PDA

View Full Version : Hell of the Living Dead

Neil
01-Nov-2007, 08:29 PM
What a (bad) Dawn rip off :)

Even a lot of the music is from it :)

MaximusIncredulous
01-Nov-2007, 09:55 PM
I've always found it a decent movie to booze up with and has its amusing moments here and there.

LivingDeadBeat
01-Nov-2007, 10:57 PM
Not seen it yet, I bought a Zombie two pack earlier with NOTLD and Revenge of the Zombies, haven't watched the latter yet, any good?

Griff
02-Nov-2007, 01:10 AM
Wow, I thought you would have sought this one out years ago, Neil.

I remember absolutely f*cking hating this one when I saw it within a year of first seeing the Romero flicks.

Now I think its hilarious.

triste realtą
02-Nov-2007, 05:41 AM
This movie is absolute art of the highest order and shouldn't be taken any other way.

axlish
02-Nov-2007, 02:50 PM
Neil = Always late to the party

HellOTLD is a great slice of italian cheddar

bassman
02-Nov-2007, 02:52 PM
Never heard of it. Sometimes it amazes me how many zombie movies you guys mention. I've only seen Romero's, his remakes, and Return of the Living Dead.:barf:

clanglee
02-Nov-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I remember this one. Italian crap. Had some good bits though.

Yojimbo
03-Nov-2007, 01:30 AM
I've never seen or heard of this one, but now I have to seek this one out. Is it worth my time to find and buy, or would you all recommend against it? How does this one compare in the range of Romero rips? Is it at least on par with Fulci's "Zombie" (the one with Mia Farrow's sister) or is it another Contagium?

axlish
03-Nov-2007, 05:23 AM
It is a like a cross of Zombie and one of the cannibal films. It features Goblin music, some from Dawn of the Dead. Not to be taken seriously. If you like Fulci, chances are you'll get something out of this. Not to be mentioned in the same breath as Contagium.

EvilNed
03-Nov-2007, 05:17 PM
When I wrote my paper on italian zombiefilms, I used Hell of the Living Dead as one of the archtype for the style which I felt that the films embodied. It's a great film, from italian zombiefilms POV, but a ****ty film from any other perspective. I especially like the rather radical anti-west message the film bears.

MontagMOI
03-Nov-2007, 08:06 PM
It has a couple of cool goblin tracks not used in Dawn but used in Contamination. The actor with the black hair and crazy eyes is the worst overactor ever. I dont think he would get in an Andy Milligan film.

MissJacksonCA
04-Nov-2007, 01:05 AM
Its funny every time someone talks about a zombie movie that really sucks and asks for others opinions ... even if most everyone sacks it those who haven't seen it just seem to have to see it ...

So yeah... never heard of it... haven't seen it (since obviously i've never heard of it) ... but ... I will check it out as long as it doesn't cost me more than a dollar ...

CornishCorpse
04-Nov-2007, 03:44 PM
Really really horrible, I caught it this halloween god bless you zone horror...I thought with them playing three back to back zombie films at least one would be worth a watch but nope. Avoid it, its an old film so it should be cheap and if youre going to buy it then just spend the same £5 on the zombie diaries. An amazing film, eight quid brand new

Avoid this stenchy film although nothing on zombiez.

slickwilly13
05-Nov-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't know......judging by who directed it. I will probably avoid it. I learned my lesson after Zombi 3.

aga
06-Nov-2007, 09:16 PM
Have to say I quite like this, and definitely include it in the good Italian Zombie movie column. If you didn't enjoy this don't touch After Death or Killing Birds, I have a feeling you won't like them.

clanglee
07-Nov-2007, 01:08 AM
I've never loved the Fulci/Bava type zombie movies. I will watch them, and usually have some really great gore scenes, but the plots are nigh impossible to follow. I did like a LOT of scenes in Zombi. Actually Fulci has some good ones, House by the Cemetary is really quite good. This movie, as i recall, was decent. But I can't say its a good movie, unless you have a fetish for foreign Z movies, or a lot of patience.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Nov-2007, 11:16 AM
Neil = Always late to the party

HellOTLD is a great slice of italian cheddar

Don't you mean Mozzarella? :lol:

I've never loved the Fulci/Bava type zombie movies. I will watch them, and usually have some really great gore scenes, but the plots are nigh impossible to follow. I did like a LOT of scenes in Zombi. Actually Fulci has some good ones, House by the Cemetary is really quite good. This movie, as i recall, was decent. But I can't say its a good movie, unless you have a fetish for foreign Z movies, or a lot of patience.

I don't understand what people see in Fulci's work. To be honest his stuff isn't all that yet people seem to praise it to the highest order. To me all his movies were gore for the sake of gore. The story, characters and acting were pointless.

Neil
07-Nov-2007, 11:51 AM
Don't you mean Mozzarella? :lol:

I don't understand what people see in Fulci's work. To be honest his stuff isn't all that yet people seem to praise it to the highest order. To me all his movies were gore for the sake of gore. The story, characters and acting were pointless.

I mostly agree...

DjfunkmasterG
07-Nov-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks Neil... for the longest time I was starting to feel like I was alone in my feelings for Fulci's work.

bassman
07-Nov-2007, 12:54 PM
To me all his movies were gore for the sake of gore. The story, characters and acting were pointless.

So if you look for things like that in films......where is the greatness that you claim is in Yawn04?

:lol:Sorry, bro....couldn't resist.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Nov-2007, 01:10 PM
Dawn 04 didn't go gore crazy, it had characters you actually gave a damn about (Cj, Michael, Andy) Fulci's work had none of that, neither did another zombie film from the beloved master, but we will save that for another thread. :D

bassman
07-Nov-2007, 01:12 PM
Dawn 04 didn't go gore crazy, it had characters you actually gave a damn about (Cj, Michael, Andy) Fulci's work had none of that, neither did another zombie film from the beloved master, but we will save that for another thread. :D

I didn't mean the gore....I meant the character part. I'm glad you felt for the characters in Dawn04. At least all two of you enjoyed the movie.:lol:

DjfunkmasterG
07-Nov-2007, 01:16 PM
See for me I fel there were more characters to care about in DAWN 04 vs. LOTD. George is usually great at character development but LOTD lacked a lot of that, at times it felt like a Fulci Movie. Hell of the Living Dead is just what Axlish said.... great italian cheese. It is a fun movie to watch and laugh at, but other than that it is a true rip off of Dawn of the Dead just set in the jungles.

bassman
07-Nov-2007, 01:19 PM
Don't get your Dawn04/LOTD defense shields up, Lucille. I was just joshing around.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Nov-2007, 01:26 PM
Oh I know... I don't have them up.... YET. :lol: