PDA

View Full Version : Got some serious gaming ahead of me, people...

MinionZombie
07-Nov-2007, 02:34 PM
Was in town today doing some filming, so decided to stop into GameStation to get a couple of games to provide some filler play until COD4 gets posted as I checked this morning and the Limited Edition (the one I pre-ordered) hadn't been posted off yet.

So I fancied plugging the gap (I've ended up barging through Portal ever so quickly, just got the end to finish off), so I was going to get COD3 and Project 8 on 2-for-30, but while COD3 was there, I couldn't find Project 8 - but ah-ha, they'd now bumped Project 8 onto the 2-for-20 section, so I ended up getting that and Splinter Cell Double Agent. Not bad for £20.

Then I come home and discover that COD4 is current about to be dispatched, lol - sod's law eh? Like waiting for a bus, none come along and then you get two at once. :D

Still, nothing to complain about, just fancied having a mini-rant...if you could call this a rant. :p

bassman
07-Nov-2007, 02:39 PM
You rant too much.:p

I don't see how you guys play so many games at once. I get one at a time so I can finish one at a time. If I get more than one, I end up going back and forth between the two until I get confused and eventually give up on both games....

SymphonicX
07-Nov-2007, 02:45 PM
same as me, bassman.....atm its Halo 3...I bought Spiderman 3, then my xbox broke - still havent' finished it since it was returned, then bought stranglehold, got to last level, but Halo 3 came out then I started playing that...I kinda should've waited but...its Halo 3....

MinionZombie
07-Nov-2007, 04:28 PM
With the PC it was pretty much one game at a time, but with my SexBox369 for some reason I've been all about multiple games on the go, kinda like I used to do with movies. I'd sometimes have up to 5 or more movies on the go at once - watch a bit of one, stop it, start another a while later, go back to the first one, then start a third and so on.

Now I generally watch a movie one-at-a-time now, but with games, well, when I got my console it came with three, one free with the console and two I bought at the time. I played PGR3 a lot on it's own, then dabbled with Dead Rising, then mixed between the two.

Then I got Saints Row and I played that exclusively and solidly for 2 weeks and a smidge. Then I went back to PGR3 and Dead Rising I think. Then I got Gears of War and Crackdown on a 2-for-£40 offer at GameStation, so I played them at the same time. I'd have a week or a few days on one, then switch to the next when I either got a bit tired of it or got stuck - I'd get stuck on GOW and then go and bosh around on Crackdown. When I got a tad worn out on that after a few days straight, I'd go back to GOW at which point I'd move past where I got stuck.

Then I got Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow Six Vegas at the same time. Played GRAW exclusively for a week and finished it. Then went on to R6V, well, technically started it a little bit during that GRAW week, but anyway, boshed around there for a good couple of weeks, got stuck and then went back to Dead Rising, PGR3 and Saints Row. Then went back to R6V and finished it.

Then it was time for more PGR3 with a snifter of R6V dotted about for some of my favourite levels. Then I took a console diet and binged on PC gaming with HL2: Episode Two, which I played exclusively twice back-to-back over a week. Then I got into the demo's on the OXM issue 127 disc, then got Portal yesterday, which I'll finish later today and thennnnn - boom - mix it up between:

Project 8, Double Agent, and COD4 ... the latter will arrive Saturday or Monday I think.

*sighs, wipes sweat from brow*

And yes, I do other stuff than just game...like watch movies and sleep...it's a fulfilling life. :lol::p:D

Whatever floats your boat or suits your gaming style I guess. If I'm playing through quite swiftly, then I dedicate, if I'm progressing slower (be it my own leisurely pace or tough sections) then I mix it up back and forth - I find it's a good technique for getting past bits that you try time and again but keep f*cking up on, go away and play something else, come back and usually within 5 or more likely 3 tries and you've done the bit you couldn't do beforehand. :cool:

Bloody hell, now that was a rant. :D

CornishCorpse
08-Nov-2007, 08:52 AM
Help a brotha out, review comin soon?

MinionZombie
08-Nov-2007, 09:38 AM
A review of COD4?

Well, it's been posted just over half an hour ago, so I duno when I'll get it, could be Monday. But once I've started playing it I'll certainly pimp my hands-on thoughts on the game.

Otherwise you just have to google up IGN and suchlike for reviews, but I know what you mean, it's always better to get reviews of someone closer to you (*like me, hiding in your closet, Blue Velvet style :elol:*)...

*ahem*

So once I've started getting into it, I'll pimp my initial thoughts. Ooooooh I canny wait! :)

CornishCorpse
08-Nov-2007, 12:30 PM
Lol Blue velvet style? Well Ill be waitin : Loads paintball gun with frozen marbels :

Ive checked the ign site and has plenty of good stuff,they posted a full review of the game on monday that you might want to check it out jus prefer like you said an opinion of someone youve got a bit more faith in. Its a weird world where you go to people youre never going to meet for reviews Lol

Well Im picking up my copy tomororw from my local gaming store so if I manage to get it before you MZ Ill leave the reviewing to you unless you want some extra anticipation? My reviews are too short. Tomorrow is the big day but its friday night so as much as I love gaming Im going to be celebrating surviving another week of ucas and coursework and all that bull.

MikePizzoff
08-Nov-2007, 12:53 PM
I've also got some serious [handheld] gaming ahead of me. My friend just sold me Trauma Center: Under The knife, The New Super Mario Bros, and Castlevania: Dawn Of Sorrow for DS. So far all three are amazingly good games, especially Castlevania; I foresee myself becoming addicted to that game until I 100% it.

MinionZombie
08-Nov-2007, 01:39 PM
You not seen Blue Velvet? I only just got around to seeing it recently...

Anyway, it's coming via Parcel Force, got a tracking number and everything...but I duno whether that means it'll be quick-as-a-raisin-fuelled-sh*t, or normal speed.

Just unlocked my first zone on Project 8, the skate park beside suburbia. :)

Now though - re-watching Sunday's episode of Top Gear! :cool:

capncnut
08-Nov-2007, 08:21 PM
Just unlocked my first zone on Project 8, the skate park beside suburbia. :)
Once you get half of those Skate Park goals done, you're in the big city my man!

MinionZombie
08-Nov-2007, 10:25 PM
lol, I opened up the bit past the suburbia gate after doing the Rodney Mullen thing, amateur filmed tricks and of course, the dude in the beaver outfit.

A much bigger play area already after merely three short sessions on the game without having to really do much. Jason Lee is in it too - noiiice. :cool:

I'm digging the game, me likey likey. Must get on with some SCDA as well though.

Danny
08-Nov-2007, 10:59 PM
i recommend you get THUG 2, thats backwards compatible and it rocks.

capncnut
09-Nov-2007, 12:02 AM
i recommend you get THUG 2, thats backwards compatible and it rocks.
"Ride my mechanical bull, its rad YEAH!" :D

Danny
09-Nov-2007, 12:36 AM
i may have to buy taht again now ive got a new 360, not before halo 3 adn the orange box mind;)

-and seriously, when are lionhead gonna finish fable 2?!?:dead:

MinionZombie
09-Nov-2007, 10:34 AM
Already got THUG2 - for the PC (got a controller for the PC which I used for THUG2 back at uni). It was indeed a good game, as was Pro Skater 2.

Trying to do a stalefish for that woman up the top of that builder's mountain thing is retarded though, you can't get the speed to make it over the rail...or you can't get over in time to make it, bah...screw you hippy chick! :D

capncnut
09-Nov-2007, 11:57 AM
Been having a bash at Proving Ground and it's s**t hot actually. You'd love it, young Minion, as there's only three large interconnecting areas to open up. They have taken Philly from the Tony Hawk games of old and made it a massive new city but incorporating the old gaming area into it. And everyone should know, that's Bam's turf, biatches!

when are lionhead gonna finish fable 2?
Dunno man but it's looking nifty already. They are saying it's Oblivion-esque in scale and that every shop, home and building has it's own mission. Crumbs!

MinionZombie
09-Nov-2007, 12:54 PM
I'll get Proving Grounds when it's on a cheaper offer or something, gotta crack through Project 8 first, which is gonna take longer because - YAY - COD4 arrived about half an hour ago! :)

Geez am I spoiled for choice now! I've only done one of the two training missions on SCDA as well...dizzamn...

bassman
09-Nov-2007, 01:09 PM
I'll get Proving Grounds when it's on a cheaper offer or something, gotta crack through Project 8 first, which is gonna take longer because - YAY - COD4 arrived about half an hour ago! :)

Geez am I spoiled for choice now! I've only done one of the two training missions on SCDA as well...dizzamn...

Definitely let me know how COD4 is. I was very tempted to pick it up while I was out last night but decided to wait and hear what it's like.

If you say it's good, i'll probably end up getting it tonight.:D

I heard COD3 wasn't very good, but I loved COD2...

MikePizzoff
09-Nov-2007, 01:14 PM
And everyone should know, that's Bam's turf, biatches!

PFFFT. I live just outside of Philly and I'm always there. FDR Skate Park is not Bam's turf at all. He goes there a lot, sure, but most skaters there don't really like him.

The dude's a prick. We were doing a show there once and Bam pulled up in some fancy car and tried fighting my friend because he got too close to it. Well, then, maybe you shouldn't ****ing try to show off your stupid $100k car by parking it in the middle of a crowd of punks and skaters, moron.

EDIT: Maybe if he actually lived in the city, or possibly the burbs of the city, then he could somewhat say it's kind of like his turf. Or if maybe he helped out the group that upkeeps FDR and raises money to get it worked on. :rolleyes:

Danny
09-Nov-2007, 02:12 PM
yeah, i dont think its a secret to anyone that bam margera is cock of ron jeremy proportions.:rolleyes:

MinionZombie
09-Nov-2007, 05:41 PM
Am at the start of the fourth mission, but forced myself to come away to savour it for as long as possible. :D

So far it's bloody good, the first mission on the boat had my heart racing, especially at the end. The credits intro is really cool, and the first two proper missions (the boat is "prologue") are bloody good too. Lots of action, it feels good to play even on the joypad (I maintain that FPS games simply are best on PC's ultimately)...but yeah, I'm loving it.

It'd be a wise purchase methinks bassman, lots of sh*t going down, lots of action, drama, cinematic chaos - bloody good I say. :cool:

Tricky
09-Nov-2007, 07:10 PM
Am at the start of the fourth mission, but forced myself to come away to savour it for as long as possible. :D

So far it's bloody good, the first mission on the boat had my heart racing, especially at the end. The credits intro is really cool, and the first two proper missions (the boat is "prologue") are bloody good too. Lots of action, it feels good to play even on the joypad (I maintain that FPS games simply are best on PC's ultimately)...but yeah, I'm loving it.

It'd be a wise purchase methinks bassman, lots of sh*t going down, lots of action, drama, cinematic chaos - bloody good I say. :cool:

Hmmm,i bet its a succulent delight on my PC!:D must.....resist.....till...payday!at which point crysis will be out as well,aaaaargh!plus ive still got other games i havent finished!gaming is a lot more relentless than it used to be with the sheer volume of decent titles getting released weekly!

MinionZombie
09-Nov-2007, 07:19 PM
Well I highly recommend COD4, I think you'd love it Tricky.

In fact, I'm off to bosh around on it now...simply...cannot...resist...its...charms.

*runs off to SexBox*

...additional...

Well ... that's COD4 done and dusted, chaps. :cool:

My only gripe is that, as reviews have said, it's a bit on the short side...but by golly it's bloody superb when it's going. And of course, it's the sort of game you'll have to play a good few times just to soak in all the drama, all the action and all the sights.

No doubt some of these next gen titles are a bit on the short side due to space constraints on the discs, which is why this bloody next gen DVD war thing needs to hurry up and get settled.

But I guess it goes by as quickly as you allow it to, to some respect. I had bugger all to do this last 48 hours, so I just played COD4 constantly. Also, if you're playing it on a hard setting, you'll take a damn sight longer too no doubt.

It's addictive, that's why I just sat around playing it...complete a mission, then see how awesome the next one looks, then you think "I'll go to the checkpoint and then quit" ... then you go beyond that until you think "Oh I'll just finish the level then" ... and then the whole 'checkpoint' theory begins again, but you're just too much of a glutton to resist and you gorge yourself on the creamy goodness. :cool::D

Anyway, back to COD4 - bloody brilliant and definitely very worth playing. The chaos, the scale, the drama, the story, the characters, the guns - everything is tip top. If you loved COD2, you'll cream over COD4 - nuff said really.

Oh, and wait the end credits out, because after those you get a short bonus mission where you have something like 5 minutes to complete your objective, and even as a bonus mission, it's bloody good. :D

I'll head back to Project 8 now, but I'll be back for more COD4 most certainly very soon.