PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy "digital/online" music?

Legion2213
20-Nov-2007, 06:26 PM
Just prompted to ask this because of a thread here today.

I refuse to buy my music in this form, I want something tangable for my money, even if it is only a jewel case, a CD and a bit of cover art. Same with DVD's and books. If I hand over cash for something I want it in my hand...I really can't see the attraction of buying online music.

Your opinion may differ

mista_mo
20-Nov-2007, 06:31 PM
"Im an idiot. my posts dont mean anything. dont read this."

keeping this here because some moron edited my post to say this.

I originally said

I download stuff from limewire but i'd rather buy the CD itself if i liek the artist

MinionZombie
20-Nov-2007, 06:33 PM
I too like to have something for my money that I can hold, plus I enjoy the packaging, especially when it's a special edition.

But evidently the download music via iTunes thing is very popular...it's a very mainstream thing I think, downloading choons for free is comparitively a fringe activity I'd say...and of course the thing is, of people who download for free, a teeny-tiny minority download exclusively...many people who download for free already spend a fair whack of their cash on the real deals - CD/DVD.

Legion2213
20-Nov-2007, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I've downloaded a lot of "free" music, but if I like it, I buy the CD, if I don't like it, I delete it...sort of try before you buy. :D

I have kept a few OOP choons/albums, but only because I cannot find them on ebay etc (mainly old obscure techno/trance/rave stuff from the late 80's/early 90's). I don't feel that this is stealing, because I would be more than willing to buy the stuff if I could find it.

Khardis
20-Nov-2007, 09:03 PM
I dload everything this way. I love Itunes and believe in paying for the stuff i dload instead of stealing it. I am glad I dont have to buy things anymore and have trash to deal with when i can just dload it digitally. IMO thats the way to go, if I want to see it in my hand I just burn it to a disc.

MikePizzoff
20-Nov-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm actually a record collecting snob and try to obtain all albums I own on vinyl. If there is absolutely no release of it on vinyl (which is extremely rare, considering I don't really listen to many bands after like 1992) I will then purchase a CD. But, no way, will I ever pay to download music. I like owning the packaging and just sitting there reading the linear notes while listening to the album.

mista_mo
20-Nov-2007, 10:46 PM
ummm wtf happened to my post...

Danny
20-Nov-2007, 10:58 PM
i download a lot of free music, but if its something i really dig, like HIM's latest album for example, ill still be waiting outside hoomv for it to open the day the album comes out.

DeadJonas190
21-Nov-2007, 07:07 AM
I download music if I can't find it in a store, but I prefer to own the cd as I don't really have a portable mp3 player and don't care to spend the money on one.

Dommm
21-Nov-2007, 12:03 PM
only really download when I cant find what I want, and if I cant find it on pay for sites then I would download the freebie, seeing as I would pay for it if it was available.

Legion2213
21-Nov-2007, 12:12 PM
Those of you who download, what are you going to if your HD melts/blows up or some bastard nicks yer puter?

MikePizzoff: I haven't owned a record deck for decades...pretty pricey for good one these days I believe....Hell, the CDP I want wil cost me £500! Won't be getting it this side of 07. :D

Dommm
21-Nov-2007, 12:27 PM
They could backup, and most people have these titles on there Ipods already.

Legion2213
21-Nov-2007, 01:06 PM
They could backup, and most people have these titles on there Ipods already.

I thought that music bought via download could only be copied so many times and onto one machine?

I might be wrong, as I have no real interest this format.

DjfunkmasterG
21-Nov-2007, 01:52 PM
I went with the majority. I never pay for downloaded music. I want a physical CD in my hand when I shell out $$$$ for something.

zombie04
21-Nov-2007, 05:07 PM
I've never paid to download music and I don't intend to either. I'll download it for free and if I like it enough, then I'll happily purchase the cd or record (I don't listen to too much music past the early 90s) but the problem is so much of what I like is out of print so most stores won't have it or it will cost too much on ebay.

Dommm
23-Nov-2007, 03:05 PM
I thought that music bought via download could only be copied so many times and onto one machine?

I might be wrong, as I have no real interest this format.

You can copy it as many times as you like but there is a username and password attached to it...

There is way arounfd this buit cant post that here and I dont beleive its right to do it :rolleyes: