PDA

View Full Version : The 30th anniversary edition reviewed

darth los
05-Nov-2007, 07:16 PM
I didn't see much mention of this version of "NOTLD" so I'm posting this for anyone who might come across it and be interested.

In 1998 a "New" version of "NOTLD" was created and released. Of course such releases have become common practice lately, dating back to "Close Encounters" in the early 80's and the complete re-thinking of the most recent "Exorcist" film. But in this case, rather than uncovering new "never before seen footage" as most expanded editions do, this version promised new footage conceived and shot by the original author of the screenplay, John Russo, and a new score in full stereo.

I'm not a big fan of revisionist film-making--if the changes are noticeable it affects the experience of the movie, if they're not, then why bother? But I don't have a problem with messing with a movie as an alternative experience, like the "green zombie" colorized version of "NOTLD"--if the original was that good (example: the original Star Wars) there's not much you could do to it that will erase that success. The changes to the original re-released films like "The Abyss" and "Terminator 2" didn't really affect the overall experience much, they were more or less like "extended mixes" of a pop song rather than "re-mixes." Less is more, but if you're a fan more can be a fun alternative.

Here, the case is different, a serious "re-thinking" of a revered and classic (albeit low-budget) film. It's obvious that the motivating factor behind such an unusual move (was there really something "missing" from the movie originally?) must be money--yet to read the accompanying materials with the DVD package certainly makes a case that the new concept was done with a lot of love. In other words, it worked well on paper and appeals to the curious film fan, certainly.

Then, of course, you watch the damn movie, and understand--within 30 seconds you realize the concept wasn't viable, at least not with the budget and talent gathered for this project.

I'm glad I saw it, I'll say that, because I'm a fan of film both good and bad, especially THIS film which was already good and bad, and sometimes seeing something truly terrible teaches more about how a good movie is created than seeing a "revered classic" that is flawless. The 30th Anniversary edition of "NOTLD" points out several things that are wrong with movies today, and movies in general: 1)over-foleying of sound f/x. I know it keeps foley artist's employed, and the technology is there,but we don't really need to hear ants hiccup, the way movies are today. 2)Always use real actors, no matter what your budget. The use of the new soundtrack composer in a pivotal role was a serious error: he looks like the uglier brother of Edward Norton in "American History X" and can't act. 3) A soundtrack shouldn't stand out. Here, the new music sounds like little more than demo patterns on a cheap Casio keyboard someone left running. Simple themes repeat over and over until you want to cry out "Uncle," or turn the power off, and the composer, with due respect, needs to learn that soundtrack music shouldn't be "songs," but atmosphere. The effect here is of watching a silent film with your stereo playing in the background. The bursts of the original score only highlight how miscalculated the new score is. 4)Showing is better than telling. It was scarier when we didn't know the history of the first zombie we see, or even that he was a zombie at all, and it's redundant to show zombies eating flesh so early in the film, while the radio broadcast is informing us that people are being cannibalized. It's no longer scary, it's dull, and this movie was dull enough already--if it was going to be re-thought, care should have been taken to improve the dull "talky" moments in between zombie attacks.

In the final analysis, this "new" version (that's several years old now) has a couple of moments of good gore and make-up, but nothing worth checking out. The music is obnoxious, obtrusive and cheap, as well as the new scenes which do not in any way fit in with the old ones. And the new "slant" that the book-end scenes with the preacher give to the film push the "When hell is full the dead will walk the earth" theory over the "radiation created the zombies" theory. It's a whole other movie, and not one I'm interested in. I never cared why the zombies were around in the first place and adding "God's judgment" into the mix ruins the "fun," frankly.

This "new" version has probably been forgotten already, and that's a good thing, but for some reason I still give the creators a nod of respect for trying something different, even if they failed miserably.

The person who posted this review is obviously not a fan of gar's work. The misquote "When hell is full the dead will walk the earth" gives them away. That said i thought it was an interesting read to see how an "outsider" viewed this turd. One thing i believe they're dead wrong on is that the original film was boring. They complain about how there were too many talking scenes in between zombie attacks. Another telltale sign of their non fandom. As most of us know, Gar's dead films are not really about the zombies at all. They're about human nature and the conflict that ensues. Gar uses the gouls as a vehichle to suit his satirical purposes. No doubt they play a prominent role in the films, but they are not nescesarily the centerpiece.

However, i did agree with them on the god awful soundtrack and the apparent contradictions in theory as to why the plauge came about. Each of the dead trilogy had it's overiding theory as to why the dead were rising. In night it was the radiation from the venus probe. In dawn the curse/voodoo mysticism angle was mentioned and in Day a more scintific angle was pursued suggesting a virus. In night 30th the two theories of radiation and god's judgement horribly clashed and seemed off, imo. Not to say that more than one theory can't exist though.

Any thoughts on the article?

Danny
05-Nov-2007, 07:20 PM
my thoughts are still the same, no one likes that version, it opens with a 'priest' whos supposed to be believable with an earing adn a soul patch:lol:

Legion2213
06-Nov-2007, 01:37 AM
Jesus, I own that donkey on VHS...I watched it once, only once!

Yojimbo
06-Nov-2007, 02:03 AM
All those involved in NOLD 30th should be embarassed, though they vehemently defend their decision to do this.

Awful!!! I'd rather have a painful boil on my ass then see this film again! I hate nearly everything that they did to this film.

Specifically that "original music" composer who's failure as a composer is exceeded only by his failure as an actor -- what the hell was that?

I feel better about watching Contagium than I did about NOLD 30th, and Contagium practically made me think about sniffing glue! I mean, sure it causes brain damage, but hell, I saw NOLD 30th so it can't be so bad in comparison, right?

Those who were involved in the 30th are nothing more than maggots opportunistically feeding off of a helpless corpse. Their attempts to justify or rationalize it any other way are laughable!

capncnut
06-Nov-2007, 04:11 AM
Specifically that "original music" composer who's failure as a composer is exceeded only by his failure as an actor -- what the hell was that?
Oh you know you guys all liked the priest, don't deny it. :D

http://www.gonemovies.com/www/WanadooFilms/Thriller/nightPriester_sm.jpg
"May your soul burn in everlasting fire!"

Strange that a priest should look like Anton LaVey. :rolleyes:

clanglee
06-Nov-2007, 09:36 AM
Yeah right, he does sort of sort of look like ed norton screwed a rat, had a baby, and shaved it. . . . . .then raised it to suck.

EvilNed
06-Nov-2007, 03:25 PM
I want to see this version, mostly because I want to see just how badly the new footage blends with the old footage.

bassman
06-Nov-2007, 03:29 PM
I want to see this version, mostly because I want to see just how badly the new footage blends with the old footage.

Don't put yourself through that torture, man. Please....for your own good. Stay away.

DubiousComforts
06-Nov-2007, 05:34 PM
Why do you have to see it to know that it sucks? The new footage does not match at all. Even the simplest of concepts, like the original cemetery scenes being shot on an overcast day, were completely lost on the filmmakers, who shot the new cemetery scenes on a bright, sunny day.

I would have welcomed new material if done properly and in good taste. For example, why couldn't you have seen Bill Hinzman's ghoul violently breaking out of a coffin without actually seeing his face?

Editing out necessary character development in order to add nonsensical characters like Reverend Hicks and then claiming that the film "flows better" is NOT exercising good taste. And Debbie Rochon adds absolutely nothing to the film and shouldn't be allowed to appear in any movie unless she's naked.

capncnut
06-Nov-2007, 07:35 PM
Ned you owe it to yourself to watch this turdfest. I bet that after you've seen it, you own it anyway because it will serve as a reminder to never go near stuff like this again. In fact, it's so crap you might even enjoy it as a comedy.

But Night 30 is like Dawn of the Dead compared to the sequel, Children of the Living Dead. That movie is so s**t it defies words, even Savini's Popeye impersonation cannot save it.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Nov-2007, 11:23 AM
The only piece of new footage in that redux that was semi worth while was the zombies walking up the road. Otherwise that movie is a disgrace. Some people hated the music, but I did like some of it.

SymphonicX
07-Nov-2007, 12:57 PM
My review of NOTLD 30th:

John Russo is a c**t.

End:

(ed: its amazing how someone can update a movie and be shown up by the original footage)

capncnut
07-Nov-2007, 01:09 PM
The only piece of new footage in that redux that was semi worth while was the zombies walking up the road. Otherwise that movie is a disgrace. Some people hated the music, but I did like some of it.
I agree with everything in this comment totally.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Nov-2007, 01:13 PM
Russo missed the mark with that because A. he uses ****ty actors. B. a lot of Romero's footage was slightly overexposed at times or the lighting on certain zombies was very hot, Russo match nothing like this, which was a massive mistake. Another big issue was using a 60 year old to play the zombie he played in 1967... Come on, all the Lucas Magic in the world wouldn't have fixed that massive **** up.

capncnut
07-Nov-2007, 01:23 PM
Using Hinzman was a nice touch I guess but I'll be the first to raise my hand and say that it didn't work. What did work however was the zombie corpse in the car with it's brains hanging out and the music they used for the outdoor zombie feast after Tom and Judy went up in smoke. The re-recorded radio broadcasts weren't too shabby either.

Oh also Ben and Cooper's fight had some real punching sounds instead of that irritating CKKKHHRRR noise. :D

aga
07-Nov-2007, 02:49 PM
I've still yet to see this as I don't want it to tinge the original.

Can anyone confirm if the picture quality is better than Elite's restored version? I remember reading the original negative was used for this, and possibly the new crap was cut in?

DubiousComforts
07-Nov-2007, 04:33 PM
I've still yet to see this as I don't want it to tinge the original.

Can anyone confirm if the picture quality is better than Elite's restored version? I remember reading the original negative was used for this, and possibly the new crap was cut in?

It's not better than the Elite Millennium edition. The 30th image is also cropped.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/nightlivingdead.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare5/nightlivingdead.htm

At this point, we need a high definition transfer in order to see a significantly better image than the Millennium edition.

Yojimbo
08-Nov-2007, 05:50 PM
Strange that a priest should look like Anton LaVey. :rolleyes:

Cap, I knew that is why you liked that dude! :lol:

dogma789
09-Nov-2007, 12:43 AM
Post deleted.

Yojimbo
09-Nov-2007, 12:47 AM
I like the opening music. :confused:

Question is, do you think that it is an improvement over the library tracks that Romero initally used as the main theme? In my opinion the library tracks are far superior to the stupidity put forth by that Anton LaVey wannabe! But hey, that's just me.

DubiousComforts
09-Nov-2007, 02:19 AM
Question is, do you think that it is an improvement over the library tracks that Romero initally used as the main theme? In my opinion the library tracks are far superior to the stupidity put forth by that Anton LaVey wannabe! But hey, that's just me.
Conventional wisdom agrees with you. It's not so much that the new score is bad music when taken on it's own, but here's the problem:

1.) The new music is too cliche. It's a typical synthesized/sampled instrument arrangement and it is too simply structured. Certain parts sound quantized like it's being played by a machine. The overall effect is that it's about as scary as the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack or the Tales From The Crypt theme.

In comparison, the library tracks have acoustic instrumentation playing some very unconventional arrangements (my personal favorite--when Ben prepares to light the chair on fire--is just a female voice and a timpani). There is a human element to all of the performances. Dissonance is also used often for maximum creepiness.

2.) The new music is intercut with the old library tracks which entirely defeats the purpose of having a new score. Not only does this make the soundtrack seem like a patch-job, but the audience is constantly reminded of what they are missing.

3.) The new score has little variety. It's the same tempo and themes repeated over and over. The library tracks are varied by comparison. Some of the more dramatic music (Barbra's flight from the cemetery, and the final attack) feature rich crescendos, while the more atmospheric cues (the ghouls at the kitchen window and the posse) have pulsating ostinados.

Don't even mention the NIGHT '90 score. :eek:

capncnut
09-Nov-2007, 04:08 AM
Don't even mention the NIGHT '90 score. :eek:
LOL, sounds like a below par keyboardist on a cheap ass synthesizer. :lol:

Yojimbo
09-Nov-2007, 05:57 PM
1.) The new music is too cliche. It's a typical synthesized/sampled instrument arrangement and it is too simply structured. Certain parts sound quantized like it's being played by a machine. The overall effect is that it's about as scary as the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack or the Tales From The Crypt theme.

I have to agree, much too mechanical. Quantizing is the last resort for a musician with shoddy technique.

BTW: Consistently amazed by your knowledge, Dubious, this time of music. You speak like my friends who were heavily into theory. Good call.

DubiousComforts
12-Nov-2007, 09:20 PM
I have to agree, much too mechanical. Quantizing is the last resort for a musician with shoddy technique.

BTW: Consistently amazed by your knowledge, Dubious, this time of music. You speak like my friends who were heavily into theory. Good call.
Thanks. It would have been possible to pull off a synthesized soundtrack for NIGHT, but it would take a completely different approach. You can't emulate the richness of the orchestrated brass "stingers," but many of the minimalist arrangements could have been easily matched with a bit of skill and ingenuity. In comparison, just listen to what Karl Hardman did with a primitive synthesizer (more likely a tone generator), a tape echo and a reverb tank--and he wasn't even a musician.

Just the fact that the composer of the 30th anniversary took on the nickname of "Vlad" demonstrates that he was far from the best man for the job. Stupid Aleister Crowley/Anton Levy/skinhead/goatee wannabes make me puke! :D

Mike70
16-Nov-2007, 03:34 AM
i agree with harry knowles-the morons who perpetrated this travestical piece of sheyat should be buried alive.

it is one of the worst-no strike that-the worst thing that has ever been perpetrated on film.

my two year old and his play group buddies could do better.

C5NOTLD
18-Nov-2007, 06:05 PM
i agree with harry knowles-the morons who perpetrated this travestical piece of sheyat should be buried alive.

it is one of the worst-no strike that-the worst thing that has ever been perpetrated on film.

my two year old and his play group buddies could do better.

Yes it is really that bad for anyone who hasn't seen it.
As for the music, they should have lifted the original library tracks and mixed it to any new footage. But unfortunately the new footage is so bad that even using original music wouldn't have helped it.

If you watch the film it won't lessen what you think of the original but only enhances what a masterful job Romero actually did back in 1968.

If there was one film in American History which could be destroyed at the calling of the audience then the 30th anniversary would be the clear winner.

BrodietheSlayer
19-Nov-2007, 05:43 AM
It was indeed horrible, and yet....I own it. I guess I have to break it out every once in a while to remind myself that a suckiness such as this does actually exist.

Almost like looking at an old scar.

C5NOTLD
20-Mar-2008, 08:30 PM
It was indeed horrible, and yet....I own it. I guess I have to break it out every once in a while to remind myself that a suckiness such as this does actually exist.

Almost like looking at an old scar.

:lol:

There is something more disturbing than the 30th anniversary - the way Russo was talking about it before it was released.

In Fangoria 179 he said "We're gonna take out about 15 minutes and put in 15-20. Some places that were slow are going to go and we've already seen they can come out with no detriment. In fact, It gives the movie a more modern pace. Just enough that it works better than before."

And regarding the internet negativity about the idea of doing all of this he said "...But even that has turned around. Now that they're starting to find out the great care and respect we're treating the original with."

DubiousComforts
20-Mar-2008, 11:50 PM
And regarding the internet negativity about the idea of doing all of this he said "...But even that has turned around. Now that they're starting to find out the great care and respect we're treating the original with."

Sadly, Russo isn't the only one to blame as just about everyone on the commentary struggles to point out the "great care and respect" that went into the 30th anniversary edition.

There is no reason why any original footage had to come out. It was a straight-to-DVD release, certainly there would have been no qualms about an extended running time.

There was no reason for a new score. Go back to Capitol Hi-Q (or any other music production library) and fine-tune the soundtrack with the same care that Romero used in putting it together.

There was no reason to use friends, and relatives, and friends of friends and relatives, and assorted acquaintances. An ambitious project such as this requires professionals, not amateurs. The cinematography and lighting of the new footage isn't even clsoe to the original footage, not by a long shot. You have to question the sanity of those that claim it blends together "seemlessly."

Yojimbo
22-Mar-2008, 12:51 AM
There was no reason to use friends, and relatives, and friends of friends and relatives, and assorted acquaintances. An ambitious project such as this requires professionals, not amateurs.

As usual I totally agree with Dubious. All of what he pointed out is true and on the mark, but to me the above statement is, at the very core, the biggest problem this piece of maggoty BS had.

On another note: I have heard that Streiner wrote a lengthy piece which appeared somewhere online in which he vehemently defends NOLD 30th, and -at least in his own feeble mind - refutes all of the criticisms waged against this steaming unholy pile. I am hoping that Dubious or one of the other well-informed zombie heads might be able to point me to that article. I am in need of a good laugh and may feel compelled to wipe my ass with Streiner's article.

DubiousComforts
22-Mar-2008, 03:38 AM
On another note: I have heard that Streiner wrote a lengthy piece which appeared somewhere online in which he vehemently defends NOLD 30th, and -at least in his own feeble mind - refutes all of the criticisms waged against this steaming unholy pile.
I believe you're referring to a piece that Russell Streiner had posted refuting Kyra Schon's online criticism of the 30th Anniversary edition. Following that, Kyra stopped talking about the 30th Anniversary altogether, and I think the web site where their exchange took place no longer exists.

To be honest, I didn't keep track of these issues among the original cast and crew because I happen to like Russell Streiner very much. He never fails to be affable and friendly to fans, and although he is the producer, he certainly hasn't made a career out of milking the original film to the point of nausea. Just a hunch, but I'll bet that out of everyone, Streiner is probably the most frustrated by the copyright problems and simply wished to make a better situation for all that were ripped off.

C5NOTLD
22-Mar-2008, 08:08 AM
On another note: I have heard that Streiner wrote a lengthy piece which appeared somewhere online in which he vehemently defends NOLD 30th, and -at least in his own feeble mind - refutes all of the criticisms waged against this steaming unholy pile. I am hoping that Dubious or one of the other well-informed zombie heads might be able to point me to that article. I am in need of a good laugh and may feel compelled to wipe my ass with Streiner's article.

Back at the time of release I know Kyra originally wrote a long piece online that pretty much sums up what most fans think of it and that was quickly taken down. I think the Streiner piece was a response to her comments.