PDA

View Full Version : what are the firearms laws like where you live?

Mike70
16-Nov-2007, 02:52 AM
ohio has some of the, well, most liberal firearms laws in the country-hell, maybe anywhere.

it is legal in ohio to carry a concealed firearm on your person in public if:
a. you are a citizen of ohio
b. are not a convicted felon/escaped mental patient.

there are places where you have to leave your shooting irons outside like hospitals, etc. and property owners (mostly dept. stores/malls and like) can exclude them-but they have to post a clearly visible sign at the entrance.

now it is not all wild west here. ohio has some of the strictest "self-defense" laws anywhere in the US-in fact there is no real self-defense under the law here. it is referred to as justifiable homicide. if you ventilate someone you had better have a damn good reason and said ventilated person better have been armed.

DeadJonas190
16-Nov-2007, 03:19 AM
Ohio has some messed up laws to begin with, toss what you just said into the factor and I have to say it is a very strange state.

Mike70
16-Nov-2007, 03:26 AM
Ohio has some messed up laws to begin with, toss what you just said into the factor and I have to say it is a very strange state.

which laws are you referring to?

DeadJonas190
16-Nov-2007, 03:40 AM
None specifically, but it seems every time I hear about Ohio laws they are a bit out there. I have family that lives there and I hear some weird stuff.

kortick
16-Nov-2007, 05:23 AM
gun laws are pretty standard
you have to pass a background check
and wait 7 days for a gun
you can buy a shotgun right away

the back ground check is a joke tho
my friend who had been arrested for drugs and other things
and had been committed to a mental hospital
was approved to buy firearms

and you can carry a gun if you say you carry large sums
of money for work or some other reason

and if someone comes in your house you can
paint the walls with their brains with no trouble
its like that in most places

there are lots and lots of guns around

acealive1
16-Nov-2007, 05:29 AM
my friend who had been arrested for drugs and other things
and had been committed to a mental hospital
was approved to buy firearms

isnt it the same with nice jobs and stupid people? they get to the top of these companies and couldnt work the entry level job to save their soul

Eyebiter
16-Nov-2007, 05:05 PM
NRA State firearms law guide http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=74

zombiegirl
16-Nov-2007, 07:17 PM
We have conceal and carry here too but you have to have a permit after going threw a background check and taking a safety coarse with a passing mark. Also we have a lot of hunters and such here and it is not illegal to have guns in your vehicle as long as they are in plain view. We have a lot of gun racks along the back window of pick up trucks here. Especially during deer season.

SRP76
16-Nov-2007, 10:19 PM
I could never figure out what the "waiting period" is supposed to accomplish.

You either A) have the proper documentation, which allows a person to own a firearm or B) you don't.

Waiting isn't going to change that.

Mike70
17-Nov-2007, 02:13 AM
I could never figure out what the "waiting period" is supposed to accomplish.

You either A) have the proper documentation, which allows a person to own a firearm or B) you don't.

Waiting isn't going to change that.

i believe that the waiting period is meant to keep people who are hot under the collar and intent on murder or suicidal from buying a firearm on impusle on using it.

MissJacksonCA
17-Nov-2007, 05:58 AM
I'm not sure EXACTLY what they are but i'm sure without any doubt that they're totally freewheeling about their firearm laws...why? Because when I go into the Olive Garden it says that you're not allowed to bring in any unlicensed fire arm ... in essence... if you're packing heat it best be legit OR ELSE!

God bless Texas...

Marie
17-Nov-2007, 02:09 PM
i believe that the waiting period is meant to keep people who are hot under the collar and intent on murder or suicidal from buying a firearm on impusle on using it.

If you knew me, you'd know that if I had murder or suicide in mind, lack of a gun wouldn't stop me, and especially in the case of suicide, death can be found in oh so many ways that don't involve a gun.

They're just trying to close the barn door and the mare's already out on that one.

M_

Mike70
17-Nov-2007, 02:58 PM
If you knew me, you'd know that if I had murder or suicide in mind, lack of a gun wouldn't stop me, and especially in the case of suicide, death can be found in oh so many ways that don't involve a gun.

They're just trying to close the barn door and the mare's already out on that one.

M_

i am not agreeing with the waiting period or saying that it does anything to deter people with violence/suicide on their minds. i am saying that i think this is the rationale used by the idiots and morons we call a govt. to have a waiting period at all.

MoonSylver
17-Nov-2007, 05:42 PM
While we DO have concealed carry, pretty much EVERY public place has the "not permitted on premises" sign posted, thus it seems somewhat pointless...:rockbrow:

Marie
18-Nov-2007, 12:29 AM
We only have permits for concealed carry, no real limits on the number of guns or what you have. I think we sell guns to South Carolina, who sells guns up and down the east coast.:D

M_