View Full Version : Argento or Romero?

Andy
22-Nov-2007, 02:18 PM
I Got the 4 disk ultimate edition boxset the other day, and watching through each version (like i do) i got thinking, which version do you guys all prefer between dario argento's european cut and the US theatrical cut which is romero's preference, and why do you prefer whichever?

Please note the third option in this poll, if you havn't seen the european cut please vote for that as i want this to be a fair comparison between the two versions.

Personally i like argento's european cut, its like watching a completely different film, i think the pacing works better and i prefer the sountrack.

Doc
22-Nov-2007, 02:34 PM
Yet to see the Euro version. So whats the difference between it and U.S.? Besides being shorter and probably taking some scenes out.

Mike70
22-Nov-2007, 02:47 PM
actually i prefer what is referred to as the "extended" cut. the one that is 139 (or is it 137) mins long.

"great and when you're finished with the roll we'll drop it off at the drugstore."

Yet to see the Euro version. So whats the difference between it and U.S.? Besides being shorter and probably taking some scenes out.

the european version- some of the scenes are a bit longer and have more dialouge.

the biggest thing that was cut would probably be the helicopter zombie scene. that is not in the european version at all.

Philly_SWAT
22-Nov-2007, 03:25 PM
Personally i like argento's european cut, its like watching a completely different film, i think the pacing works better and i prefer the sountrack.
I agree that it is like watching a totally different film, but imo a far inferior film. All of the subtle things that are part of Romero's genius are cut out by Argento, and I think that the Goblin is overwhelming when used to such a large degree. I can listen to the music cues form Dawn, and I can "see" in my mind exactly what was happening onscreen when that cue was used. With the Argento cut, as I recall, most of the music was the same few Goblin songs (which I love by the way) used over and over, and dubbed in SO LOUD that it almost drowns out the dialogue in some places.

Dead Hoosier
22-Nov-2007, 03:32 PM
I guess I'll always like the US cut best, probably because it's the one I saw well over 100 times before seeing the others. I like the novelty value of the added scenes of the Euro cut, but some of them (especially the extended dock scene) I think we justifiably chopped. I also like the music with the US cut better, but again, through sheer repetition and because it's my favorite film of all time, it's bound to be that way.

Andy
22-Nov-2007, 05:16 PM

Its shorter and faster paced, with some scenes taken out and alot of scenes which are not in the US cut too, which admittedly are mostly dialogue. plus the complete goblin soundtrack.

Legion2213
22-Nov-2007, 05:29 PM
I actually prefer the Cannes cut...probably due to it being the first one I owned on VHS.

Philly SWAT: You are so right about the booming music in certain parts of the Argento cut...very annoying! :mad:

capncnut
22-Nov-2007, 08:41 PM
Theatrical. I said it in the previous poll and I'll say it in this one.

Yojimbo
22-Nov-2007, 09:47 PM
Like a few of the other responders, I prefer the Cannes Cut, though I do see why Romero made the changes that constitute the Theatrical Version. While I do like the Euro cut for the extended dialogue, I prefer the Theatrical primarily because it is edited better. As pointed out, the Euro Cut's utter reliance on the Goblin soundtrack is in my mind inferior to the library tracks used in Theatrical. For example, that scene when Wooley gets shot by Peter: In the Theatrical cut, the music stops at the moment Wooley gets it and does not resume until Roger et al are looking at the dead bodies on the floor of the "not that room" apartment. This pause in the soundtrack enhances the scene, unlike the Euro cut where the zombie theme keeps going and going and going.

Andy
24-Nov-2007, 01:01 PM
People who said cannes, you have missed the point, i could of listed every version of dawn there is and asked you to pick your favourite but i didn't, i picked george romero's preffered cut (the theatrical) and dario argento's cut and asked you to do a straight comparison between the 2.

The cannes cut or any other version dosn't come into that question at all :p

major jay
24-Nov-2007, 05:24 PM
My favorite's Romero's cut.
But the audio commentary on the European cut is awesome.

axlish
26-Nov-2007, 02:21 PM
and i prefer the sountrack.

:|

georgefox
16-Dec-2007, 07:17 PM
theatrical because that was the first i saw when i was 12 last year

DubiousComforts
16-Dec-2007, 07:42 PM
The theatrical cut... 1 billion percent, though I appreciate the other versions and being able to take in all the extra footage and music. I wish all the removed footage and outtakes were available for NIGHT as well.

Doc
22-Dec-2007, 04:35 AM
Just say the Euro version. MAN Dario Argento went crazy with Zombi. I don't know if it's probably because I saw the U.S. version first, but it did not fit into the scenes IMO.

MikePizzoff
22-Dec-2007, 05:36 PM
I really can't answer this because it depends on what mood I'm in. If I want more of an action-oriented, fast paced version I'll watch Argento's cut.

i prefer the sountrack.

:barf: As much as I love Goblin's soundtrack his overuse of them in the Euro cut is disturbing/laughable; the song "Zombie" is played SEVEN TIMES throughout the film... I mean, come on!

Doc
22-Dec-2007, 08:11 PM
:barf: As much as I love Goblin's soundtrack his overuse of them in the Euro cut is disturbing/laughable; the song "Zombie" is played SEVEN TIMES throughout the film... I mean, come on! AGREEEED!:lol:

EvilNed
23-Dec-2007, 01:31 PM
I love Goblin music, infact I have almost all of their music on my harddrive (Got ahold of it long ago). I have yet to see the European cut, but I'm currently in an Argento spree which I might top off with the Romero cut of Dawn. I still have The Stendahl Syndrome, Phantom of the Opera and Cat O'Nine Tails to run through first, tho.

I don't like the library music in Dawn. Especially at the end, where Peter "saves the day". It's ridiculous. But the theatrical is my preferred cut out of the Cannes and Regular. A longer film does not mean a better film.

Yojimbo
23-Dec-2007, 05:19 PM
People who said cannes, you have missed the point, i could of listed every version of dawn there is and asked you to pick your favourite but i didn't, i picked george romero's preffered cut (the theatrical) and dario argento's cut and asked you to do a straight comparison between the 2.

The cannes cut or any other version dosn't come into that question at all :p

Sorry, brother. I was one of those who said Cannes.

In the scope of your question, I have voted for Theatrical. Tighter than Euro, better use of soundtrack, has the helicopter zombie.

Euro does hold a special place in my heart since, after seeing the theatrical version and Cannes' for so many years it was too cool to be blessed with another take on the story with w/ more dialogue.

Andy
23-Dec-2007, 05:56 PM
Sorry, brother. I was one of those who said Cannes.

In the scope of your question, I have voted for Theatrical. Tighter than Euro, better use of soundtrack, has the helicopter zombie.

Euro does hold a special place in my heart since, after seeing the theatrical version and Cannes' for so many years it was too cool to be blessed with another take on the story with w/ more dialogue.
Lol no need to apologise man :)

blind2d
13-Feb-2008, 03:10 PM
Heck yes! Helicopter is tight!

MinionZombie
13-Feb-2008, 03:21 PM
Holy crap, I completely missed this poll first time round.

Personally my actual favourite cut is the Extended Cannes Cut, but out of the two here - GAR's and Argento's theatricals, I will blatantly go for Romero's.

Argento's is interesting, but the music is done poorly, it doesn't match at all, the film loses a lot of power due to the wrong music used at the wrong points. Either there's none when there needs to be, or there's way to much (and the wrong sort) when there needs to be quiet.

The Argento cut itself is only interesting to see Dawn, a very familiar film to me, in a different way through someone else's eyes - and through the eyes of another country and culture no less. It's cool to see the bits you don't see anywhere else, but ultimately too much quality is removed in Argento's cut, so out of the two on offer in this poll...

Romero's theatrical ... but the Cannes Cut is the best I say.

bloodletter
13-Feb-2008, 04:25 PM
Romeros' cut- not only for the soundtrack, but it was the one that screwed me head up in the first place! :D

Monrozombi
13-Feb-2008, 05:17 PM
I went w/ Romero's cut of the film. There is nothing wrong w/ Argento's cut, its just made for a different audience and even Romero has stated that the Euro cut has alot of the humor removed that he put itn. I love Goblin and put Argento's in from time to time but for most of my DOTD viewings it is actually the Extneded cut