PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360: Premium, Elite or Halo Edition?

ProfessorChaos
29-Oct-2007, 08:45 AM
Okay, so I'm about to pick up a 360 within the next week or so, and I'm pretty set on the Elite model. I am mainly interested in the Elite due to my HDTV and the included HDMI cable, the 120gb hard-drive, and the wireless controller.

However, I am still hearing horror stories about these things overheating, even the new Elite models, and many are saying the Premium package is the way to go instead, as there is no sense in wasting an extra hundred bucks. As for the Premium, I know that this version only has a 20gb hard-drive and no HDMI cable included. It does have the wireless controller, though. The Halo Edition also doesn't have an included HDMI cable, and its hard-drive is only 20gb, but comes with a wireless controller plus the plug n play kit.

Money really isn't that big of an issue, but I don't want to waste any $$$ unnecessarily. Is the Elite model really worth it? Do I really need that much more memory? I know that if I don't get the Elite, I may have to shell out addtional $$$ for an HDMI cable. If I don't get the Halo Edition, I'll need to pick up a plug n play kit.

I want to leave the store with a 360, Dead Rising, and Halo 3 and a wireless headset. If I just got the Premium, I could do this much sooner....:rockbrow:

So my questions are these: which version of the system do you guys own? If you were in my shoes, which route would you take? Is the extra memory really worth it? Do any of you own an HDTV and just use the HD AV component/composite cables?

Thanks in advance for your help, brothers.:cool:

MinionZombie
29-Oct-2007, 11:16 AM
I own the Core Console, because it suited my needs. I don't play online (nor would I actually be able to come to think of it, something to do with the type of internet connection required, I duno...)

Anyway, I just wanted it for single player games to continue my gaming as my PC had finally been overtaken with the next gen coming along (or 2 players in the same room).

I don't have a HDTV, so I just use the normal red-white-yellow leads.

If you're not going to be downloading a shedload of stuff from Live, then a 20gig one should be fine I'd have thought. I'd generally go with what's recommended, but I don't really know anything about the Elite version anyway to be honest. Surely a separate HDMI cable isn't that expensive.

Basically, just think about what you'll really be using the console for, and then see which package best suits your needs. It's what I did and I made the right choice for me.

Danny
29-Oct-2007, 12:24 PM
i recommend the halo one since its cheaper than the elite, but theres no cahnce its a refurbished one thats been traded in.

capncnut
29-Oct-2007, 03:42 PM
Elite or Halo. The Elite is jet black and looks way cooler IMO.

MikePizzoff
29-Oct-2007, 04:12 PM
If you feel like taking a huge risk, then buy one. If you do buy one, then go with the Elite because they're less of a risk, apparently. I hear the fail rate of the systems is ONE IN THREE. Which does not surprise me, seeing as I've had two break on me, another friend has had one break, and another friend has gone through FIVE; these are all within a years time.

Microsoft did a horrible job with this console. If the Elite versions of the 360 fail just as much as the others, then I really have lost the last little bit of respect for them.

slickwilly13
29-Oct-2007, 06:43 PM
I have the premium version, because at the time there was only 2 to choose from. Halo edition is a waste of money in my opinion. For a little more you can get the elite version. If not, save your money and get the premium.

Danny
29-Oct-2007, 07:22 PM
true, over here i think the halo one is only 20 quid less than an elite.

...or 20 quid more than a premium.

slickwilly13
29-Oct-2007, 09:51 PM
Oh yeah, get some rechargeable batteries.

Danny
29-Oct-2007, 09:55 PM
^ id go for the 15 quid charger pack myself.

capncnut
29-Oct-2007, 10:03 PM
Actually, I got my Elite a couple of months ago and I've just changed the batteries for the first time. But yeah, I guess the charger is well worth it in the long run.

Skippy911sc
30-Oct-2007, 12:48 AM
I boughta premium the day it came out and have not had a problem with it...knock on wood. I do a little gaming online but due to bandwidth restrictions I do not download as much as I would like to. I would go for the elite for the simple reason of HDMI and 120 Gig HD... why buy something that is already the last model why not buy the 2008 version ;)

Good Luck

BTW you must try dead rising!!!

darth los
30-Oct-2007, 01:38 AM
I boughta premium the day it came out and have not had a problem with it...knock on wood. I do a little gaming online but due to bandwidth restrictions I do not download as much as I would like to. I would go for the elite for the simple reason of HDMI and 120 Gig HD... why buy something that is already the last model why not buy the 2008 version ;)

Good Luck

I've been lucky. I got pro 360 at launch and have never had any problems (knock on wood). You sorta, kinda have to do that so you don't jinx it. lol :p

ProfessorChaos
30-Oct-2007, 04:08 AM

trust me, skip: dead rising is the first game i'm playin when i get home that day.:D

capncnut
30-Oct-2007, 04:10 AM
trust me, skip: dead rising is the first game i'm playin when i get home that day.:D
Thank goodness you have a HD TV 'cos the text is a bizatch!

DeadJonas190
30-Oct-2007, 06:18 AM
I say the Halo edition, it is made with the new Falcon chip and it is less likely to overheat. IT does come with the HD component cable, but not the HDMI cables that you want.

Plus it comes with a headset and the charge and play kit. It is not the wireless headset, but it is much more comfortable than the wirelss headset. The wireless headset has a clip that attaches to your ear that is terribley uncomfortable much like those blue tooth cell phone headsets.

The downside of the Halo edition, it comes with 10 gigs already loaded up with Halo stuff. It's easy to delete and honestly 20gb total is more than enough unless your going to keep every single demo you download (there aren't a lot of game patches).

The elite is supposed to be made with the better chipset too and up until I read this post I did not hear of any of them failing, in fact, the guy at Gamestop told me they have never had a return on a single elite unit at the store he is at... of course he didn't tell me how many they had sold so it could have been they havent sold many.

SO basically, do you want sweet Black Xbox 360 or a cool looking Millitary Green and Gold Xbox360?

Danny
30-Oct-2007, 06:55 AM
I've been lucky. I got pro 360 at launch and have never had any problems (knock on wood). You sorta, kinda have to do that so you don't jinx it. lol :p

on that note 10 days till my premium one gets back from repair.:lol:

MinionZombie
30-Oct-2007, 11:07 AM
Thank goodness you have a HD TV 'cos the text is a bizatch!
lol, don't I know it. I've spent a few minutes squinting at the text and just didn't bother with the story, instead I just ran around and slaughtered zombies - I had a lot of fun. :D Played it through 3 times like that so far.

Skippy911sc
30-Oct-2007, 06:35 PM
No sooner did I write a response when Blam!!! Red ring of death...It is working again...but I don't think I want to discuss this stuff anymore... ;)

Danny
30-Oct-2007, 09:00 PM
if its working again that just means the power wasnt plugged in all the way. i wouldnt worry, its when it starts to freeze on games and doovde's thats when you gotta worry.

Andy
30-Oct-2007, 11:43 PM
I Say premium, ive had mine for well over a year now and never once had a problem, the elite and the halo ones look tacky to me, i dunno what it is but the xbox looks wrong in black.

Danny
31-Oct-2007, 12:24 AM
i dunno, ive kinda warmed to the halo editions colour scheme, still dont care for the elite ones.

and those blue and pink controllers are just tacky.

ProfessorChaos
03-Nov-2007, 04:02 AM
decided against all the extra memory, as i am not that hardcore of a gamer. i ended up getting a premium or pro model, whatever you call it.

i'm just about to play dead rising, after i get my mind lubed up here in a jiff, then my buddy is coming by tomorrow to let me borrow halo3 until i get my own copy on monday. since i am a total moron about wireless routers, etc. he'll be helping me get that set up, too.

i should be online within a day or two, so i'll be sure to post all my shiznit up so we can hang out and you guys can stomp my noob ass all over halo3 within the next few days.