PDA

View Full Version : "The Mist" NYC premiere

thxleo
13-Nov-2007, 06:17 PM
I was fortunate enough last night to catch the New York city premiere of "The Mist". I'm not really big on giving in depth reviews of movies, but I really enjoyed the film. I was actually surprised how dark the movie was. It was what horror films should be...no character is safe in this film. And one character's death is so deserved you will applaud when it happens.
I also got the opporunity to meet Stephen King, Frank Darabont, and the cast at a party afterwards(thanks to some guy named Nicotero? ;)). I've always loved Frank Darabont's work and this film is well written, like all of his films. And he couldn't have been a nicer guy to boot!

bassman
13-Nov-2007, 10:07 PM
Awesome, man. I bet that was loads of fun.

I know that you some how know Greg Nicotero, if you don't mind telling, how do you know him?

thxleo
14-Nov-2007, 01:00 AM
Awesome, man. I bet that was loads of fun.

I know that you some how know Greg Nicotero, if you don't mind telling, how do you know him?

I've been a fan of his forever. I met him several years ago at a convention and he gave me his contact info at KNB, which by the way he does for lots of others as well, because I wanted to purchase an airport zombie bust from him. We stayed in contact thru email, talking about the Steelers alot. Because of him I was able to be a zombie extra, along with Monrozombi and DJfunkmasterG, on "Land of the Dead". Because of him I was able to take Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, Edgar Wright, and Simon Pegg on tours of the Monroeville Mall and Evans City cemetery. He has allowed me to be a guest at KNB and let me spend time with him and his family in L.A. And now introduces me to Frank Darabont and the cast of "The Mist"! I hope that doesn't sound like bragging, because it's not. He does things like that for lots of other people too. It just shows what kind of person he is. He is a great guy and still remembers what it's like to be a fan. I don't know if you've ever met him, but if you ever do he'll make you feel like you've known him forever.

kortick
15-Nov-2007, 11:39 PM
its nice to know that some people are not asses
its cool you got to hang

Neil
22-Nov-2007, 07:59 AM
Seems to generally be getting good reviews... I'll try and catch it at the cinema...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34872

slickwilly13
22-Nov-2007, 04:28 PM
I have read positive reviews as well. I hope to catch it by this weekend.

DubiousComforts
24-Nov-2007, 01:42 AM
Oh my God! This movie is unbelievable. Without giving away any spoilers, let's just say that The Mist is this decade's NIGHT or DAWN. Frank Darabont has some major cojones for pulling it off.

Oh yeah, ignore all the reviews and see it for yourself. Nobody has gotten it right yet, including the AICN review. This isn't a movie about monsters; it's a movie about us and we're the monsters.

Kaos
24-Nov-2007, 07:55 AM
I just saw "The Mist" tonight. Wow. Sticks very close to the source up until the end then BAM!...turns way darker. I left the theater stunned. Art is supposed to affect you emotionally... and this flick is the real deal.

Danny
24-Nov-2007, 08:04 AM
GEEKASM!

im a big king fan and cannot bloody wait for this flick, trouble is nowere, even imdb has the uk release date that i can find:mad:

Neil
24-Nov-2007, 08:09 AM
GEEKASM!

im a big king fan and cannot bloody wait for this flick, trouble is nowere, even imdb has the uk release date that i can find:mad:

Seconded!! You watch it'll come out for halloween for us!

24-Nov-2007, 09:55 AM
GEEKASM!

sux for you guys
really really REALLY sux for you guys.
I saw it today and all I can say is...

i hope your poor brains don't explode waiting for it.

it was that good.
mmmmmmm misty goodness.

oh and also

**** Frank Darabont!!!!

apparently he has the exclusive screen rights for The long Walk.

so that's another awesome King piece he gets to do.

WHEN'S IT GONNA BE MY TURN FRANK?????
WHEN?

Danny
25-Nov-2007, 08:11 AM
ah man, the long walk, now thats a good movie premise, would it shift box office tickets however? erm, im guessing no.

25-Nov-2007, 08:46 AM
ah man, the long walk, now thats a good movie premise, would it shift box office tickets however? erm, im guessing no.

i'd have to sadly agree. the book is long, drawn out, there really is no movie-style payoff in the end. It'd be a hard transition for something so very psychological. knowing today's movie audience there'd have to be vampires or torturing serial killers to be walking away from.

slickwilly13
01-Dec-2007, 08:33 AM
I just watched the 12:30 a.m. showing a little while ago. Much better than I hoped. Great gore effects and a damn good story.

ProfessorChaos
01-Dec-2007, 12:04 PM

given today's standards of what a "good" film is, i doubt that it would do too well. i'd love to see an adaptation of "road work"....probably one of my favorite king stories of all time.

ProfessorChaos
09-Dec-2007, 07:01 AM
so i went and saw the mist tonight, and overall, i thought it was pretty good. the run time seemed a little long to me, and i think that they could've cut a little bit out (pregnant pauses, slow-motion shots, etc)...and the music that was playing towards the very end really got on my nerves (one of those tracks with a woman incoherently ooohing and aaahhing....you surely know the type....weird vocals that aren't words......just seemed outta place).

as for the ending, it was kinda predictable, from my view...i'd not been spoiled by reading anything on the net about it, but i kinda saw where it was going...nonetheless, though, it still was pretty sick.

overall, i really enjoyed it....fits with stand by me, the shawshank redemption, carrie, etc as a great film adaptation of mr. king's imagination....not quite your crappy made for tv adaptation i've come to expect of late with regards to king's works.

DeadJonas190
09-Dec-2007, 07:27 AM
I just saw "The Mist" tonight. Wow. Sticks very close to the source up until the end then BAM!...turns way darker. I left the theater stunned. Art is supposed to affect you emotionally... and this flick is the real deal.

I haven't read the book yet, can you tell me in a PM how it ended?