PDA

View Full Version : An American Spaced????

bassman
30-Oct-2007, 12:45 PM
This is a friggin horrible idea.....

http://latinoreview.com/news/spaced-coming-to-america-3181

Why not at least release the f*cking original show on DVD in America before you try to rip it off?!? Damn, this pisses me off. And the guy that's writing it is the guy behind "Will and Grace".:annoyed::hurl:

MinionZombie
30-Oct-2007, 01:55 PM
Ug, if it even gets beyond a pilot, it'll suck balls, it'll no doubt be gargling in them.

Indeed, release the proper version, because it's the ONLY version. You can't remake a show like Spaced, it's unlike any other show. It's not like something like The Office or Coupling where there are identifiable thematic elements, and the styles are way out there, but with Spaced it's unlike anything else.

But then again, there's a distinct lack of imagination and originality in American media of late.

_liam_
30-Oct-2007, 03:37 PM
Well, it's obvious what most people will have to say about this, but nevertheless... bollocks to that idea

Danny
30-Oct-2007, 04:59 PM
err, could you imagine an american version?, canned laughter, washed up pop stars doing cameos and really bad acting? :hurl: anyone eve rsee the pilot for the remake of re ddwarf which still used the proper actors in the opening credits:dead:

MinionZombie
30-Oct-2007, 06:29 PM
Oh my GAR, the American Red Dwarf pilot was cock-bendingly bad. That Bierko or whatever his name is bloke is alright in my book, but the show itself - just no no no.

I can't remember which series of UK RD it was, but on the DVD for it they did a whole bit about the American pilot and showed a bunch of clips (I ended up downloading the actual pilot from t'internet). Thank heavens they never took it to series, the original show is the f*cking Daddy, nuff said.

Yojimbo
01-Nov-2007, 02:23 AM
As an American, I offer my apologies to my UK brothers who once again have to endure another USA show ripped off from them. The Hollywood system embarrasses me on some level much more than the fumblings of our political system.

As a media consumer, I fart in the general direction of Hollywood and the entire stupid mainstream entertainment system which cannot seem to come up with original ideas and instead mines the UK, the EU and Asia for things to rip off and adapt into an inferior American version. Or trolls old hit movies for possible "reimaginings" Oh, the humanity!

Danny
01-Nov-2007, 01:19 PM
meh, im just not keen on us comedy anymore, i find myself watchign stuff like mythbusters, american chopper or ghost hunters and the like more often now.

bassman
01-Nov-2007, 01:52 PM
i find myself watchign stuff like mythbusters

I'm friggin addicted to that show.

Skippy911sc
01-Nov-2007, 02:50 PM
I managed to Tivo 13 episodes of spaced from BBC America and Loved it!!!

I have been waiting for the rest of the shows...but nothing has been released...

I just saw they are releasing kenny vs. spenny in my country now...I enjoyed the original of course on BBC America and I don't know if the original caste is in the us version but it will not be as good...I can just feel it.

MinionZombie
01-Nov-2007, 03:07 PM
Spaced only ran for 2 series, both were 7 episodes long.

So 14 episodes was as long as it went for.

bassman
01-Nov-2007, 03:53 PM
I managed to Tivo 13 episodes of spaced from BBC America and Loved it!!!

I have been waiting for the rest of the shows...but nothing has been released...

I just saw they are releasing kenny vs. spenny in my country now...I enjoyed the original of course on BBC America and I don't know if the original caste is in the us version but it will not be as good...I can just feel it.

That's how I first saw Spaced, as well.

You can actually see the entire series on Youtube....

Legion2213
01-Nov-2007, 05:18 PM
err, could you imagine an american version?, canned laughter, washed up pop stars doing cameos and really bad acting? :hurl: anyone eve rsee the pilot for the remake of re ddwarf which still used the proper actors in the opening credits:dead:

There were actually two pilots of Dwarf USA...and as folk are fond of saying round here "it slurped balls" (x2) or whatever. :D

(I own the entire series of RD...****ing classic!!!). :cool:

MinionZombie
01-Nov-2007, 06:38 PM
*high five*

You've got the entire DVD collection all lined up so it spells the title as well?

Yeaaaaah...:cool:

And yes, it is an awesome show.

bassman
01-Nov-2007, 06:54 PM
On Edgar Wright's page, he's calling for the American version of Spaced be labeled as "McSpaced".:lol:

Legion2213
01-Nov-2007, 08:12 PM
*high five*

You've got the entire DVD collection all lined up so it spells the title as well?

Of course I have...anything less would be obscene my friend! :D

Doc
01-Nov-2007, 10:39 PM
All I have to say is awww.....f**k:mad:

bassman
03-Mar-2008, 06:37 PM
Well....it's official. McSpaced is on...

You can read about it, as well as opinions from Wright abd Pegg, HERE (http://joblo.com/mcspaced-still-on).

:annoyed:

Kaos
03-Mar-2008, 06:43 PM
It is doomed to failure just like the American version AbFab.

SymphonicX
03-Mar-2008, 06:46 PM
As an American, I offer my apologies to my UK brothers who once again have to endure another USA show ripped off from them. The Hollywood system embarrasses me on some level much more than the fumblings of our political system.

As a media consumer, I fart in the general direction of Hollywood and the entire stupid mainstream entertainment system which cannot seem to come up with original ideas and instead mines the UK, the EU and Asia for things to rip off and adapt into an inferior American version. Or trolls old hit movies for possible "reimaginings" Oh, the humanity!

hahaha great post....we don't hate you for it!

bassman
03-Mar-2008, 06:53 PM
hahaha great post....we don't hate you for it!

You should. We do.:p

p2501
04-Mar-2008, 12:47 AM
Oh my GAR, the American Red Dwarf pilot was cock-bendingly bad. That Bierko or whatever his name is bloke is alright in my book, but the show itself - just no no no.

I can't remember which series of UK RD it was, but on the DVD for it they did a whole bit about the American pilot and showed a bunch of clips (I ended up downloading the actual pilot from t'internet). Thank heavens they never took it to series, the original show is the f*cking Daddy, nuff said.
wait i'm sorry. there was an american redo of Red Dwarf?

when the hell did this happen?

Mike70
04-Mar-2008, 01:07 AM
wait i'm sorry. there was an american redo of Red Dwarf?

when the hell did this happen?

yes there was and be very glad (for your continued mental stability) that you missed it. it sucked in ways that vanessa del rio would've found interesting.

i believe that this was done in the early 90s or so.

here is a link complete with some pics o'the cast.

http://www.thereddwarfzone.co.uk/usa.htm

p2501
04-Mar-2008, 01:24 AM
oh FFS why ?

why internet jeebus, why?

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2008, 08:25 AM
oh FFS why ?

why internet jeebus, why?
Because he caught you touching yourself. :lol:

Craig
04-Mar-2008, 12:46 PM
There's a certain amount of realism in English comedy (even in a show like Spaced) that I've never seen in an American show. It seems that creators, writers and even actors in the UK have a much more personal connection with their work, which is definitely true when it comes to Spaced.

Whereas, I know I'm clutching at stereotypes, but in the US there's Hollywood and all the other big budget companies behind the entertainment industry meaning only shows that will appeal to the mainstream audience and boost ratings will get a lot of support.

I'm also big fan of The Office and I hate the way it was mangled for the US audience, despite how many people, American and English, who lapped it up.

This is not just true of comedy of course, most English films I've seen are much grittier and/or realistic. In fact any minority in entertainment, foreign films, independent films etc. are usually influenced more by real life than anything Hollywood would ever dare to portray.

And the less said about the US Red Dwarf the better.

Mike70
04-Mar-2008, 01:39 PM
and[/I] English, who lapped it up.

god the american version of the office yuck one of the most unfunny things i have ever seen. dour, joyless, idiotic.

i don't watch much network tv (reaper and supernatural is about it) but my wife starting watching 30 rock and i found to my amazment that i liked it quite a bit.

well she got the office just to check it out and we both hated it with a passion. it sucks really, really bad in my opinion. it just seems bland and morose. one of the major problems with me is steve carrel (sp?) whom i cannot stand at all and think is one of the least funny people in comedy.

bassman
18-Mar-2008, 01:34 PM
I've never seen The Office(original or remake), but AT LEAST the people behind the remake had the courtesy to involve the original's creators to some extent.

Anywho.....

HERE (http://www.collider.com/entertainment/reviews/article.asp/aid/7293/tcid/1) you can find a review of the pilot episode script. I'm a bit surprised at the direction they took, actually.:rant:

MinionZombie
18-Mar-2008, 02:29 PM
Sounds like uninspired gash to me.

Spaced is so tied to the three key creative minds, those actors, that crew and this country (Britain). A remake can suck on my balls, Sir. :lol:

Mike70
18-Mar-2008, 03:36 PM
Because he caught you touching yourself. :lol:

i'm sorry internet jeebus.:lol:

anyway, i have no real interested in seeing spaced (a terrific and very funny show) get butt raped by an american tv network. this is one i'll be avoiding like a bum on the street who is scratching at fleas.

Bruiser235
23-Mar-2008, 03:48 AM
Why does America have to steal superior foreign tv shows/movies and try to pass them off as original fare for an ignorant, uncaring populace? Wait, I think I just answered my own question...RATINGS AND MONEY. :annoyed:

bassman
09-Apr-2008, 03:16 PM
I didn't think it needed a new thread, so I just posted it in here. It looks like the US is definitely going to be getting the proper DVD treatment of Spaced in July. I don't know about the original UK release, but this US release has got some pretty awesome commentaries that may make some of you fans in the UK do a double dip.

This is quoted from Wright's page:

Patton just did 3 commentaries with me on Tuesday for the new SPACED DVD - hitting North America this July.

Also featuring on the commentary tracks along with me, Simon and Jessica are Quentin Tarantino, Matt Stone, Kevin Smith, Bill Hader and one Diablo Cody.

That’s some line up.

The new DVD will feature all 14 episodes with no music changes (!), all the extras from the UK 3 disc set, plus a great video of our NFT SPACED marathon. And new artwork from Jim Murray.

Expect a press release very soon.

Nice to be sharing good news again...

Edgar

(*(cough) Saw IRON MAN (cough) It’s awesome (cough)...)

At least we got that going for us. But still.....f*ck Mcspaced.

MinionZombie
09-Apr-2008, 05:59 PM
F*ck McSpaced!

I hope those commentaries, erm, appear somewhere...:sneaky:

I already have both series on DVD, as well as the 3rd disc separately.

Those commentaries sound like they should be good, but I wonder if the original ones will be included, those were awesome, I've listened to the commentaries on both series at least twice each already. A real matey atmosphere, and they're genuinely entertaining to just sit and listen to - they also make you chuckle like that laughing baby on YouTube. :D

'bout time the USA is getting a proper release of Spaced!

bassman
14-May-2008, 03:06 PM
Good things do still happen in this country....

McSpaced has apparently been axed : http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/primetime-pilot-panic-fox-nixes-spaced/

Now I just have to wait a wee bit longer for the US release of the original series and all is right in the World.

Next they'll try to make a US Monty Python's Flying Circus or something.:|

Danny
14-May-2008, 06:03 PM
thank the flying spaghetti monster.

AcesandEights
14-May-2008, 08:49 PM
Hmmm, that kind of sucks. I was actually being open-minded about the whole thing.

Danny
15-May-2008, 12:39 AM
Hmmm, that kind of sucks. I was actually being open-minded about the whole thing.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/120px-Worf_notagain.gif

bassman
04-Mar-2010, 12:00 PM
Want to see what this american spaced would've been?

Somehow Simon Pegg recently got his hands on the pilot and posted it up so the world could see what travesty was diverted. My god....

YDsdBB1LUto&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1

Is that Will f*cking Sasso from MadTv????

Danny
04-Mar-2010, 12:18 PM
saw it yesterday, got about 40 seconds in, grimaced and closed the window and cleared my history.:barf:

AcesandEights
04-Mar-2010, 02:10 PM
This is a friggin horrible idea.....

I love it!

High five?

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2010, 02:58 PM
saw it yesterday, got about 40 seconds in, grimaced and closed the window and cleared my history.:barf:
I suffered through the entire clip.

Suffered being the prominent word in that sentence.

If you ever needed an example of an American network/group not getting a British piece of entertainment, this is it.

This is also a powerful argument against remakes full stop.

Amazingly there was one bit I liked, a very small bit ... *sigh* ... "Bill" (next to his mate "Ben" :rolleyes:) 'shoots' people in the restaurant with his 'hand gun' ... ... the only reason I got a snifter of mirth from that brief moment is that it would have been funny on it's own, like in a stand-up routine I mean - referencing Spaced and nothing more ... sadly it happened to be a part of all this bullshit. I mean wtf.

Danny
04-Mar-2010, 03:22 PM
If you ever needed an example of an American network/group not getting a British piece of entertainment, this is it.

This is also a powerful argument against remakes full stop.

did you black out the american red dwarf?

honestly, did you black it out? i wouldnt be surprised.

bassman
04-Mar-2010, 04:35 PM
Why is Brian spanish all of a sudden? And I really wish we could see Marsha. I bet it would have been hilarious. In the worst way possible.

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2010, 05:19 PM
did you black out the american red dwarf?

honestly, did you black it out? i wouldnt be surprised.

heh - another prime example for something just not being properly thought out. Indeed on one of the DVDs for one of the series (forget which now), but the guys from the actual show discuss the filming and pre-production and final product of the American Red Dwarf, as well as showing some bits from it (if not the entire pilot, I forget) ... and yeah ... it was bad, and pointless.

I think McSpaced is even worse, which is saying something. It's just phenomenal how poorly they judged that, and just goes to show that those writing, directing and producing that shit aren't as smart in the head department as the original crew - thus leading to total embarrassment.

Tricky
04-Mar-2010, 05:28 PM
Sorry to you Americans on this board, but why cant Americans just enjoy British programs, music videos & films without having to rebrand & remake them to be more US friendly? I mean we all speak the same language so why bother? Or are a lot of americans (not you guys on here, you seem more accepting of us Brits) too ignorant to learn a bit about British culture so they can enjoy our humour & way of life?

DjfunkmasterG
04-Mar-2010, 08:52 PM
Want to see what this american spaced would've been?

Somehow Simon Pegg recently got his hands on the pilot and posted it up so the world could see what travesty was diverted. My god....

YDsdBB1LUto&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1

Is that Will f*cking Sasso from MadTv????

Bassman, you should be banned or at least suspended for posting such putrid stuff. (just kidding)

I only watched a few episodes of the original Spaced, and while I didn't care for it... THIS, THIS IS PURE GARBAGE!

Craig
04-Mar-2010, 11:18 PM
I thought it was pretty good.

Legion2213
06-Mar-2010, 07:09 PM
Sorry to you Americans on this board, but why cant Americans just enjoy British programs, music videos & films without having to rebrand & remake them to be more US friendly? I mean we all speak the same language so why bother? Or are a lot of americans (not you guys on here, you seem more accepting of us Brits) too ignorant to learn a bit about British culture so they can enjoy our humour & way of life?

It seems that most Americans when asked would rather see the real thing (certainly seems that way to me anyway). It's "the suits" who think otherwaise (and Hell, thats how they keep themselves in work I suppose...more money for them by remaking stuff than just buying it).

bassman
06-Mar-2010, 07:43 PM
It seems that most Americans when asked would rather see the real thing (certainly seems that way to me anyway). It's "the suits" who think otherwaise (and Hell, thats how they keep themselves in work I suppose...more money for them by remaking stuff than just buying it).

Yeah, out of all of the friends i've shown Spaced to, they all loved it and thought an American remake would never work. Anyone with half a brain could see that Spaced is one of those lightning in a bottle situations that could never be recreated by another group of people. It's just the greedy money men that want to cash in on the name even if it's a sub par product. McG must be one of those. And I think we all know how creative that guy is. :rolleyes:

Spaced actually has quite a large following here in the states. Before it was finally released on R1 dvd last year you could buy bootlegs under the tables at conventions. I think it's only aired twice and it was late night programming that most people missed. Yet somehow the show is pretty well known. Shaun only helped the popularity of Spaced, as well.

Danny
06-Mar-2010, 07:53 PM
all you americans now have homework for the week, go watch brass eye, alan partridge and the league of gentlemen to edumacte thyself.

Legion2213
06-Mar-2010, 10:59 PM
all you americans now have homework for the week, go watch brass eye, alan partridge and the league of gentlemen to edumacte thyself.

I'm adding Berry & Fulchers "Snuff Box" to that list (for added strangeness). :)

http://www.mustardweb.org/snuffbox/snuffbox.png

Danny
06-Mar-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm adding Berry & Fulchers "Snuff Box" to that list (for added strangeness). :)

http://www.mustardweb.org/snuffbox/snuffbox.png

what is this and why have i not heard of a show starring dr sanchez and bobby-bob-bob?!?

Legion2213
07-Mar-2010, 01:16 AM
what is this...

It's deeply fucked up...and the DVD is only £7 from amazon.co.uk

Honestly though, it was shown only once by the BBC (at a silly hour on BBC 3) and those of us who saw it could never unsee it. :stunned:

You obviously enjoy dark, warped, bizarre commedy (judging by your homework list), I believe you will enjoy it greatly. :)