PDA

View Full Version : Shaun of the Dead in top 25 Horror Films

DjfunkmasterG
30-Oct-2007, 09:25 AM
http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1676793_1676808,00.html?cnn=yes

bassman
30-Oct-2007, 12:08 PM
This doesn't make much sense to me. I've never considered Shaun a horror film....

AcesandEights
30-Oct-2007, 12:17 PM
Well, that was certainly a rarefied and interesting list.

ProfessorChaos
30-Oct-2007, 12:22 PM
glad to see that night of the living dead also made the list.:D

i'm kinda perplexed that :confused:bambi:confused: made the cut on this one, though, even more than i'm puzzled how shaun of the dead made it.

similarly, msn released their halloween-time listing of top ten horror movies of all time, and night of the living dead was ranked #3. killer. not a single movie on that list is any less than 23 years old, however, which i think speaks volumes about the types of movies that have been coming out recently.:rockbrow:

Skippy911sc
30-Oct-2007, 04:24 PM
I would say that my definition of Horror is much much different than this guys...

Some of these titles I wouldn't even classify as horror...or good movies.

Red Dragon...Horror????

I like the movie...sort of ...I thought the original was a little better.

This list is total $hit

acealive1
31-Oct-2007, 12:31 AM
very nice rating by them as it actually had a story and yea it is a horror film. its just what the normal person would probably do during this. whats with the rest of the subpar list though? red dragon? how was that horror??

Legion2213
31-Oct-2007, 01:55 AM
Hmm, Shaun is a fantastic zombie movie and it deserves a ton of credit, but it ain't a horror movie by any stretch of the imagination...:confused:

acealive1
31-Oct-2007, 02:50 AM
Hmm, Shaun is a fantastic zombie movie and it deserves a ton of credit, but it ain't a horror movie by any stretch of the imagination...:confused:

its a zom com :D

bassman
31-Oct-2007, 12:32 PM
its a zom com :D

A Rom-zom-com, actually.:p

DubiousComforts
31-Oct-2007, 01:01 PM
Wholeheartedly agree with you, sir. Just chalk it up to media outlets like TIME having nothing better to do than compose fluff pieces that attempt to confine movies into a neat little "horror" box simply because it's Halloween.

_liam_
31-Oct-2007, 01:16 PM
it is a horror movie, you guys are just jaded ;) its as much a horror as evil dead 2 or beetlejuice

bassman
31-Oct-2007, 01:20 PM
it is a horror movie, you guys are just jaded ;) its as much a horror as evil dead 2 or beetlejuice

Those are both comedy....

_liam_
31-Oct-2007, 01:29 PM
Those are both comedy....

I know, but only as much as "aliens" is an action film - can you see what i mean?

bassman
31-Oct-2007, 01:51 PM
I know, but only as much as "aliens" is an action film - can you see what i mean?

I'm sorry...but i'm lost. I haven't had my coffee this morning. Aliens is an action film...

acealive1
01-Nov-2007, 12:58 AM
A Rom-zom-com, actually.:p

*sighs* COCK IT!

darth los
01-Nov-2007, 01:17 AM
This doesn't make much sense to me. I've never considered Shaun a horror film....

It's funny that you say that. Imo, if they criteria for something being a horror film is that it actually scare you, then the films in recent years like saw etc. don't fit the bill. It's rare when a film does that anymore. :(

Skippy911sc
01-Nov-2007, 02:39 PM
Aren't the New movies like saw and hostel more liken to Torture pRon??

They have the new genre Like those Toxic Avenger movies?? I remember when those started to be produced and it was who could make the most disgusting special effects...plot second...then acting. I am not knocking those movies I loved them but I find my ability to tolerate the new torture genre a little more like the ability to watch romantic-comedies. Not that theres anything wrong with them ;)

Legion2213
01-Nov-2007, 04:15 PM
Aren't the New movies like saw and hostel more liken to Torture pRon??

They have the new genre Like those Toxic Avenger movies?? I remember when those started to be produced and it was who could make the most disgusting special effects...plot second...then acting. I am not knocking those movies I loved them but I find my ability to tolerate the new torture genre a little more like the ability to watch romantic-comedies. Not that theres anything wrong with them ;)

SAW 1 was an excellent movie just for the pay-off at the end...I refuse to go and see sh!te like Hostel and the like...violence for violence sake (usually against women). Fvck that....not my scene.

If you want genuine horror these days, look at some of the J-Horror stuff...The Ringu series, The Eye, The Grudge, Audition, Dark Water etc.

And just to clarify, I have no problem with violent movies, I just like a fairly decent reason for said violence...something I can connect and identify with.

bassman
01-Nov-2007, 04:17 PM
SAW 1 was an excellent movie just for the pay-off at the end...I refuse to go and see sh!te like Hostel and the like...violence for violence sake (usually against women). Fvck that....not my scene.

If you want genuine horror these days, look at some of the J-Horror stuff...The Ringu series, The Eye, The Grudge, Audition, Dark Water etc.

And just to clarify, I have no problem with violent movies, I just like a fairly decent reason for said violence...something I can connect and identify with.

I agree with the first Saw being a pretty good movie....but The Grudge??? Are you friggin kidding me? What's scary about pale kids crawling on the floor?:lol: That movie is a joke to me....

Legion2213
01-Nov-2007, 04:27 PM
Bass, I just meant that Jap Horror is generally more disturbing than hollywood buckets 'o blood horror.

DjfunkmasterG
01-Nov-2007, 06:15 PM
I think Shaun could fit the horror bill, especially when the tides turn and they are surrounded by zombies, an he has to shoot his mum, and watch Harry potter being drawn and quartered.

bassman
01-Nov-2007, 06:33 PM
I think Shaun could fit the horror bill, especially when the tides turn and they are surrounded by zombies, an he has to shoot his mum, and watch Harry potter being drawn and quartered.

I would personally still consider those scenes comedic. There is the brief moment of sadness when Shaun's mom dies, but then the comedy of "You're the one that's gone from being a chartered accountant to Charlton Heston" comes out of it. And with Harry Potter;), after he gets ripped apart, Britney Spears takes his leg and runs into the crowd swinging.

That's all comedy to me. I think they classified it as horror just for the simple fact that it has zombies in it.

SRP76
01-Nov-2007, 11:53 PM
I didn't like Shaun of the Dead. And I don't get behind "it's a comedy", either; I didn't find it funny one bit. I guess I just don't have the same sense of humor as the guys who made it.

But, with a Top 25 list, there has to be some "filler". Can anyone honestly make a Top 25 horror movie list?! I sure can't. I can get to 10 - maybe - then I start having to think long and hard to come up with another to put on.

bassman
02-Nov-2007, 01:52 AM
I didn't like Shaun of the Dead. And I don't get behind "it's a comedy", either; I didn't find it funny one bit. I guess I just don't have the same sense of humor as the guys who made it.

But, with a Top 25 list, there has to be some "filler". Can anyone honestly make a Top 25 horror movie list?! I sure can't. I can get to 10 - maybe - then I start having to think long and hard to come up with another to put on.

There are some Americans that done't "get" the british comedy, and I can understand that. But to say that it's not funny is a stretch.

Considering that IMDB is a world-wide database and Shaun is in the top 200, I would say that most of the world understands what Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright were going for.

- Comedy.

That's what they do. They were making a comedy and referencing some of their favorite movies.

darth los
02-Nov-2007, 02:01 AM

Well british humor is an aquired tatse you know. At first i didn't like monty python or benny hill. However, i have learned to appreciate the humor and inow consider them 2 of the funniest shows i've ever seen.

Chakobsa
05-Nov-2007, 11:51 PM
You know what? bollocks to lists, especially that one. It looked to me as if it was compiled by some lazy hack who may have actually watched a couple of films and trawled the rest of his data from the net.
It reminds me of those appalling compilation CDs designed by and for people who don't actually like music.

EvilNed
06-Nov-2007, 03:28 PM
Bass, I just meant that Jap Horror is generally more disturbing than hollywood buckets 'o blood horror.

Japanese horror has developed clichés all of it's own. People only seem to like it because it's "Japanese" these days. Michael Hanekes films are ten times as disturbing as those films. He's austrian, tho, so Hollywood doesn't get any bonus points.