PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament 3 or Call of Duty 4?

CornishCorpse
03-Nov-2007, 11:18 PM
Both looking to be amazing games and I enjoy both the run and gun of unreal and the strategy of Call of duty. My point is this if I buy a game for its multiplayer then Ill end up hooked on it ( Resistance of man currently ) so theres no point in buying both games as I wont pay any attention to the single player mode.

So gamers out there any thoughts on which one would be the better investment?

Danny
03-Nov-2007, 11:31 PM
i wasnt too excited about cod4 till i saw a gameplay session on a game show, on level is walking through chernobyl sneaking past everyone jsut to get a one chance sniper shot at a terrorist it looks awesome.

CoinReturn
04-Nov-2007, 01:08 AM
Thats a tough call. The tried and true gameplay of Unreal Tournament vs. Call of Duty's visceral realism and evolutionary ranking system. The last UT game I played was UT2004 for the PC, and that game was awesome.

I heard that the single player for COD4 is only 6 hours long, though the Official Playstation Magazine gave it a 10 anyway. I was pretty impressed by the multiplayer beta though, I'm still on the fence on whether or not I'm gonna pick it up. Mass Effect is being released on the 20th, so that will probably occupy my time for a while. I can't help but post a new video of it, this one showcasing some combat stuff:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27418.html

Just ask yourself if you want a really fast arcade type with alien weapons and a few vehicles, or do you want a slower paced but equally as fun team based game set in reality. Either way, you'll be getting a great game.

CornishCorpse
04-Nov-2007, 03:32 PM
Last time I looked UT had a good number of vehicles the manta being my favourite by far, theres nothing in the world like dodging tank fire in a manta.

Bah I do love realistic games I was hooked on battlefield 2 on xbox for a year and joined a clan and so on, I loved the whole working as a team to complete an objective and saving the ass of a team mate. But on the other hand I love how Gladitorial Unreal tournament is and always has been, teams arent a big thing its more how many kills you can get. If youre lucky someone may jump on one of the turrets..

Now Im leaning towards call of duty the only problem is this, Haze has just pushed its way into the competition and it looks pretty damn good. I need more money damnit, I need to get assasins creed and tekken 6 too..Sorry my jibba jabbing but call of duty seems like a safe bet. Less assholes double jumping and getting spawn raped by the redeemer.

Danny
04-Nov-2007, 04:02 PM
haze seems a bit gimmicky to me, little things like the playing dead rather than actually dying and whathaveyou all seem cool in the trailers and demos, but when youve played through it for a few hours i bet it gets old fast.

MinionZombie
04-Nov-2007, 09:38 PM
Hellsing - I agree with you on that Haze, I'm not convinced to be honest...not in a sniping, camp-dwelling way, but just in an honest gamer way - I wouldn't be bothered about Haze no matter what console it was on.

As for the issue at hand - you know what I'm going to say - COD4. I played the first UT, and it was good, but never did UT2, and haven't paid attention to UT3. It's much more brash and run and gun sorta stuff I guess...COD4 would have more depth and drama I would have thought.

Up to you bro, whichever one you get second, you'll no doubt find it cheaper than it is this week.

CornishCorpse
05-Nov-2007, 08:29 PM
Well yeah Cod4 does obviously involve alot more depth and has alot more teamwork and more realism to it and thats why I liked games of the same genre. It looks pretty amazing with the upgrades and graphics.

The reason I love UT is that most gamers are a big fan of FPS and ut is the ultimate pick up and play game, Id say in a weird way its very skilled. Sure a nooblet can blow you up with a rocket launcher but if you watch one play decimate thirty others with a link gun or an assault rifle you gotta hail to that killing spree. Its a game where anyone and everyone plays and so the world competes online. I just like the gladitorial element.

COD4 will be great but with the achievments and the strategy elements like other games people will learn the camping spots, the place to ambush plus the upgrades and stuff.

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2007, 10:06 PM
So I guess if you're looking for sheer, brash, thrash-about fun - then it's gotta be UT3 for you then.

CornishCorpse
05-Nov-2007, 11:24 PM
Trash about fun? Dude you say it as if its a bad thing :lol: Im looking for some thrash fun but I also want some strategy and we both know the run and gun of halo is crushed underneath knife jabbing a sniper in the middle of a ruined city in a realistic warfare game.

o.o And there I just answered my own question.

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2007, 10:04 AM
Nah, thrash about fun is a good thing.

Now thrushing about doesn't sound like fun. :lol:

So if you want strategy and bombed out cities, it's gonna have to be COD4 then. :)

CornishCorpse
06-Nov-2007, 02:09 PM
Cod4 it is my last post kinda sorted it in my mind, oh yeah blowing shizz up is plenty of fun but the best bits of all fps games is where youve got a decent team and the teamwork is flowing. The best you can get in ut is if someone else on youre team happens to be in the same area as you when you get attacked.

I play resistance:fom online and its a decent game nothing special well except for the nades that release a large cloud of gas then sit it alight the result being essentially like a defence for some sort of tomb. I play it because now and then Ill find dude who I can dominate the game with by using tactics, ut is dry on tactics whereas even in the trailers cod seems to be leaking.

Question answered :D

slickwilly13
10-Nov-2007, 01:34 AM
Hey, I just rented COD4 for the PS3. You see this is the advantage of having a PS3. The 369 versions were leased out and not many people around here own a PS3. So, there is always a good chance that a ported version will be available for one console when the other is rented out. :D I'm fixing to update my PS3 then pop the cherry on this game. I'll give my 2 cents later.

Craig
10-Nov-2007, 10:39 AM
Despite my dislike of CoD in general I think I might get it now that they've stopped trying to do realistic WWII games and failing miserably. This is assuming there's online play because I really need something new to play on XBL.

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2007, 11:03 AM
Of course COD4 has online play, this time around they even started designing it when they started the full game, not just as an after thought later on. Apparently the online is really good and has a lot of 'suit your style' tweaks and so on. I wouldn't know about it personally, because I don't play online...but as for the game itself.

Wellity-well, I finished the first act last night and bloody nora what a good ending to an act.

For those who have finished Act 1, or don't mind reading a spoiler, have a shufty:

After you've rescued the pilot of a downed chopper in an off-the-cuff extension to your original mission, you take off, but a nuclear bomb goes off nearby - which had been spoken about before, but you ended up getting side-tracked - anyway, sh*t goes off and you view the tidal wave as the choppers behind you spin out and crash, then yours is hit by the force, you start spinning wildly out of control, the pilot you just saved is sucked out of the open rear hatch, then you crash and it goes black ... after a loading screen with a bunch of scrolling names of the deceased one flashes up as still active - yours.

Then you wake up in a super bad way inside your downed chopper, you crawl outside and see the destruction, cars flung about, wrecked buildings, bodies and of course - a massive mushroom cloud on the near horizon. Then you attempt to stand, but you fall down and it all whites out - your USMC soldier is actually killed off in the story!

Beforehand in earlier COD titles the only way your character would die is by your own ineptitude, but now there's a full on story going on, your USMC is supposed to die - but you get to control his final moments and see a huge scale disaster in the process. It's breath taking stuff.

*ahem*

Yes, anyway, haven't moved on since the end of Act 1, so if anyone has gone beyond it - don't spoil anything for me! :eek:

On a less spoiler-tinted note, the game is bloody great. The action is intense, the detail of the world is superb, trash is whipped up in the wind or chopper down drafts, loose bricks and concrete blocks will be punched out of certain walls under heavy fire. Cars explode and can be crushed under the tanks, tyres will roll past you after one blows up.

The character animations are second-to-none (this time they used motion capture, unlike just straight animation in earlier ones apparently), and again - lots of detail. Real tactical movements, and other great details, like a soldier cutting a wire fence, pulling on it and then falling over as it pings free.

The Act 1 level "The Bog" looks especially brilliant, I saw it in a trailer or preview and I thought 'oh that's tweaked with CGI or it's a pre-rendered video' - NO IT AIN'T, it's just as it was in the preview videos/trailers and it's bloody brilliant too.

I love this game, well worth the cash and highly recommended. Infinity Ward have once again done a balls out superb job! :cool::)

*additional*

Well ... that's COD4 done and dusted, chaps. :cool:

My only gripe is that, as reviews have said, it's a bit on the short side...but by golly it's bloody superb when it's going. And of course, it's the sort of game you'll have to play a good few times just to soak in all the drama, all the action and all the sights.

No doubt some of these next gen titles are a bit on the short side due to space constraints on the discs, which is why this bloody next gen DVD war thing needs to hurry up and get settled.

But I guess it goes by as quickly as you allow it to, to some respect. I had bugger all to do this last 48 hours, so I just played COD4 constantly. Also, if you're playing it on a hard setting, you'll take a damn sight longer too no doubt.

It's addictive, that's why I just sat around playing it...complete a mission, then see how awesome the next one looks, then you think "I'll go to the checkpoint and then quit" ... then you go beyond that until you think "Oh I'll just finish the level then" ... and then the whole 'checkpoint' theory begins again, but you're just too much of a glutton to resist and you gorge yourself on the creamy goodness. :cool::D

Anyway, back to COD4 - bloody brilliant and definitely very worth playing. The chaos, the scale, the drama, the story, the characters, the guns - everything is tip top. If you loved COD2, you'll cream over COD4 - nuff said really.

Oh, and wait the end credits out, because after those you get a short bonus mission where you have something like 5 minutes to complete your objective, and even as a bonus mission, it's bloody good. :D

I'll head back to Project 8 now, but I'll be back for more COD4 most certainly very soon.

CornishCorpse
10-Nov-2007, 07:19 PM
I agree only complaint is the online gaming system is a whore at least on the ps3, played a few games and its hella fun and no lagg but most of the time it searches for servers with low ping and if it cant find it then you host it. Its fine since people tend to jump straight in when you host but bah..Apart from that minor flaw its well worth the cash.

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2007, 10:47 PM
I've gone back to Project 8 now, but I've certainly got COD4 on the mind. I'd played it so much yesterday that I ended up having a dream about it, either me in the game, or me with the game in my possession...can't really remember, but yeah...brilliant game.

That mission where you retreat up the hill (blowing off C4 triggers laid out in a building for you as do) and then charge back down using air strikes that you place for backup so you can get to the extraction point is just intense stuff.

I even played the last mission (penultimate, if you include the one after the credits) twice because I enjoyed the dramatic climax so much, that final moment is so classic Hollywood it's untold. :cool:

slickwilly13
11-Nov-2007, 08:43 PM
Currently playing the game. So far so good. :cool:

MinionZombie
12-Nov-2007, 09:55 AM
Where are you up to on COD4 now?

Bloody good stuff ain't it? :)

slickwilly13
12-Nov-2007, 02:11 PM
Not too far. I didn't play much over the weekend, because of homework and the fact I was at a frat party all day on Saturday. This is how far I got.

I am past the part after the nuke blew up the city. And my character died. Assuming he is dead.

MinionZombie
12-Nov-2007, 02:42 PM
Ahhhh the end of Act 1 is where you're at.

Indeed, your USMC soldier is dead and gone, did you crawl out of the chopper and see the destruction? It's an awesome end to that Act I have to say, action & drama packed.

slickwilly13
12-Nov-2007, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I managed to crawl out and look around. Bad ass mushroom cloud. :cool:

CornishCorpse
12-Nov-2007, 09:01 PM
The singleplayer mode is good..Ive just met the dogs so Im guessing Im lagging far behind you guys. I got distracted by the sweet MP, currently a Master Gunnery SGT with a custom mp5 with a red dot sight o course.. :D Think Im gonna get UT3 anyway for christmas such a big diffrence..UT3 is pickup and play and you can do that with this but bah. This is alot more epic thanks to the bullet penetration plus it does the whole war is hell thing well with the quotes when you die..Never had a call of duty game that didnt.

Cornish gives this four pints of scrumpy outta five

MinionZombie
13-Nov-2007, 09:53 AM
Bits with the dogs...have you been to Pripyat-15-years-ago-as-Price yet?

Man alive that's a tense level, occasionally a bit tricky too - coming across a group of soldiers on a road and you're on one side and you've got to get to the other...oooh betty the tension was killing me.

There's dogs on that level, and then ah dude, the escape from that level - again - tension coming out the wazoo. But a superb rendering of Pripyat, my heart was certainly kicked up a notch.

Apparently whilst getting mauled by a dog you click the right stick and you snap their necks, but I haven't done that, I just shoot them as they leap for me or earlier. Oh, and for those on the Pripyat level, shoot the dog at the fence, it's just easier.

slickwilly13
13-Nov-2007, 01:22 PM
I have snapped a number of necks, but it is tricky. Sometimes it doesn't respond. I beat the game last night, btw. Too short. Like every other shooter. Hey, after you beat the game, let the credits continue to roll. There is a special surprise at the end. ;)

MinionZombie
13-Nov-2007, 03:15 PM
Indeed, I'd read a review that tipped me off to the secret epilogue mission, I guess it was one they had in mind but couldn't fit into the story.

I think games these days are a bit on the short side due to storage capacity of the discs with the fancy graphics we now have, plus the length of development time and such.

But COD4 is totally worth the cash, as well as multiple replays. COD2 for instance, played it through at least 4 times, but I think it was actually 5, and then played certain levels on their own again multiple times in addition. COD4 will be the same way for me. :)