clanglee
20-Mar-2008, 02:53 AM
It was pretty good, but can someone explain to me why the vampires couldn't just speak English? Or even French, Russian, Greek. . whatever. What was that stupid language? Ancient Babylonian? Silly.

MinionZombie
20-Mar-2008, 11:22 AM
I like that it wasn't the whole emo/goff/dandy/twat vampire 'thing' in the film, and the idea of the film was neat, but it's just that...a neat idea with no bollocks to back it up.

The script was f*cking abysmal, I groaned many-a-time as I watched the film, nonsense actions, nonsense chunks of dialogue, huge plot holes, massive leaps in 'suspension of belief faith' needing to be taken ... those stupid 'blood beards' they were all sporting all the damn time that were ALWAYS fresh ... their stupid language ... that lead vampire who annoyed me cos I couldn't stop thinking of the Petshop Boys (someone pointed it out in Total Film and I've never lost that connection) ... the fact that the vampires do bugger all for a month and wait till the end of the 30 days to smoke out their prey ... the fact that they're just sh*t vampires, they practically do nothing and are so useless, they just stand around posing like Argos Additions catalog models.

*sigh*

As you might be able to surmise, I'm not a fan of 30 Days of Sh*te ... I mean my hatred of it is pretty subtle, so you might have to really dig deep into my assessment of it to find such a reaction. :p:D

MikePizzoff
20-Mar-2008, 11:45 AM
Do you use your blood sniffing powers? No. Do you split up and search all the houses? No.

Did we see the same version? Because in the movie I saw there was clearly a scene with both of these things going on in it.

From the other things you didn't like, I take it you don't read comic books? I felt the movie wasn't flawed because of certain things, but that it played out more like a comic book.

Also, they only have so much time. If they showed every day of the entire month, they'd have to cut the scenes so short and people would probably be far more annoyed.

Danny
20-Mar-2008, 02:03 PM
*slaps desk* exactamundo! :lol:

MinionZombie
20-Mar-2008, 04:35 PM
You don't have to show an entire day, you can easily show the passage of time with a short montage dissolving around the place, seeing the people in their hiding place moving around, food depleting and all sorts.

Well, if you can just sniff out blood - f*cking do it and you'll easily find your prey, you moronic vampires - but oh no, they're absolutely useless and they get nowhere in an entire MONTH. What are they doing? Just sitting around watching Lost Boys on video?

There's a wide shot of the town, it ain't that big. Split up, search each building - although again, use your blood sniffing powers and you'll soon pinpoint that attic - with windows - and there you go, prey ahoy - kill them, then be done with it.

As for playing out like a comic book - comic books play out like comic books, that doesn't work for movies - or incredibly rarely - and here it doesn't. It just comes off as a poorly written, uninspired bore-fest that's incredibly frustrating.

Comic books are a completely different medium, there was nowhere near enough common sense adaptation going on. Also, a comic book movie adaptation has to make sense to people who haven't read the comic book/graphic novel, or indeed might not read any at all.

I read some, but I'm not a comic book guy. I have the odd collection (an omnibus if you will), or the odd graphic novel, but as for reading I go for normal books (currently reading I Am Legend, which makes the Will Smith movie look like sh*t, there's so much awesome stuff in the book that was just cut out completely...*sigh*).

Anyway, that's all I can say about the movie, I thought it was a complete lacklustre piece of mediocre garbage.

Thank you and goodnight! :D

p2501
20-Mar-2008, 04:51 PM
ah montage eh?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-xBSfY01nMk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-xBSfY01nMk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Danny
20-Mar-2008, 05:32 PM
a montage?, oh dear, i thought those stopped being acceptible outside of comedy flicks about 15 years ago?

MinionZombie
20-Mar-2008, 08:31 PM
a montage?, oh dear, i thought those stopped being acceptible outside of comedy flicks about 15 years ago?
Oh for crying out loud. :rolleyes::bored::rolleyes: