PDA

View Full Version : Recomended zombie fiction list.

Legion2213
22-Oct-2007, 07:21 PM
I'd start the ball rolling but I've only just ordered my first two books (WWZ & the Book of the Dead...I also have several others in mind).

It would be nice to have a single thread dedicated to the best (published) zombie fiction out there as a guide for folks like myself who have only ever watched zombie movies but now crave a bit more in the form of books.

So, what do you recommend?

capncnut
22-Oct-2007, 08:20 PM
The Words of Their Roaring by Matthew Smith.

Legion2213
22-Oct-2007, 08:44 PM
The Words of Their Roaring by Matthew Smith.

I've actually got that on my amazon wish list. :D

Also marked out the "monster" series (monster island, nation & planet) by David Wellington.

Danny
22-Oct-2007, 10:28 PM
****IN' AUTUMN!!!

i cant pimp that enough, it rocks, the best zombie novel ive ever read, go to theinfected.co.uk (or com) and you can download it for free as a pdf, then get the set of 4 for 30 quid with no p and p. totally worth it.

and even though its not a zombie novel im currently rereading another novel by david moody called straight to you in which a guy meets the woman of his dreams just as the sun goes nova, the world around him dies, everyone knows theres nothing to save them, but still he battles his way north to find her again before the end, bloody fantastic scifi novel.;)

ProfessorChaos
22-Oct-2007, 10:35 PM
well, you're gonna love both books you've already ordered. i would also recommend book of the dead 2:still dead and the third in that series, mondo zombie. the mammoth book of zombies. the dawn of the dead novelization is worth a read, too.

UndeadAnthology
23-Oct-2007, 04:26 AM
I'm biased, but anything from Permuted Press (http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/R2Z1PAJRQQCTRH/ref=tag_tdp_rb_elst/103-9690016-5863003) is good. :)

Skydog
04-Nov-2007, 08:49 AM
I just finished Dying to Live by Kim Paffenroth, it's a pretty good zombie novel with well written characters. I'm about halfway through Words of Their Roaring, it's a bit different than your average zombie story, but it's damn good so far.

Each of the below are really good, unique in their own way and worth the money you're going to pay for them.

Plauge of the Dead by ZA Recht
S.E.A.T by J. Andrew Corbett
Twilight of the Dead by Travis Atkins
The Autumn Novels
Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne
Deadlands by Scott A Johnson
Dead City by Joe McKinney
Dead Rising / City of the Dead by Brian Keene

The only one I'd say stay clear of for sure is Aftermath of the Dead, by Gregory Smith, choppy story, terrible pacing, paper thin characters, terrible spelling and editing make it not just one of the worst z-books I've read but one of the worst books I've ever read. Which is a shame because the guy had a good story idea, just horrible execution.

capncnut
04-Nov-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm biased, but anything from Permuted Press (http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/R2Z1PAJRQQCTRH/ref=tag_tdp_rb_elst/103-9690016-5863003) is good. :)
Indeed, Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht is pretty damned good.

wyvern1096
06-Nov-2007, 09:14 PM
"The Night Boat" by Robert McCammon. One of the best zombie novels I've ever read.