PDA

View Full Version : Help - computer won't go idle

MikePizzoff
08-Nov-2007, 02:06 AM
About a month ago my computer suddenly stopped going idle. Like, my screen saver will come up, then the monitor will turn black after a half hour, like I've always had it set to, but when the monitor goes black the power light on it stays green, instead of flashing orange like it used to, which signifies the computer is in standby.

Also, I used to always go idle on AIM. But since this started happening, people tell me I haven't been idle in over a month.

I didn't change ANYTHING on my computer, it just suddenly stopped setting not only my monitor but also my AIM idle. Anybody know what could cause this and how to fix it?

PS - Before telling me the obvious stuff, save it, I'm not an invalid.

acealive1
08-Nov-2007, 02:16 AM
check all your standby stuff from the start/control panel/display menu and then see if it does the same thing

MikePizzoff
08-Nov-2007, 03:17 AM
check all your standby stuff from the start/control panel/display menu and then see if it does the same thing

:mad: didn't you read my PS?!

:p

kortick
08-Nov-2007, 03:51 AM
mike

there are a lot of screwy things that happen with aim

you might want to uninstall aim then re install it

it sounds like its an odd thing to do

but i only say this cuz i know a lot of people who
have had aim mess up thier comp in some odd way

good luck

and be nice to ace
it doesnt cost anything lol

DeadJonas190
08-Nov-2007, 05:36 AM
If you downloaded any updates or game patches recently try to uninstall them and see if it helps. I assume since you let your computer go idle that you don't shut it off. Try a restart if you haven't already, somtimes windows will go nutty if it's left running for too long.

And yes, I am still stating the obvious because sometimes we forget the most obvious, so take no offense as none is intended.

acealive1
08-Nov-2007, 11:40 AM
:mad: didn't you read my PS?!

:p

well in that case sir,you are on your own.

MikePizzoff
08-Nov-2007, 12:32 PM
I've already tried everything suggested here, thanks anyway guys.

DjfunkmasterG
08-Nov-2007, 01:09 PM
If you computer isn't going idle it is most likely because one of your drives is remaining active. Why they are active can be many reasons including your computer being hacked and turned into a zombie (yes this is an actual problem)

The best way to see if your PC is being snooped on is disconnect from the internet. Let it set idle for a few hours. See if it goes into standby mode, if it does than your problem is in your network/firewall or a program is making your HDD remain active.

Check the obvious settings, but all PC's today don't need to go into standby mode. If you are running a newer montior (5 years or less) and Windows XP you don't need to let the PC go into stand by mode.

Also XP has been known not to go into Stand By mode recently because of some hotfixes by microsoft, and with the age of google.... just google your problem. I stopped relying on our IT department at work because they know jack sh!t and all my answers are on google.