PDA

View Full Version : DOTD 30th Anniversary Edition

Yojimbo
10-Nov-2007, 09:12 PM
OK, so there is no such thing...yet!

But thinking it over and especially after having my memory of the NOLD 30th jogged by a previous thread, it occurs to me that it is only a matter of time that some bastards that were tangentially involved in the original DOTD 1978 puts together a 30th aniversary edition of DOTD, replete with new added footage in the vein of NOLD 30th. The horror, the horror!

So in honor of the DOTD 30th anniversary comming up soon, I thought that fans of the original should have first crack at coming up with ideas for the additional footage. A stripper hiding in Penny's, watching Steve and Peter watching Roger battle the maintenance man ghoul? Or maybe a backstory showing how the Nurse Zombie and Escalator Zombie were on a blind date when the dead began to rise. Maybe Givens has a massive stroke, or we see the skipper and his fake cop lackeys on their way to the police dock? Or the touching moment when Stephen talks Fran into trying it first without a condom? Stupidity is in the eye of the beholder, so have at it.

SRP76
10-Nov-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't think there's anything that can be added to the original. It's complete, the way it is. If you tried to add to it, you'd probably end up with a 4-hour movie.

capncnut
10-Nov-2007, 09:53 PM
GAR should just re-edit all the existing footage into his own extended cut and just do another commentary or something. Extras, mmm, how about some convention footage for a change?

MaximusIncredulous
10-Nov-2007, 09:59 PM
I don't think there's anything that can be added to the original. It's complete, the way it is. If you tried to add to it, you'd probably end up with a 4-hour movie.

I think they will need to invent material in order to pad it out.

Yojimbo
10-Nov-2007, 10:39 PM
Dudes, I was trying to be funny, though I do like the suggestions that came through. This thread was inspired by how the original NOLD was virtually raped by the 30th edition, what with the lame-ass new soundtrack, non-matching additional footage and stupid backstories.

But again, good suggestions all the same. I, for one, would welcome an 8 hour version of DOTD, provided it get's GAR's approval.

In GAR We Trust!

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2007, 10:52 PM
After the Ultimate Edition they've blown their load, all over our faces with gusto. :D

Sorry to be crude...well, not sorry, overjoyed to be crude, but still...a 30th anniversary edition would be kinda pointless now due to the epic UE DVD...it'd have to be some kind of new fancy box set or something, like come with an action figure or something really special and include new extras none of the other releases have.

Hmmm...*strokes chin*

Legion2213
11-Nov-2007, 01:19 AM
After the Ultimate Edition they've blown their load, all over our faces with gusto. :D

Yeah, and we loved it! :lol:

Maybe they should just re-package the UE with some kleenex. :D

capncnut
11-Nov-2007, 03:45 AM
I don't think the Ultimate Edition is worth spooging over. I have all the solo discs, all the documentaries and every extra except for the Foree mall tour, the home videos and the easter eggs. I sure as s**t ain't paying £20 for a fancy box. :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
11-Nov-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah, for you it's not worthwhile, but for folk who don't have all those separate disc - boom - all-in-one matey.

Prior to that I didn't have Dawn on DVD, so it was perfect. As a single package it's great. Not great if you already have all that stuff, but if you didn't - there you go.

Although I already had Document of the Dead on VHS, but two parts had the sound mashed up for some odd reason (picture was fine), so it gave me a nice clean copy of it.

capncnut
11-Nov-2007, 09:04 PM
Although I already had Document of the Dead on VHS, but two parts had the sound mashed up for some odd reason (picture was fine), so it gave me a nice clean copy of it.
Ah! You had the VHS I had, the sound just goes all tits up during the Two Evil Eyes segment. Something went wrong with the NTSC to PAL video transfer and they were all mass shipped.

Also the scene at the beginning was removed, "This is like living in Pittsburgh... if you can call it living!" from the DVD.

The Document solo disc is great (depending on what one) but you get some deleted scenes and a Roy Frumkes commentary. That said, I do prefer the regular hour long version (minus Two Evil Eyes segment) which is the original and much better.

Legion2213
11-Nov-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't think the Ultimate Edition is worth spooging over. I have all the solo discs, all the documentaries and every extra except for the Foree mall tour, the home videos and the easter eggs. I sure as s**t ain't paying £20 for a fancy box. :rolleyes:

Only cost me £13 delivered from Amazon US ($20 + $6 P+P). I only had the Cannes cut on VHS before I got it, so well worth the money IMO.

Anyways, I sure do be a sucker for fancy packaging...who could resist the Anchor Bay 2 disc Day of the Dead DVD with notes that look like Dr. Logan's note pad and cool fold out box with Bub on the cover? :D

MinionZombie
12-Nov-2007, 09:57 AM
I know I couldn't resist that release of Day, hence it being in my collection. :cool:

Doc
13-Nov-2007, 02:20 AM
I'm lost just how much Day and Dawn merchandise is there?

Danny
13-Nov-2007, 02:52 AM
I sure as s**t ain't paying £20 for a fancy box. :rolleyes:

and yet HMV uses that as there key marketing tactic thinking people will:rolleyes::lol:

sandrock74
14-Nov-2007, 03:34 AM
I don't know about you guys but I always wanted to know the story of the zombie who fell onto the escalator and broke his fool head open and killed himself by accident. I always wondered what his story was. I dunno why exactly...I just wondered.
I think that warrants a few minutes of "bonus" footage!

RustyHicks
28-Aug-2008, 08:19 PM

Ahh but it was worth it for me. I never got a chance to see
the Euro version of Dawn, could never find a cut of it here,
anywhere in Canada. Was happy when they came out with the
UE box set, the docs were worth it, as for a 30th ann edition,
I don't think there is much else to be done.

How about an on video Commentary that plays while you
watch the film, a commentary by George, Tom and the
cast of Dawn.
I've seen this video commentary done with the movie
Jerry McGuire

darth los
28-Aug-2008, 08:25 PM
the Euro version of Dawn, could never find a cut of it here,
anywhere in Canada. Was happy when they came out with the
UE box set, the docs were worth it, as for a 30th ann edition,
I don't think there is much else to be done.

How about an on video Commentary that plays while you
watch the film, a commentary by George, Tom and the
cast of Dawn.
I've seen this video commentary done with the movie
Jerry McGuire

I agree, many of those cuts and extras are rare and hard to find. As a matter of fact, the first time i saw the euro cut was when i bought the ultimate edition. But you know that one day there will be a Super Duper Ultimate Limited edition that will make this one obsplete anyway and that we'll all be rushing to get a copy.

Bub666
28-Aug-2008, 11:08 PM

I have to agree,it was worth it to me too.

MikePizzoff
28-Aug-2008, 11:19 PM
But you know that one day there will be a Super Duper Ultimate Limited edition that will make this one obsplete anyway and that we'll all be rushing to get a copy.

How, though? I thought the Ultimate Edition had everything there is? I mean, aside from rare trailers/TV spots in foreign countries, I'm pretty sure there isn't anything else they could offer us.

capncnut
29-Aug-2008, 01:21 AM
How, though? I thought the Ultimate Edition had everything there is? I mean, aside from rare trailers/TV spots in foreign countries, I'm pretty sure there isn't anything else they could offer us.
Yeah there's a little bit more. I have a couple of Dawn related documentaries that aren't on the Ultimate Edition.

The Arrow edition of Martin has a great little German documentary with GAR being interviewed at the mall during the time of the Dawn shoot. It contains behind the scenes footage that I have never seen before in my life.

The Ultimate Edition is good (I have recently acquired it), don't get me wrong but I don't think the extras are anything to shout about. Of course Document Of The Dead and The Dead Will Walk are awesome documentaries but the endless trailers and galleries didn't impress me very much.

MinionZombie
29-Aug-2008, 10:27 AM
pfft, begone all this Ultimate Edition hate! :D

The UE is awesome, but I can understand why it wouldn't be as awesome for those who'd run out and spent double or more the amount of cash on a whole batch of separate releases. :p

Aye - I've got that release of Martin you're on about Capn, that doc is interesting, it's just annoying that GAR is speaking in English, but he's dubbed over in German at the same time, and then for the benefit of us English speakers to understand what's being said, we've got to read subtitles. :lol:

capncnut
29-Aug-2008, 12:37 PM
pfft, begone all this Ultimate Edition hate! :D
Nah there's no hate per-se, it's a great package to have if you haven't got any other version apart from the theatrical. All I'm saying is that if you already have the three films and the two docs (which I did) then it's little more than a pretty box to look at.

Aye - I've got that release of Martin you're on about Capn, that doc is interesting, it's just annoying that GAR is speaking in English, but he's dubbed over in German at the same time, and then for the benefit of us English speakers to understand what's being said, we've got to read subtitles. :lol:
Yeah, it is a shame - maybe the folks who shot that doc still have all the raw footage. Would be nice to watch it without the foreign voice overs.

Also there's an Italian Dario Argento doc that's similar which has some previously unseen material too. Both could've been included on the Ultimate Edition.

darth los
29-Aug-2008, 01:17 PM

That's what they said about the last i-phone. :p Trust me, if it'll make them money they'll find some "lost footage" or something in order to justify making and selling an entirely new boxed set.

bassman
29-Aug-2008, 01:20 PM
But is Anchor Bay really known to release new sets just for the money? I mean, to my knowledge they've always been a company that puts out rare films that are hard to get. In good fashion too.

EvilNed
29-Aug-2008, 03:07 PM
They should do a new score, written by Hans Zimmer. It should be bombastic and cool. Then have Michael Bay recut the film, and shoot some new scenes with the helicopter.

darth los
29-Aug-2008, 04:33 PM
They should do a new score, written by Hans Zimmer. It should be bombastic and cool. Then have Michael Bay recut the film, and shoot some new scenes with the helicopter.

Even though the technology exists to enhance the film ( Better, Stronger, Faster !! :lol:) I don't think it's something they should do. I know it has been done with Star Wars and a couple of other films but i think that it goes against what the vision that the Creator originally intended.

MinionZombie
29-Aug-2008, 04:56 PM
Even though the technology exists to enhance the film ( Better, Stronger, Faster !! :lol:) I don't think it's something they should do. I know it has been done with Star Wars and a couple of other films but i think that it goes against what the vision that the Creator originally intended.
Bung a couple of Taun-Tauns in the background of the rednecks shooting zombies and you'll never notice - GUARANTEED. :lol:

Then you can digitally impose Mekhi Pfifer's head over Ken Foree's for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

:hurl:

DjfunkmasterG
29-Aug-2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah, for you it's not worthwhile, but for folk who don't have all those separate disc - boom - all-in-one matey.

Prior to that I didn't have Dawn on DVD, so it was perfect. As a single package it's great. Not great if you already have all that stuff, but if you didn't - there you go.

Hey I have all the separate discs, and the documentary on a separate DVD issue, but I still own the ultimate edition. Hell I even the Blu-Gay edition.

MinionZombie
29-Aug-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey I have all the separate discs, and the documentary on a separate DVD issue, but I still own the ultimate edition. Hell I even the Blu-Gay edition.
Wanna badge? :p

j/k

You sir, are a special case. :sneaky::)

capncnut
31-Aug-2008, 06:09 AM
Wanna badge? :p
http://www.upload.moldova.org/social/2006/mar/Blue_Peter_Badge.gif