PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone doubt Mario Galaxy?!

Terran
10-Nov-2007, 10:52 AM
From Gamespot:

Some of the best level designs of any 3D platformer
Beautiful, colorful graphics
Controls work just about flawlessly in nearly every situation
Soundtrack is a delight
Lots of stages and tons of stars to find and collect.

When all is said and done, the thing that really makes Super Mario Galaxy such a standout game isn't the fact that it's another Mario game, but the fact that it doesn't even need to be a Mario game to be successful. Sure, it's got all the nostalgic flavor Mario fans would want, with the updated soundtrack, familiar foes, and various other Mario-related bric-a-brac scattered throughout the adventure, but the game never leans on these nostalgic aspects as a crutch. It instead puts the whole of its focus on its gameplay design, and with good reason. You could probably swap in just about any other characters from practically any other franchise, and this would still be a phenomenally fun game. That it layers all these memorable characters and components on top of that phenomenal design just makes it all the sweeter. If ever there were a must-own Wii game, Super Mario Galaxy is it.

Gamespot 9.5/10
Official Nintendo Magazine UK 97 / 100
Game Informer 9.8 / 10
gamesTM 9 / 10
PALGN AU 10 / 10
GameSpy 5 / 5
IGN 9.7 / 10
Gametrailers 9.8 / 10
Computer & Video Games UK 9.5 / 10

Was there any doubt that this game was going to be great with all the delays to refine it!....

Bring on the holidays I have a feeling that this is going to be a Wii christmas with probally Xbox360 coming in second...(not sure how distant of a second though)....I need to get myself a 360....I really want to play Mass Effect....but Ive been waiting for the systems to be less defective....

Some lady asked me the other day "With all these toys turning out to be toxic what are we supposed to buy our kids for christmas?"
I casually said with a big grin "Video games of course!"....I was playing them around 5 years old so that covers a very broad age range....

Danny
10-Nov-2007, 07:05 PM
its.shigeru.miya-****ing-moto.

of course this marios gonna rock...or dare i say it ,rawk, and now weve got sonic and snake we need chief in a smash bros game to have an all time gmaeing icons brawl.

capncnut
10-Nov-2007, 09:49 PM
Yup, another game I have been waiting for. Some of the vids look sweet.

Terran
11-Nov-2007, 10:58 AM
And we all thought Halo sold a lot of games....imagine how many of the Wii owners will buy this game...60% of them?....more than that...?.....Less than that?.....

slickwilly13
11-Nov-2007, 02:30 PM
I played Mario last week. Looks good.

DeadJonas190
11-Nov-2007, 07:21 PM
If 50% of them buy it it will outsell every big game this year, Halo 3 has only sold a little over 3 million so far. Call of Duty 4 is estimated to sell over 4 million, but its a cross platform game so that doesnt count :)

capncnut
11-Nov-2007, 09:34 PM
There are two kids in my family who are getting a Wii each for Christmas because of this one game alone. Yeah, Mario Galaxy will shift consoles big time.

Terran
11-Nov-2007, 11:24 PM
I hope their parents already have one ready to give the kids....or I wish them luck in finding one before the holidays are over...

Danny
11-Nov-2007, 11:29 PM
aye its definatley gonna be a sleeper hit, every time the media doesnt think a game about an overwieght new york plumbers going to be a hit but it sells out every time.

-plus, on topic, take a look at the sig above^

capncnut
12-Nov-2007, 02:17 AM
I hope their parents already have one ready to give the kids....or I wish them luck in finding one before the holidays are over...
Yeah, fortunately they do. The stores in the UK seem adequately topped up at the end of each week though. If one is persistent and a regular at the stores, it wont be a problem hunting a Wii down.

Danny
12-Nov-2007, 02:09 PM
plus this new mario has co-op play, just a little tidbit, plus when you get all the stars you have to replay it as that lanky streak of piss luigi.;)

CoinReturn
14-Nov-2007, 07:26 PM
I picked this up when I went to reserve Mass Effect. There haven't been many titles worth owning on Wii this year, so I'll keep my expectations low. That way I can be really blown away at how good a game it is :)

Ok, been playing for about half an hour.

Super Mario Galaxy is ****ing amazing. The controls are buttery smooth, the graphics rival those of a 360 or PS3 game, and the Wii Remote features don't feel "tacked on". The best part so far, surprisingly enough, is the music. Its just so, so good.

Danny
14-Nov-2007, 10:28 PM
every review has said it makes sunshine look like crap, and i for one liked sunshine so i cant wait to get one, when wiis are back in stock 'o course.:mad:

slickwilly13
06-Dec-2007, 03:35 PM
Has anyone beaten Super Mario Galaxy or know how long it is? Btw, I have found several copies in my area. Before Thanksgiving, I took advantage of TRU's buy 2 get one free deal for Nintendo games. I got stuck with Soulcalibur Legends, which I have read so-so reviews on. Hastings has already told me that they would give me store credit for any unopened game. I lied to them and told them this b.s. story about buying it from them, but lost the receipt. So, I now have a choice of any Revolution game out there, since all titles are currently in stock and in large quanities. Lucky me. I'm leaning towards Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy. But I am concerned with the length of SMG.

capncnut
17-Dec-2007, 07:35 PM
If one is persistent and a regular at the stores, it wont be a problem hunting a Wii down.
Okay disregard this quote as it is utter bollox. It is physically impossible to get a Wii right now. :eek:

Danny
18-Dec-2007, 08:14 AM
been playing it for a while, even did a blogcast with my cohost ive yet to upload just playing it adn talking, it is the best wii game so far, its not gimmicky, its a really great game, easily on par with any other system, if youve got a wii buy it!

Rottedfreak
18-Dec-2007, 03:35 PM
Between this or Super Mario 64 you cant go wrong with either. It's not what Super Mario 64 was for games but it is it's equal.