View Full Version : the thread to end all land threads

Danny
31-Oct-2007, 04:06 PM
so for my frst, adn probably only, land thread its a simply poll, is land a good movie> yes or no, simple, jus to see once and for all what the overall general view on the forum is, as a horror movie on its own is it good or does it suck?, im not talking about comparing to dawn 04 or something, jsut on its own is it good?:sneaky:

capncnut
31-Oct-2007, 04:10 PM
Yes, of course. I'll say it one more time, it wasn't the best by a long shot but it's still far from a turd.

darth los
31-Oct-2007, 04:16 PM
so for my frst, adn probably only, land thread its a simply poll, is land a good movie> yes or no, simple, jus to see once and for all what the overall general view on the forum is, as a horror movie on its own is it good or does it suck?, im not talking about comparing to dawn 04 or something, jsut on its own is it good?:sneaky:

It's well known that i don't like land. However, it is true that while it's the least of gar's dead films it's still better than virtually every other zombie film out there. So i don't find it utterly unwatchable. That said, it's like saying that you're disapointed with one of Michaelangelo's sculptures. Just say he was a modern artist. The man was obviously a master at what he did but for some reason or another his latest effort was dissapointing. I expected so much more because he has set the bar so high. It's the same with gar's work. We've come to expect a certain level of genius, for lack of a better term, and land just pales in comparison to the other films. Like i've said before. Land reminds me of a sci-fi channel original movie and i know gar is capable of much more than that. We've all been witnesses to that. It's also like when your favorite athelete is either hurt or slumping and is not playing up to his potential. Even though he's only operating at 70% you still rather have them out there over anyone else because even a mediocre effort from them is still better than almost anyone else could do.

AcesandEights
31-Oct-2007, 04:24 PM
What? We have a new 'be all, end all' poll on this topic each year?!

But I voted. It's a good film. It's got some warts, but it's good.

Edit: I think we have a new poll every 6 months, after taking a quick look back through this board. ;)

Trin
31-Oct-2007, 06:47 PM
Well said, darth_los. Ditto.

A begrudging Yes from me.

zombiegirl
31-Oct-2007, 08:09 PM
I voted yes although I agree with the fact Land isn't nearly as good as the other three.

Do you think anyone would ever vote haven't seen it yet on purpose?

clanglee
31-Oct-2007, 08:29 PM
I had to say No. I hated saying no, because I don't HATE the movie. But was it a GOOD movie? Even by non-GAR standards I would have to say no. ARRGGGHHH. This was an unfair question, There should be a middle question. "It was OK" or "Needs Improvement" :rolleyes:

SRP76
01-Nov-2007, 12:51 AM
Where's the "meh" option?

I voted "yes", just because I didn't absolutely despise it.

darth los
01-Nov-2007, 01:14 AM
Do you think anyone would ever vote haven't seen it yet on purpose?

I think that's a cop out and if they really haven't seen it they should have their membership revoked. Or atleast sent to those old style "re-education" camps. :elol:

Trencher
01-Nov-2007, 01:17 AM
It is pretty good.

clanglee
01-Nov-2007, 01:34 AM
Hellsing, I call shenanigans on your poll. Shenanigans!!!!!!

Khardis
01-Nov-2007, 01:37 AM
I voted no, because in all honesty I think it was a boring crap movie.

But I know that this poll will come out in a landslide saying it was the end all of films or whatever. But does that mean I can no longer say it was trash without a buncha people telling me I am wrong, and to come look at the poll?

Legion2213
01-Nov-2007, 04:22 PM
I had to vote no. :(

If the same question was asked about Night, Night 1990, Dawn or Day, I wouldn't have hesitated to jab at the "Yes" button.

Land = GAR's worst ever zombie movie.

Edit: Sorry Hellsing, but I was unable not to compare Land with GAR's other dead movies.

swellman
01-Nov-2007, 10:41 PM
Where's the "meh" option?

Yeah, really...

I voted no.

MinionZombie
03-Nov-2007, 10:40 AM
http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=1342&highlight=poll

Result: 60% LIKE, 28.89% ALRIGHT, 11.11% DISLIKE.

Then Philly wanted to complicate things (:p:D) and then the anti-Land side lost again:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=1932&highlight=poll

Result: Well over 50% in favour of the film.

And just to rub it in even more:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=1957&highlight=poll

Land comes AFTER Day. :D

My point being, with those, and now this one, it's consistent proof that Land is officially good/great/awesome.

AcesandEights
03-Nov-2007, 01:03 PM
And just to rub it in even more:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=1957&highlight=poll

MZ! How dare you raise even a mention of that blasphemous 'theory' that Land comes before Day!

*Casts eyes balefully about awaiting Philly Swat*

Danny
03-Nov-2007, 04:32 PM
see, i didnt add a meh for a reason, you either like the film or dont, even 'meh' means you dont think its a good movie and the general point of this is for newer members, and basically to try adn put an end to the zombie that is "why people hate land of the dead" thread, see you either say it was good or it wasnt, ta-da, done.

bassman
03-Nov-2007, 06:36 PM
*Casts eyes balefully about awaiting Philly Swat*

That's what I was thinking. I haven't seen Philly around the boards lately, actually....

You've got to give it to him though, he's passionate about Land being before Day. He raises some pretty interesting points, as well. But....I still say the films are in chronoligical order.

AcesandEights
03-Nov-2007, 07:10 PM
I miss Philly, myself. Interestingly, the most recent place I thought I came across him posting was in the game section, which just seemed odd, since Philly is more of hardcore and less of a 'fluff' poster. And I agree that he does bring up good points about the timeline, but a persuasive brand of madness is still plain madness at the end of the day ;)

clanglee
04-Nov-2007, 12:10 AM
see, i didnt add a meh for a reason, you either like the film or dont, even 'meh' means you dont think its a good movie and the general point of this is for newer members, and basically to try adn put an end to the zombie that is "why people hate land of the dead" thread, see you either say it was good or it wasnt, ta-da, done.

Nah man, It's not black and white like that. I was forced to vote no here, But I don't hate the movie. I just leaned more towards dislike. Meh, doen't mean You don't like it. Just means you don't love it or hate it. I live in the grey areas on most subjects.

capncnut
04-Nov-2007, 01:20 AM
It's nice to see some Land lovin'. Puts egg on the haters faces.

You've got to give it to him though, he's passionate about Land being before Day. He raises some pretty interesting points, as well.
Indeed, someone who at least believes in their... erm, beliefs. :D

acealive1
04-Nov-2007, 01:36 AM
damn right its a good one. i loved it. first one i was able ot see in theaters of romero's

clanglee
04-Nov-2007, 02:48 AM
*sigh*

[url]

:lol::lol:

That's low Minion.

SRP76
04-Nov-2007, 03:52 AM
Well, Land does come after Day.

Of course, I wasn't around for the debate/war, so I'll just slink off into the corner now......

clanglee
04-Nov-2007, 06:14 AM
No No, You are quite right, most people would agree with you about that. I think Minion was making a joke. A double entendre if you will. And while funny. :) It was low:rockbrow:

capncnut
04-Nov-2007, 09:12 AM
I think Minion was making a joke. A double entendre if you will.
MZ's a right old rascal ain't he? :sneaky:

MinionZombie
04-Nov-2007, 09:11 PM
MZ's a right old rascal ain't he? :sneaky:
Yes I am, "precocious little scamp ain't I?" - to quote Bender.

I just came across it when looking for the 'love or hate, once and for all' polls. I'd forgotten about the Philly theory, but couldn't resist mentioning it with light-hearted jest chortling forth.

And I've earned it, or perhaps I've paid for it - sprained my bastard ankle today, muthafukka! :(

DjfunkmasterG
04-Nov-2007, 10:23 PM
This poll is worthless. No offense Hellsing, but the choices aren't really perfect. Is Land of the Dead a good film... compared to what exactly? If you compare it to Children of the Living Dead or contagium, yes it is good film. Compare it to the original 3 dead films and it is pointless 90 minute sh1t fest.

A poll showing a comparison to his other dead films would prove without a doubt how worthless this movie is and the fact it should be emancipated from the series.

capncnut
05-Nov-2007, 12:50 AM
This poll is worthless.
I disagree, it's only asking members if they thought it was a good movie or not. No comparisons, just a simple question. Is it or isn't it? And clearly a lot of people who participated in this poll think it is.

Danny
05-Nov-2007, 02:41 AM
^ exactly. the point here dj is not comparing. if you compare something you will allways have something better or worse than that since its not unique.

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2007, 09:05 AM
Precisely, the haters are just getting desperate now and it's lame.

A simple yes or no (which was done a long while ago as well with the same positive result) - do you like or dislike, plain and simple, lay your balls on one side of the line or another.

Jesus happy slapping Christ. :rolleyes:

DjfunkmasterG
05-Nov-2007, 11:48 AM
This film has no redeeming qualities, and has very little to offer in repeated viewing. When you cruise your DVD shelf and you have Night, Dawn, Day and Land all next to each other, the majority of us will pull one of the first three before we would pull Land.

Land is not as bad as Contagium, Children, or House, but it isn't nowhere as good as the first 3 films, or other zombie films (28 Days Later, Dawn remake, ROTLD, 28 Weeks Later)

I still can't understand what you guys are seeing in this film to make you want to like it so much. I really want to understand what you like about it... explain something to me, give me a scene, a moment, something to help me see why you guys circle the wagons around this pile of dung like you do. I have tried to give this film chances. If it is on HBO and I surf by it, I tune in to see if I missed something. Last night after making my piss and moan topic about the closing of the hate thread I actually pulled out the HD-DVD and tried to watch it and couldn't get passed Big Daddy's incessant howling and crying.

So, in detail, what is it you like about Land of the Dead?

Now I may hate Land, but I am willing to give Diary a shot, and I am hoping Diary turns out to be a great zombie film, but Land has left a bad taste in my mouth. However, I am willing to wash that out and start fresh. :skull:

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2007, 11:51 AM
If you want to understand why we like it if not love it, just read the threads, it's all laid out and explained in exhaustive detail.

And I don't have Night/Dawn/Day/Land next to each other...my collection is alphabetised, so only Dawn and Day are next to each other. :sneaky::D

Danny
05-Nov-2007, 12:05 PM
uh, dude, a thread was just closed on this, i cant take the lack of finality in the descussion anymore! *cocks gun at temple*

DjfunkmasterG
05-Nov-2007, 12:26 PM
Everyone in that thread just says Land rocks, or Asia is Hot. No one goes into any real detail about what makes them enjoy Land of the Dead so much.

bassman
05-Nov-2007, 12:28 PM
Everyone in that thread just says Land rocks, or Asia is Hot. No one goes into any real detail about what makes them enjoy Land of the Dead so much.

:lol:

I guess the 9 billion pages in the hate thread didn't do it for you?

AcesandEights
05-Nov-2007, 02:42 PM
This (http://www.homepageofthedead.com/films/land/lotdreview001.htm) has pretty much always been my opinion on the matter. I could elucidate, but why bother. There seem to be people here for the sake of the argument only and not willing to accept this bat-sh1t crazy idea of individual taste :bored:

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2007, 02:43 PM
Indeed, the "hate" thread kept being dragged out at the insistence of the "haters", and the "lovers" which is where the bulk of the defense was laid down.

Quit reaching Dj, it's making hellsing giggle. :D

And far more is said in the love thread than that, and I bet you a bunch of official haters wouldn't half mind a slice of Asia's pie.

AcesandEights
05-Nov-2007, 02:44 PM
I bet you a bunch of official haters wouldn't half mind a slice of Asia's pie.

I bet it would be nice and tart :D

DjfunkmasterG
05-Nov-2007, 05:34 PM
Asia is doable, but Asia from Triple X, not Asia from LOTD.

mista_mo
05-Nov-2007, 06:01 PM
There is no such thing as an undoable asia. There is no flux in her looks, she is always looking fine.

I'd tap that s*it hard.

Doc
05-Nov-2007, 09:38 PM
I bet you a bunch of official haters wouldn't half mind a slice of Asia's pie. I bet I will be horribly bashed for saying this. :shifty:But......I just don't see what's attractive about her....:confused:

Mutineer
05-Nov-2007, 09:49 PM
Not a good film

Doc ? I like Asia because she doesn't have conventional looks in terms of what most seem to find attractive; don't get me wrong, I like the conventional look as well :P

But she has an edge and hipness most actresses only wish they had.

(http://www.homepageofthedead.com/films/land/lotdreview001.htm)This (http://www.homepageofthedead.com/films/land/lotdreview001.htm) has pretty much always been my opinion on the matter. I could elucidate, but why bother. There seem to b (http://www.homepageofthedead.com/films/land/lotdreview001.htm)e people here for the sake of the argument only and not willing to accept this bat-sh1t crazy idea of individual taste

And it hink many here are blinded by GAR GOGGLES.

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2007, 10:01 PM
I bet I will be horribly bashed for saying this. :shifty:But......I just don't see what's attractive about her....:confused:
Meh, each to their own, whatever floats your boat.

I would, but I wouldn't be jumping for joy or chomping at the bit to get at that ass...if that makes sense.

I mean, she's not Scarlet Johansson! :)

Doc
05-Nov-2007, 10:03 PM
Not a good film

Doc ? I like Asia because she doesn't have conventional looks in terms of what most seem to find attractive; don't get me wrong, I like the conventional look as well :P

But she has an edge and hipness most actresses only wish they had.

[URL="http://www.homepageofthedead.com/films/land/lotdreview001.htm"]

And it hink many here are blinded by GAR GOGGLES. I just want let you know you are talking to a boy who is very dense when it comes to woman:o So, no I don;t know what you mean by the conventional look? :(

Mutineer
05-Nov-2007, 10:35 PM
Heh heh

See MinionZombie's post above ! :D :sneaky:

Legion2213
06-Nov-2007, 01:07 AM
And I don't have Night/Dawn/Day/Land next to each other...my collection is alphabetised, so only Dawn and Day are next to each other. :sneaky::D

I could never have my DVD's like that, I need them grouped into categories, sci-fi, horror, comedy etc.

CD's are different, alphabetised but alphabetised within genre.

Just felt the need to mention this. Ta. :D

capncnut
06-Nov-2007, 01:53 AM
I like Asia because she doesn't have conventional looks in terms of what most seem to find attractive.
I'm the same. Golly, if I was to list of some of the girls I find attractive, you'd think me mad. :D

bassman
06-Nov-2007, 12:08 PM
I could never have my DVD's like that, I need them grouped into categories, sci-fi, horror, comedy etc.

CD's are different, alphabetised but alphabetised within genre.

Just felt the need to mention this. Ta. :D

I actually have my collection alphabetized, like MZ. It makes it really easy to find what you're looking for. More so than categorized by genre, I would think...

EvilNed
06-Nov-2007, 03:40 PM
I have my DVD collection alphabetized after the director. So the Dead films are next to each other.

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2007, 04:01 PM
And then a lot of films are of multiple genres, or hard to define - it's too problematic a system I say.

Alphebatised is simple, standardised and quick to use...plus it's satisfying...or at least I find it satisfying.

Danny
06-Nov-2007, 04:11 PM
im dead touchy, first ill sort em into country of origin, then animation live action or what have you, then by year, then by favouritism and so on.
yet i keep all the disks in a wallet so tis jsut to look cool on my many doovde' rakcs.:lol:

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2007, 04:17 PM
You take your discs OUT of the cases and shove them in some wallet thing?!

JESUS!!!! :eek:

SACRILEGE!!!! :eek:

Discs stay in their boxes! *smacks hellsing with a rolled up newspaper* BAD! BAD! :|

Legion2213
06-Nov-2007, 04:43 PM
yet i keep all the disks in a wallet so tis jsut to look cool on my many doovde' rakcs.:lol:

That's just warped mate. Get some help! :D

Danny
06-Nov-2007, 04:45 PM
That's just warped mate. Get some help! :D

i jsut cant bring myself to pile em up in the back of my wardrobe or something yknow?, they gotta be seeeeeen , maaaaaaan.:lol:

AcesandEights
06-Nov-2007, 05:23 PM
I have no filing system for DVDs. They fit where they fit. Life's a hodge podge of goodness when it comes to my DVDs...assuming the DVD in question is in the correct case when you open it :eek:

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2007, 05:41 PM
hellsing - well then display the cases, on a shelf like a normal person, with the doovde's inside!

You crazy weirdo.

Ug, I remember when a housemate at uni was pissed off at me cos I was pissed off at him, some petty gripe over something I can't even remember, anyway, we'd dropped all that and were mates again, then went to my DVD collection and he'd gone and swapped a bunch of discs into other boxes, but he gave himself away immediately because he didn't leave the cases lined up exactly flush with one another, so haha...but as we'd made up I couldn't very well get him back. :D

Trin
06-Nov-2007, 08:25 PM
Precisely, the haters are just getting desperate now and it's lame.
What's lame is that polling the GAR faithful produces anything less than complete support for Land. There are 20+ year GAR supporters that can't even say the movie is "good." How can you not see that as a problem?

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2007, 08:35 PM
What's lame is that polling the GAR faithful produces anything less than complete support for Land. There are 20+ year GAR supporters that can't even say the movie is "good." How can you not see that as a problem?
GAR supporters getting stuck in the past and comparing new to old seems lame to me in this situation though.

And of course the poll is for the GAR faithful - cos it's a poll on this website, where opinions on the film will be polar extremes, so we end up finding out which pole is most popular...and have in the past polls actually.

And I don't really see the length of support as any real measure, as long as a fan is a fan for good reason (i.e. not like people who listen to HIM because Bam does) then who cares? You can't help when you're born, nor when you get into certain things.

The reason why the haters are hating always seems to boil down to expectation built up for many years, and how is that GAR's fault? Really, that's the fault of particular fans, expectation is a dangerous game to play with movies and can often make someone hate a film or be really disappointed when they finally see it.

GAR struggled through adversity and finally got us a new proper zed flick. I think that's more than worth celebrating personally.

clanglee
06-Nov-2007, 09:07 PM
I see your point man, but it really doesn't stop the movie from kinda sucking. But opinions are like . . well . . you know. . everyone's got one.

AcesandEights
06-Nov-2007, 11:07 PM
Hahaha, MZ has O.C.D. :p

SRP76
07-Nov-2007, 12:46 AM
The reason why the haters are hating always seems to boil down to expectation built up for many years, and how is that GAR's fault?

I'm a hater.:D

Without the Romero name on it, I still wouldn't like this movie. It doesn't have to do with expectations. It has to do with too many parts where I jump up, point at the screen, and yell, "there's no way in hell they'd do that!".

No, not just the zombies, but every character and event in the film.

Trin
07-Nov-2007, 02:32 AM
I'm a hater.:D

Without the Romero name on it, I still wouldn't like this movie. It doesn't have to do with expectations. It has to do with too many parts where I jump up, point at the screen, and yell, "there's no way in hell they'd do that!".

No, not just the zombies, but every character and event in the film.
Yes, yes, and more YES!!

My point with the 20+ year fans is not to bash the younger, newer fans. I love all GAR fans young and old. If the movies touched you in some way then I applaud that. The world needs more GAR fans. My point is that I'd expect longer term fans to rally behind GAR regardless. Be the last ones to admit his shiyite might stink. Heck, I was ready to turn a blind eye to just about anything in there that was a little off. It's GAR - you take the bad with the good. Does that sound like an expectation problem??

For me to have to say that Land stinks is an enormously humbling experience since I've been extolling GAR's virtues for so long. I wanted to love this movie. But I can't. And I won't be a Land apologist.

clanglee
07-Nov-2007, 03:34 AM
Yeah, my expectations may have incresed my bad experience of the movie, but my experince for this movie would have been kinda bad without expectations. My love of GAR was one of the only things keeping me from writing this movie completely off. You guys love the movie, great. I don't agree with your assesment. Doesn't mean I don't still like you. I might think less of your opinion in movies ;), but we all agree on the other three, and 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Land Apologist. . . :lol: I love it!!

ngm231
07-Nov-2007, 03:51 AM
i dug land the more i watch it the more it grows on me

ProfessorChaos
07-Nov-2007, 04:04 AM
i fell in love with each and every one of the gar dead films from the first viewing of each...i can recall most of that day's events (the day that i watched these films), my initial opinions of specific scenes. when i was a little kid, when all the other kids wanted to play tag, i wanted to play "zombies", which was my variation of tag using characters from night and day, etc. i can sit and watch any or all of the original trilogy any time any day. so i'd say i've been a fan of his work for almost twenty years.

land, however, is just nowhere near the caliber of movie i'd come to expect from mr. romero. none of the scenes really drew me in the way any of his previous films did. all the characters were about as likeable as a case of poison ivy. who cares if the argento chick is somewhat subjectively attractive? her character is as much as a throw-away character as the rest. the plot was dumb, the ending was crap, and i was actually glad it was over. i don't know why i bought the dvd. i never pop it in...in fact, the last time i watched land was when i was introducing my gf to the gar universe by watching all four movies in one weekend. she told me as soon as land was over that she thought it was very boring and lame compared to the rest...it didn't even seem to be anything like the others, aside from the living dead...and even those were all super weak...*cough* big daddy *cough* ...all fifty of them...how is it that there's like less than a hundred or so zeds in the "land of the dead"?

so naturally, my vote was no.

i still hold high hopes for diary, so i'm not saying that he's lost it or anything...but let's hope for a better showing this time 'round.