PDA

View Full Version : Interesting...NO Diary sequel?

Geophyrd
06-Nov-2007, 12:09 PM
Feels wierd to say, given that I put up the allegedly real sequel teaser poster but here it is:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/832/832611p1.html

Romero's Diary Sequel Dead?
George Romero reveals that Diary of the Dead 2 is far from set in stone.
by Chris Tilly, IGN UK

UK, November 5, 2007 - Granddaddy of gore George A. Romero attended a very special screening of Diary of the Dead in London over the weekend, and revealed that -- contrary to reports in the trades -- he has no plans to shoot a sequel... yet.

"I'm not sure where that came from," Romero said when IGN put the question to him. "I wouldn't mind continuing the discussion, but nothing is decided yet. Euphoria seems to have set in even though the film has only screened about six times.

"The only way I can see it being worthwhile is if we use the same characters, which would be the first time I have done that. I don't have an idea yet, but if the idea and the money can meet somewhere in the middle, it's possible."

Romero was speaking at the Film4 FrightFest All-Nighter at the ICA, where his film screened alongside the similarly horrific Planet Terror, Frontier(s), Inside and the exploitation classic Savage Streets.

But the highlight of the night was undoubtedly Romero sticking around to discuss his work. Of Diary, he said his decision to shoot a low-budget zombie film using digital cameras was a direct response to the failure of his previous Dead flick.

"After what happened with Land of the Dead I wanted to get away from Hollywood and do something small and independent," he explained. "The idea came about from the media explosion that's happening at the moment -- we're all reporters now so that idea was buzzing around in my head."

He was also asked if he would do the same as his Diary characters and stay filming whilst a Zombie holocaust raged around him. Romero quipped that he would, but would try and cut a movie deal first.

He also advised the audience to listen closely next time they watch the film as the voices of Stephen King, Guillermo del Toro, Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, Quentin Tarantino, Tom Savini and Wes Craven can all be heard on the soundtrack. He also surprised everyone and admitted that his dream project would be a, bizarrely, a Tarzan movie.

Before leaving, he also revealed his favourite characters from all five zombie films. Living, he went for the sheriff from Night of the Living Dead, if only because he gets to utter the immortal, "They're dead -- they're all messed up." And of those not alive, Romero rather predictably plumped for Bub from Day of the Dead, a hugely popular choice that was met by whoops and cheers from the audience.

A Tarzan movie???

bassman
06-Nov-2007, 01:01 PM
A Romero Tarzan flick? Could be interesting...

I hope he does another film before/if he plans on a sequel to Diary. The man needs a break from the dead genre and come back to it when he's refreshed.

The best directors are the ones that do different films in between their franchises/sequels(Nolan, Cameron, Romero - After all, he did give us Dawn after a long break from the genre;)) and that often seems the best route to take.

capncnut
06-Nov-2007, 01:01 PM
Yup, the Diary 2 news was all wind. Even GAR recently said to the BBC that he had no plans to direct it whatsoever. BUT talking of sequels, I hear Dawn 2 is rearing up. Script all done and 'Hack' Snyder is looking for someone to direct it.

Looks like it's gonna be "Ooh-wah-ah-ah-ah" all over again this time next year. :dead:

Danny
06-Nov-2007, 01:20 PM
nah im guessing itll be all "twist-eed tranzista!" to keep with the times:lol:

but i would liek to see romero do seomthing other than a dead one in this day and age, especially something other than a horror, that'd be cool to see.

Geophyrd
06-Nov-2007, 04:46 PM
as a lobby of fans of dead films, you guys are a little disappointing. What would you like Romero to do? A romantic comedy? I stand by my earlier observation (well, several days ago), everytime George does something non-dead related, it usually sucks. Land of the Dead wasn't terrible (it just looked like ass) and I have hopes for Diary, but my real hope is that Diary does so well that the studios come looking for another diary or a better-financed non-sequel dead film

DjfunkmasterG
06-Nov-2007, 05:14 PM
I hear Dawn 2 is rearing up. Script all done and 'Hack' Snyder is looking for someone to direct it.

Looks like it's gonna be "Ooh-wah-ah-ah-ah" all over again this time next year. :dead:

Ummm, it is not Dawn 2. The film is Army of the Dead, and stop ragging on the man and his first film effort because it runs circles around LAND any day of the week.

bassman
06-Nov-2007, 05:25 PM
as a lobby of fans of dead films, you guys are a little disappointing. What would you like Romero to do? A romantic comedy? I stand by my earlier observation (well, several days ago), everytime George does something non-dead related, it usually sucks. Land of the Dead wasn't terrible (it just looked like ass) and I have hopes for Diary, but my real hope is that Diary does so well that the studios come looking for another diary or a better-financed non-sequel dead film

It's called being an artist and not a one-trick pony.

And DJ....:lol::lol::lol:

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2007, 05:49 PM
*paws away Dj*

Anyway:

Season of the Witch - actually surprisingly good, it had me hooked when I watched it.

The Crazies - awesome.

Martin - awesome.

Knightriders - brilliant movie.

Creepshow - awesome.

Monkey Shines - brilliant.

'nuff said. :D

bassman
06-Nov-2007, 07:42 PM
I actually just now found out that Anchor Bay is releasing a new DVD of Knightriders in a few weeks. Awesome.:D

capncnut
06-Nov-2007, 07:46 PM
Ummm, it is not Dawn 2. The film is Army of the Dead, and stop ragging on the man and his first film effort because blah, blah, blah.
Sure, whatever man. :rolleyes:

I actually just now found out that Anchor Bay is releasing a new DVD of Knightriders in a few weeks. Awesome.:D
Bzought! :cool:

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2007, 08:29 PM
Ah dude COME ON!!!!

I already got the Region 1 single disc a while back, goddamnit it!

*sigh*

Another doovde added to the 'double up when it's cheaper' list to sit alongside Creepshow Region 2. :rolleyes:

bassman
06-Nov-2007, 08:39 PM
Ah dude COME ON!!!!

I already got the Region 1 single disc a while back, goddamnit it!

*sigh*

Another doovde added to the 'double up when it's cheaper' list to sit alongside Creepshow Region 2. :rolleyes:

I don't know if it has any special features or anything. I just saw it listed as being released in a couple weeks and I don't have the movie. It may have some cool special features, but I don't know.

*runs to Anchor Bays site*

MinionZombie
07-Nov-2007, 08:57 AM
The one I've got has behind the scenes home movies (silent) and a cast/crew commentary...probably some trailers, but that's the package really, if memory serves.

clanglee
07-Nov-2007, 10:42 PM
Knight Riders, :lol:. One Romero Movie I could never really get behind. Except for Steven King's cameo as a drunk redneck. Funny!!

RJ_Sevin
09-Nov-2007, 09:19 AM
The Tarzan news isn't news -- George has been calling a faithful adaptation of the Burroughs novel his dream project for a decade, if not longer. Because we're all a bunch of headbanging gorehounds, we tend to think George is, too. He's not -- we're talking about someone who adores TALES OF HOFFMAN and Kurt Vonnegut -- he got typed into the Zombie Guy role and has longed to break out. Too bad he never really got the chance.

dmbfanintn
15-Nov-2007, 07:01 PM
Ummm, it is not Dawn 2. The film is Army of the Dead, and stop ragging on the man and his first film effort because it runs circles around LAND any day of the week.

Ooo-Wah-ah-ah-ah!! :D

capncnut
16-Nov-2007, 06:19 AM
Ooo-Wah-ah-ah-ah!! :D
"Hey, get Burt Reynolds!" :D

Head Shotz
28-Nov-2007, 12:52 AM
OK, I've been out of the loop for awhile. Whats the word on this Army of the Dead film, first I've heard of it.

Doc
28-Nov-2007, 12:58 AM
OK, I've been out of the loop for awhile. Whats the word on this Army of the Dead film, first I've heard of it. I think it's a semi- sequel to "Hack" Snyder's:lol: Dawn of the Dead remake.

Legion2213
28-Nov-2007, 01:00 AM
The Tarzan news isn't news -- George has been calling a faithful adaptation of the Burroughs novel his dream project for a decade, if not longer. Because we're all a bunch of headbanging gorehounds, we tend to think George is, too. He's not -- we're talking about someone who adores TALES OF HOFFMAN and Kurt Vonnegut -- he got typed into the Zombie Guy role and has longed to break out. Too bad he never really got the chance.

Unfortunetely, a "faithful adaptation" of ERB's original Tarzan novel would have him "lynching" black folks for fun...I can hear the screams of outrage/indignation, and the accusations of "hate crimes" already...:rolleyes:

3pidemiC
29-Nov-2007, 02:49 AM
Not to sound too cinical, but I hope Romero has enough time to actually make a sequel to this film if he actually decides to take a break.

Yojimbo
24-Feb-2008, 06:06 PM
What would you like Romero to do? A romantic comedy? I stand by my earlier observation (well, several days ago), everytime George does something non-dead related, it usually sucks.

I don't know, Geo, I sort of liked some of his non-dead work. Knightriders, for instance, I think was well done. Same for Martin, a nice, taut psychological thriller. Jack's Wife (Season of the Witch) and There's Always Vanilla are ok, maybe not in the same class as Martin, but ok. Bruiser felt a little bloated, I'd have to agree, but holds it's own against comparable efforts by other directors.

Personally I would not mind seeing a GAR directed romantic comedy. Though I pretty much loathe that genre, it would indeed be interesting to see what GAR would do with it.

Moon Knight
24-Feb-2008, 08:11 PM
I <3 Knightriders. :thumbsup::thumbsup: