PDA

View Full Version : Day or Land

Doc
25-Nov-2007, 10:46 PM
Recently I've been hearing on other boards that people prefer Land to Day. I just want everyone's opinion which between the 2 in your opinion is superior.

Legion2213
25-Nov-2007, 10:56 PM
Day of the Dead, without a shadow of a doubt.

Who couldn't love Bub?

Who didn't feel the urge to strangle the annoying whimpering little gimp Miguel?

Who didn't want to pork Sarah?

Who didn't think Rhodes was the coolest psycotic bad-ass ever?

Great movie with characters who made me feel something (positive or negative), people who held my interest and people who's fates I was interested in.

Land...pfff, I really didn't care about anybody in it.

AcesandEights
25-Nov-2007, 11:01 PM
Oh no...a versus thread :stunned: Wait a second. Let me walk back to the front door of this thread and check all my reason and logic.

Now then, since opinions were asked, I'm going to go with Day. Day is expertly created to build gut-grinding tension, primarily based on the absurd and self-destructive behavior of the survivors, where it succeeds greatly. It also has, in my opinion, the best gore in any of the films.

This is not to say that Land is without its charm, I just refuse to get into the same old conversation about Land, even if it's cheaply dandified up like a $20 whore. ;)

SRP76
25-Nov-2007, 11:04 PM
Who couldn't love Bub?

Who didn't feel the urge to strangle the annoying whimpering little gimp Miguel?

Who didn't want to pork Sarah?

Who didn't think Rhodes was the coolest psycotic bad-ass ever?

I hate Bub.

Sarah is about #3,980,562,122 on the list of women I'd like to bang. Not exactly desirable.

However, I would love to choke Miguel to death.

And Rhodes was great.

So, I guess 2-out-of-4 ain't bad.:D

All in all, Day was a lot more tolerable than Land.

Legion2213
25-Nov-2007, 11:06 PM
I hate Bub.

Mods...is he allowed to say stuff like that? Aren't there penalties for such behaviour here? :D

SRP76
25-Nov-2007, 11:09 PM
Mods...is he allowed to say stuff like that? Aren't there penalties for such behaviour here? :D

I like my zombies eating people, not learning to shave.:p

Doc
25-Nov-2007, 11:10 PM
I hate Bub. Blasphemy :mad:

Come on he was at least better than Big Daddy.

SRP76
25-Nov-2007, 11:12 PM
Blasphemy :mad:

Come on he was at least better than Big Daddy.

To be fair, waking up with a horse's head in bed with you is more pleasant than watching Big Daddy. It doesn't take much to top him.

AcesandEights
25-Nov-2007, 11:12 PM
I hate Bub.

Damn...

Doc
25-Nov-2007, 11:14 PM
To be fair, waking up with a horse's head in bed with you is more pleasant than watching Big Daddy. It doesn't take much to top him. Well, you got a point there. :lol:

Mike70
26-Nov-2007, 03:14 AM
i am one of the heretics here who think that day is the best of the lot. my favorite movie ever.

Doc
26-Nov-2007, 03:30 AM
i am one of the heretics here who think that day is the best of the lot. my favorite movie ever. Don't worry Day is also my favorite....:shifty:

panic
26-Nov-2007, 05:53 AM
I agree, Day is Romero's best.

Don't worry Day is also my favorite....:shifty:

ProfessorChaos
26-Nov-2007, 07:23 AM
that's like asking: "who would you rather bang: jennifer aniston or rosie o'donnell?":lol:

day. not even worth debating.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Nov-2007, 12:48 PM
I couldn't pass this poll up especially with my hatred for LAND. :elol:

Day is 1,000,000,000 times better than LAND. It has a better crafted story, better characters, better directing, it was just a great film from start to finish, but it doesn't hold a candle to DAWN.

Also, did someone here say they hate Bub?

And this person is still breathing?:shifty::sneaky::lol:

Funny... where are all the LAND LOVERS now? :lol: :D

bassman
26-Nov-2007, 12:55 PM
Funny... where are all the LAND LOVERS now? :lol: :D

One of them is right here. And I doubt you will find any of us that think Land is better than Day. I voted for Day.

It's been said to you many times that even though we think Land is a worthy entry, it's still the least of the bunch. :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
26-Nov-2007, 01:10 PM
I voted for Day over Land, but I still love Land, it may be the least of the series, but it's still great.

Back to the Future 3 is the least of the series, but it's still awesome. Die Hard 2 (or 4) is the least of the series, but it's still great - and so on.

Quit reaching Land Haters.

Day has a 20 year lead over Land, it's inevitable that this was going to be the result, it's as obvious as Paris Hilton being a slut.

Speaking of Day, I've got a hankering for it, must go re-watch for the umpteenth time...then follow it up with Land, nyah-ha! :cool::)

Mutineer
26-Nov-2007, 01:17 PM
Day or Land ?

That's like asking if you prefer Hot Chicks or Fat Girls.

Land sucked. Day is my favorite of the Romero films.

Edit --

Land is like the new Star Wars films; I petend they don't even exist. Still in awe that anyone can say Land was worthy. Horrible film and a joke of an execution.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Nov-2007, 01:27 PM
it's as obvious as Paris Hilton being a slut.

Paris Hilton is a slut? :confused: When did that happen? :moon::lol:

It's been said to you many times that even though we think Land is a worthy entry, it's still the least of the bunch. :rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic with my original comment. How could I not take a pot shot at Land when at the time I voted it s 9-0. :rolleyes:

Trin
26-Nov-2007, 01:59 PM
I call Day my favorite as well. But if you put up a poll of Dawn vs. Day I'd still be thinking about it 2 years from now.

Land is the horror equivalent of Caddyshack 2.

Skippy911sc
26-Nov-2007, 03:55 PM
I call Day my favorite as well. But if you put up a poll of Dawn vs. Day I'd still be thinking about it 2 years from now.

Land is the horror equivalent of Caddyshack 2.

When I first read that I thought WHAT!!! Land was not that bad...then I thought about it a little bit more and decided maybe Caddyshack 2 wasn't such a bad flick...I did like Randy Quad in it...

I think of it in these terms I turn on the TV and both are on which do I watch...DAY.

I did not like Land for many of the reasons mentioned but most of all it was because of the elites ;)

bassman
26-Nov-2007, 04:03 PM
I did not like Land for many of the reasons mentioned but most of all it was because of the elites ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

ah man.....I just spewed some of my soda...

ProfessorChaos
26-Nov-2007, 06:26 PM
a vote for land...by axlish? is this the same axlish with his own notld68 site? :rockbrow:

MinionZombie
26-Nov-2007, 07:32 PM
a vote for land...by axlish? is this the same axlish with his own notld68 site? :rockbrow:
He's showing it some love, and a thumbs up from me to him for it. :thumbsup:

Doc
26-Nov-2007, 09:42 PM
a vote for land...by axlish? is this the same axlish with his own notld68 site? :rockbrow: I recall a post saying he/she hates Day. I forgot which thread though.

clanglee
26-Nov-2007, 10:27 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, my hero.

Doc
27-Nov-2007, 11:41 PM
Land sucked. Day is my favorite of the Romero films. Yes

Land is like the new Star Wars films; I petend they don't even exist. Yes

Still in awe that anyone can say Land was worthy. Horrible film and a joke of an execution. Agree:confused:

clanglee
28-Nov-2007, 12:05 AM
wow, i'm really surprised that Land got any votes at all. much less, two even.

jdog
28-Nov-2007, 04:32 AM
day for me. my second favorite movie. dawn is the first.
but lands not that bad

Trin
28-Nov-2007, 04:55 AM
I can actually see why someone might prefer Land over Day. I think Day loses some people because it was so heavily consumed with the human vs. human conflict.

Beneath the surface all the movies have really been about human vs. human conflict, but both Night and Dawn still spent considerable time showing the humans in immediate danger from zombies. The struggle against the zombies is what put the humans in the pressure cooker situation whereby the human vs. human conflict could boil.

Day spent virtually no time portraying the zombies as a threat. It used the claustrophobic nature of the setting and the competing interests of the characters to spark the conflict between the humans. I can see how that would leave some wondering, "What about the zombies?"

If all you are looking for is a zombie action movie then Land delivers more.

ProfessorChaos
28-Nov-2007, 09:44 AM
If all you are looking for is a zombie action movie then Land delivers more.

i think you forgot to add "crappy-looking cg zombies" to your previous post.;)

Trin
28-Nov-2007, 01:23 PM
i think you forgot to add "crappy-looking cg zombies" to your previous post.;)I grew up on Dr. Who movies. I thought the zombies looked quite realistic. :)

Mike70
28-Nov-2007, 01:49 PM
I grew up on Dr. Who movies. I thought the zombies looked quite realistic. :)

yeah i grew up watching doctor who on PBS as well. i am very forgiving when it comes to special effects.

MaximusIncredulous
28-Nov-2007, 10:25 PM
Day in a heartbeat. Best looking zombies ever.

Land's zombie makeup only works if it's a sequel to Night 90.

clanglee
29-Nov-2007, 12:25 AM
You know, Land's effects weren't too bad (with the exception of the two ovbious cgi scenes, the zombie priest and the drawbridge head crush) but Day had some of the best zombie makeup ever.

Land's zombie makeup only works if it's a sequel to Night 90.

I always thought the makeup in Night '90 was rather excellent.

ProfessorChaos
29-Nov-2007, 12:42 AM

Agreed, sir.:)

3pidemiC
29-Nov-2007, 02:41 AM
I definitely agree with the majority of your here in saying that Day is the superior film. Now don't get me wrong, I still love Land, but it just does not stand up to it's predecessor. I consider Day to be the best of the series for quite a few reasons. I believe that the overall feeling of the film is what stands out the most to me. Day just makes you really think about the situation at hand and just how bad things have become. I love seeing the destroyed city at the beginning because it really gives your an idea of just how bad things have gotten. The idea of our existence coming that close to an end is very interesting.

The musical score, gore, characters, setting and other aspects are superior as well.

MaximusIncredulous
29-Nov-2007, 03:56 AM

Not an attack on Night 90's makeup, it's just that Land's makeup was very inconsistent with Day in terms of decay.

MinionZombie
29-Nov-2007, 10:19 AM
Not an attack on Night 90's makeup, it's just that Land's makeup was very inconsistent with Day in terms of decay.
But remember though that Land was made 20 years later, the effects were by Nicotero & Co, not Savini and that there were some zombies which were absolutely emaciated.

I see where you're coming from though, but still - Dawn wasn't consistent with Night and Day was nowhere near consistent with Dawn.

Partly not a cause for concern because the films aren't direct sequels, but rather different universes which all have living dead outbreaks going on, but we come along at consistent junctions.

3 days, 3 weeks, 3 - 8 months (I'd go for somewhere around the latter if they're all that stir crazy), and finally 3 years.

You could whinge about the makeup in Day in a really nerdy-noo way, if it's only 3 months in, surely some of them are a bit too decayed, and also with Logan theorising that they could go on for 10 to 12 years, how mashed up are they going to be by that stage?!

So the difference in make-up is nothing to get in a twist over, and that's why. :)

Danny
29-Nov-2007, 10:29 AM
I definitely agree with the majority of your here in saying that Day is the superior film. Now don't get me wrong, I still love Land, but it just does not stand up to it's predecessor. I consider Day to be the best of the series for quite a few reasons. I believe that the overall feeling of the film is what stands out the most to me. Day just makes you really think about the situation at hand and just how bad things have become. I love seeing the destroyed city at the beginning because it really gives your an idea of just how bad things have gotten. The idea of our existence coming that close to an end is very interesting.

The musical score, gore, characters, setting and other aspects are superior as well.

ah, now see, i like them both equally, but i cannot remember any music from land but i can from day, make of that what you will.

MinionZombie
29-Nov-2007, 10:36 AM
The music in Day was better - who can resist the end credits song, I know I can't - but I also really dug the music in Land. It was a bit more 'back seat' than in Day, but the end credits theme in Land still sticks with me.

*said tune starts swirling around noggin*

Niiiiice.

Trin
29-Nov-2007, 01:57 PM
I don't recall anything off in the zombies in Land. They looked like zombies. The main thing that would make them look more like zombies is if there were 10 times as many of them. But overall I'm pretty darned forgiving on the effects.

I've always loved the music from Dawn, and then the music from Day blew me away. Both are used superbly to set the tone of the movies.

I was looking forward to see how the music was updated for Land, but after coming out of the theater from Land I couldn't remember the music. I've watched it a couple of times since and still cannot remember the music at all. I'll put that on my list of things to pay attention to for the next viewing. :)

3pidemiC
29-Nov-2007, 03:06 PM
I was looking forward to see how the music was updated for Land, but after coming out of the theater from Land I couldn't remember the music. I've watched it a couple of times since and still cannot remember the music at all. I'll put that on my list of things to pay attention to for the next viewing. :)

I feel the same way about it. The only thing I really remember was the one piano chord when the zombie mob saw the city in the distance.

MinionZombie
29-Nov-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm rewatching Land today, just got the last 20 minutes to go, and I remember the music. Perhaps it's a thing some people are more likely to remember than others, it's like music in general. I'm pretty ropey are remembering the words, but the instruments - the music - that I can remember quite well.

Yeah, Dawn and Day had superb music, Land was on-par with Night at least, if not a bit above I say.

Watching Land again has confirmed that I still love it and appreciate it very much, and I also like how it's completely different from the ones before, as each of them are to one another. If he'd just done Dawn 2 it would have been properly disappointing...and hence why Day bombed when it was originally released, people were expecting Dawn 2 ... with Land, the haters were expecting Night/Dawn/Day 2 ... and they can "oh it just sucked" as much as they like, but you flat out know that my statement is true...at the very least for some.

I was expecting something different, and even from the trailers/preview clips/just hearing about it - it was plainly obvious it was going to be different, just like all the others were different from each other ... so you could, in a way, say it's the same as the others in a sense.

Anyway, I'm off to finish Land.

bassman
29-Nov-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm rewatching Land today, just got the last 20 minutes to go, and I remember the music. Perhaps it's a thing some people are more likely to remember than others, it's like music in general. I'm pretty ropey are remembering the words, but the instruments - the music - that I can remember quite well.

Yeah, Dawn and Day had superb music, Land was on-par with Night at least, if not a bit above I say.

Watching Land again has confirmed that I still love it and appreciate it very much, and I also like how it's completely different from the ones before, as each of them are to one another. If he'd just done Dawn 2 it would have been properly disappointing...and hence why Day bombed when it was originally released, people were expecting Dawn 2 ... with Land, the haters were expecting Night/Dawn/Day 2 ... and they can "oh it just sucked" as much as they like, but you flat out know that my statement is true...at the very least for some.

I was expecting something different, and even from the trailers/preview clips/just hearing about it - it was plainly obvious it was going to be different, just like all the others were different from each other ... so you could, in a way, say it's the same as the others in a sense.

http://www.layoutlounge.com/Images/Borat_Comment_Images/images/borat-high-five.jpg

Huescacho
29-Nov-2007, 05:25 PM
I voted for Day, but Land, is a good movie. Land needs a few more zombies, but, I liked it!. I don't remember the name of the black man police, but I think that he is the coolest guy of the movie.

MinionZombie
29-Nov-2007, 05:42 PM
Just finished Land, and it's still awesome.

Aside from #9, my favourite zombie would be the cop/security guard zombie in the booze store. That guy had the zombie vibe down, brilliantly done.

There are quite a lot of zombies in Land, but many of the shots focus on smaller rabbles of zombies. But when they swarm out of the water you see the scale, and those really wide top-down shots of the streets. It'll be down to limited budget for effects shots that kept the massive crowd shots down, but you get a sense of the scale.

But think about it, in Day of the Dead where zombies are 400,000: 1, you don't see that many. The crowd in the Florida street is fairly big, not epic, just large...then the gang of zeds at the gate, again, large but not epic - so even in that film, which was originally to be the big extravaganza, skimps on the zed volume you could easily say.

A lot of criticisms Land has been given can easily be leveled at Day, thus bringing me back to the reason why the haters hated Land was because they were expecting something, and particularly expecting the first three movies - all of which couldn't be more different from one another, which brings me back again to - so Land is essentially the same as the others, because it's so different from the others.

clanglee
29-Nov-2007, 08:39 PM
If he'd just done Dawn 2 it would have been properly disappointing...and hence why Day bombed when it was originally released, people were expecting Dawn 2 ... with Land, the haters were expecting Night/Dawn/Day 2 ... and they can "oh it just sucked" as much as they like, but you flat out know that my statement is true...at the very least for some.

I was NOT expecting Night/Dawn/Day 2. But I was expecting a well constructed movie that made sense. Land was most definitely not that, and that's why it sucked.

bassman
29-Nov-2007, 08:41 PM
I was NOT expecting Night/Dawn/Day 2. But I was expecting a well constructed movie that made sense. Land was most definitely not that, and that's why it sucked.

What didn't make sense? Wait.....don't answer that...

I smell a rotting carcass of some sort.....

:shifty:

clanglee
29-Nov-2007, 09:22 PM
If he'd just done Dawn 2 it would have been properly disappointing...and hence why Day bombed when it was originally released, people were expecting Dawn 2 ... with Land, the haters were expecting Night/Dawn/Day 2 ... and they can "oh it just sucked" as much as they like, but you flat out know that my statement is true...at the very least for some.

You appolgists claim you like the movie. Good for you. Quit assuming you know why we don't. Obviously we don't see the movie quite the same way. End of story.

Doc
29-Nov-2007, 09:59 PM
Golly Gee I can't beleive Land actually got 4 votes.:eek: Also Clanglee right Land was not that great. I mean it was almost Fail IMO.

Also the soundtracks of Dawn and Day are easily the best soundtracks of the series ever.:D

MinionZombie
30-Nov-2007, 10:18 AM
What didn't make sense? Wait.....don't answer that...

I smell a rotting carcass of some sort.....

:shifty:
I know, it makes perfect sense. There's nothing that doesn't make sense about it, because unlike Yawn04, you can't watch Land with your brain shut off with your cock in the popcorn waiting for your date to touch your wang. :rolleyes:

Trin
30-Nov-2007, 10:28 AM
I liked Day. I may very well have been expecting Dawn 2 when I saw Day. Yet when I saw Day I was like "wow, that was different... cool."

The first 3 movies *were* all different in many ways. No one could've expected Night/Dawn/Day 2 - to do so would've been expecting 3 different movies.

But the originals were the same in one notable way - each had an intriguing story with well constructed plot. And, yes, the Land-haters expected that Land would deliver the same. But it didn't. It just didn't. "You flat out know that my statement is true." I spent half the movie questioning the events, the setup, and the motivations.

You appolgists claim you like the movie. Good for you. Quit assuming you know why we don't.
You see, clanglee, they are clairvoyant. Like Bid Daddy was. They understand why we dislike Land better than we do. And they just know who the villain is, where he is hiding, and in the end are just looking for a place where everyone loves Land. :):lol:

ProfessorChaos
30-Nov-2007, 01:42 PM
You see, clanglee, they are clairvoyant. Like Bid Daddy was. They understand why we dislike Land better than we do. And they just know who the villain is, where he is hiding, and in the end are just looking for a place where everyone loves Land. :):lol:

they'll have to walk underwater across a riverbed to get there, which shouldn't be a problem either.:lol:

bassman
30-Nov-2007, 02:15 PM
You know....you guys can snicker about our opinions and defense of Land all you want, but at least we were talking about the film and not throwing out little back handed insults.:rolleyes:

Mike70
30-Nov-2007, 04:16 PM
You know....you guys can snicker about our opinions and defense of Land all you want, but at least we were talking about the film and not throwing out little back handed insults.:rolleyes:

ad hominem attacks are always easier than rational debate.

i like land, as i like all of romero's zombie films (and most of his other flicks as well) but day is my favorite film ever. i have nothing major against land. i simply prefer day.

there is something about big daddy that seems to excite the worst in some persons on this board. is he annoying? yes, most definitely. is it worth getting your panties in a twist and getting nasty over? most definitely not.

you can't watch Land with your brain shut off with your cock in the popcorn waiting for your date to touch your wang. :rolleyes:

speaking from experience here, MZ?:shifty::p:D:lol:

bassman
30-Nov-2007, 04:23 PM
there is something about big daddy that seems to excite the worst in some persons on this board. is he annoying? yes, most definitely. is it worth getting your panties in a twist and getting nasty over? most definitely not.

I think EVERY person that likes Land agrees that Big Daddy was not executed correctly. The idea was an awesome one, but somehow they didn't get it to come out right. Maybe if it were a different actor, but I don't know.

On Eugene Clark's IMDB page there is a thread titled "ARRGGGHHH" and that's basically all it consists of. Yet somehow, alot of people seem to think he did a good job with the role. Takes all kinds, I 'spose.

Trin
30-Nov-2007, 06:56 PM
You know....you guys can snicker about our opinions and defense of Land all you want, but at least we were talking about the film and not throwing out little back handed insults.:rolleyes:You obviously went into this conversation with the wrong expectations and that's what ruined it for you. :p

ad hominem attacks are always easier than rational debate.Oh, you would say that. :lol::lol::lol:
(now you gotta admit - that's funny!!!)

And about the film...

I actually didn't mind the Eugene Clark acting. And while I didn't enjoy it, the idea of an intelligent zombie didn't kill the movie for me. My dislike is firmly rooted in the bad plot.

bassman
30-Nov-2007, 06:58 PM
You obviously went into this conversation with the wrong expectations and that's what ruined it for you. :p

:rockbrow:

I suppose that was an attempt at humor.:|

Oh well. Land is just getting the same wrap that Day got upon it's release. Over time, Land will be considered a worthy entry by most just like Day.

Mike70
30-Nov-2007, 07:11 PM
Oh, you would say that. :lol::lol::lol:
(now you gotta admit - that's funny!!!)

i fail to see what is funny about that? please reach into your bag of ineluctable logic and enlighten us.

clanglee
30-Nov-2007, 07:58 PM
Ok, I've said it before, I'll say it again. I do not HATE land of the dead. I don't like the movie particularly, but I don't hate it. There were glaring problems in the plot and feel of the movie that I could not overlook. The money issue, There were continuous silly mistakes being made by zombie world veterans. It just didn't work for me.

I'm sorry Bass, but by insulting the film, we are kinda talking about it. Besides, I don't think it's my place to offer GAR "constructive critisim" I'm just gonna say what I don't like about the movie. If that's insulting, so be it.

bassman
30-Nov-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm sorry Bass, but by insulting the film, we are kinda talking about it. Besides, I don't think it's my place to offer GAR "constructive critisim" I'm just gonna say what I don't like about the movie. If that's insulting, so be it.

That's not what I meant, dude. Talk about what you did or did not like about the film, but I was referring to a statement Trin made on the last page that was meant as an attack toward the people who do like the film. Something about being clairvoyant.:rolleyes:

Trin
30-Nov-2007, 08:26 PM
:rockbrow:

I suppose that was an attempt at humor.:|

Oh well. Land is just getting the same wrap that Day got upon it's release. Over time, Land will be considered a worthy entry by most just like Day.
I don't know what else to do but laugh man. I mean, honestly, you say "at least we were talking about the film." What part of MZ telling us we don't understand our own expectations/dislikes is talking about the film?

It's just a bit frustrating. I cannot point out a flaw of this movie without a land-lover telling me it's a personal problem of mine. If I see a plot hole that's me not working hard enough to come up with a reason how it could make sense. If I don't like the message that's me not understanding it or being too lazy to think it through. Can't I just dislike the movie without it being thrown back at me as a character flaw?

I think I do a good job of pointing out the things in the movie I like and giving credit to the things in the movie that other folks like. But anything I dislike is addressed by pointing out personality aspects, not movie merits.

i fail to see what is funny about that? please reach into your bag of ineluctable logic and enlighten us.
ad hominem - rebutting the person's statement with a personal attack? Then I say - "Oh, you would say that." Come on!! That's good stuff!! Ah well, once again my wit is seemingly for my sole enjoyment. No harm intended...

bassman
30-Nov-2007, 08:33 PM
MZ stated his opinion that the general audience went in expecting a certain film. In return, you tried your best to offend him with a "witty" remark. There's a difference.

Anyway, believe what you will. You're entitled to it.

clanglee
30-Nov-2007, 08:54 PM
I know, it makes perfect sense. There's nothing that doesn't make sense about it, because unlike Yawn04, you can't watch Land with your brain shut off with your cock in the popcorn waiting for your date to touch your wang. :rolleyes:

Actually that's the only way to watch Land. If your brain is on at the time, you notice the problems.

And how is that not insulting by the way!! :D

Mike70
30-Nov-2007, 09:03 PM
.ad hominem - rebutting the person's statement with a personal attack? Then I say - "Oh, you would say that." Come on!! That's good stuff!! Ah well, once again my wit is seemingly for my sole enjoyment. No harm intended...

i get it. don't worry i am the only one who finds me funny.:p

MinionZombie
30-Nov-2007, 09:10 PM
Well, if anyone would care to search the forum, they'll find my extensive and detailed explanations and defendments (yes, it's a new awesome word I made up :D) regarding Land...as you'll see, I've had faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more than the expectation remark to talk about.

You'll also find the same depth of explanation regarding my contempt for Yawn04.

Reading what the haters have said about Land, it more often than not ultimately comes down to going in expecting something specific, and not getting - and as I've constantly said about movie-going in general, expectation is the worst thing you could do to any movie.

Now, people saying "it sucks" or 'it was poorly written' or 'it was executed horribly' are the sort of vastly sweeping & unexplained statements that grind the gears of chaps like bassman and myself.

Mike70
30-Nov-2007, 09:25 PM
Well, if anyone would care to search the forum, they'll find my extensive and detailed explanations and defendments (yes, it's a new awesome word I made up :D) regarding Land

it's not in the thread with, uh ahem, 687 replies is it??

Trin
30-Nov-2007, 09:38 PM
MZ stated his opinion that the general audience went in expecting a certain film. In return, you tried your best to offend him with a "witty" remark. There's a difference.

Anyway, believe what you will. You're entitled to it.I *was* trying to make a witty remark. I *was* trying to poke fun at all of us for the never-ending argument. I *was* trying to poke fun at Big Daddy for being clairvoyant. And, yes, I *was* trying to point out my disapproval of people claiming they know what I think better than I do.

I was NOT trying to offend MZ or the other land-lovers. If it came off that way I'm sorry. Peace.

GhostWolf
30-Nov-2007, 10:19 PM
I liked them both equally.

I say this becuase, to me anyway, they were completely different. Not even in the same world one might say. I could be wrong, and if so i'm not going to be dissapointed should someone present me with evidence to that effect.

Day followed the small group of survivors theme as seen in the first two movies. The world had gone to pot, and for all we know these are the only people left. It showed the conflicts and tensions between the various clicks within the group. And ended with there only being a few living individuals left at the end of the movie.
Rhodes is a character i enjoy hating. Bub is awesome. And the "jesus joeseph and marry" guy reminds me alot of an uncle of mine ( how can you not enjoy your stereotype irish character?)

Land offered an entirely different perspective which didn't seem to fit together with the other movies. Which is probably why i enjoyed it so much. To me it brought a freshness to the trilogy which was needed.
Land also offered us a view into what a larger population of survivors might be like in a post-zombie apocolypse world. Not just fifteen or less people, but a few hundred. Society trying to re-establish itself in some way after a great collapse.
As in Day, there was a learning zombie. Unlike in day, he was alittle too smart and could teach others. But it was essential in making any sort of plot or storyline. After all, if it was just your average shamblers a few hundred armed people in a fortified setting shouldn't have much difficulty fending off vastly superior numbers indefinetly.

AcesandEights
30-Nov-2007, 10:44 PM
Jesus, this has snowballed into another love vs. hate thread, as I knew it would. Just...never mind. Have fun and play nice.

acealive1
30-Nov-2007, 10:59 PM
land is better,cuz the story grows stale when they dont move around a bit. I.E. being stuck in an underground bunker.

clanglee
30-Nov-2007, 11:02 PM
:lol::lol::lol: ,

Really, this is kinda stupid. Enough I say. Land is too controversial. We just all have to put this aside and agree to disagree about this movie. You guys can't make us like the movie, and we can't gift you guys with a sense of taste. ;) Seriously tho, it is enough. . .I'm through.

ummm. . .unless somebody brings up a really juicy point that I can't resist.

Mike70
01-Dec-2007, 02:33 AM
:lol::lol::lol: ,

Really, this is kinda stupid. Enough I say. Land is too controversial. We just all have to put this aside and agree to disagree about this movie. You guys can't make us like the movie, and we can't gift you guys with a sense of taste. ;) Seriously tho, it is enough. . .I'm through.

ummm. . .unless somebody brings up a really juicy point that I can't resist.

dude i guess it is your avatar but every time i read one of your posts i hear bruce campbell's elvis in my head.:D

thank you, thank you very much.

clanglee
01-Dec-2007, 06:09 AM
I wish man, that would be awesome.

What I shoulda said is "This whole Land argument is bigger than a bannana peanutbutter sandwich. It irritates me more than the growth on mah pecker!"

:cool:

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2007, 11:22 AM
From the main Land forum and even in the Dead Remakes forum, just define the user (if possible) - i.e. me, then type the likes of "Land, Dead, awesome" or likewise "Yawn04, sucks, balls" and you should come across a veritable treasure trove of the inner thoughts of MZ. :D

Also, another reason I've just thought of for Land haters to hate, a background one if you will, something that's there but not immediately what you'd put your finger on. Land was made 20 years later...my point being, GAR has a whole new troop of folks being him.

No Savini, No Gornick, No Buba, etc...

Yeah, Savini makes a short cameo in Land, but it's not exactly contributing to the production in any way. A link to GAR's past does come with Nicotero, but beyond that, there's isn't much of a link to GAR's productions of the 70's and 80's - and that vibe, from those movies, is somewhat lost a result.

Perhaps that's a felt, but generally unacknowledged cause of hatred amongst some haters perhaps.

Mind you, Day was a bit different to Dawn and Night - because GAR didn't edit it. If you look and Day versus Dawn and Night, they look and feel very different. Day also sounds very different because of the soundtrack as well.

As has been raised many times, Day was hated when it came out, but has since become a cult classic much loved by many - even becoming the most preferred. I think as Land ages it will fit better with the others for some people and I think some haters will grow to at least like Land, if not love it...

Land is like a sibling, but born after many intervening years. The older siblings don't know how to relate to the new sibling, and likewise the other way - but in time, they get over that hump and a relationship that works is developed.

I also wonder if Land will become more liked after Diary is released, because then Diary will be 'the new kid on the block', and Land won't be anymore - at which point, I think, Land will start seeping in to the main trilogy to become the tetralogy we now have - but some refuse to accept.

Anyway, just some more ponderings from my brain. :D

Mike70
01-Dec-2007, 03:59 PM
No Gornick

yeah whatever happened to michael gornick? i really liked the style he shot things in.

last i heard of him he worked on "the stand" mini-series and the vernon johns bio-pic.

i just ran that through advanced search and am going to dig through them.

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2007, 05:49 PM
yeah whatever happened to michael gornick? i really liked the style he shot things in.

last i heard of him he worked on "the stand" mini-series and the vernon johns bio-pic.

i just ran that through advanced search and am going to dig through them.
Indeed, seems to have done nothing since 1994...no idea why.

SRP76
01-Dec-2007, 07:33 PM
Land has actually received a bunch of votes. I'm shocked.

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2007, 09:51 PM
It'd be good if there had been an option from the beginning like "can't choose" or "I like both the same" or whatever.

While I voted for Day, I don't love Land any less. I watched both recently, inspired by this poll, and loved them both.

I'm into a bit of a GAR kick at the moment, going through "Two Evil Eyes" again now, might re-watch "Knightriders" or "Bruiser" ... or I could dig out "The Dark Half", which I've only seen once.

Mike70
01-Dec-2007, 09:53 PM
Indeed, seems to have done nothing since 1994...no idea why.

it would be nice to see romero get with the old crew-gornick, buba, zilla clinton, cletus anderson, barbara anderson (minus richard rubinstein) for one more film.

don't know if all of these folks are still alive but it would be cool.

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2007, 09:59 PM
If I remember correctly, it'd be really hard for GAR to work with Cletus Anderson again. The dude passed away not too long ago.

*imdb's it*

16th March 2007 - cancer. :(

Mike70
01-Dec-2007, 10:03 PM
If I remember correctly, it'd be really hard for GAR to work with Cletus Anderson again. The dude passed away not too long ago.

*imdb's it*

16th March 2007 - cancer. :(

yeah that would make it kinda hard for them to collaborate.
damn that sucks. that is why i said i didn't know if they were all alive still or not. i really did not know now that i do i wish i didn't. i think there should be a comma in here someplace. but anyway thanks for that depressing bit of info.

Trin
02-Dec-2007, 12:04 AM
I see a lot of disparities between how Day was received and how Land was received. It's true that Day was disliked because it was so different from what people expected. It was a completely different type of movie compared to Night and Dawn. Too much talk - no zombie fighting. Over time people began to see it for itself and evaluate it outside of the other movies. I'm one of those people. It took me a while to really love Day.

But my experience with Land is/was completely different. I believe Land was the type of movie I expected it to be. It wasn't a curve ball. I wasn't surprised by where the movie went. I knew the basics of the plot before I walked into the theater. I knew I'd be seeing an intelligent zombie leader, and a group of survivors, and people "ignoring the problem." No surprises. I just didn't like how it played out. I've had plenty of times and plenty of viewings to try to warm up to it - longer than it took me with Day. My opinion - it just doesn't have the things that allowed Day to overcome its initial haters.

My prediction is that if Diary is well-loved then Land becomes a footnote to the series, not a cult classic.

Day scared the hell out of me. It's still the only one that I get the heebie-jeebies over.

Mike70
02-Dec-2007, 01:12 AM
I see a lot of disparities between how Day was received and how Land was received. It's true that Day was disliked because it was so different from what people expected. It was a completely different type of movie compared to Night and Dawn. Too much talk - no zombie fighting. Over time people began to see it for itself and evaluate it outside of the other movies. I'm one of those people. It took me a while to really love Day.

word. even though day is my favorite dead movie and most likely my favorite flick ever it did take me a while to warm up to it. i first saw it when i was maybe 15 or 16. i was expecting a huge action packed extravaganza-sort of a zombie roarke's drift. at first glance i really didn't care that much for it. but as i got a bit older and saw it a few more times, i came to see it as the powerful, well written opus that it is.

capncnut
02-Dec-2007, 07:00 AM
Land has actually received a bunch of votes. I'm shocked.
Yeah, exactly what I was going to say.

panic
03-Dec-2007, 07:25 AM
I just wanted to add, that I have to acknowledge that part of my love for Day comes from the fact that I saw it first. A few years later I discovered Dawn and then Night. Because of the semi-cerebral perspective of Day, I always found Dawn to be kind of cheesy.

Nothing will ever top the overwhelming feeling of dread and claustrophobia from Day. Not to mention that Day has three of Romero's best character's: Rhodes, Bub, and Dr. Logan.

/p

Trin
03-Dec-2007, 02:39 PM
I just wanted to add, that I have to acknowledge that part of my love for Day comes from the fact that I saw it first. A few years later I discovered Dawn and then Night. Because of the semi-cerebral perspective of Day, I always found Dawn to be kind of cheesy.

Nothing will ever top the overwhelming feeling of dread and claustrophobia from Day. Not to mention that Day has three of Romero's best character's: Rhodes, Bub, and Dr. Logan.

/p
That's quite interesting panic. It begs the question how Land would rate if someone watched it first, then went back to catch the others.

Dead Hoosier
03-Dec-2007, 10:45 PM
Of course this topic has been beat to death, but I just have a hard time seeing how anyone could LOVE Land of the Dead. It's difficult to surpass Phantom Menace in sheer disappointment, but Land acheived that in my book. This list of complaints is too long to bother with over two years later.
Day did acheive a resurgence with time, but Land will not do so in the same way. Although we "haters" might marginally cool on our hatred, it will never go away fully. When you give somebody gold and make them wait 20 years for a kick to the balls, it's hard to get over.

Legion2213
04-Dec-2007, 03:31 AM
Of course this topic has been beat to death, but I just have a hard time seeing how anyone could LOVE Land of the Dead. It's difficult to surpass Phantom Menace in sheer disappointment, but Land acheived that in my book. This list of complaints is too long to bother with over two years later.
Day did acheive a resurgence with time, but Land will not do so in the same way. Although we "haters" might marginally cool on our hatred, it will never go away fully. When you give somebody gold and make them wait 20 years for a kick to the balls, it's hard to get over.

Good post. I'm one of many who creamed their jeans at the prospect of three more Star Wars movies...only to be brutaly shafted by Jar Jar Binks (oh the humanity!).

I think Land is the same sort of situation.

clanglee
04-Dec-2007, 03:58 AM
Has anyone seen that comedy bit by Brian Posehn where he compares the Phantom Menace to having your very favorite uncle, come up behind you and put his dick on your shoulder? That's kinda how I feel about Land. :shifty:

ProfessorChaos
04-Dec-2007, 03:59 AM

Good post.

was gonna say the same thing....awesome post.

big daddy is cut from the same sh!t-stained cloth as jar-jar.

Has anyone seen that comedy bit by Brian Posehn where he compares the Phantom Menace to having your very favorite uncle, come up behind you and put his dick on your shoulder? That's kinda how I feel about Land. :shifty:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

godd*mn...that's frakkin hilarious and disturbing at the same time.

Dead Hoosier
04-Dec-2007, 10:37 PM
LOL...gotta agree, too funny!
I had to sit and think about it for a minute, but Jar-Jar and Big Daddy are tied at No. 1 for the worst characters in any sci-fi or horror film I gave a **** about. The Phantom Menace and Land were both tragically flawed films that made you wonder how Lucas and Romero could've walked out of the final edit saying, "Man, that's a work of art," and that's without the horrificly bad antics of those characters.
Like any fine athlete, a filmmaker can stay in the game after his prime has passed, and sadly -- to me, those two peaked when disco was on its last legs. The Empire Strikes Back and Dawn of the Dead are the Citzen Kane of their respective genres...IMO.

Zombie Snack
05-Dec-2007, 02:35 AM
Day........My favorite GAR movie

Mike70
05-Dec-2007, 03:03 AM
Day........My favorite GAR movie

yeah boi. day is my fav as well. i think that it is the best of the lot. dark, well acted, claustrophobic and nasty.

Mutineer
05-Dec-2007, 03:41 AM
Definately.

Trin
05-Dec-2007, 06:12 AM
I've really gotta give Phantom Menace one thing - using the plight of a small nation-state as a sympathy point for Palpatine to rise to power was well conceived. It parallels many actual historic events and was very plausible. It's really a shame that so many of the other plot points throughout the new episodes made so little sense by comparison. "You can't possibly win - I have the high ground." WTF - the high ground??

Back on topic - I don't think Romero got worse with age. The original Day script, imho, was worse than Land. It's amazing to me that the actual Day movie turned out so ... sane. My sincere hope is that Diary will prove that Romero hasn't really lost it.

clanglee
05-Dec-2007, 08:46 AM
I gotta disagree with you there man. The Day script was quite good I thought. At least the "smart" zombies in that one were trained by behavioralists. But the Day movie was sooooooo much better than the original script. Land COULD have been better than that script, but it fell short. I'd like to read the original Land script and find out what was changed. Hmmmm.

Legion2213
05-Dec-2007, 10:09 AM

That's so twisted! :D

Trin
05-Dec-2007, 03:00 PM
I gotta disagree with you there man. The Day script was quite good I thought. At least the "smart" zombies in that one were trained by behavioralists. But the Day movie was sooooooo much better than the original script. Land COULD have been better than that script, but it fell short. I'd like to read the original Land script and find out what was changed. Hmmmm.The idea of the behavioralists made sense. And training the zombies as a fighting force was an intriguing idea. But come on man. Bub was a western themed zombie who took pride in his quick draw. Spider was a deaf/mute who they sliced open and sewed vials of nitro under her skin to make a walking bomb. The leader had a pit room where he hosted drunken orgies. It was wacky.

The Land script just needed some tweaks. Change Cholo's actions to make more sense. Give us enough zombies to inspire real dread and explain the soldier's panic and also why the citizens felt trapped inside. Provide a better plot twist for the defenses to fail. Abandon the idea that Big Daddy has to get Kaufman, whom he has no reason to hunt. Maybe let zombie Cholo get Kaufman. A bunch of little stuff...

ProfessorChaos
05-Dec-2007, 03:11 PM
Abandon the idea that Big Daddy...

Don't you mean "abandon the idead of Big Daddy? Or replace him with Bub?

bassman
05-Dec-2007, 03:48 PM
Don't you mean "abandon the idead of Big Daddy? Or replace him with Bub?

The idea? The idea of Big Daddy is a great one. Sadly, it just wasn't executed very well. Mainly because of the actor, imo.

Trin
05-Dec-2007, 05:29 PM
Don't you mean "abandon the idead of Big Daddy? Or replace him with Bub?Big Daddy doesn't really bother me that much. I don't *heart* Big D, mind you, but he didn't kill the movie for me.

Two things would've made me love Big D:

1) If the zombies as a group caught on to things more evenly. That would make Big D seem less an aberration. Let Big D be the catalyst, but then have the others make their own leaps of intuition/intellect. For example, maybe the meat cleaver zombie figures out to chop at the plywood himself rather than Big D having to show him.

2) If Big D's choices made more sense given his knowledge and motivation. For example, why would he get satisfaction from killing Kaufman? Yet he can walk right past Dead Reckoning without fear or anger?

clanglee
05-Dec-2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah, you're right about Bub in the script. That was just plain silly, would have been worse than Big D. Ok, in retrospect, you may be right. The script was pretty silly. But it might have pulled off well. We are talking about people going off the deep end here ya know.

MontagMOI
07-Dec-2007, 05:53 PM
I like Land But Day is not only my favourite Romero film, it is my favourite film, full stop. I saw it at an impressionable age and i have never been so excited about a film coming out, ever. At the time i had seen Dawn, albeit the heavily cut UK video version on alpha video, about 8 times and loved it. Then i rented out Re-Animator and saw the DAY trailer. Which i loved because most of the Day trailers are chock full of spoilers and i hate that about trailers.

Doc
08-Dec-2007, 05:00 AM
Geez I never realized that people felt this much much hatred to Land, but then again after seeing it again I think I'm starting to hate it even more myself. I'm actually starting to wonder what the heck was Romero thinking!:rockbrow: Also a question to other Land haters, what was it in your opinion that made this film flop so hard?

Legion2213
08-Dec-2007, 05:31 PM
Geez I never realized that people felt this much much hatred to Land, but then again after seeing it again I think I'm starting to hate it even more myself. I'm actually starting to wonder what the heck was Romero thinking!:rockbrow: Also a question to other Land haters, what was it in your opinion that made this film flop so hard?

1: Not nearly enough zombies...more like "Land of the Empty Spaces".

2: Big Daddy

3: Characters that I didn't give a sh!t about...didn't love any, didn't hate any, basically didn't give a damn about any of them, didn't care what happened to any of them.

4: Big Daddy

5: Pathetic, weak ending that annoyed the Hell out of me.

6: Big Daddy

MinionZombie
08-Dec-2007, 07:53 PM
7: Rabid insanity. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The Land Lovers gang is also pretty strong too ... then there's the middlers - the Land Likers. :D

Doc
08-Dec-2007, 10:01 PM
1: Not nearly enough zombies...more like "Land of the Empty Spaces". Really, I though there were enough:|

2: Big Daddy Why was he smarter than all the other zeds in town..... I don't get that.

3: Characters that I didn't give a sh!t about...didn't love any, didn't hate any, basically didn't give a damn about any of them, didn't care what happened to any of them. Charlie was the best out of all of them IMO.:) Your right I didn't really hate Kaufman myself.

4: Big Daddy GRRRRAAAAAAHHHHHHH! Is that how it goes?:lol:

5: Pathetic, weak ending that annoyed the Hell out of me. I don't mind the ending to be honest.

6: Big Daddy Wasn't he suppose to be different in the original script?

Trin
08-Dec-2007, 11:32 PM
Is there a category for Land-doesn't-quite-hate-but-doesn't-love-and-doesn't-believe-it-is-worthy-of-being-called-Romero-Dead-movie?

Legion2213
08-Dec-2007, 11:54 PM
Doc, there were nowhere near enough zack's in Land....look at the bus scene in the much hated (by some) Dawn 04....

http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/medias/nmedia/18/35/28/15/18381381.jpg

Jesus H frigging Christ! Hundreds and hundreds of the bastards, that's what land should have delivered, absolute, full-on zombies as far as the eye can see...now think back to when "Rolling Thunder" or what ever it is called is surrounded by about 20 measly zombies....so disapointing man. :(

Doc
09-Dec-2007, 03:10 AM
Doc, there were nowhere near enough zack's in Land....look at the bus scene in the much hated (by some) Dawn 04....

http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/medias/nmedia/18/35/28/15/18381381.jpg

Jesus H frigging Christ! Hundreds and hundreds of the bastards, that's what land should have delivered, absolute, full-on zombies as far as the eye can see...now think back to when "Rolling Thunder" or what ever it is called is surrounded by about 20 measly zombies....so disapointing man. :( WOW! that's alot....now that I think about it your right! Even Dawn and Day had more, after seeing some scenes of Land I now realize how few zeds there were! How many were there when they attacked the Green? About only 50-70 if I recall?

SRP76
09-Dec-2007, 03:49 AM
That does it.

I'm motivated enough....I am now going to sit through Land, and count up EVERY SINGLE ZOMBIE in the movie!

I'll bet there aren't even as many around Pittsburgh as there were around one shopping mall in Dawn.

Every one of them...including Cholo!

.....this could take awhile.....

Doc
09-Dec-2007, 04:18 AM
I remember one time when I tried to count all the zeds in Night....I forgot how many there were.... I should go check....I'm actually starting to wonder if Night had more....

SRP76
09-Dec-2007, 06:21 AM
405 Zombies

That's what I counted in Land.

That's actually giving them the benefit of the doubt. I counted 92 "stragglers" (that would be, every zombie not in Big Daddy's clan).

For Big Daddy's group, I went by the overhead shot of the city streets. I counted 313 black dots (I may be a few off; figure it pretty damned accurate, though). I give the movie the benefit of the doubt there, and counted each dot as an individual zombie (far fewer than 313 were actually shown close-up, I can tell you that).

That's 405, grand total, for Uniontown, the area around Pittsburgh, and all points in-between. Pretty pathetic, when you consider "there's gonna be a thousand zombies in here (a shopping mall)".

More to the point, when you take away the Uniontown Posse, the "entertainment" at Kaufman's, and the reanimated soldiers, you get only 34 zombies in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area. That's where the Bullsh*t Flag gets thrown.

That city should have a moat thousands of dead thick around it.

ProfessorChaos
09-Dec-2007, 06:47 AM
thanks for counting them up. aside from the crappy over-acting of eugene clark as big doofus, the total lack of ghouls was enough to leave me sorely disappointed. i bet that there are way more in day and dawn than land....pretty sad that you've gotta include "black dots" to count as zeds...and even then, there are less than 500 in the "land of the dead":rolleyes:

MinionZombie
09-Dec-2007, 11:30 AM
Yawn04 - budget = $28 million

Land - budget = $16 million

Yawn04 also had a less troubled production process, because it's popcorn-brained dim-wittery that the studios could see being far more marketable, rather than the thoughtfulness of Land.

Also, Yawn04 takes place at the beginning of an outbreak of RUNNING, SCREAMING, FLYING 'zeds' ... Land takes place 3 YEARS after an outbreak. By that stage zeds would have spread out a lot more, especially with the distinct lack of humans driving cars around amongst exploding gas tankers and crashing helicopters after getting attacked by your husband whom you just shagged in the shower to show the audience you have a meaningful relationship. :rolleyes:

Not exactly like-for-like.

Dead Hoosier
09-Dec-2007, 02:35 PM
No Land love-hate thread would be complete without the ignorant money issue and/or Cholo's financial demands. The whole thing was so absurd that it alone kicked the film to "B-movie" status immediately for me. Even a substandard director/writer would know such a ransom would be pointless. There is no valid defense for it, no matter how some might try.
I was actually embarrased for Romero when I saw Land. I would've never thought that I'd actually be glad when it was over after 90 short, unentertaining minutes. I tried to give it more looks when it came out on DVD and cable, but it just plain sucks.

SRP76
09-Dec-2007, 06:03 PM

Yawn04 also had a less troubled production process, because it's popcorn-brained dim-wittery that the studios could see being far more marketable, rather than the thoughtfulness of Land.

Also, Yawn04 takes place at the beginning of an outbreak of RUNNING, SCREAMING, FLYING 'zeds' ... Land takes place 3 YEARS after an outbreak. By that stage zeds would have spread out a lot more, especially with the distinct lack of humans driving cars around amongst exploding gas tankers and crashing helicopters after getting attacked by your husband whom you just shagged in the shower to show the audience you have a meaningful relationship. :rolleyes:

Not exactly like-for-like.

Wait.

Flying zombies? Where?

Land had screaming zombies, too. A whole lot of screaming.

And although they didn't run in Land, some came pretty close. Especially Big Daddy. And the "fighting zombies" weren't exactly slow and dead-like. They pumped up and got gangsta like Ron Artest approaching a basketball fan.

ProfessorChaos
09-Dec-2007, 06:07 PM
interesting thing i saw at a walmart: they have a 2 disc package with dawn 2004 and land of the dead included...i bet some people would get all pissed about that, bout like some don't like it when they have two types of food touching on their plate at dinner.

Trin
09-Dec-2007, 06:30 PM

Yawn spent all its money to afford Max Headroom in the cast though. So surely that makes it even. :p :p

SRP76
09-Dec-2007, 06:41 PM
Yawn spent all its money to afford Max Headroom in the cast though. So surely that makes it even. :p :p

I still say that if Max Headroom hadn't been suckered into pitching for New Coke, he'd be bigger than Oprah today.

MinionZombie
09-Dec-2007, 09:17 PM
Ug the goddamn money issue. It makes sense, it's obvious. They've set up an economy, money once again actually means something (unlike in Dawn where they just take the money when it actually has no use at that time).

Also, humans are humans in GAR's film and they like money, they're greedy for it and still attach value to it - because it's a symbol of the world that once was, it's something they can understand - hence it's continued importance. Practically speaking, with the economies of Kaufman's strongholds in various places, it does actually mean something again too.

And "Max Headroom" isn't worth $12 million for a 10 minute 'throw away emotion' scene. :p

The script for Yawn04 was awful...and my reasons for such a statement are extensive, do a forum search and you'll see in abundance. :D

Trin
10-Dec-2007, 12:03 AM
There was clearly an economy at work in Land, but it wasn't a free market economy. It was all controlled by Kaufman. The idea that Cholo could freely spend Kaufman's money in any Kaufman controlled stronghold is ridiculous.

It's also ridiculous to think that the old paper money was still in use. If it were then Cholo was an idiot for scavenging liquor - he should've been raiding cash registers. In one evening out he could've made more than Kaufman was paying him in a week.

Assuming that's true and they'd created their own money, then the idea that Cholo would have anywhere to spend it becomes even more ridiculous.

The comparison to Dawn '78 is not at all relevant. In Dawn '78 they were only a few weeks into the outbreak. For them the crisis might well have ended within a month and money might well have resurfaced as a commodity. As it was they attached the most minimal of value to it. They took the money because "you never know". They didn't risk their lives for it. Cholo risked everything to get money.

I hated Yawn'04 too. I just loved seeing Max Headroom in it.

Tied2thetracks
10-Dec-2007, 12:38 AM
I don't think either is a great movie.. Classic bad GAR DIRECTING (love the man) Jamacian black guy, irish drunk(in both) geeky white dr, bad white men in all. HE always has bionic women and spanish bull fighters. If forced to chose I go with land, even though half teh script is cliches."they arepretending they are alive. isn't that what we
'er doing, pretending to be alive?. "they are just like us, looking for a place to go" probally not direct quotes but you get the idea.

If you disagree go eat some greek sallad and that soup you just wasted.

Legion2213
10-Dec-2007, 06:27 AM
405 Zombies

That's what I counted in Land.

That's actually giving them the benefit of the doubt. I counted 92 "stragglers" (that would be, every zombie not in Big Daddy's clan).

For Big Daddy's group, I went by the overhead shot of the city streets. I counted 313 black dots (I may be a few off; figure it pretty damned accurate, though). I give the movie the benefit of the doubt there, and counted each dot as an individual zombie (far fewer than 313 were actually shown close-up, I can tell you that).

That's 405, grand total, for Uniontown, the area around Pittsburgh, and all points in-between. Pretty pathetic, when you consider "there's gonna be a thousand zombies in here (a shopping mall)".

More to the point, when you take away the Uniontown Posse, the "entertainment" at Kaufman's, and the reanimated soldiers, you get only 34 zombies in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area. That's where the Bullsh*t Flag gets thrown.

That city should have a moat thousands of dead thick around it.

That goes Above and Beyond the call of duty IMO.

Huge props to SRP76.

MinionZombie
10-Dec-2007, 10:13 AM
They were using normal, everyday money. And it still makes sense, I cannot fathom why some people have such an issue understanding GAR's inclusion of money.

Cholo just wants the money for the reasons I explained before, whether he can actually spend it means nothing in this situation, it's almost a symbolic ransom. If memory serves Cholo was getting 'paid' (Kaufman essentially just promising money, or crediting it, not actually handing it over) something like $20,000 per outing - which aren't frequent excursions, just when it's necessary.

So raiding a few tills - that have probably long since been raided anyway in less chaotic times of the outbreak - would be pretty darn pointless. The big money would be in banks - in safes and vaults that are locked and sealed. They aren't bank robbers. Any loose money, a few bucks here and there, would have been blown away/rained away long ago.

Also, when they're out raiding for supplies, that's their job and they're busy doing that whilst also keeping a look out for any zombies that might cause them trouble - as what happened in the liquor store.

The economy that has been set up exists within the confines of Kaufman's world(s). Outside of that, the economy is material items - the big bonus cash coming from booze, cigars and such - luxuries. Any worthwhile haul of cash would either be impossible to attain - as explained - or raided long ago already.

My mention of Dawn was merely to explain the notion of money's worth within a zombie crisis to GAR's protagonists.

Not saying you, but sometimes I get the feeling that some Land haters are so rabidly opposed to the film they're completely unwilling to give it a break, or look for things like like or even love in the film.

I despise Yawn04, but I think the gore is well done and the direction is competent (if lacking flair and intelligence), and certain scenes/ideas were pretty cool/entertaining ... but I still think the script was abominable ... yet my point is, I found/sought out things I liked regardless and talked about those too.

Sometimes it feels as if some Land haters are just ragging on Land like that monkey at the start of 2001 going ape-poopy over those bones.

Legion2213
10-Dec-2007, 01:55 PM
I shall speak only for myself here MZ.

I felt cheated, much in the same way that I felt cheated when I sat through Star Wars Episodes I-III

I waited a ****ing lifetime to see those films, what a complete and utter let down they were...only episode III had any redeeming features.

I feel the same way about Land.

I hope and pray that Diary will make up for this travesty, I really do, I want GAR films to be good, spectacular, leagues better than the average zombie flick, Land simply wasn't, I can't pretend to like it just because it was made by the mighty GAR.

Once again, I really, really want diary to blow my ****ing mind, I want to see the return of the master!

One last point, GAR didn't just let the fans down, he let himself down (IMO).

My fingers are well and truly crossed for Diary, the small clips I've seen look promising.

MinionZombie
10-Dec-2007, 02:32 PM
Nothing different from the usual lines from the Land haters.

Once again I say - expectation is the killer of any movie, and it's not the fault of the filmmakers at all, but the fault of the audience.

Legion2213
10-Dec-2007, 02:46 PM
Nothing different from the usual lines from the Land haters.

Once again I say - expectation is the killer of any movie, and it's not the fault of the filmmakers at all, but the fault of the audience.

Foul!

They aren't "the usual lines" they are valid reasons.

You make it sound like some sort of conspiracy against land or something. I didn't like the movie, I didn't enjoy the movie, it really is as simple as that.

If you did enjoy it, that's great, but I won't accuse you of troting out "the usual lines" if you defend it. I'll just accept that it's your opinion.

MinionZombie
10-Dec-2007, 04:37 PM
I do think the comparison to the the 'new' Star Wars movies is a bit ropey. They were prequels, their fanbase was far wider, their cultural impact was far wider, and Lucas isn't exactly a similar filmmaker to Romero. Also the differences between the original three and the new three are far larger I'd say than between Night/Dawn/Day and Land ... which is really an issue of simply Night/Dawn/Day/Land. Land is another film 'in the series of' in a completely different way from Star Wars 1 - 3 next to SW 4 - 5. I mean whatever, but I don't buy the comparison at all.

lol, and part of my opinion about Land haters and the usual lines of 'oh it sucked' or 'it was a travesty' or 'GAR let himself down and us down' ... is because I've heard that a lot from Land haters, so to me - that's a "usual" line, not meaning to directly offend you, just stating my opinion on the issue. To me, such sentiments are kinda basic and reactionary...but that's how they appear to me, hence my opinion over...well...an opinion...anyway...

Obviously I disagree with Land haters, but I don't really care because it's a matter of opinion, I'm just yacking because I'm a bit obsessive. Land did do quite well, especially in Europe, sold a bunch of DVDs, brought in more cash than it cost and survived the adversity of a troubled production.

Even here at HPOTD, several polls revealed that more liked (or loved) Land than disliked (or hated) it...arguments and cries of foul were had, but the same issue was raised in several polls and the answer was always the same, which was ultimately in favour of Land. Be they a simple 'yes or no' or several shades of gray, the answer simply did always come out ultimately in favour of Land...just saying.

Even this poll has caused surprise. Most/all expected Land not to get a single vote, but it's actually notched up several - over Day...a film which was derided initially but which has grown into a cult classic loved by many. Land has been derided by some upon it's initial release (a period we're still technically in). I think to out-right deny (as some have) that Land will gain love, like Day did, is reactionary to be honest. I think it most probably will be viewed fairer in time.

I wonder if Diary is going to suffer such controversy? Troubled production or not, GAR made the movie he wanted to make (or most of it - but how many filmmakers get to make exactly what they want?)...and who can really complain about that?

*sigh*

I'm officially done with the Land issue. I love it, that's all I can be arsed to say anymore. I'm done with the argument.

For anyone seeing this somewhere later down the line, like in weeks or months or whatever, for my further opinions regarding Land and Dawn04, search the forums...I've talked a lot about the two films and my feelings about them...which is also the reason I'm now officially done with the Land argument, as seen yet again here for round whatever the number is now.

You people tire me out. :D:p

clanglee
10-Dec-2007, 09:14 PM
:lol:

quiter;)

just to point out, shades of grey are not neccissarily votes FOR land.

What I liked about Land (in honor of Minion):

It had zombies.
I really liked the whole "nightlife" scene, the zombie carnivale.
Charlie was a cool character.
The liquor store scene actually scared me.

Actually there is quite a bit that I liked about LAND. It's just that the glue that held it together was weak, and many of the characters were just plain silly, and and and etc etc etc.

but there. . it's not all bad. Never said I hated it. I don't like being called a Hater. Just didn't care for it that much.

Trin
10-Dec-2007, 10:47 PM
Aw, MZ, don't quit. ( As if you could !!!! )

I'm not a Land-Hater either. Just a Land-disliker.

I'll also list my Land lover side:
- The first 15 minutes ROCKED!!
- The fireworks was such a cool twist on the zombie rules it almost won me over by itself.
- The music was well done (I went back and listened again after our last discussion about it - see? I do pay attention!!)
- Charlie, Riley, Cholo, Kaufman - great characters
- The zombie rats didn't get out of the script onto the screen!!!

So it's not all bad.

Regarding your earlier post I still disagree on these points:
- If they found booze, food, and medicine on the shelves then they'd find cash in the registers. Uniontown looked untouched by looters and Riley said as much.

- Doing their jobs never stopped Cholo from making extra stops along the way. If money is the goal why not check the banks? Not every bank could've been looted and surely some vault doors were left open. Cash would've been far easier to transport than booze.

I think the idea that certain arguments are repeated to the point of decay is a two-way street. You are absolutely right that many vague blanket hater statements are thrown around. Point taken. But on the flip-side the land-lovers have their own "usual lines." Dismissing dislikes as expectation problems is at the top of my grrrrrr list.

Doc
11-Dec-2007, 12:49 AM
Anybody think if they made it longer it would have been better?

Also another problem I'm wondering. Why is it that people were on the streets when there were buildings around?

Doc
14-Dec-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't have Land on dvd yet. But can someone tell me who was the actor who played Big Daddy?

15-Dec-2007, 12:09 AM
10 years, people.

10 years, not 3. That would explain why there were only 400 zombies instead of 400000, as a lot of them would have rotted beyond function or had been killed off during looting and rebuilding.

10 years. GAR said it himself 10 years ago. Anyone remember the tentative title Dead Reckoning?

clanglee
15-Dec-2007, 03:29 AM
the 3 years theory is based on the fact that people in Land refer to the Green being around for about 3 years. I don't recall GAR making a reference about Land being set 10 years after the outbreak.

jim102016
15-Dec-2007, 05:29 AM
Wow, what a lopsided poll. It’s like comparing a cheap dirty hooker to a deaf, rich, nymphomaniac socialite in my mind. No contest.

Great fire-starter, up to ten pages now!

clanglee
15-Dec-2007, 06:06 AM
I'd rather her be mute than deaf tho

MinionZombie
15-Dec-2007, 11:43 AM
the 3 years theory is based on the fact that people in Land refer to the Green being around for about 3 years. I don't recall GAR making a reference about Land being set 10 years after the outbreak.
Oh geez...someone get Deadman to come and paste in his timeline again. :p

Dead Hoosier
15-Dec-2007, 05:27 PM
Things I liked about Land:
1.) That it was made in the first place, even if it took two decades
2.) The opening sequence was OK, it could've been intensified a bit
3.) The chomping scene at the fence before and after Deak Reckoning unloaded

Things I despised:
1.) Big Daddy
2.) Idiotic decision-making by people that had survived for three years after the outbreak
3.) Horrific dialogue
4.) The use of weapons on full-automatic, a total waste of ammo considering the need for a head-shot and something that wouldn't happen after three years...but a pleaser for the young, dumb audience
5.) Money: Sure it would/could be used in a makeshift economy, but Cholo's "ransom" was absurd.
6.) Who could possibly care what happens to any of the characters?
7.) Not enough zombie extras to add actual depth to scenes, instead of using broad, fuzzy CGI
8.) The walking under water thing
9.) Zombies are supposed to be weak individually, but after three years of decay, Big Daddy was able to lift a street drill that weighs at least 100 pounds and smash it through safety glass
10.) Complete B-movie feel throughout, like it was thrown together and rushed to theaters in a fit of unforgivable laziness

Doc
17-Dec-2007, 02:37 AM
Even this poll has caused surprise. Most/all expected Land not to get a single vote, but it's actually notched up several - over Day...a film which was derided initially but which has grown into a cult classic loved by many. I agree with you Mr. MinionZombie sir. I actually though Land was gonna be 0, but look at it right now 7 votes! It never crossed my mind that it would even get 1 vote! Also for anybody who haves the dvd. I want to know is it wroth getting? Any scenes only in the dvd wroth seeing?

Legion2213
17-Dec-2007, 02:49 AM
I agree with you Mr. MinionZombie sir. I actually though Land was gonna be 0, but look at it right now 7 votes! It never crossed my mind that it would even get 1 vote! Also for anybody who haves the dvd. I want to know is it wroth getting? Any scenes only in the dvd wroth seeing?

Doc, it's part of your core, essential Zombie DVD collection - A must have (and I say that as a "Land hater").

Get the Directors cut, it obviously runs a bit longer than the theatrical version and also has a few deleted scenes in the extras (also a nice little documentry about Simon Pegg's cameo role).

Every GAR/zombie fan should own all 4 of his "Dead" movies and the Night 1990 remake by Savini (IMO).

MinionZombie
17-Dec-2007, 10:35 AM
Perzactly, it's a must-own DVD for GAR fans.

Makes sure it's the Director's Cut - and make sure it's the REGION 1 version. Apparently the Region 2 dir cut is a complete cock up and isn't the dir cut at all. :rolleyes:

I've got the R1 (got it 3 weeks after seeing it opening night in the cinema here in the UK :cool:). While I'd have liked more meat from the extras, they're still worth watching - even if the editing was done by some nonce with ADHD by the looks of things...anyway...if you're a GAR fan, get that bitch on your shelf!

Dead Hoosier
17-Dec-2007, 04:14 PM
Gotta agree as a "hater" that it's a must have. Though it didn't change my opinion of the film, it gives you a chance for further evaluation, and no Dead collection is complete without it.

Doc
17-Dec-2007, 11:57 PM
Well if even the haters say yes then I guess it's worth it:) Is the Unrated dvd the director's cut?

MinionZombie
18-Dec-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes, unrated is aka the director's cut.

Was just thinking, I haven't seen the R2 Dir Cut, maybe there was some confusion with who told me (I forget now) because of seeing the running times...PAL (R2) always runs shorter than R1 (NTSC).

Anyway, just a thought, maybe that was where the rumour came from? I duno, but I got the Region 1 version straight away, no waiting around for R2 for me on that one. :)

clanglee
19-Dec-2007, 01:12 AM
Yes, also as one of the so called "haters", I agree that you should own it. GAR deserves our support. Even if it's not his best effort, and . . . well you know, it is still a GAR zombie movie.

Doc
20-Dec-2007, 11:28 PM
I know this is off-topic, but I'm also interested in getting some of other GAR's non-dead films. Which films does everybody here consider are his best, besides his dead films?

Also anybody know the budget for Land?:|

Legion2213
21-Dec-2007, 01:19 AM
I know this is off-topic, but I'm also interested in getting some of other GAR's non-dead films. Which films does everybody here consider are his best, besides his dead films?

Also anybody know the budget for Land?:|

The only non-zom GAR movie I've seen is "The Crazies". It's a pretty grim ride, I keep meaning to pick it up on DVD, will probably do so after Crimbo.

Yes, unrated is aka the director's cut.

Was just thinking, I haven't seen the R2 Dir Cut, maybe there was some confusion with who told me (I forget now) because of seeing the running times...PAL (R2) always runs shorter than R1 (NTSC).

Anyway, just a thought, maybe that was where the rumour came from? I duno, but I got the Region 1 version straight away, no waiting around for R2 for me on that one. :)

MZ, R2 Directors Cut runs for exactly 92.53 - How does that stack up to your funky R1 cut?

MinionZombie
21-Dec-2007, 10:45 AM
Legion - see this is what I'm saying, I wasn't too sure about that rumour that the R2 Dir Cut was actually just the Theatrical Cut by mistake. If the rumour was based off of running times, then it's bogus, cos on R1 it's something like 97 minutes, so that 4 minute difference is just going from PAL to NTSC.

Theatrical on PAL is something like 88 or 89 minutes I believe...so I think that rumour is indeed bogus, but was just saying it as I'd heard it, but wasn't too sure about it at all.

Anyway, non-zed GAR flicks that are good:

Season of the Witch - not perfect, but I actually quite enjoyed it.

There's Always Vanilla - haven't seen it yet, but I enjoyed the clips I've seen. It's on the newest Season of the Witch DVD. I'll get around to it sometime.

The Crazies - great low budget early GAR flick, a bunch of gubment drones in white chem suits and gas masks gunning down infected townspeople makes for a good GAR movie.

Martin - probably the best/one of the best non-zed GAR flicks, vampirism in the modern sense.

Creepshow - just awesomely good fun.

Knightriders - harder to get into, but clearly straight from GAR's heart regarding "the industry" and "selling out". Epic in length (something like 2 and a half to 2 and 3/4 hours if I remember correctly).

Monkey Shines - again, surprisingly enjoyable...and it's got a monkey in it! :)

The Dark Half - only watched it once, years ago, must watch it again...certainly not his best, but still worthwhile watching.

Bruiser - I actually quite enjoyed it. It's not horror, it's a thriller. It does lack some balls, but Peter Stormare is enjoyable as ever and it's an interesting look at identity...although the choice of song for the end credits is so utterly and completely wrong. :D

And that's about it I think, hope my rundown helps. :)

Doc
22-Dec-2007, 12:20 AM
Season of the Witch - not perfect, but I actually quite enjoyed it.

Question!: Is there really a witch in it?

There's Always Vanilla - haven't seen it yet, but I enjoyed the clips I've seen. It's on the newest Season of the Witch DVD. I'll get around to it sometime. Are the clips on youtube?

The Crazies - great low budget early GAR flick, a bunch of gubment drones in white chem suits and gas masks gunning down infected townspeople makes for a good GAR movie. I only saw the poster for this one and I'm already interested.

Martin - probably the best/one of the best non-zed GAR flicks, vampirism in the modern sense. Yeah I've heard

Creepshow - just awesomely good fun. Is it faithful to the stories?

Knightriders - harder to get into, but clearly straight from GAR's heart regarding "the industry" and "selling out". Epic in length (something like 2 and a half to 2 and 3/4 hours if I remember correctly). Wow long. Is Scott from Dawn really in this?

Monkey Shines - again, surprisingly enjoyable...and it's got a monkey in it! :) Nice to know that.:D

The Dark Half - only watched it once, years ago, must watch it again...certainly not his best, but still worthwhile watching. Ok.:)

Bruiser - I actually quite enjoyed it. It's not horror, it's a thriller. It does lack some balls, but Peter Stormare is enjoyable as ever and it's an interesting look at identity...although the choice of song for the end credits is so utterly and completely wrong. :D I've actually heard this is Romero's worst film ever.

Mike70
22-Dec-2007, 12:54 AM
Wow long. Is Scott from Dawn really in this?

I've actually heard this is Romero's worst film ever.

yes scott from dawn plays marhalt. knightriders is not one of my fav romero films by any stretch. way, way too talky and way overlong.

bruiser- i liked quite a bit not his worst at all. i think his worst would be the dark half or two evil eyes.

MinionZombie
22-Dec-2007, 11:31 AM
I forgot to mention "Two Evil Eyes", I actually really like GAR's segment in it now, wasn't too keen on it originally and liked the Argento part more - then I re-watched it recently and switched my opinion. GAR's segment plays out like a Creepshow story, just a bit longer.

Also it's got that wicked gore effect of the sleeping bloke getting skewered in the gut, as seen on "Document of the Dead".

"Season of the Witch" is about a bored housewife getting into the whole wicka thing if I remember correctly, goes to see some woman who's all witch-crazy.

The clips of "Vanilla" are on the Night of the Living Dead Millennium Edition DVD.

"Creepshow" is awesome.

Doc
24-Dec-2007, 03:30 PM
I forgot to mention "Two Evil Eyes", I actually really like GAR's segment in it now, wasn't too keen on it originally and liked the Argento part more - then I re-watched it recently and switched my opinion. GAR's segment plays out like a Creepshow story, just a bit longer.

Also it's got that wicked gore effect of the sleeping bloke getting skewered in the gut, as seen on "Document of the Dead".

"Season of the Witch" is about a bored housewife getting into the whole wicka thing if I remember correctly, goes to see some woman who's all witch-crazy.

The clips of "Vanilla" are on the Night of the Living Dead Millennium Edition DVD.

"Creepshow" is awesome. THANKS MR. MinionZombie!:cool: Your like the best member on this site. :lol: By the way I heard GAR's comments on Land's commentary are very negative and I'm pretty sure it's true, right?

MinionZombie
24-Dec-2007, 10:15 PM
THANKS MR. MinionZombie!:cool: Your like the best member on this site. :lol: By the way I heard GAR's comments on Land's commentary are very negative and I'm pretty sure it's true, right?
Why thank you, Doc. :)

I've listened to the Land commentary, don't remember it being that negative to be honest. I mean yes if I remember he does address that there were some problems, but doesn't really get into a slagging match...I'd have remembered that if he did.

As far as a GAR commentary though, not as good as some others he's done (mainly because it doesn't have the 'bunch of folk getting together for the first time in 10, 15, 20 years' vibe that the others do being retrospective DVDs and that)...but it's still a good GAR commentary nonetheless.

The commentary for Bruiser was annoying though, the volume on the film was so loud throughout it was stepping over the commentary...whoever authored it didn't get the levels right - so it was a reet pain in the bum to listen to for that technical issue.

I really do enjoy GAR commentaries though, you're almost 100% guaranteed a superb listen every time.

Doc
27-Dec-2007, 01:22 AM
Do you know if the Land included in the Dawn remake and Land package is Region 1? I saw it today and was gonna get it, but wasn't sure.

MinionZombie
27-Dec-2007, 10:37 AM
Do you know if the Land included in the Dawn remake and Land package is Region 1? I saw it today and was gonna get it, but wasn't sure.
Well if you're in America and seeing it, then yeah it is cos that's your region over there.

As for whether it's the theatrical cut or the director's cut bundled with Dawn04, I've no idea.

Google or maybe DVDcompare.net might have the answer.

Doc
28-Dec-2007, 12:58 AM
Well if you're in America and seeing it, then yeah it is cos that's your region over there.

As for whether it's the theatrical cut or the director's cut bundled with Dawn04, I've no idea.

Google or maybe DVDcompare.net might have the answer. Thanks man!:) That's why your the best!:lol:

Also looks like Day won. Although I'm not surprised.

Bertors
29-Dec-2007, 12:03 AM
1. Day
2. Dawn
3. Night
4. Land

Anthony C
31-Jan-2008, 01:42 AM
I feel DOTD was much better... just a classic... I like how the zombies possessed the power to rip people limb from limb, unlike the previous films. Bub's character was cool too. In Land, I like how Romero invited us to develop some feelings toward the zombies. You begin to feel sorry for them in a way. In a way they represent the "proletariat", the lower class, while the upper class reside in Fiddler's Green.

Mutineer
31-Jan-2008, 04:28 AM
I thought the proletariat's were the humans living on the streets. :confused::rolleyes:

MinionZombie
31-Jan-2008, 10:26 AM
I thought the proletariat's were the humans living on the streets. :confused::rolleyes:
The zombies are as well, which again plays into the idea that Romero was putting out of there of 'they're us and we're them' - something he initially first grappled with overtly in the script for Night 1990.

bassman
31-Jan-2008, 12:39 PM
The zombies are as well, which again plays into the idea that Romero was putting out of there of 'they're us and we're them' - something he initially first grappled with overtly in the script for Night 1990.

initially with Night90? More like Dawn and Day, really...

MinionZombie
31-Jan-2008, 05:39 PM
initially with Night90? More like Dawn and Day, really...
Mmmm...I duno...the 'they're us and we're them' thing isn't a big part of Dawn, not beyond memories of the mall and basic understandings of say, a rifle ... okay it is part of Day what with Bub being trained, but it isn't as explicit as in Night90 or indeed Land. I guess that's more what I was meaning, it's really upfront and explicit.

Gimme a break, I was thinking of boobies at the time. :p

Trin
01-Feb-2008, 03:52 AM
A proletariat class by definition is a working class wage earner. The humans on the streets would qualify moreso than the zombies. The zombies were not even a recognized part of the society, which in Marxist terms put them below the proletariat class. But that's right in line with the message of the zombies being the lowest class, discarded by society, and emapthized with by an objective outsider.

Regarding the "they're us" message - I'm with Bassman on this - it started off very pointedly in Dawn. Fran says, "What the Hell are they?" to which Peter says, "They're us. There's no more room in Hell."

In Day it got absolutely pounded into us with Dr. Logan's remarks about them being us, just operating at a lower level.

Land, of course, took it much further.

DJEvelEd
03-Mar-2008, 06:57 PM
Loved them both but I thought more could have been done with Land. That's really splitting hairs trying to pick the better movie. They are both 4 stars! (out of 5)

RJ_Sevin
04-Mar-2008, 02:38 AM
Not even close: DAY. By leaps, bounds, and leagues.

DjfunkmasterG
04-Mar-2008, 11:15 AM
You know, Land's effects weren't too bad (with the exception of the two ovbious cgi scenes, the zombie priest and the drawbridge head crush) but Day had some of the best zombie makeup ever.

The Draw bridge zombie head was not CGI. I was on set the night they shot that. It was a real gag. They set up a portion of the drawbridge railing in the warehouse were the Car lot set was located and dimmed all the lights and had a small platform and a mini pool of water underneath. They placed the dummy head in the railing and SNIP...

the rest is on celluloid.

blind2d
04-Mar-2008, 12:22 PM
yeah, the priest was too obviously cg, but the rest of the effects were okay. Day still rules, however. it just had the best story and acting, in my opinion. also, there was just not enough crazy people in Land. I guess you could count that bum-looking guy who laughs at Riley for "getting f****ed", but that's about all. I'm really disappointed.

lullubelle
07-Mar-2008, 07:39 PM
I am not a Land hater, but it truly cant compare to Day, Biggy Daddy cant hold a candle to Bub, I did like Cholos character but still Rhodes is the man (bad ass till the end)
Day's storyline was much better and it was easy to like or dislike the characters.

blind2d
15-Apr-2008, 11:00 PM
good points all, and total agreement from me.

Mike70
16-Apr-2008, 02:29 PM
I was on set the night they shot that.

were you a zombie, DJ? or were you just on set for a visit?

if you are in the movie, where are you at?

bassman
16-Apr-2008, 02:42 PM
were you a zombie, DJ? or were you just on set for a visit?

if you are in the movie, where are you at?

Were you not around here then? He's got pictures of himself in zombie makeup and all. I very well could be wrong, but I think his scenes were cut except for a quick shot of the zombies against the chain link fence.

That's why he doesn't like the film. He's just mad that they cut his scenes out.:p

Mike70
16-Apr-2008, 02:54 PM
Were you not around here then? He's got pictures of himself in zombie makeup and all.

either i wasn't around or i just missed that entirely. i don't remember hearing anything about DJ being a zombie. now that i think of it though, that was most likely when i wasn't coming around much.