PDA

View Full Version : Books that need to be made into films...

Mike70
21-Nov-2007, 03:30 PM
or remade as the case maybe.

ape and essence by aldous huxley
a canticle for liebowitz-walter miller. this is one of the truely great post-apoc stories out there.
alas, babylon-pat frank
rendez-vous with rama-clarke. this one has been in development hell for eons.
god emperor of dune-herbert
whipping star and the dosadai experiment-herbert
we- zamyatin. the godfather of all dystopia novels.
the silmarillon-tolkien. this would work much better as a 6-10 part mini-series. unless you took one of the stories-beren&luthien or the story of turin and made a film of that.

remake:

on the beach-nevil shute. this was filmed in the 60's.
logan's run-another one that has been stuck in development hell since the sermon on the mount.

Legion2213
21-Nov-2007, 05:17 PM
Great thread!

The Elric Books: by Michael Moorcock (Sword and Sorcery at it's best)

The Spellsinger Series: by Alan Dean Foster (Fantasy, with a lot of humour)

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: by Stephen Donaldson (Best Fantasy series I've ever read)

The Watcher: by Charles Maclean (Horror)

The Bounty Hunter Wars: by K.W. Jeter (Because it's probably the best set of Star Wars EU novels and Boba Fett rules)

The Drowned World and Drought: by J G Ballard

Anything by David Gemmell, especially anything set in "The Drenai Universe" or the "Jerusalem Man" series

I'll think of more later!

Danny
21-Nov-2007, 08:51 PM
the.dark.****ing.tower.;)

MinionZombie
21-Nov-2007, 08:57 PM
All of Chuck Palahniuk's other books, stop faffing about Hollywood and get them made! Apparently some are in talks, but have been for arse-ing ages.

"Haunted" would make a rather good film I say...especially if someone like David Fincher got their mits on it.

Ivarr
21-Nov-2007, 10:15 PM
Just a few to join the conversation.

Remakes:

Day of the Triffids

Food of the Gods too ... but closer to the actual book.

The Running Man .... as it was writen..... not the mess the movie ended up being. (OK action film... little to do with the book)

Slithis

New:

World War Z (on its way ... hope they don't F it up.

Ariel

A Feast Unknown

Dream Park (Or California Voodoo Game)

SRP76
21-Nov-2007, 10:22 PM
World War Z (Max Brooks)

The Eyes of the Dragon (Stephen King) - it's been 20 freakin' years! Someone get off your ass and do it!

Crisis on Infinite Earths (multiple, DC) - comics count, right? They need this, to clean up tv show/movie continuities.

Danny
22-Nov-2007, 01:57 AM
how much would it cost for the actors alone?:confused:

SRP76
22-Nov-2007, 02:02 AM
how much would it cost for the actors alone?:confused:

Actors for what?

Danny
22-Nov-2007, 02:48 AM
crisis on infinite earths.

SRP76
22-Nov-2007, 03:02 AM
crisis on infinite earths.

Ah.

Probably not much. You'd only need a few people from each incarnation (almost none of the "support" characters actually get used).

You'd be dealing in mostly tv actors (not much money there) and not-exactly-Bruce-Willis-payday movie actors.

Only Batman and Superman really have established tv/film stuff. Everybody else would have to be cast; just hire lesser-known actors for that.

Damn, this could be a thread in itself.

Danny
22-Nov-2007, 03:12 AM
lesser knowns,lol, how about dean kain for superma-

wait.

SRP76
22-Nov-2007, 03:13 AM
lesser knowns,lol, how about dean kain for superma-

wait.

Well, he does SciFi Channel swill, so you know he must work cheap.:D

But he's already cast. He's the Superman of, say, Earth-4 (the numbers wouldn't be the same as in the original). As opposed to Earth-8's Superman, who was killed (this would explain why Christopher Reeve isn't there anymore), but Gene Hackman remains as Luthor.

And so on.

The people that need to be cast are the Wonder Woman/Green Lanterns/Flashes type people.

dannoofthedead
22-Nov-2007, 03:38 AM
God Emperor of Dune would definitely be great.

Starship Troopers (as it was written w/ the skinnies and bugs both)

Job: A Comedy of Justice (another good one from R.A.H.)

Good Omens (neil gaiman and terry pratchett)

Farenheit 451 (ray bradburyonly if they do it how the book was written.)

Home Delivery (stepehn king. it was a good novellette w/ zombies)

Danny
22-Nov-2007, 05:24 AM
comic book wise Y the last man would make a good lost or heroes style series as opposed to the movie thats in production, same goes for the walking dead.

MikePizzoff
22-Nov-2007, 07:41 AM
logan's run-another one that has been stuck in development hell since the sermon on the mount.

I actually love the original Logans Run movie and didn't know it was based off a book!

Danny
22-Nov-2007, 07:50 AM
dude, i dont know how they could improve on the origional, it still totally stands the test of time.

clanglee
22-Nov-2007, 07:54 AM
The Original Raymond Feist series, Magician, Silverthorn, Darkness at Sethanon.

Eye of the Dragon and Dark Tower would be awesome!!

Confederacy of Dunces (think that has been planned and dropped a few times)

Mike70
22-Nov-2007, 03:11 PM
I actually love the original Logans Run movie and didn't know it was based off a book!

i am a HUGE logan's run fan. both the movie and the tv series (which i have acquired).

the book is far, far different than the movie or tv show. check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RE6X4FbBfs

cheesiest 70's intro music ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owNi60LLK1c

dude, i dont know how they could improve on the origional, it still totally stands the test of time.

they probably couldn't but i would still like to see someone try- just as long as it isn't uwe boll.

Legion2213
22-Nov-2007, 04:36 PM

Excellent series!

dannoofthedead
23-Nov-2007, 02:03 AM
At the risk of envoking the wrath of everyone on this page, what is The
Raymond Feist series?

Legion2213
23-Nov-2007, 12:59 PM
At the risk of envoking the wrath of everyone on this page, what is The
Raymond Feist series?

The Riftwar Saga/Series - the three books that Clanglee listed are considered the best (and the only ones I've read).

There are several other volumes, but the original trilogy listed by Clang is excellent.

capncnut
23-Nov-2007, 01:42 PM
The A to Z of London. :D

Legion2213
23-Nov-2007, 04:35 PM
Scipio70: There was a remake of "on the beach" made in 2000 apparently...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_%282000_film%29

Neil
23-Nov-2007, 04:39 PM
'Rendezvous with Rama' in 3D...

It's being done, but not sure if it's 3D...

Cykotic
23-Nov-2007, 08:58 PM
that would be cool....

How about "Neuromancer" or maybe "Microserfs"

Mike70
25-Nov-2007, 01:07 AM
Scipio70: There was a remake of "on the beach" made in 2000 apparently...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_%282000_film%29

holy sheyat! and its even got rachel ward in it. gotta check this out. quick batman race to the nearest torrent site.

Kaos
25-Nov-2007, 06:56 AM
Yep,

On the Beach was remade in 2000 by Showtime. I wasn't particularly thrilled with the cast, but it was gut wrenching in parts. Worthy of a rent.

Danny
25-Nov-2007, 08:10 AM
how about computers for dummies: the movie, cus ive spent the alst 2 days giving my fmaily tech support and i dont know jack, i mean you know people need help when they dont know what "click on the start button" means.

GhostWolf
25-Nov-2007, 08:50 AM
Most of you will probably laugh at me. But at least i know that we have the capabilities computer wise to make some impressive CG or such... Anyway. Friend got me into Warhammer 40k. Been reading the fiction to help with certain aspects of the gaming world i didn't quite understand, and i've got to say that Dan Abnett's 'Gaunt's Ghosts' series would make a few impressive movies. That or the 'Eisenhorn' series.

Other than those, the few i can think of would be as follows i suppose;

Prayers for the assassin- Robert Ferrigno (interesting concept)

Constantine-Hellblazer Warlord or Subterranean - John Shirley

Or the Dresden Files by Jim butcher (any of them) I like the books, i liked the Sci-fi take, think it would make interesting movies.

These and the ones listed previously would be great in my opinion.

Tricky
25-Nov-2007, 03:30 PM
I think when making books into films these days they should follow the example of lord of the rings & make a series of them so they can include a lot more of the books detail,rather than trying to cram it all into a couple of hours of film.I know there was quite a lot missing from the lord of the rings films as opposed to the books as well,but they covered more than they would have if it had been a single film

MinionZombie
25-Nov-2007, 05:32 PM
Of course, the thing with LOTR is it's so vastly huge and epic as a book, that it's amazing they managed to fit in as much as they did in the three movies - even the extended versions.

DVW5150
29-Nov-2007, 05:00 PM
Author Patrick Duffy :
The Drawing of the Dark .

If anybody else here has read this, you understand.:elol:

Danny
29-Nov-2007, 05:13 PM
id like to see david lynch adapt house of leaves for film.

thatd be a cult film from day one.

Maitreya
30-Nov-2007, 06:52 AM
or remade as the case maybe.

god emperor of dune-herbert

whipping star and the dosadai experiment-herbert

I agree 100% with those choices, McKie's probably my favorite character that Herbert's written, and whipping star and dosadi experiment are way up there on my favorites list by him.

The only thing about God Emperor is that it requires the presence of Leto (you're well aware of his physical state at this point). I'd just hope that Scifi wouldn't do it, or if they did that it got an amazingly huge budget.

Another Herbert book I'd love to see made into a movie would be the Green Brain, that one could be potentially awesome... Hell, most all of his books are awesome, make them all into movies!

bassman
30-Nov-2007, 04:13 PM
Although it's a collection of articles and short stories, I would love to see The Great Shark Hunt(Hunter S. Thompson) made into a segment style film. With Johnny Depp, of course. Though I hear he's still trying to get The Rum Diaries filmed....

Mike70
30-Nov-2007, 04:21 PM
McKie's probably my favorite character that Herbert's written, and whipping star and dosadi experiment are way up there on my favorites list by him.

yeah boi! i'd love to see the bureau of sabotage done up right. i have always loved the entire concept behind that. plus the whole thing about stars being sentient beings. incredible scifi.